Gladiator "Flats"-but really walking sandals?

Okay I'll be the first to admit I'm not really crazy about the gladiator flat trend. I think the ankle straps involved in most of them and the flat soles make people look stumpy. That being said, I fully admit I'm a slave to fashion.:rolleyes:

I've been trying to find a pair of uber-comfy, walking sandals which 'masquerade' as gladiator flats. I know ecco makes one, but it's kind of "meh" to me. I'd like a bit of a cushy heel. All leather with those flat, rigid soles won't cut it. I'll die! Right now I have a pair of Dansko's Ava wedges for walking. They need to be able to handle cobblestones of our upcoming Baltic port-intensive cruise, and Paris in September. Any ideas?

I do have a great jeweled pair of sandals for changing into for dinner, but I was hoping to be fashionable with my daytime capris and jeans. If I can't find anything I'll stick with my Dansko wedges. They're not really trendy, but they're not an eyesore, either.

TIA for any suggestions!!:)

Hi i have bought 2 pairs of gladiator flats and i love them to bits, they are oh soooo comfy dont know about walking on cobbles though never tried it. go on buy a pair you know you want to. get the proper leather not the cheapo plasticy things.

Chrissy.

Hi:) they would probably depend on how supportive the last is on them.

If there is absolutely no support under the footbed it is probably not

going to be very condusive for walking.

I guess they are are the "in sandal" right now because I see them

everywhere. But for me? No thanks. I know what I like, and for me,

they don't look flattering or comfortable. But I guess I am in the

minority because they seem to be selling like crazy.

If you have nearby Lord & Taylor, they are having a sale on sandals next week. I was looking at the flyer and some look really nice.

I have some problems with my feet, mostly because they are flat, and I usually have good luck at Lord & Taylor.

Madelinerose--thanks so much! I found a pair from Born from your link which just might work...we'll see. I'm off to order!

Yes, I realize they may make me look stumpy and if I get them, hate them when I try them on, and can't STAND it, I'll go back to my uber-comfy wedges. But then again I HATED peep-toes when they first came out and I've grown to absolutely adore them. So I'm giving them a shot:rolleyes:

Hi:) they would probably depend on how supportive the last is on them.

If there is absolutely no support under the footbed it is probably not

going to be very condusive for walking.

I guess they are are the "in sandal" right now because I see them

everywhere. But for me? No thanks. I know what I like, and for me,

they don't look flattering or comfortable. But I guess I am in the

minority because they seem to be selling like crazy.

Hi Lois!,

I agree, they don't seem very flattering or comfortable; some of them even look silly to me - guess I'm getting old!:eek:

Susan

I don't like the gladiators either, and I'm very into fashion. I did buy silver metallic semi-flats. They have about 1/2" wedge. I think that's more comfy than completely flat.

As far as walking around in port, my comfy sneakers. I have a pair that feel like I'm walking on clouds. No socks with them, and don't even have to undo the laces. Wore them the day I bought them, and never had a problem with them. I wore them in Grand Cayman to walk around for a couple of hours. I love these sneakers! And they're not big, bulky ones like gym sneakers.

I don't like the gladiators either, and I'm very into fashion. I did buy silver metallic semi-flats. They have about 1/2" wedge. I think that's more comfy than completely flat.

As far as walking around in port, my comfy sneakers. I have a pair that feel like I'm walking on clouds. No socks with them, and don't even have to undo the laces. Wore them the day I bought them, and never had a problem with them. I wore them in Grand Cayman to walk around for a couple of hours. I love these sneakers! And they're not big, bulky ones like gym sneakers.

I too wear comfortable (practical) shoes while in port. Fashion will always take a back seat to comfort and safety. Here is a link to a recent RCI cruise where the poor girl was trying to walk in San Juan without proper shoes (pre-cruise of course), she fell and broke her foot. Spent her entire cruise on crutches and had to cancel the planned excursions because of the injury:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19926100&highlight=#post19926100

I am wearing today a pair of Dansko sandals - not quite gladiator as they lack the ankle straps, but criss-cross lace-ups. Extremely comfortable. I've had them for 3+ years now and they hold up great. They are my summer walking shoe of choice --for work, for travel - everywhere! I don't know the style name, and since I have owned them a few years, they might not make the style anymore. I'm sure you will find something appropriate and comfortable!

I was looking at some cute sundresses on line today and something was just off ..then I realized the clunky gladiator sandals drew the eye away from the dress and put all the emphasis on the feet. They are not for me either .. but they are the height of fashion this year.

I live in Dansko sandals .. and they have gotten progressively more and more attractive as the years go on.. this year they have some down right cute ones!!

I have to agree with a previous poster. Why would you buy something you don’t like, just because it is in style? I’m sure there are other current shoe styles you can wear. I see “everything “ in the stores and magazines.

M

I don't really like the gladiator shoes either, especially not the more extreme ones; they make even celebrities with great legs look stumpy, but I would like to find a modified type--more a flatter sandal with metallic straps; probably not an ankle strap, but still something of the look.

I have bad feet, can't wear the thong-type sandal, and need comfort too. I cruised our small mall Saturday and literally didn't find anything I thought would work at all. I'll look at some of the sites mentioned above, but I don't think I can order shoes online due to my problems.

Guess I'm stuck with my clunky, non-fashionable but half-way comfortable sandals.

I would like to find a modified type--more a flatter sandal with metallic straps; probably not an ankle strap, but still something of the look.

I have bad feet too. (I wear an 11 EE because of bunions.) I bought these. No metallic, but a sort of 'gladiator' look. I love them! They're very comfortable.

10280-859451-d.jpg

They're by Naturalizer. The style is 'Channel'. They were $65 from zappos.

Robin

I have bad feet too. (I wear an 11 EE because of bunions.) I bought these. No metallic, but a sort of 'gladiator' look. I love them! They're very comfortable.

10280-859451-d.jpg

Robin

Hi Robin, those are cute:). I could wear that sandal to

work:)...I don't consider them Gladiator's though. Those look

like comfy sandals that have been in style for years and years:D

Hi Robin, those are cute:). I could wear that sandal to

work:)...I don't consider them Gladiator's though. Those look

like comfy sandals that have been in style for years and years:D

I thought it was a stretch, too, to call them gladiators, but that's what zappos described them as. Funny. (They are truly comfortable and NOT ugly. I have size 11 EE feet thanks to bunions, so those are my top two considerations. :D)

Robin

From zappos' description:

Make every street feel like easy street in the casual 'Channel' gladiator sandal.

Robin7; Super cute! I think they'll do as 'gladiator sandals' in a pinch. We don't have to be technically correct-it's kind of the 'vibe'. I found these from Born thanks to madelinerose and they are SUPER SUPER comfortable! So excited!

I wear a size 10 women's so I'm amazed they look good. I have really long, narrow feet though (I'm 5'10'') so I think they're proportional:rolleyes:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7497145/color/181427

10280-859451-d.jpg

Robin

I agree not reallygladiators, but cute and not clunky and they do look comfortable--not so different from some of my sandals, except that I usually wear slides. I just wanted a metallic because it's "in".

I have bunions too! Horrors--and plantar fasicitis that comes and goes. I mainly need lots of support in the arch, cushioning and toes that aren't too open.

noteasily impressed, I like those sandals; not sure about the ankle strap, but otherwise really cute.

You might like to try Marshall's. I have size 11 feet (I'm 5'11') and they have so many cute gladiators - all colors and styles - some with thin straps or thick straps. The new Marshalls near us has all of the shoes in boxes like a nice store. I tried on at least 6 different styles.

Robin7; Super cute! I think they'll do as 'gladiator sandals' in a pinch. We don't have to be technically correct-it's kind of the 'vibe'. I found these from Born thanks to madelinerose and they are SUPER SUPER comfortable! So excited!

I wear a size 10 women's so I'm amazed they look good. I have really long, narrow feet though (I'm 5'10'') so I think they're proportional:rolleyes:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7497145/color/181427

I do like those a lot! Wish I could wear them. I have fat ankles to go with my fat feet so an ankle strap is OUT. That doesn't, however, stop me from wanting them!

Robin

I got this pair of privos at zappos...not 100% gladiator, but 100% comfortable!

http://www.zappos.com/product/7506643/color/4460

I really find that the bronzy color goes with everything and looks cute with shorts, capris and a denim skirt. The silver might work for you, too. SUPER comfy sandal!!

Smooth sailing everyone!

Archived