What Season Are You?

laurspag

I am what your chart says:D:)...I love the colors on my chart too

so I guess the chart is correct;), although I am not into the greens

so much, I love those purples!!!!!!!!! And black...who doesn't like

black? LOL And I am not into yellow either...but that is just personal

preference.

I have an olive skintone with dark hair and dark eyes.

So, I am definitely the Winter Pallet.;)

Hi Lois:

I found your post so interesting because I could not look more different from you since I have the very fair Celtic skin (with a lot of red/pink undertones), green eyes and red hair but I am absolutely a Winter. There is no way I could ever be an Autumn, and the Summer and Spring colors (forgive me Summers and Springs, please) are just too "blah" for me and my coloring - they literally wash me out. Isn't it amazing how you and I could have such different colorings but still look good in the same colors? But I am so glad that we do.

Valerie:)

Yes Lois! I've seen your wonderful pictures over the years, and you are definitely a full fledged Winter or what I like to call

Cool Bright and Clear!

And yes, the Greens and Yellows are very tricky for Winters - so keep thinking Cool Undertones, and Slightly Blue Undertones on those - then they'll work great. They can't be muted or powdery though, they must be bright and clear!

And see?

Your comment about Black is very interesting...

Black is something that really and truly only looks spectacular on Winters.

So many people buy it, and it's just not right for them, as much as they want it to be...

And it's a funny subconscious thing that I've found over the years, that people who are Winters think that everyone in the world looks great in Black! But, it's just because they themselves look fantastic in it, so they have a subconscious bias...

But hopefully that this will be fun for you in the future for shopping, and cruise packing!:D

Hey Curt:Dthanks for the reply and for the compliment.:)

Yes, I thought most everyone could wear black....what do I know?;)

I just got a really deep purple skirt that I LOVE. It is long,

sort of reminds of a broomstick but its NOT. It is flattering rather

than making me feel bigger (good thing) LOL. It feels like a silk but

its not so it is washable.

And today I found the perferct top for it. It has the purple in it

but its a print and when I tried it on I almost jumped for joy.:)

It is sort of an eclectic style, sort of fun and funky!

Hi Lois:

I found your post so interesting because I could not look more different from you since I have the very fair Celtic skin (with a lot of red/pink undertones), green eyes and red hair but am absolutely a Winter. There is no way I could ever be an Autumn, and the Summer and Spring colors are (forgive me Summers and Springs, please) just too "blah" for me and my coloring. They literally wash me out.

Valerie:)

Hi Valerie:) you are the exception to the rule:D. Gotta love my winter

colors;)

Hi CJW:

Good to see you back posting and thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

I can see that I am definitely "cool, bright and clear" despite the red hair and green eyes. I have never tried "icy aqua" but may check it out.

There is no way on God's green earth that I would try "emerald green" or "icy yellow", that's just personal preference. I loathe green, yellow, orange and brown. However, my complexion and my eyes "pop" when I wear true red, royal purple and black.

Looking forward so much to more insight. Consider me a true fan!

Valerie

I see that I was posting at the same time as you were. I'm still definitely "cool, bright clear" but pretty much stay away from the pinks (although I do love them - just not on me). The one that surprised the heck out of me when I had my colors done the last time was bright fuschia - I actually look good in this color, it is another one that made my complexion and eyes "pop" - who would have thunk? Certainly not moi!

Valerie

Valerie!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I have really gotten so many new friends from cruising and Cruise Critic, that I just like to help out or add my advice whenever I have time.

There are a very few people in the world, who have a darker Auburn Red that are Winters - but they are almost entirely of Irish/Celtic ancestry.

The best Reds on your hair are deeper, almost "purple-y" in their subtlety.

I'd never recommend it to Winters in general, as it's so totally rare.

But, yes! The bright Fuschia totally makes sense, it's Cool, Bright, and Clear - so there you go!

All those others on the chart will work as well as long as you follow that...

Forget Orange at all. It's just not going to happen for you.;)

But, as long as you really check, and keep the mantra

Cool, Bright, and Clear

in your mind when searching, then you can find Greens, Yellows, and Blues that will surprise you as much as the Bright Fuschia!

Have fun with it!:D

I'm also cool, clear, bright (Winter), but I'm confused about a couple of colors. I do get compliments when wearing a clear teal color (either blue-teal or green-teal), but it's not on the chart. I also look good in a color that appears on the Warm, Clear, Bright chart: Bright clear aqua. Does that make sense to you?

I am fair-skinned with pink undertones and light blue to green eyes. My hair was quite blond as a child, but is now medium to dark brown (when not highlighted). I look sickly in olive green and most orange shades except for the cooler ones with some pink in them.

I think maybe because of the highlights in my hair (which are more golden than ash), certain dark shades of chocolate brown are suddenly flattering on me. I do find that I get the most compliments when wearing what I always considered jewel tones.

My mom is one who like to buy colors that flatter her Warm color pallette, which never works for me.

Thanks for enlightening us on this!

Jane in CT

Jane!

You are one of those that I could never be 100% with, unless I saw you in person. So, we'll have to do a bit of back and forth...

There are certain colors that contain so many shade and tone variances that what is the true Pantone Color has many different names to it.

Teal is one of the most difficult to figure.

I'm thinking that the Teal that looks good on you is closer to what I'm calling Cool Turquoise or Chinese Blue as opposed to the Light Warm Aqua on the Spring chart.

It's more likely a Cool Teal.

The Bright Clear Aqua is a color that is tricky in the description.

Because there is a Bright Clear Warm Aqua that looks great on Springs.

And a Bright Clear Cool Aqua that looks great on Winters.

Subtle, but important difference.;)

But, you are definitely a Cool Tone.

It sounds like your hair color might be confusing the light perception, so just thinking out loud I wonder a few things (If I had you in person and could work my magic on you)...

I'd look into more "cool" highlights rather than golden. It should blend and compliment your skin tone much better if you compare the difference.

Again, I can't say for sure without seeing you, but are you possibly a Summer?

Dark Browns? Summers can do it. Especially if they are more Cool Dark Brown.

Otherwise, it's your "too" golden highlights that are skewing it...

Just thing to ponder...

Let me know what you think after reading this, and living with it for a bit.:D

Okay, so I'm going to look back at more questions and try to help figure things out...

But already I'm seeing a few things, and hopefully my info in the past few pages will help explain this...

It doesn't matter how dark or light your skin or hair is...

It's the TONE and whether your hair is naturally Warm or Cool

and if your skin is naturally Peach/Gold or Pink/Blue.

So forgive me upfront, as I start with some questions, as I'm going to help you to look deeper at yourselves to clarify...

Medium Brown Hair doesn't tell you or I what you are...

Because you can have Medium Brown Hair with Golden Tones

Medium Brown Hair with Copper Tones

Medium Brown Hair with Cool Tones

Etc.

And Fair Skin can be Fair and Peachy

Fair and Blue-ish

Fair and Pinky

All fair, all different tones...

So without seeing you in person, I'm going to help with some questions and comparisons to help you figure it out.

Okay?:D

Is it possible to be a combination of spring and summer? Both pallets are favorites of mine. I have no idea about skin tone...never could figure that out. I'm blond and blue eyes yet tan very well. I shouldn't wear black, but it looks fine on me. And I prefer gold jewelry to silver. Red, orange, brown, dark green, etc., are colors I never wear. I prefer pastels and bright colors. So, can I be two seasons?

Okay Laurie! I'm starting with you here!:D

I often see references to what colors are flattering for who, based on the "season" you are. I know I read up on this a while ago, but can someone refresh my memory?

I have medium brown hair, hazel/green eyes and I'm fair skinned. I want to say I was told I was a "spring". I can't remember what colors are best for me.

Any one got any info?

I find this so intriguing, because I get a bit stuck on what colors really look good on me, and which ones look good to me, if you know what I mean. I have always been drawn to colors like olive, gold, rust...it sounds like I'm an autumn.

Now, I've been highlighting my hair, but yesterday I decided I'm going to go back to my natural color. I like to cover the gray, but I don't think the highlights necessarily do anything for me, so who needs that extra cost?

I'm a bit heavier than I used to be, so it's been hard to really figure out what looks flattering on me. I'll save that for another post.

Curt, I think I might be on to something here!

Well, this is probably not the best picture to use, but I figure it's worth a try. I used mystic tan before the cruise, so I have a bit of color here. As stated in my previous post, I should be back to medium brown hair color by the end of the weekend!
Starting this post has really got me thinking about a lot things I wear, and how to do better. I was talking to my daughters (17 and 21) and they have shown interest in what their colors are. My older daughter naturally has dark blonde hair, blue green eyes, and an extremely fair complexion, that's almost that pasty white. I haven't checked the color charts yet, but I'm guessing spring? She looks great in pastels, and her best color is aqua.

My other daughter has darker hair like me, hazel eyes that can be somewhat blue at times, and a warmer complexion than me.

I'm starting to think more about makeup choices too, since it all goes hand in hand. Some of this is difficult when you are on a tight budget, but where there's a will there's a way. ;)

That is very true. Sometimes, it's just a matter of keeping your colors in mind when out and about. The thing I hate the most is that all work clothes seem to be black or gray. (I work in an conservative office - think JC Penney Worthington line of clothing)

I seem to get the most compliments when I wear red. Sometimes I have trouble deciding if I really look good in a color, or I simply like the color. I probably should invest in a swatch booklet one of these days, to keep me on track.

So tackling all of this (which leads to a lot of good answers from me in general for everyone reading)...

When you are wearing the color tones that look best on you...

People will compliment YOU and not the clothes.

Examples

"You look great today"!

"You look really fresh and well rested"!

"Your eyes look beautiful today"!

That kind of thing. You, in person, somehow appear better, healthier, more well rested, eyes brighter...

People think you look great, but can't quite put their finger on why.

If the clothing color is overpowering or wrong, then you'll get people talking about your clothes, mostly because it would subconsciously look good on them.

"Where'd you get that jacket! I want to get one"!

"That top is great"!

General subconscious clue to look for...

That being said Laurie, this statement doesn't quite tell me enough:

"I have medium brown hair, hazel/green eyes and I'm fair skinned".

First thing to try to figure out is if you are Warm Toned or Cool Toned...

How do you figure this out?

Well, first of all it must be in natural sunlight. Daytime, outside is ideal, but at least a room where the natural sunlight is streaming in by a window or skylight.

Now, here's a trick that I ended up discovering from years of having to do this in the craziest of situations...

Sounds strange, but find a bathroom in your house that has natural sunlight...

Take your hand/arm and hold it next to the toilet (or if you have a pure white toilet colored ceramic sink - no ivory, cremes, or other options involved - a pure standard white ceramic toilet or sink).

Adjust your eyes comparing the pure white ceramic to your hand and arm, and I like to look at the inside of your wrist and the color/tone of the palm of your hand...

Does it look kind of Peachy/Warm/Golden/Ivory?

Does it look kind of Pinky/Cool/Blue/Green?

You will fit into one of these options regardless of how dark or light your skin is...

You can't be both, one or the other...

Then when you have that figured...

Check the charts and colors I've posted above Peachy/Warm/Ivory will lead you to either my Warm Bright Clear (Spring) colors

or my Warm Muted (Autumn) colors.

If your skin tone seems to be leaning more in the Pinky/Cool/Blue undertones, then you should look at either

the Cool Powdery (Summer) colors

or the Cool Bright (Winter) colors.

You may need to start testing and experimenting with trying on clothes to see.

Pull your hair back. Don't let any possibly wrong hair colorist choices influence this. Pure face. No makeup. One palette or another will start becoming apparent.

On makeup choices...

Lets just start with lipstick...

Do you think that warmer tones work best, flatter you more?

Coral, Peach?

or do you think that cooler tones work best, and flatter you more?

Cool Pink, Blue-ish Red?

One of these will look more "fake" on you. Like they don't match. Like your lips are in bad 3D Movie jumping out at people.

One of these will just naturally blend, look more natural, kind of visually look more like they are just an enhanced part of you.

Once you have figured out your color palette, you will naturally look good no matter how much you weigh, how light or dark your skin is...

If you are in really perfect colors for yourself, you don't necessarily NEED a spray on tan, as at your pale-est; you will look great.

Start with all of that, and let me know how it's going and if this is helping.

;)

I have very very dark brown hair,fair skin and grey eyes that change colour from blue to green depending on what I wear. My skin has a bluish undertone. I look like death warmed over in black...salesclerks are always trying to suggest black because of my hair and are usually shocked when they see me in it. I guess this means I'm a 'summer" but those colours seem like blond colours to me. What colours do you suggest for very dark hair(natural) I was born in Scotland and have Celtic colouring. I was once told that I should lighten my hair as it was too much of a contrast for me....not going to happen!!

Thanks for your help

Moira

Is it possible to be a combination of spring and summer? Both pallets are favorites of mine. I have no idea about skin tone...never could figure that out. I'm blond and blue eyes yet tan very well. I shouldn't wear black, but it looks fine on me. And I prefer gold jewelry to silver. Red, orange, brown, dark green, etc., are colors I never wear. I prefer pastels and bright colors. So, can I be two seasons?

Nope!:D

You can't be both, especially not a Spring (warm) and Summer (cool).

It sounds to me like you are actually more of a Summer.

Cool, Powdery/Muted tones.

If you were naturally a Spring, then if you ever wore a nice Warm Brown or Orange everyone would compliment you on how great you look!

Pastels only look great on Summers!;)

Especially Summers who tan well.

Cool Beige can look fantastic as well, especially with a tan, if you are Summer.

And if you were a Spring, then there is no way that Black would look "fine" on you.

If a Spring wears Black, then they look sickly, unless there is a super warm bright pop of color near their face.

Black can look "fine" on a Summer, as it's still in the Cool Tones.

But, for Summers, Dark Charcoal and Dark Cool Grays are fantastic.

Those could be an even more striking alternative to you than black?

Read all that, look at the charts again, and see if this is making sense.

I can only see your Avatar small picture, but if you were a Spring, you would naturally be drawn to tons of Browns, as all shades of warm golden brown light to dark would make you look incredible.

If you were a Spring, then you'd never be drawn to wearing black, unless you need to have a pop of bright warm color near your face.

Check it out, and see how that leads you.

:D

PS What color lipsticks do you generally wear?

I have very very dark brown hair,fair skin and grey eyes that change colour from blue to green depending on what I wear. My skin has a bluish undertone. I look like death warmed over in black...salesclerks are always trying to suggest black because of my hair and are usually shocked when they see me in it. I guess this means I'm a 'summer" but those colours seem like blond colours to me. What colours do you suggest for very dark hair(natural) I was born in Scotland and have Celtic colouring. I was once told that I should lighten my hair as it was too much of a contrast for me....not going to happen!!

Thanks for your help

Moira

Hey Moira (love that name!)

I don't ever think that there is "too much of a contrast" for people's hair to skin coloring, as if it's natural - then it's all in the same tone.

Here's an example to think about...

In black, do you look "striking"? And that is why you are getting that reaction?

Or are you really looking "sickly"?

Yes, you could very easily be a Summer if the black is just too overpowering.

Think of that Color Palette I created above for Cool, Powdery (Summer).

Perhaps a nice Charcoal or Dark Gray instead of Black?

Have you tried that?

And those are blond colours, if the blond is a Cool Blond.

But as I've said before, it doesn't matter how light or dark the skin or hair...

It's all about the TONE.

As an experiment, you should try out some of those Summer Colours, and see if they seem to work better on your than black.

What do you think?:)

Jane!

You are one of those that I could never be 100% with, unless I saw you in person. So, we'll have to do a bit of back and forth...

There are certain colors that contain so many shade and tone variances that what is the true Pantone Color has many different names to it.

Teal is one of the most difficult to figure.

I'm thinking that the Teal that looks good on you is closer to what I'm calling Cool Turquoise or Chinese Blue as opposed to the Light Warm Aqua on the Spring chart.

It's more likely a Cool Teal.

The Bright Clear Aqua is a color that is tricky in the description.

Because there is a Bright Clear Warm Aqua that looks great on Springs.

And a Bright Clear Cool Aqua that looks great on Winters.

Subtle, but important difference.;)

But, you are definitely a Cool Tone.

It sounds like your hair color might be confusing the light perception, so just thinking out loud I wonder a few things (If I had you in person and could work my magic on you)...

I'd look into more "cool" highlights rather than golden. It should blend and compliment your skin tone much better if you compare the difference.

Again, I can't say for sure without seeing you, but are you possibly a Summer?

Dark Browns? Summers can do it. Especially if they are more Cool Dark Brown.

Otherwise, it's your "too" golden highlights that are skewing it...

Just thing to ponder...

Let me know what you think after reading this, and living with it for a bit.:D

Pondering....I actually have a hair color & cut appt on Friday (with 2 stylists both named Michelle who share a shop). I will ask both my Michelle's how they would describe my natural hair color and consider cooling down my highlights. (Right now, my hair is having color issues. For some reason the highlights really became too light since my last couple of color appts. Funny, because I am very careful in the sun and even wear a hat. I've been using the same color specialist for at least 15 years and have never had a problem before. Seems my hair is changing with the aging process.

Thanks for all your input. I do think the brown thing has to do with my highlights. The teals that work for me are definitely clear, strong shades.

I also do well with strong clear shades of pink (like what I consider a "Raspberry" tissue cashmere wrap I recently purchased at Nordstrom)

Here's a recent photo with me in the wrap, although the colors on my laptop aren't the same as in person. The wrap is definitely more dark pink (raspberry sorbet, in my head).

v80zmp.jpg

Pondering....I actually have a hair color & cut appt on Friday (with 2 stylists both named Michelle who share a shop). I will ask both my Michelle's how they would describe my natural hair color and consider cooling down my highlights. (Right now, my hair is having color issues. For some reason the highlights really became too light since my last couple of color appts. Funny, because I am very careful in the sun and even wear a hat. I've been using the same color specialist for at least 15 years and have never had a problem before. Seems my hair is changing with the aging process.

Thanks for all your input. I do think the brown thing has to do with my highlights. The teals that work for me are definitely clear, strong shades.

I also do well with strong clear shades of pink (like what I consider a "Raspberry" tissue cashmere wrap I recently purchased at Nordstrom)

Here's a recent photo with me in the wrap, although the colors on my laptop aren't the same as in person. The wrap is definitely more dark pink (raspberry sorbet, in my head).

Awesome pic, and I'm getting back to you fast, since you have a color appointment on Friday!

First of all your guy is most definitely a Classic Winter.

You can always tell when a man just "pops" like that in pure black and white tuxedo.

You are more and more of a Summer to me.

No Spring in a million years would look as good in Raspberry!

So, for your hair color appointment, I was going to start this later, but we'll start with you now...

Click on this link:

http://www.clairol.com/naturalinstincts/shade_palette/index.jsp

It's the Natural Instincts Hair Color line, which I think is the best for natural hair color description purposes...

For your highlights, you want to steer more in the direction of the

Cool Blondes and Neutral Blondes.

For lowlights, you want to steer in the direction of the Cool Browns and Neutral Browns.

Any of those shade descriptions on that website should get you exactly where you want!

Hopefully that is helping!

Let me know.:D

PS Everyone's hair changes with aging, but your hair tone will never change. If you are born with Warm toned hair (Spring, Autumn), then you will have that tone forever. If you are born with Cool toned hair (Summer, Winter) then you will have that forever.

Hi there. I can't say that I know what season you are, but I'm fair skinned with hazel eyes and medium-dark brown hair, so I'll share what IMO goes well with our features.

The colors that look best on me are brighter colors like turqoise, medium greens, brighter pinks. I especially love white. I don't know if that's a personal thing or if it compliments my skin/eyes/hair. I don't look good in pale colors or light pastels. And with hazel eyes, plum eyeliners & purple/greyish eyeshadows look really nice, in my opinion.

I'm sure green tops will bring out your eye color. Sometimes you have to try on colors that you wouldn't normally try to find new colors/prints that are complimentary. Hope that helps you. :)

You sound like a Winter to me...

Definitely not a Spring or Autumn...

Check my charts and compare the Cool Bright Clear to the Cool Powdery though...;)

Thanks CJW

I'm going to make an effort to find the powdery shades. I wear a lot of red and blue and sometimes they feel a bit harsh....I guess they were the "winter" shades....although not as deadly as black they made me look tired.

I'm going through my closet tomorrow and keep only powdery shades of the colours.

Thanks for the tips

Moira

Nope!:D

You can't be both, especially not a Spring (warm) and Summer (cool).

It sounds to me like you are actually more of a Summer.

Cool, Powdery/Muted tones.

If you were naturally a Spring, then if you ever wore a nice Warm Brown or Orange everyone would compliment you on how great you look!

Pastels only look great on Summers!;)

Especially Summers who tan well.

Cool Beige can look fantastic as well, especially with a tan, if you are Summer.

And if you were a Spring, then there is no way that Black would look "fine" on you.

If a Spring wears Black, then they look sickly, unless there is a super warm bright pop of color near their face.

Black can look "fine" on a Summer, as it's still in the Cool Tones.

But, for Summers, Dark Charcoal and Dark Cool Grays are fantastic.

Those could be an even more striking alternative to you than black?

Read all that, look at the charts again, and see if this is making sense.

I can only see your Avatar small picture, but if you were a Spring, you would naturally be drawn to tons of Browns, as all shades of warm golden brown light to dark would make you look incredible.

If you were a Spring, then you'd never be drawn to wearing black, unless you need to have a pop of bright warm color near your face.

Check it out, and see how that leads you.

:D

PS What color lipsticks do you generally wear?

Only pink. Not pale, it would be lost on me; too bright and all you'd see would be lips. I guess more of a rose pink, sometimes mauve.

Incidentally, I can't wear white unless I have a good tan. Ivory or ecru is great.

I guess you're right - I must be a summer, but I sure do like some of those blues in the spring pallet.

By the way, my blue eyes are really blue when I wear any blue shade. Otherwise they tend to be a dark blue.

What a fun thread this has turned out to be! :D And how lucky are we to have CJW here to enlighten us? :) Curt, thank you so much for all the time you spend helping the rest of us understand ourselves better!

I have always been aware of the whole color palette phenomenon, but never actually took the time to figure out my own palette. I just know what I like and what I don't like. So, I have actually spent the better part of this morning reading this thread, studying the charts, running back and forth to my closet and to the window with a mirror, trying to pin down my palette.

What I believe I have learned today is the following:

1. My skin tone is "Cool". My natural hair color is "mousy" blonde a.k.a. ash blonde (but my colored hair is a light "beige blonde", which I suppose is still a cool color). My eyes are blue, but may appear to have some green depending on what I am wearing. I definitely have pink skin, but I tan really easily (although, now that I am older and wiser, I don't lay out in the sun like I use to!) Peachy make-up looks horrible on me. I always select lipsticks and blush in the pink/mauve/plum categories. I always accessorize with silver jewelry (I think gold jewelry looks yuck-o on me, but do have some gold pieces that I will wear with certain outfits, but that is rare since I tend to NOT select outfits that "go with" gold.)

2. So, I am guessing my palette should be "Cool Powdery" a.k.a. "Summer" (and for the most part these ARE the colors I wear, although I have always LOVED to wear those "Cool Clear Bright" colors too, but as it turns out...that would be my MOTHER'S color palette, not mine :p, but I am assuming that because I am a "Cool" skin tone I have been able to pull off those colors even though I now realize that they are probably not ideal for me.)

What do you think Curt? Am I right? Do I sound like a "Summer" to you? Should I stop wearing those bright "Winter" colors I have amassed over the years and give them to my Mom? ;)

Here's an old photo of me wearing many colors (mostly "Summer" though, with a POP of "Autumn" around my neck)...

2531508490036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

And here is a recent photo (taken last week at The Grand Canyon) and I am wearing plum! I guess I really AM a "Summer"!

2441935720036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks so much Curt for explaining all of this so clearly! As you know, I've always known I was a winter but was trying to figure out DH & DS. I think with all of your descriptions and color palletes, I think I've figured out that DH is a Summer and DS is a Spring. Does that sound right to you?

Curt, I have always wondered what I was! :D It looks like I will have to go home from work and go in my bathroom and hold my hand next to my white toilet!!!! Hopefully that will give me my answer. If not, I'll be picking your brain to help me out! I would love to know what colors look best on me! Thanks for all breakdown on all the colors. Between this and my cruise out of LA next year, you have been a wealth of information!

Joni

Here is the Color Palette I call "Cool Powdery"

and others would call "Summer"

Your skin tone is Cool, with Pink or Blue undertones. It can be very light to dark.

Many people with "Olive" skin are this. They confuse the Olive with golden tones though, when it is really blue-ish green skin undertones.

Your natural hair can be Ash Blonde, Platinum Blonde, Cool Brown, or Brunette.

Eyes will be Cool Blue, Cool Hazel, or Brown.

I think I am definitely a summer. They are the colors that I have always been drawn to. I look sickly when I wear black. The only thing that stumps me is the eye color. What is cool hazel?

Thank you so much for your help. Love the color charts. Very helpful.

I was just in Nordstrom scouting out colors. (Think I've really gotten myself confused now.) Anyway, the color of the wrap is Very Berry and can be seen at http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGallery/store/product/SwatchSmall/7/_5781067.jpg

The link to the page with all the color choices is:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2815691/0~2376781~6002216~2383009?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2383009&P=1

Don't know if this is useful, since the color appears different on my monitor than in person.

Thanks for all your very informative input, Curt!

Jane

So tackling all of this (which leads to a lot of good answers from me in general for everyone reading)...

When you are wearing the color tones that look best on you...

People will compliment YOU and not the clothes.

Examples

"You look great today"!

"You look really fresh and well rested"!

"Your eyes look beautiful today"!

That kind of thing. You, in person, somehow appear better, healthier, more well rested, eyes brighter...

People think you look great, but can't quite put their finger on why.

If the clothing color is overpowering or wrong, then you'll get people talking about your clothes, mostly because it would subconsciously look good on them.

"Where'd you get that jacket! I want to get one"!

"That top is great"!

General subconscious clue to look for...

If your skin tone seems to be leaning more in the Pinky/Cool/Blue undertones, then you should look at either

the Cool Powdery (Summer) colors

or the Cool Bright (Winter) colors.

On makeup choices...

Lets just start with lipstick...

Do you think that warmer tones work best, flatter you more?

Coral, Peach?

or do you think that cooler tones work best, and flatter you more?

Cool Pink, Blue-ish Red?

Start with all of that, and let me know how it's going and if this is helping.

;)

Curt, I've been processing all this, and it's gradually soaking in. I always thought that I am one of the Cool palettes, but was thinking more Winter than Summer. Now that I think back, I was always better suited to the Cool Powdery colors through childhood and young adulthood. I do think my hair color is "messing" me up. My favorite sun hat is actually what I would consider a powdery periwinkle (like you show in the Summer palatte). It's seems to make me look "well" (as in healthy), which makes sense since it covers my hair! Eureka; I think I'm getting it!

I also remember trying on black dresses as a teen and finding that I could only wear the one that had some color near my face...interesting!

I've only ever been able to wear lipsticks that were in the cool family. Anything slightly peachy or brownish makes me look ill. I usually wear sheer pinks, certain mauves and true red (w/o any orange).

As far a jewelry, I actually wear a lot of two-tone silver/gold.

Jane

Oh Curt! My turn! My turn!!!

I've attached a picture (hope it works!)

I'm naturally a light ash blonde. It bleaches out a lot in the summer, so my stylist does a highlight and then adds in a caramel to cover the white close to my face. So the picture shows a bit more red than would naturally occur in my hair. My eyes are hazel and truly appear to be either blue, gray or green depending on what I'm wearing and the light in the sky.

I'm half Norwegian and half English, so have fair skin that tends to the red. I have rosacea, but it's under control. In summer I don't turn brown but bronze instead. This picture was taken in early June, so I hadn't had too much sun.

I think I lean towards the "summery" Cool Powdery colour palette that you provided. However, this year I have a lot of coral in my wardrobe and people always say, "that colour looks good on you", but I also hear the same for a cool turquoise, cool blue and pink. I have a natural affinity for blue-based colours, and can't even stand to have orangy colours in my house (unfortunately I'm married to a man who loves those tones :confused:).

I would love to hear your appraisal! I'm not colouring my hair this summer and just don't know if I'll go back to the same colourist in the fall as I'm ready for a change. And I'm always looking for an excuse to change my wardrobe ;)

Please, could you give me your assessment? Thanks so much for sharing your expertise with us!

Janine

Janine.jpg.0048d6c0dc51e7182b7043ee2a8a3837.jpg

Archived