What Season Are You?

laurspag

I often see references to what colors are flattering for who, based on the "season" you are. I know I read up on this a while ago, but can someone refresh my memory?

I have medium brown hair, hazel/green eyes and I'm fair skinned. I want to say I was told I was a "spring". I can't remember what colors are best for me.

Any one got any info?

I often see references to what colors are flattering for who, based on the "season" you are. I know I read up on this a while ago, but can someone refresh my memory?

I have medium brown hair, hazel/green eyes and I'm fair skinned. I want to say I was told I was a "spring". I can't remember what colors are best for me.

Any one got any info?

Hi there. I can't say that I know what season you are, but I'm fair skinned with hazel eyes and medium-dark brown hair, so I'll share what IMO goes well with our features.

The colors that look best on me are brighter colors like turqoise, medium greens, brighter pinks. I especially love white. I don't know if that's a personal thing or if it compliments my skin/eyes/hair. I don't look good in pale colors or light pastels. And with hazel eyes, plum eyeliners & purple/greyish eyeshadows look really nice, in my opinion.

I'm sure green tops will bring out your eye color. Sometimes you have to try on colors that you wouldn't normally try to find new colors/prints that are complimentary. Hope that helps you. :)

Hey there!

I'm literally on a plane right now, but I was thinking about doing a whole post and poll for just this question!

I did one for here a couple of years ago; but I should do a new one and update with actual color charts!

If you are patient, I can actually get all the info up in the next day or so...

I found the old one for now:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391007

Here's info to get you started:

Okay gals and guys...

So, I'm finally feeling welcome and okay here, so I'm really starting to have some fun!

I know that those of you in fashion may think that this is "old school", but I use it all the time, and I swear it works for looking your best (gals and guys) and for clothing, hair color, (makeup for ladies)...

What "season" are you?

Take the poll...

Trying to condense the idea:

Spring = Looks best in warm and bright colors

Summer = Looks best in cool and subtle colors

Fall = Looks best in warm and subtle colors

Winter = Looks best in cool and clear colors

Have fun!

Here's some info on trying to figure out if you are a Spring or Summer

Here's how you go and know...

Honestly, (without hair dye) what is your blonde hair tone?

Are you more naturally "ashy" (which means blonde with some blue undertones), or are you more "gold" (which means blonde with some yellow or red undertones)?

Are you really having pink (which technically is blue/cool) undertones, where you look better with makeup that is true red, blue/pink, etc?

Or do you look better with makeup that is warm (peach, coral, warm brown)?

If you are more cool, blue/cool pink/ash blonde, then you are summer.

If you're more warm, peach/coral/golden or red blonde, then you are a spring.

You know reading CJW's posts have made me re-think a lot of how I was dressing colorwise. I now avoid a lot of the gold warm tones I thought were best and go with the brighter colors. I quit dying my hair red and went platinum blonde. And suddenly I look way better.. I did NOT however give up my leopard prints.. I am just more apt to wear them with red accessories!!

You rawk CJW!!!

I'm very fair-skinned, medium brown hair and brown eyes. My absolute best color is "sapphire blue" (right in between royal and navy), but can wear other "cool" saturated gem tones like deep purple and forest green and even rich dark browns to some extent. Can't wear anything that has the slightest hint of orange so I have to make sure my reds are deep and have to be very particular with yellows. I can wear cool pastels like ice blue and baby pink, but anything too muted (especially neutrals like oatmeal or tan) will make me look ill.

So am I definitely a winter?

Hi,:) I love deeper tones and some bright ones too. So I guess I am

more than one season?

My most favorites are purples and blues and of course those colors

have all kinds of shades to them...lighter, darker, medium.....mauves....

along with the reds and their family of colors.

But I like earthy tones too.....

I have dark hair (actually its got some salt in there now) and dark

eyes. Everytime I post photos on here I think I get the most compliments

when I am in the blue/purple colors.

I am more than one season when it comes to colors;)

I had my colors done three times by the so-called official representatives of "Color Me Beautiful". The first one said I was a Summer. My husband said that he thought that I was more like a Spring saying "Are you going to believe a stranger or someone who loves you". So I had it done again. The second one said I was a Spring. The third one (at my favorite clothing shop) said that I was a Winter, but that I could also wear the Autumn colors!!! It was fun anyway.

The interesting thing is that when I've seen it done on other people, it was never ambigious.

I just found a test on line and it said I am a warm Spring. That makes total sense because I can wear rust, olive but also light turquise, yellow. It does help to know so you can buy what looks best not just the color you love. I love emerald green but it doesn't look as good as a pistacio green.

I had my colors done years ago. I won a day with a color consultant and makeup artist at a Toronto TV station. I am a spring. They even broke it down to vivid early spring. Think new green grass, the first daffodils, forget-me-nots. It was a real eye opener since I found I had been making quite a few major errors in my choices. Now it is so much easier to shop for clothing, shoes and makeup. I can go into a store and at a glance know exactly where to go and what to stay away from and I'm not a slave to the "new season's big color" that everyone is wearing this year thing. I was very suprised at how much I got out of the experience. It changed my whole way of looking at fashion.

There's a brand new "Color Me Beautiful" book out. I did the color analysis and makeover back in the 80s so I checked out the book to see how things had changed.

I'm still an autumn -- like the OP, I have brown hair, hazel eyes and fair skin. It was interesting to me that the book said that as autumns age, they need to return to the natural hair color of young adulthood. Sure enough, I quit the highlighting, and I look five years younger. Autumns wear the colors you'd find on a cool autumn day (rusts, golds, deep greens, etc.)

This is so totally awesome!! I finally know the answer to this question!!

I am a winter!!!!:)

A year ago, I was clueless - but then I ran into CJW on these fashion boards and he helped me figure it out. Like Kathy said, CJW rawks!!

Now I'm wearing colors I never would have considered before, and loving how I look in them.:)

So stick with it Laura, and Curt will definitely help you figure it out.

Here's some info on trying to figure out if you are a Spring or Summer

Here's how you go and know...

Honestly, (without hair dye) what is your blonde hair tone?

Are you more naturally "ashy" (which means blonde with some blue undertones), or are you more "gold" (which means blonde with some yellow or red undertones)?

Are you really having pink (which technically is blue/cool) undertones, where you look better with makeup that is true red, blue/pink, etc?

Or do you look better with makeup that is warm (peach, coral, warm brown)?

If you are more cool, blue/cool pink/ash blonde, then you are summer.

If you're more warm, peach/coral/golden or red blonde, then you are a spring.

Hmmm - the hair colour question. My hair is naturally a medium to light ash blonde. My hair stylist puts a caramel rinse in it because she says I need to add some warmth to my hair colour (does that make sense?).

I think I look better in pinky makeup colours. And when I wear a less saturated turquoise, lighter blues and light pinks (think baby pinks), people say, "that colour looks good on you".

So does that make me a summer?

BTW - I had my colours done in the early 80s, but can't remember what they said - spring or summer!

YEARS ago (I was still in my teens), my sister's business was doing something with the Carole Jackson Color Me Beautiful book.

I was with my sister at a trade show and one of the official Color-me-beautiful reps nearly scared me out of my skin, by grabbing me by the hand and dragging me across the conference floor to a smaller room to proudly announce that she had found an "autumn who can also wear select spring colors!"

I had been pulled into a training session for reps that was being addressed by Carole Jackson who concurred that I was an autumn who could wear clear navy, and bright coral, and some sort of bright green whose name I do not recall.

They draped me with fabric swags and 45-minutes later sent me off with an autographed copy of the book and a coffee mug. I was polite through the whole ordeal but never really signed onto the whole "religion" of it like some folks did at the time.

I do tend to wear the warmer autumn shades (deep oranges, browns, the brownish greens, and will generally go with clear Navy business suits as opposed to the blacks and greys) -- but most of it is just what I've always "known" not what I've been "told"

I find this so intriguing, because I get a bit stuck on what colors really look good on me, and which ones look good to me, if you know what I mean. I have always been drawn to colors like olive, gold, rust...it sounds like I'm an autumn.

Now, I've been highlighting my hair, but yesterday I decided I'm going to go back to my natural color. I like to cover the gray, but I don't think the highlights necessarily do anything for me, so who needs that extra cost?

I'm a bit heavier than I used to be, so it's been hard to really figure out what looks flattering on me. I'll save that for another post.

Curt, I think I might be on to something here!

I'm very fair-skinned, medium brown hair and brown eyes. My absolute best color is "sapphire blue" (right in between royal and navy), but can wear other "cool" saturated gem tones like deep purple and forest green and even rich dark browns to some extent. Can't wear anything that has the slightest hint of orange so I have to make sure my reds are deep and have to be very particular with yellows. I can wear cool pastels like ice blue and baby pink, but anything too muted (especially neutrals like oatmeal or tan) will make me look ill.

Oh yes - Winter all the way.

YEARS ago (I was still in my teens), my sister's business was doing something with the Carole Jackson Color Me Beautiful book.

I was with my sister at a trade show and one of the official Color-me-beautiful reps nearly scared me out of my skin, by grabbing me by the hand and dragging me across the conference floor to a smaller room to proudly announce that she had found an "autumn who can also wear select spring colors!"

I had been pulled into a training session for reps that was being addressed by Carole Jackson who concurred that I was an autumn who could wear clear navy, and bright coral, and some sort of bright green whose name I do not recall.

They draped me with fabric swags and 45-minutes later sent me off with an autographed copy of the book and a coffee mug. I was polite through the whole ordeal but never really signed onto the whole "religion" of it like some folks did at the time.

I do tend to wear the warmer autumn shades (deep oranges, browns, the brownish greens, and will generally go with clear Navy business suits as opposed to the blacks and greys) -- but most of it is just what I've always "known" not what I've been "told"

Sorry for your bad experience. I never went to a convention, but did read the book and found that dressing by my season (Winter) was a great way to look good and save money too (by knowing that things in my wardrobe would all "go" together.) I still follow the suggestions today and have learned to recognize the right colors on sight. Shopping is so easy because I can spot what I want right away and save lots of searchimg through racks - I see my colors and take time to look twice only at those

Well, this is probably not the best picture to use, but I figure it's worth a try. I used mystic tan before the cruise, so I have a bit of color here. As stated in my previous post, I should be back to medium brown hair color by the end of the weekend!

6777062_formalnight.jpg.6f7c362d2bd77163439244ae9ecdd702.jpg

years ago, a friend was training to be a color consultant, and did mine for free and practice. she even gave me a little fold out wallet of fabric swatches to take shopping, which i've since lost. she said i was an autumn. i do wear rusts and olive greens alot, my hair is brunette, going grey untouched, eyes goldy brown, the reason i concurred with her decision, is 1. at age 8, i picked a rust napoleon-style coat that i always got compliments on, 2. pink kills my complexion, makes me look flushed and angry, 3. unmade up, i look yellowish. 4. my "base" color (bottoms, etc.) is brown and never, ever wear grey and only very, very rarely wear navy blue. 5. i thought i'd branch out one time, and bought a navy dress. the 2nd time i put it on, my DH said, "Are you going to wear that again?" So it went to the salvation army the next day.

i have 6 sisters, 5 of whom seem to be winters, with pitch black hair and dark brown eyes, (all wear red-red and navy blue) and one either spring or summer, with light blue eyes, light sandy brown hair (wears lighter pastels) .

Instead of thinking your reds have to be deep, think cool undertones. No orange-reds. And if you've found browns you look good in as a winter, I applaud you! I had been wanting neutral/nude eyeshadows and was getting very frustrated. Since CJW has seen me in person and knows without a doubt that I'm a winter, he was like a mad man on a mission to find the perfect shades of eyeshadows in different brands for me. Worked like a charm! I know have a great palette of neutral/nudes - all thanks to the one and only CJW!

Fortunately for me, I've always been drawn to colors that are great for me and my coloring. Even in my very early 20s, a lady in HR when I worked at Pepsi commented on how I always wore colors that were "perfect" for me.

One thing CJW reminds me is that a person can almost always wear a color - it's the shade that's important. Take green for example. I cannot wear lime, chartreuse (pardon my horrible spelling) or kelly. But I can wear a forest or a teal. Each color has an entire spectrum.

Lois - your coloring seems to be very close to mine but I don't know what color your eyes are. If they are blue, I'd say you're definitely a winter. You do look fab in bright blues and purples. And the reds I've seen you in lean more to a cherry red. Those are definitely winter colors.

Hi Carmen, good morning to you:)

My eyes are brown. When I was a kid I used to think they were hazel.

But when I think of hazel I think "green" and they are definitely not

green. Nobody in my family has blue eyes. We are the darker, brown

hair/brown eyes group;)

Oh, its always nice to see you on here. I think you are one of the

nicest folks on the board:D

Hope you and your family have a Happy 4th:)

Oh, its always nice to see you on here. I think you are one of the

nicest folks on the board:D

Hope you and your family have a Happy 4th:)

Right back at ya, Lois! You're a classy lady, and I hope to get the honor of sailing with you one day.

As far as the eye color/season thing for you, I'm not sure. That would definitely be Curt's area of expertise.

Archived