What Season Are You?

laurspag

I've never had my season determined.

Here's what I have:

Hair: Dark blonde with ash undertones (natural color) Light brown with warm undertones (colored)

Skin: Fair (Burns easily) Pinkish tone

Eyes: Khaki green (my eyes pop with pink/mauve or lavender/purple eyeshadow

??What do you think??

Hey all!

I just saw this coming up again, I've got to run out for the weekend - but I'll be back with advice and some personal color charts I've made.

;)

I can't wait! I am a Winter, despite the fact that I have red hair (okay, it has a little "help" but is close to what I was born with;)) and green eyes, however my skin tone is definitely that of a Winter.

I had my colours redone a few years ago and discovered that I am a "Dramatic Winter" - i.e. I look good in black, and pure white. This has helped me so much for my upcoming 63-day cruise (and yes, I will have to fly from San Diego to L.A. and reverse so paring down the packing list is mandatory unless I want to pay exhorbitant fees for overweight luggage:eek:). I am hooked on Exclusively Misook and Lafayette 148 Jackets so this made my packing list so much easier. I'm throwing a few skirts and a few pairs of slacks into the suitcase along with belts, jewellry and scarves and expect to look at least presentable for the Formal and Smart Casual nights.

The one thing I did do, which is totally out of character for me, was to buy a Lafayette 148 evening jacket in a sort of olive green/rust silk - I just fell in love with it and plan to wear it with black, and maybe even dark navy blue, top and palazzo pants. If the fashion police have a problem with that then I guess that I will just have to repair to my cabin and sulk (while having a drink and thinking the whole thing over and saying "oh, who cares anyway" - I think I look fabulous).

Can't close without saying what a fan I am of yours CJW and how much I look forward to your ever enlightening posts

Valerie:)

Starting this post has really got me thinking about a lot things I wear, and how to do better. I was talking to my daughters (17 and 21) and they have shown interest in what their colors are. My older daughter naturally has dark blonde hair, blue green eyes, and an extremely fair complexion, that's almost that pasty white. I haven't checked the color charts yet, but I'm guessing spring? She looks great in pastels, and her best color is aqua.

My other daughter has darker hair like me, hazel eyes that can be somewhat blue at times, and a warmer complexion than me.

I'm starting to think more about makeup choices too, since it all goes hand in hand. Some of this is difficult when you are on a tight budget, but where there's a will there's a way. ;)

Starting this post has really got me thinking about a lot things I wear, and how to do better...

I'm starting to think more about makeup choices too, since it all goes hand in hand. Some of this is difficult when you are on a tight budget, but where there's a will there's a way. ;)

OK, think if this is the long run...if you find the colors that look best on you, you'll end up with a wardrobe and makeup that coordinate well together. Mixing and matching (especially clothing pieces) will help save you money! ;)

Instead of thinking your reds have to be deep, think cool undertones. No orange-reds. And if you've found browns you look good in as a winter, I applaud you! I had been wanting neutral/nude eyeshadows and was getting very frustrated. Since CJW has seen me in person and knows without a doubt that I'm a winter, he was like a mad man on a mission to find the perfect shades of eyeshadows in different brands for me. Worked like a charm! I know have a great palette of neutral/nudes - all thanks to the one and only CJW!

One thing CJW reminds me is that a person can almost always wear a color - it's the shade that's important. Take green for example. I cannot wear lime, chartreuse (pardon my horrible spelling) or kelly. But I can wear a forest or a teal. Each color has an entire spectrum.

I guess I worded it wrong -- I meant not orange-reds. And I know what you mean about wearing the right shades. Even blue (which is normally my best color in general) that's too muted makes me look as washed out as the obviously wrong colors.

Just out of curiosity, what shades of neutral/nude eye shadows do you wear? They usually look pretty blah on me.

I'm a winter, but I can wear rich browns comfortably. (as long as I am wearing my makeup which is shades of pink). I can't wear brown without makeup.

I absolutely look half dead in ivory and yellow. I can pull off orange, if it has a pinky undertone.

Pink makeup looks natural on me and I look painted when I wear shade of peachy/yellow/green colors.

Cool jewel tones are much better on me than pastels.

Rich Cobalt Blue and Cobalt Purple (think a deep Periwinkle) are my best colors.

Just out of curiosity, what shades of neutral/nude eye shadows do you wear? They usually look pretty blah on me.

My eyes are a medium blue, so my shade would be different. But for the record, I used Ulta shades Elegance, Mystique and Vogue. Minx in Smashbox (but I'm intrigued by Safari), Sell Out in Urban Decay and Pink Chocolate quad in Clinique - of course, not all at the same time! All expertly color-matched for me by our oun Curt Jerome Wild.

OK, think if this is the long run...if you find the colors that look best on you, you'll end up with a wardrobe and makeup that coordinate well together. Mixing and matching (especially clothing pieces) will help save you money! ;)

That is very true. Sometimes, it's just a matter of keeping your colors in mind when out and about. The thing I hate the most is that all work clothes seem to be black or gray. (I work in an conservative office - think JC Penney Worthington line of clothing)

I seem to get the most compliments when I wear red. Sometimes I have trouble deciding if I really look good in a color, or I simply like the color. I probably should invest in a swatch booklet one of these days, to keep me on track.

Where oh where is Curt? I know he's a busy man, but there are people waiting for his expertise!

I'm here!:D

I have some time today, so I'm going to start with some general info on this thread - then I'll go back later and help out specific people.

To start with, people who don't know me...

I'm not really allowed to talk about my work on the board, but I have a lifetime (at least my lifetime) in color expertise.

It's not 100% of my job, but a big enough portion that it comes into play at least 50% of the things I do.

I'm basically an expert in color and light, and how it affects, reflects, and bounces off skin, hair, clothing, fabric, walls, etc.;)

Now I talk about it in a slightly different way than "the seasons", as it's easier all around for people to understand.

As it breaks down for my discussions:

If you are best in

Warm Bright Clear (Spring)

Warm Muted (Autumn)

Cool Powdery (Summer)

Cool Bright Clear (Winter)

Now to me and my eye, you can only be ONE. No one is actually more than one, or half, or part this or that.

You are one and one only.

Any so called "experts" who have told you different or conflicting, are wrong, and just adding conflicting information and confusion.

You are one, learn it, stick with it, and you'll never go wrong.:cool:

What may have caused some of the confusion, is that there are a couple of colors that are "soclose" to each other that they can kind of blur between two seasons.

This will mostly happen with Warm to Warm and Cool to Cool.

There are a couple of browns that will pretty much work for both Warm Bright Clear and Warm Muted for example.

That doesn't make the person half this season, and half that season.

It just means that color in particular is on the edge of both.

In general, you are one Color Palette as a person, and one Color Palette alone.

Does all this make sense so far?

Good, so let's move on...

:)

So the concept is that each and every person can wear a lot of colors.

It just matters on the specific TONE of the color to make it work for you...

Here is my own personal chart to show you an example:

50d7573eb314b2d55edd750c9f82e1ab.jpg

So as you can see, each type can wear the same colors - but look down each column to see how they are all similar tones within that...

The bottom row is the best fabric overall "background" neutral for your clothes.

What you can also note is that once you are in the same TONE with all of your clothes, then they all mix and match together very well.

All of the Warm Bright Clear colors mix and match well in outfits, because they are all in the same Warm Bright Tones.

All of the Cool Powdery colors mix and match well in outfits, because they are all in the same Cool Powdery Tones.

You with me so far? Good. We'll continue in a bit with the Color Palettes for each type...

So let me post my versions of each Color Palette.

I'm still working on finding the best Computer Pantone for each color, so that it shows up the same on each monitor. I'm not there 100% yet, but close enough to post these for you all.

The thing here is to look at each Color Palette as a whole.

You will fit into one category overwhelmingly.

Now, this doesn't matter what you personally like, or what is easy for you to buy. It's what makes you look your best.

A problem that some people have, is that their mom or parents were another Season - so you might have grown up for example with a Winter Mom, who bought all Winter Toned Colors for you - because that is what her subconscious was drawn to...

But you were actually a Summer or Autumn, and you are just conditioned from childhood to choose Winter Colors.

Once you figure out your own Color Palette as whole, you will look healthier, better, younger and more vibrant in general!

So I'll post one at a time, then we'll continue one with discussions...

So here is the Color Palette that I call "Warm Bright Clear"

and others would call "Spring"

4b3b3ff08cfdb2cd054131f867c6f002.jpg

In general, you will have a Peachy or Golden skin tone.

Your natural hair color is going to always have Golden Warm Tones in it.

Your eyes will be Blue, Bright Green, or extremely light, light Honey Golden Brown.

Here is the Color Palette that I call "Warm Muted"

and others would call "Autumn"

30583ea40c060ef9171423387004a0c8.jpg

In general you will have a Warm Peach or Deeper Gold skin tone.

Natural hair color will be Red, Auburn, Dark Golden Blonde, or Brown with Warm Dark Gold or Coppery highlights in the natural sunlight.

Your eyes will be a Deeper Warm Brown, or Deep Green, Turquoise Blue, or Hazel.

Here is the Color Palette I call "Cool Powdery"

and others would call "Summer"

0452dba2b4a34f8ddab11da9b1385cc9.jpg

Your skin tone is Cool, with Pink or Blue undertones. It can be very light to dark.

Many people with "Olive" skin are this. They confuse the Olive with golden tones though, when it is really blue-ish green skin undertones.

Your natural hair can be Ash Blonde, Platinum Blonde, Cool Brown, or Brunette.

Eyes will be Cool Blue, Cool Hazel, or Brown.

Here is the Color Palette that I call "Cool Bright Clear"

and others would call "Winter"

97049523449f331d912cef83853ea20e.jpg

Your skin tone is Cool, with Pink or Blue undertones. It can be extremely light to extremely dark.

Hair is naturally Dark Brunette, Black, but can even be Platinum.

Eyes are either Cool Blue, Cool Brown, to Black.

Okay, so that should get you all started with the theories and ideas.

I'll be back later on, and start tackling the individual questions.

Have fun, and enjoy it all in the meantime.

When you get it all figured out, it makes your shopping and future cruise wardrobe packing a billion times easier - as everything you own will mix and match!

:D

Hi CJW:

Good to see you back posting and thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

I can see that I am definitely "cool, bright and clear" despite the red hair and green eyes. I have never tried "icy aqua" but may check it out.

There is no way on God's green earth that I would try "emerald green" or "icy yellow", that's just personal preference. I loathe green, yellow, orange and brown.:eek: However, my complexion and my eyes "pop" when I wear true red, royal purple and black.

Looking forward so much to more insight. Consider me a true fan!

Valerie:)

I am what your chart says:D:)...I love the colors on my chart too

so I guess the chart is correct;), although I am not into the greens

so much, I love those purples!!!!!!!!! And black...who doesn't like

black? LOL And I am not into yellow either...but that is just personal

preference.

I have an olive skintone with dark hair and dark eyes.

So, I am definitely the Winter Pallet.;)

I am what your chart says...I love the colors on my chart too

so I guess the chart is correct, although I am not into the greens

so much, I love those purples!!!!!!!!! And black...who doesn't like

black? LOL And I am not into yellow either...but that is just personal

preference.

I have an olive skintone with dark hair and dark eyes.

So, I am definitely the Winter Pallet.

Yes Lois! I've seen your wonderful pictures over the years, and you are definitely a full fledged Winter or what I like to call

Cool Bright and Clear!

And yes, the Greens and Yellows are very tricky for Winters - so keep thinking Cool Undertones, and Slightly Blue Undertones on those - then they'll work great. They can't be muted or powdery though, they must be bright and clear!

And see?

Your comment about Black is very interesting...

Black is something that really and truly only looks spectacular on Winters.

So many people buy it, and it's just not right for them, as much as they want it to be...

And it's a funny subconscious thing that I've found over the years, that people who are Winters think that everyone in the world looks great in Black! But, it's just because they themselves look fantastic in it, so they have a subconscious bias...

But hopefully that this will be fun for you in the future for shopping, and cruise packing!:D

I see that I was posting at the same time as you were. I'm still definitely "cool, bright clear" but pretty much stay away from the pinks (although I do love them - just not on me:D). The one that surprised the heck out of me when I had my colors done the last time was bright fuschia - I actually look good in this color, it is another one that made my complexion and eyes "pop" - who would have thunk? Certainly not moi!

Valerie:D

I'm also cool, clear, bright (Winter), but I'm confused about a couple of colors. I do get compliments when wearing a clear teal color (either blue-teal or green-teal), but it's not on the chart. I also look good in a color that appears on the Warm, Clear, Bright chart: Bright clear aqua. Does that make sense to you?

I am fair-skinned with pink undertones and light blue to green eyes. My hair was quite blond as a child, but is now medium to dark brown (when not highlighted). I look sickly in olive green and most orange shades except for the cooler ones with some pink in them.

I think maybe because of the highlights in my hair (which are more golden than ash), certain dark shades of chocolate brown are suddenly flattering on me. I do find that I get the most compliments when wearing what I always considered jewel tones.

My mom is one who like to buy colors that flatter her Warm color pallette, which never works for me.

Thanks for enlightening us on this!

Jane in CT

Archived