Couple of Seadream questions (re: St Thomas porT)

thanks for the info.. when we've cruised Regent in the past we loved breakfast in the suite )bagels, lox, pastries) but I think that we could get used to top side dining...

on another note..

the purpose of this trip is serious relaxation... I'm pretty into photography and usually travel with lots of gear... (multiple lens and a couple of bodies). I am thinking of leaving most of the gear at home and bringing my point and shoot with an underwater case. What do y'all think? Will I be missing some awesome photographic opportunites?

thanks!

chris

We take the point and shoot digital but also buy one or two of the single use underwater cameras entirely for the Champagne Splash. We have some amazingly funny (and actually quite good) shots of us and fellow Seadreamers in the surf. Dont have to worry about damage or possibly forgetting where we left the expensive camera after an afternoon of surf and suds.

On the way out of Puerto Rico at 5 am, I went up to the captains chairs to watch the city recede and the sun come up. I had a hankering for a cup of coffee, but no crew were to be seen (understandable). I mentioned this to a fellow SD'er in the other captains chair and he had me follow him to the TOY bar where he dialed room service (phone sort of behind the bar). A few minutes later we had coffee service and pastires to boot set up for us on one of the tables near the bar.

We saw that the STT airport was a bit of a zoo in the morning, but we were going first class and managed to avoid most of it, due to the American first-class line. If I had to depart from STT again, I would try to get first class for at least that leg of the flight.

Another suggestion to navigating STT is to get a porter to handle your bags ... yes it will cost a few dollars but it is well worth it as they facilitate your getting through security and custom. Actually they basically take you to the head of the line ... not saying it is right ... just the way it is:rolleyes:

thanks for all the info..

porter and private taxi sounds like the way to go...

I'll leave the big dSLR at home and just go P&S with underwater case...

we watched a little 7 minute travel channel snippet on Fios on demand on the SeaDream this morning and we are very excited! Looking forward to the pool deck for sure!

how readily available is ice cream? And my wife loves choclate and all thing choclate- I remember that REgent didnt always have a chocolate dessert at meals- how does SeaDream do?

FT is the pool deck queen so she will be able to give you all sorts of pointers. As for me ... well you can usually find me on the Bali bed closest to the TOY Bar.

One of the wonderful things about SD is that anything is possible ... so if your DW wants chocolate every evening she shall have it. Make sure to have the SD Noir ... it is a chocolate fantasy!

If memory serves there is always a chocolate offering, in addition to the after dinner truffles, for dessert every evening. I'll go grab my folder of menus and report back (talk about a SD addiction)!

In terms of ice cream ... there are always ice cream and sorbets offered at dinner ... and I suspect you will be able to have them at any time!

how readily available is ice cream? And my wife loves choclate and all thing choclate- I remember that REgent didnt always have a chocolate dessert at meals- how does SeaDream do?

I dug out the dinner menus from our March 6 cruise on SD2. Here are the dessert options:

Grand Marnier Souffle with Sauce Anglaise (one of DJ's DH and my all-time favorites)

Sauteed Strarberries with Candied Black Olives and Olive Oil Ice Cream

Coconut Rice Pudding with Mango Sorbet

Berry Fruit Soup with Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

Selection of homemade ice crea, sorbet and yogurt: Vanilla, Rum Raisin, Pistachio ice cream; Mango sorbet, and Stawberry frozen yogurt.

Homemade petits fours with Chocolate Truffles (this is offered every night)

SeaDream Noir - Chocolate Tart with Banana and Rum (another of our all time favorites)

Profiteroles stuffed with vanilla ice cream

French apple with maple walnut ice cream

Homemade ice cream - vanilla, chocolate and maple walnut

Passion fruit sorbet

Cocunut frozen yogurt

Fondant au chocolat with golden touch and vanilla ice cream (heaven ... sheer heaven).

Banana fritters served with coconut frozen yogurt

Baked plum filled with nuts, served with vanilla ice cream

Kiwi carpaccio with Maracuja sorbet

Ice cream - Vanilla, coffee, chocolate

Maracuja sorbet

Coconut Frozen yogurt

Tiramisu with Mascarpone Sorbet

Limoncello Baba with Lemon Candy Ice Cream

Ginger marinated strawberries with aceto-vanilla cream

Ice cream - Vanilla, pistachio, lemon candy

Mascarpone sorbet

Strawberry frozen yogurt

Dark Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Compote and Hazlenut ice cream

Pecan pie with vanilla ice cream

Strawberry Cheese cake

Ice cream - Vanilla, cinnamon, rum raisin

Kiwi sorbet

Blackberry frozen yogurt

Profiteroles stuffed with vanilla ice cream

Carrot cake with butter scotch sauce

Key lime pie

Ice cream - Vanilla, chocolate, rum raisin

Raspberry sorbet

Coconut frozen yogurt

Lemon souffle with white chocolate ice cream

Churros with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce

Mango creme brulee with pistachio madeleine

Banoffee pie with mango frozen yogurt

Ice cream - rum raisin, vanilla and pina colada

Orange sorbet

Mango frozen yogurt

Chocolate souffle with warm chocolate sauce

Apple tarte tartin with vanilla ice cream

Tropical fruit mousse served with coconut rum sauce

Chilled pear soup with raspberry sorbet

Ice cream - Cappuccinio, vanilla and chocolate

Raspberry sorbet

Maple walnut yogurt

I know that you can get vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce just about any time:)

wow DisneyJen. Would you happen to have the menus posted somewhere? With deserts like that list, I am dieing to see the main courses.

I don't have the full menus posted as of yet but in my March '08 and '09 reviews I do have what DJ's Dh and I dined on at dinner. If there is interest I can share the menus I have (sure beats working on projects here at home!).

I don't have the full menus posted as of yet but in my March '08 and '09 reviews I do have what DJ's Dh and I dined on at dinner. If there is interest I can share the menus I have (sure beats working on projects here at home!).

After reviewing just the dessert list, I don't feel so bad about the 7 lbs in 9 days that trip added. Too bad it took much longer than 9 days to take it off. :rolleyes:

but it was fun, wasn't it? Can't wait for December 13 to get here.

FT

After reviewing just the dessert list, I don't feel so bad about the 7 lbs in 9 days that trip added. Too bad it took much longer than 9 days to take it off. :rolleyes:

FT

I can't imagine how much weight we will pack on after 13 nights:eek:

FT

Counting down the days till Nov. 28th (29th for SD II). Wish you guys were on this one.

I've lost weight on the two cruises I've been on (Regent and SeaDream). I think it is due to the the wide choice of well-prepared veggies and other healthy things, that are too much trouble to make at home. Like Jim said, at home it's frozen pizza and beer, etc. most nights. Plus we are off the ship whenever possible, doing shore-ex, hiking, swimming, etc.

I come back from cruises thinner and tired, but very relaxed.

I've lost weight on the two cruises I've been on (Regent and SeaDream). I think it is due to the the wide choice of well-prepared veggies and other healthy things, that are too much trouble to make at home. Like Jim said, at home it's frozen pizza and beer, etc. most nights. Plus we are off the ship whenever possible, doing shore-ex, hiking, swimming, etc.

I come back from cruises thinner and tired, but very relaxed.

Ragnar:

That is exceptional to loose weight on a Luxury Cruise. Good self control. I am completely useless at passing up big breakfasts (that I almost never eat at home) and the desserts/truffles/candied ginger (also skip at home most days) as well as the mid afternoon cheese trays with martinis, etc. etc. Trying hard to lose the weight I plan on re absorbing rapidly this November.

Jim.

I too am impressed with your self-control Ragnar! I am in the same boat with Jim in terms of what trips me up when sailing SD!

I told DJ's DH that I am bringing the Wii Fit software and balance board on the crossing so I can work out since we will have 13 nights with no ports:eek:

I too am impressed with your self-control Ragnar! I am in the same boat with Jim in terms of what trips me up when sailing SD!

I told DJ's DH that I am bringing the Wii Fit software and balance board on the crossing so I can work out since we will have 13 nights with no ports:eek:

since you got off the ship what - twice - on nine nights in March - what does having no ports have to do with it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

FT

since you got off the ship what - twice - on nine nights in March - what does having no ports have to do with it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

FT

Hey I set a record in March ... twice during one day!! Peter Island and Jost! And I got off the yacht in STT at Honeymoon Bay. Other than that I don't think I left the ship:p

Alright couple more questions:

Internet access- if I read right its 35 bucks a day? How fast is it? Only reason I ask is that MrsCruisingDoctorWu might have to log on one day for work unfortunately... and just out of curiosity is it fast enough to support videoconferncing? If we are going to drag our comp with us might as well sneak a look at NotCrusingBabyWu....

Bikes- do they provide helmets also? Are they typically very popular and hard to get?

Thanks!

Alright couple more questions:

Internet access- if I read right its 35 bucks a day? How fast is it? Only reason I ask is that MrsCruisingDoctorWu might have to log on one day for work unfortunately... and just out of curiosity is it fast enough to support videoconferncing? If we are going to drag our comp with us might as well sneak a look at NotCrusingBabyWu....

Bikes- do they provide helmets also? Are they typically very popular and hard to get?

Thanks!

No experience on the bikes other than to see them come in and out of storage. I can only speak to the internet access (work has been a part of the last two SD excursions eek:) ) and unfortunately . . . unless there have been recent upgrades, internet access can be extremely slow - remember, its all being done by satellite and depending on weather and time of day, it can be extremely slow. I often found it the fastest times to be very early in the morning or just before dinner.

FT

No experience on the bikes other than to see them come in and out of storage. I can only speak to the internet access (work has been a part of the last two SD excursions eek:) ) and unfortunately . . . unless there have been recent upgrades, internet access can be extremely slow - remember, its all being done by satellite and depending on weather and time of day, it can be extremely slow. I often found it the fastest times to be very early in the morning or just before dinner.

FT

FT is right about S L O W. I usually buy an internet card ($20 on our last one) and use the computers in the Library. Satcom is very dependent on weather conditions and can vary greatly. Actually, email and internet worked better from the iPhone when in range (most of the time in the Virgin Islands). I check emails for business and respond when needed. I never take the laptop. Too much like work. Drink a few martinis and the slow computer just doesnt seem that important any more. Have fun.

Jim.

Archived