Couple of Seadream questions (re: St Thomas porT)

We're planning our first vacation after our first child. Thinking about a SeaDream cruise (have previously thoroughly enjoyed Regent) and had picked the Oct 25 sailing from San Juan to St. Thomas; only to be informed by wife that "we are not missing baby's first Halloween." So we might do the Nov 1st departure, which would result in a departure from the mid-Atlantic (think DC) and arrival into St. Thomas between 3-4 PM. Am I asking for trouble? How far away is the port from the airport?

thanks

We're planning our first vacation after our first child. Thinking about a SeaDream cruise (have previously thoroughly enjoyed Regent) and had picked the Oct 25 sailing from San Juan to St. Thomas; only to be informed by wife that "we are not missing baby's first Halloween." So we might do the Nov 1st departure, which would result in a departure from the mid-Atlantic (think DC) and arrival into St. Thomas between 3-4 PM. Am I asking for trouble? How far away is the port from the airport?

thanks

Congratulations on your first child ... and your first SD cruise:p

There are two docks/piers in STT. One is Crown Bay, which is very close to the airport and the other is the West Indian Company (WICO) Dock which is a bit further.

If it were me, I would fly in the day before if possible. You never know what the weather will bring as well as possible airline delays and luggage delays.

If you can't fly out the day before I would look at an earlier flight.

Figure on at least 45 minutes for your luggage plus (island time mon), then you have to wait on a taxi at the airport unless you pre-arrange a private taxi and then you never know what traffic will look like in Charlotte Amalie.

If you landed at 3 p.m. it probably will be close to 5:30 p.m. at the earliest before you board if the ship is docked at WICO.

Good luck!!

Thanks DisneyJen. We would prefer to fly in the day before but doesnt look like that's going to be an option...

No problem.

If you are going to fly out the day of the cruise I would book the earliest and most direct flight possible.

Good luck!

Thanks DisneyJen. We would prefer to fly in the day before but doesnt look like that's going to be an option...

I would throw in my 2 cents worth here. If you are looking to be a bit late, get in touch with SeaDream (the numbers should be with the tickets) and let them know. We have been aboard in STT and held late, very late for passengers (oops, the owner and his party) so they do have flexibility and usually make it work for you if at all possible. I'm with DJ, cant trust the airlines (any airline) to get me to the church on time. Hope all goes well.

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at flight; for $400 bucks more we can land at 1445 versus 1610... almost $5 bucks more a minute... would a 1610 arrival be too late?

wish we could fly in the day before...

you are taunting the airline and weather gods. No way would we rely on the 1610 since we aren't willing to try to catch the ship at its next port and miss a day of the cruise. I'm a mom but I"m sorry - a one year and Halloween? the kid won't remember a thing. And twenty years down the road he won't be interested in the pictures either (been there too, but maybe our family is just not sentimental:rolleyes:). I'm with you on the day before.

good luck

FT

I vote for the day before for several reasons. We took a 5 day in mid April. We had to fly in the day of the cruise from Newark (the worst). Thankfully, our flight was on time (in fact it was early) arriving in St Thomas and we were among the first to board the ship. Having experienced a SeaDream cruise, I can unequivocally say- I would not want to miss one minute of the experience. The champagne welcome, the pampering, the food, the foot massage- oh, don't get me started. I'm suffering just thinking about how much I want to go again!

I'm a mom too and though I agree with FT that a child will not remember or care one iota about their first Halloween, I think so many of the things we do with really little ones are for us, not them. If one spouse would be upset about missing a particular event in a child's life, I think they would be resentful that the other spouse pushed them into it. Better to compromise and do the other sailing.

This won't make the plane arrive on time, but I found that upgrading to first class (which amazingly I was able to do on Continental both ways) made the vacation start earlier. We got on the plane, flew in comfort and arrived already in vacation mode. We also arranged a cab from the airport to the cruise port, which I think was like four blocks away! It was a colossal waste of money but I did it because I'd been told that the wait for a group cab can be long. If you are planning on a same day arrival, I recommend you "waste" the money on a private cab.

Get all dressed up on Oct 30 in your costumes. Take lots of pictures, give the baby a pumpkin to hold and call it Halloween! A 1 yr.old only lasts a few minutes in a costume anyway and then wants to go home and go to sleep!!!

Get all dressed up on Oct 30 in your costumes. Take lots of pictures, give the baby a pumpkin to hold and call it Halloween! A 1 yr.old only lasts a few minutes in a costume anyway and then wants to go home and go to sleep!!!

Excellent advice!

FWIW, I just saw a news report that the earliest age that humans can recall is 4 years old.

I appreciate the parenting advice from all y'all but the issue isn't whether or not we're flying in the day before (we're not) but the needed time to arrive for embarkation from the airport on the day of. Halloween is a big deal in our neighborhood and we want to be part of it.

Edhenry- how was the process of arranging a private cab? We're not in first but we have bulkhead seating right behind first and priority bag handling because of our status.

I appreciate the parenting advice from all y'all but the issue isn't whether or not we're flying in the day before (we're not) but the needed time to arrive for embarkation from the airport on the day of. Halloween is a big deal in our neighborhood and we want to be part of it.

Edhenry- how was the process of arranging a private cab? We're not in first but we have bulkhead seating right behind first and priority bag handling because of our status.

I'm not edhenry but I have a good deal of experience with the airport in STT. The way that the taxi system works at the airport is that they use vans and wait until it is filled with passengers to the same location like downtown, hotels, piers etc.

When you arrange a private taxi/car you are the only fare so you leave for you destination directly. FWIW, we used Wheatley's Taxi last time we were on STT. I emailed them before we left and they picked us ap the airport.

Take the earlier flight, simply because if for any reason your plane takes a mechanical or a weather delay in another city before arriving in DC, you have the later flight to try and catch (if that plane isn't already flying full). Forget things like priority luggage....you're in the islands mon... the bags come off how and when they want to.

STT airport chaos is a thing unto itself, saved only because there are so few flights, and the fact that the airport is small. It looks like it should work like "back home" but it doesn't, either coming in or going out.

The saving for you is that the first day of the cruise is in St John, so if you have an unexpected airport delay or luggage snafu, you can get a hotel room in St Thomas for the night and connect easily with the ship the next day via ferry...although not how I would want to start a SeaDream holiday personally.

I too would suggest a private taxi, because if the ship is docked at Havensight, you could be in a shared taxi that drops off passengers at numerous downtown hotels before getting to the docks. (been there, done that)

The travel gods seem to be overworked these days, so personally I like to eliminate my need for their assistance whenever possible.

good luck

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to arrange a private taxi. Has anyone ever used the send ahead luggage service? We are thoroughly looking forward to the vacay- it'll be the first since the little dude. Does anyone have any of their favorite SeaDream moments that they would be willing to share that we can look forward to?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to arrange a private taxi. Has anyone ever used the send ahead luggage service? We are thoroughly looking forward to the vacay- it'll be the first since the little dude. Does anyone have any of their favorite SeaDream moments that they would be willing to share that we can look forward to?

We haven't sure the luggage service. DJ'sDH FF status means our bags are tagged priority ... which doesn't mean a whole lot in the islands.

I have bumped the review of our last SD cruise to share some of our favorite moments and pics.

I'm not edhenry but I have a good deal of experience with the airport in STT. The way that the taxi system works at the airport is that they use vans and wait until it is filled with passengers to the same location like downtown, hotels, piers etc.

When you arrange a private taxi/car you are the only fare so you leave for you destination directly. FWIW, we used Wheatley's Taxi last time we were on STT. I emailed them before we left and they picked us ap the airport.

My 2 cents: I also agree with Disney Jen and will take it even further. We will not, at all, under any circumstances, take another cruise that ENDS in STT. Flying in is bad enough but trying to get out of that zoo is just no way to end a wonderful time. Anywhere but STT. I also agree, you are really tempting the "left on the dock gods". Hope it goes well as you have a great time awaiting you onboard.

Jim.

We used Wheatley's as well. I think I found them on a St. Thomas tourism website which listed a bunch of government approved taxis. I called the lady and I believe I also received a confirmation email. They were waiting for us and, although the private taxi proved to be unnecessary, we figured it was worth it for the peace of mind knowing that we'd get to the ship on time. Now if I'd known that SDI stayed in Charlotte Amalie all night and didn't sail to St. John till the next morning, then I'd have hopped into the multi-passenger taxi quite happily. For you, CruisingDrWu, I'd say the private taxi is the only option.

thanks for all the info. looks like I will book a private taxi. I know that SeaDream doesnt have an extensive room service menu but can anyone give me a bit of an idea what's available for breakfast?

thanks!

The only time we have used room service for breakfast was the last day of our lap trip. We ordered toasted bagels with cream cheese, lox, capers and onions, orange juice for mimosas (we had a bottle of champagne that was stocked in our frig) regular and decaf coffee. It was delivered on a beautiful tray with linens and silver. It was a nice way to finish up packing the last day.

We hardly us room service when we are on SD as we love dining al fresco:D When we cruise on the larger/mass market lines we always use room service so we can dine on our balcony.

I am sure others have used room service more extensively and will be better able to answer your breakfast question. Is there something specific you are looking for in terms of breakfast?

I cant remember ever using room service. We cant wait to get topside each morning to see the view and breathe the sea air. In the afternoons, I guess a cheese tray on a Bali bed might be considered room service but thats about it. At night, after dinner, who has room for anything else?? (except maybe a BBC at TOY) Wish I had their room service right now.

Jim.

I cant remember ever using room service. We cant wait to get topside each morning to see the view and breathe the sea air. In the afternoons, I guess a cheese tray on a Bali bed might be considered room service but thats about it. At night, after dinner, who has room for anything else?? (except maybe a BBC at TOY) Wish I had their room service right now.

Jim.

We have been known to get a cheese tray while reading on the Bali Bed or while in the Office. On occasion we have ordered a cheese tray to snack on while preparing for dinner ... although I usually send DJ's DH to snag a few hors d'oeurves if we are running late (okay if I'm running late) to cocktail hour before dinner.

A nice cheese tray, a fresh Bombay Sapphire and Diet Tonic and a Pellegrino with lime all delivered to my Bali Bed is as good as it gets:p

FT has a standing order for a tray of fruit and cheeses to be delivered every afternoon. Makes for a nice snack as we get ready for dinner.

When i'm traveling solo (Transatlantic crossing) the standing order is for a cheese tray to be delivered late night - makes a great snack if you haven't adjusted to the time zones and leftovers can always go in the fridge. I think we've drifted far from the breakfast question the good doctor raised, but the room service is very limited - not full meals -- you can always get a club sandwich around the clock. Rumor is the owner's wife didn't want to risk the carpets/furnishings having to be cleaned frequently, so full menu service isn't available. For example - I don't think you can get french fries with ketchup. Instead - its Pringles (which are good on a queasy stomach). I'm pretty sure you can get a pastry basket - continental breakfast, etc, but don't remember full breakfast being available. But I"m sure Miami will be happy to provide more info.

FT

thanks for the info.. when we've cruised Regent in the past we loved breakfast in the suite )bagels, lox, pastries) but I think that we could get used to top side dining...

on another note..

the purpose of this trip is serious relaxation... I'm pretty into photography and usually travel with lots of gear... (multiple lens and a couple of bodies). I am thinking of leaving most of the gear at home and bringing my point and shoot with an underwater case. What do y'all think? Will I be missing some awesome photographic opportunites?

thanks!

chris

thanks for the info.. when we've cruised Regent in the past we loved breakfast in the suite )bagels, lox, pastries) but I think that we could get used to top side dining...

on another note..

the purpose of this trip is serious relaxation... I'm pretty into photography and usually travel with lots of gear... (multiple lens and a couple of bodies). I am thinking of leaving most of the gear at home and bringing my point and shoot with an underwater case. What do y'all think? Will I be missing some awesome photographic opportunites?

thanks!

chris

I vote for leaving the heavy duty equipment home this trip and take the point and shoot. SD is all about relaxation ... so just sit on a Bali bed or in a lounger by the pool and snap away.

Archived