Couple of Seadream questions (re: St Thomas porT)

thanks for the help..

now for the ultimate question-

Can I get away without bringing shoes on the trip? Ie can I wear my flip flops everywhere (with long pants to dinner?)

Not a problem as long as your toenails are painted an appropriate color for your outfit.:D

thanks for the help..

Can I get away without bringing shoes on the trip? Ie can I wear my flip flops everywhere (with long pants to dinner?)

Well ... since you asked ...

I admit I am one of those people who has been know to get on a soap box about dress code on ships. I guess as long as you are comfortable wearing flip flops with long pants and a nice shirt (not a T-shirt) then I say go for it. I can't say that I ever recall seeing anyone wear flip flops to dinner. I draw the line at bathing suits at the cocktail hour.

thanks for the help..

Do you mean those plastic / rubber flip flops, or more upscale sandals?

Host Dan

Sorry I was not trying to insinuate that SD is a Denny's...

I guess my question relates more to dinners that are held al fresco-> clearly in the dining room I would go with close toned shoes (and for teh record I think sandals with socks is a worse look...)...

So, dining upstairs al fresco- sandals? and how often when nice weather in the carribean is dining outside?

Sorry I was not trying to insinuate that SD is a Denny's...

I guess my question relates more to dinners that are held al fresco-> clearly in the dining room I would go with close toned shoes (and for teh record I think sandals with socks is a worse look...)...

So, dining upstairs al fresco- sandals? and how often when nice weather in the carribean is dining outside?

I agree about the sandals with socks look:p

If I recall correctly dinner is scheduled al fresco three nights on the Caribbean itinerary ... all dependent on weather of course. I think for dinner outside sandals should be fine .... no socks of course:D

looking at leaving same day cruise ends in St. Thomas. What is the absolute earliest flight to book? I will probably be flying 1st on US AIR. Thanks! (I think that after a 9 day cruise we will need to return home same day).

You can make it for an 11 am flight.....we have several times.... 12 is safer. Rushing once from the SD as early as possible, we arrived at the airport before the desk had actually opened, and by the time the backlog was cleared we almost missed a noon flight. Sometimes it is the agriculture screening that bogs down, other times the...... You just have to grit your teeth and go forward, despite the odds against you at STT

The STT experience is somehow never smooth and organized, but eventually you get out of there.

For us its not a deal breaker, just a pain.

You can make it for an 11 am flight.....we have several times.... 12 is safer. Rushing once from the SD as early as possible, we arrived at the airport before the desk had actually opened, and by the time the backlog was cleared we almost missed a noon flight. Sometimes it is the agriculture screening that bogs down, other times the...... You just have to grit your teeth and go forward, despite the odds against you at STT

The STT experience is somehow never smooth and organized, but eventually you get out of there.

For us its not a deal breaker, just a pain.

Good advice for sure!

The other is get a porter to help "process" you through the line. It's work the $20 tip to get through the line somewhat faster.

DJ-what is the absolute earliest flight you would book out of there? It is looking like

Continental may be our best bet. They have an 11:50 that connects thru SJU then Newark(with only a 35 min connection time) and finally on to Denver. They have a 12:50 that connects thru SJU, Houston and on to Denver. It arrives two hours later in Denver but no ridiculously tight connection times.

DJ-what is the absolute earliest flight you would book out of there? It is looking like

Continental may be our best bet. They have an 11:50 that connects thru SJU then Newark(with only a 35 min connection time) and finally on to Denver. They have a 12:50 that connects thru SJU, Houston and on to Denver. It arrives two hours later in Denver but no ridiculously tight connection times.

What day of the week is the flight from STT? The reason I ask is that STT gets super crazy on Saturdays and Sundays.

The connection time in EWR is awfully tight ... especially since you never now what weather will be like in EWR in January.

If it were me I would play it safe and go with the 12:50.

Are there any other options than the two stop on Continental? January through EWR can be dicey (icy)?

Our departure will be on Sunday. US Air seems to have only 5:30 flights that would force us to spend the night in an airport somewhere before getting a flight back to Denver. I believe American to Miami would be the same.

Our departure will be on Sunday. US Air seems to have only 5:30 flights that would force us to spend the night in an airport somewhere before getting a flight back to Denver. I believe American to Miami would be the same.

You might want to take a look at flying Cape Air or American Eagle to SJU and then connecting to the mainland. Not sure who the dominant carrier is in DEN.

I agree that 5:30 flight would be torture.

Guess that 12:50 is looking better and better:eek:

I can do delta-we leave 3:50 and connect in Atlanta arriving in Denver @ 11 pm or so. At least we can sleep in our own bed that night and it is only 2 planes! For 9 days on SD1 it is worth it!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was computer-less (scary thought I know!!).

I think you will be happier with the 3:50 departure. After you disembark you could spend some time shopping or grab lunch before heading to the airport!

• 1 month later...
Got our cruise documents the other day! Exciting

Couple more questions

What sort of bourbon and or scotch do they typically pour?

Should I make Spa reservations before or are they typically easy to come by?

thanks

Congrats on getting your docs! It always make the seem real when you have those docs in hand:p

We make our spa reservations when we board and never have had an issue. Frequent Traveler usually books hers ahead of time on line. If there is a treatment and a time that you really must have I would suggest doing it on line. Again, we have never had a problem getting what we wanted when we wanted it in terms of spa treatments in 30 days of sailing.

DJ's DH is the scotch drinker in our house. I know that in terms of house pours he has had Glenfidich and Johnie Walker. For a splurge he will get Laphroaig, which I think was a $5 up-charge.

I am sure the other scotch and bourbon drinkers will be able to give you more info!

Got our cruise documents the other day! Exciting

Couple more questions

What sort of bourbon and or scotch do they typically pour?

Should I make Spa reservations before or are they typically easy to come by?

thanks

Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam I know I have had. After those it got a little fuzzy.:eek:

We make our spa reservations when we board and never have had an issue. Frequent Traveler usually books hers ahead of time on line. If there is a treatment and a time that you really must have I would suggest doing it on line. Again, we have never had a problem getting what we wanted when we wanted it in terms of spa treatments in 30 days of sailing.

while spa demand can vary based on passenger (oops, I mean guest) composition, if you really want a massage in the pre dinner hours, that time typically has the highest demand, so I suggest booking on line. I've found that booking a massage just after the life boat drill, pre cocktail hour the day of boarding is a nice way to start the cruise and get rid of any airplane induced stiffness (plus it somewhat slows down that never empty glass of champagne consumption which can be a killer when you board at 2!) :eek:

Have fun. If you get a chance, post a line or two while on board. We live vicariously through fellow CC travelers.:D

FT

Thanks guys... anyone know if they also carry any small batch bourbons. I can handle the Makers Mark though...

Is it me or does the spa reservation system kind of suck? I made one request but then the second one I still get these error messages for the second one (your treatment is longer than the slotted time). And the ten minute increments? Wierd

Anyone ever use Gonzis limo for transfers in St. Thomas?

thanks

Thanks guys... anyone know if they also carry any small batch bourbons. I can handle the Makers Mark though...

Is it me or does the spa reservation system kind of suck? I made one request but then the second one I still get these error messages for the second one (your treatment is longer than the slotted time). And the ten minute increments? Wierd

Anyone ever use Gonzis limo for transfers in St. Thomas?

thanks

We haven't used Gonzis limo transfers. We usually use Wheatley's when we we are on St. Thomas or heading through St. Thomas to St. John.

Archived