Disembarkation Procedure

swdke

Now, after reading some of these replies, I get the impression that express check out passengers must depart before the passengers with color codes. What if hypothetically express passengers were called to depart at 8 am, but I wasn't ready till 9 am. Do I get in some sort of trouble or denied disembarking if I leave after I am supposed too? Don't get me wrong, I do want to get off early to start exploring NYC, just not 7:30 early.

Everyone will be off the ship by 10:-10:30 so they can board the new passengers by noon.

Princess allows you to put out your luggage anytime from 6pm through midnight-- so there really isnt any hurry to pack and get it out.

You can still carry your own stuff off when you color is called.

Last cruise we had the 3rd set of numbers are were off before 8:30. I didnt have to lug my stuff through the lounge/bar to get off.

Stairs are congested./ elevators are almost not running or so slow its easier to take stairs, etc.

Usually, Princess will ask everyone to go to one of two lounges. One for Platinum/Elite and suite passengers and one for everyone else. They only make departure announcements in those two lounges.

With the current procedure, you may be asked to go (per the color tag) to a dining room, the Wheelhouse Bar, the Explorer's Lounge, or the Princess Theater at a designated time. The Platnum/Elite/Suite lounge is available for all tag colors.

It is such a Truism what you said and posted.

Some properties even have a later check-in in NYC, NY ( Town we call it here ).

Caution should always be heeded too. Tipping the BellMan a buck for each bag helps.:cool:

To the OP;

Don't forget that hotel check in time in NYC is usually 3pm. You can usually store your luggage with the bellman and go out until your room is ready, but you should keep all valuables with you.

Now, after reading some of these replies, I get the impression that express check out passengers must depart before the passengers with color codes. What if hypothetically express passengers were called to depart at 8 am, but I wasn't ready till 9 am. Do I get in some sort of trouble or denied disembarking if I leave after I am supposed too? Don't get me wrong, I do want to get off early to start exploring NYC, just not 7:30 early.
They're not going to be searching the ship for you but they really want all those doing self-disembarkation off the ship by 8am and most passengers off the ship by 9:30am. That's the reason for self-disembarkation, i.e., to be one of the first off the ship. If someone sees you with your luggage, you will be directed to the gangway.

If you're like most people with 2 - 28" suitcases each + a large carry on bag, forget about it.
Most people? I can't fathom bringing that much, even on a month-long cruise. Last year on the Sapphire, because I was going to be gone 5 weeks and experience temperatures ranging from 50s to 90s, I brought an 18" bag in addition to my 25" suitcase. Normally, I bring just the 25" bag, even if I'm going to be gone three weeks.

Most people? I can't fathom bringing that much, even on a month-long cruise. Last year on the Sapphire, because I was going to be gone 5 weeks and experience temperatures ranging from 50s to 90s, I brought an 18" bag in addition to my 25" suitcase. Normally, I bring just the 25" bag, even if I'm going to be gone three weeks.

Neither can I but from observations it appears that way. Newbie's pack every conceivable item "just in case" and after 10 or 15 cruises finally shrink it down to what you describe.

Neither can I but from observations it appears that way. Newbie's pack every conceivable item "just in case" and after 10 or 15 cruises finally shrink it down to what you describe.
Tell me about it! I've seen people designate a whole suitcase just to shoes. There's a huge difference between what you need on a cruise and what you want to take. It takes practice to manage the "want" closer to the "need."

Tell me about it! I've seen people designate a whole suitcase just to shoes. There's a huge difference between what you need on a cruise and what you want to take. It takes practice to manage the "want" closer to the "need."

I think it's mostly the women who are more self conscious about being seen in the same outfit more than once.

My wife will mix & match everything & make do with her small suitcase & her carry bag.

I'll wash things as needed, use the laundry (if required) and if I get desperate even resort to buying an extra shirt every now & then.

I think it's mostly the women who are more self conscious about being seen in the same outfit more than once. My wife will mix & match everything & make do with her small suitcase & her carry bag. I'll wash things as needed, use the laundry (if required) and if I get desperate even resort to buying an extra shirt every now & then.
I don't bring anything that can't be worn with at least two or three other things, i.e., tops with pants, jackets with tops and pants or dresses, etc. It's so easy to change an 'outfit' by wearing different jewelry, adding a scarf or shawl, etc. Oh well. At least we're on the same page on this issue. :)

Oh dear..... better go and unpack that suitcase I just filled with shoes :D

Oh well. At least we're on the same page on this issue. :)

It's not really an issue as much as a personal preference. My wife and I just went on our honeymoon with two big suitcases for clothes, one medium suitcase filled with both of our shoes, two carry-ons and a backpack. It was just enough that it could be easily handled by the two of us, and we didn't have to worry about whether we had enough clothes to last or whether this could be paired with that, etc, etc. Things would be different if we had flown, as opposed to drove, to get to the cruise.

In the event of a major delay, I think those passengers that have flights before noon are bumped ahead. It is very important that the information packet you get in your stateroom a few days prior to the end of the cruise is returned by the requested time.

[quote name='crossstitcher']In the event of a major delay, I think those passengers that have flights before noon are bumped ahead. It is very important that the information packet you get in your stateroom a few days prior to the end of the cruise is returned by the requested time.[/QUOTE]

With few times I've heard about the ships disembarking very late in the morning there seems to be very few cases where people actually miss their flights.

Just off the Grand yesterday - it was a total nightmare with people being asked to stay in the Michealangelo dining room with their luggage, but, as usual, some refused and blocked the corridors. Having gone down really early because we had an earlly flight, we were far from being the first off. Some people have no respect for others - we made our flight with minutes to spare.

[quote name='paul929207']I don't understand why, at the of a relaxing vacation, people feel the need to race off the ship, dragging everything they own to make an early flight.[/quote]

The answer might be that their vacation is over. They may have a long flight with multiple connections. They may have to be up at the crack of dawn to go to work the next day!;)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='paul929207']Usually, Princess will ask everyone to go to one of two lounges. One for Platinum/Elite and suite passengers and one for everyone else. They only make departure announcements in those two lounges.[/QUOTE]
Not my experience. Although they make various lounges available, there was no requirement that you have to be there. And, the announcements of colors were made throughout the ship.

[quote name='nicknack']Not my experience. Although they make various lounges available, there was no requirement that you have to be there. And, the announcements of colors were made throughout the ship.[/quote]

Not sure when you last sailed on a Princess ship, as this 'used' to be the procedure, but not any more. Annoncements are no longer made in public areas as to the color of disembarkation tags. In order to know who is being called next, you need to be in one of the lounges you are assigned to. It is totally civilized now with no stair sitters or people gathering at the gangway to attempt to push their way off the ship through the crowds. It is a much nicer way to end your voyage and much more organized. ;)

Archived