Dressing themes on Oceania??

GODIVA28

Hi Everyone,

When I go cruising, I like to dress up. I really do not go for the 'casual' dressing in the evening at all. Would Oceania be for me or should I avoid. I have read some of the threads and think that this looks a good cruise line but as this is my holiday of the year, I would be so upset if I did not enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

You certainly can dress up for dinner if you would like, but be aware that not everyone does. We saw some women with rather dressy cocktail type dresses, but most dressed a little more simply. I didn't see people who I thought underdressed, but there were more dresses that were sundresses or tops and skirts than there were very dressy ones. Most men didn't wear sportcoats -- only a handful did. I think this is a big selling point for Oceania for most passengers. If dressing up is very important to you this may not be the line for you.

If one of the reasons you enjoy dressing up is to share the occasion and enjoy seeing other folks dress up, you will not be happy. There is nothing to prevent you from dressing up, but 97% of the people will be dressed in "smart casual" style.

We had a lady on one of our cruises who dressed to the 9's every night. In a brief conversation I had with her one evening she lamented not having any formal nights on the ship. When I inquired if she was not aware of this before she booked she replied that she thought "all ships" had formal nights.

Oceania is casual which we love but you probably will not.

Just so you're aware.....the "smart casual" theme on O. is different from "casual" on the mass market lines. At least in my experience, most women dressed in what I would refer as "country club casual" which I interpret as slightly more dressy than "smart casual" (a fine line though it is). If you're hoping to see all your fellow Pax. dressed in cocktail dresses or better, maybe you should reconsider O.

if you want to wear a tux and evening gown, you might be disappointed on Oceania. At the same time, the consistent level of dress for almost everyone on board is smart casual, much like you would see at a private club. The brochure for the Line is not that far off in re how folks dress; they also act in a manner that (for us) makes it a pleasant, peaceful time.

We've sailed several lines, and always enjoyed the formal nights. We're at a point, though, where we've been there, done that, and look for quality, ambiance, comfort and a class experience. That, in so many words, is what we have found on Oceania. We are prepping for a Baltic voyage in August, and I'm packing a summer coat, some smart shirts, slacks and country-club casual wear. If you dress more formally, no one will notice or think poorly of you, but the variety of clothing is really not a big deal IMHO.

We choose Oceania because the small-ship experience is more personal, because they go to some very cool places, and because their food and service is top notch. Just returned from a Regent cruise, and Oceania favorably compares to them in dress and service. Just my $0.02 worth...

Bob H

Thank you all very much for your replies. Very helpful when we are trying to book a cruise, are not sure who to go with and thought Oceania looked to be a favourable choice. Even though I may not be able to wear my sparkly cocktail dresses, this still sounds like a good choice.

Merci again.

I found the "Country Club" line defines the dress code. It's not your Macy's, Kohls or Target outfit. Most women wore expensive outfits with matching everything other than what we typically call "Dressy". Hope you get the drift.

Have never sailed on Oceania but am booked for 2010. Now I am worried. Do all of you agree with agnesd that "designer" clothes is required? I admit that I love Kohl's. When we sailed Seabourn this February, I wore my Kohl's dresses to dinner every night but the formal nights. I did not feel underdressed. We are from small town USA and do not even have a country club within an hour's drive. The only country club I have been to was for a wedding reception in Hilton Head. Does everyone at country clubs wear designer clothes? If sailing on Oceania means I have to buy all new clothes, we will cancel. Thanks for the help.

Dunno what could be wrong with Macy's or Kohl's stuff...

We don't wear designer labels, unless Columbia, Dockers, Gloria Vanderbilt are designer now! We never felt under dressed, and saw some people more gussied up, some definitely more casual.

Wore nicer capris/slacks with sweater set type tops to dinner with strappy sandals. Hubby didn't bring a jacket and tie last time, nor will he in Sept.

Don't fret.

I don't think you need to go out and buy all new designer clothes.

Nice casual seems to fit the Country Club Casual requirement (whatever that might mean).

I wear Docker style trousers and collared shirts for the most part, and fit right in.

My wife wears nice pants and tops, and she looks great.

I don't think either of us own "designer clothes".

^^ I agree HR

We were on the same cruise as agnesd, and I didn't notice many 'gals' wearing exclusive designer & expensive outfits.

Ok! there was one lady, very Grace Kelly - the Cardigan draped over the shoulder look, carrying a nice Hermes Birkin, classic and stunning Armani outfits for dinner etc.

I'm from Melbourne in Australia (the home of wearing all Black) My evening travel wardrobe consists of a couple of LBD's, Black 3/4 pants, shirt(s), shoes, leather thongs etc and *LOTS* of accessories to swap around to change the look of my outfits.

During the day I'm a RL kinda girl.

My motto, wear what is comfortable and enjoy your cruise:)

When we go to the Polo or Toscana restaurants I always like to wear a sport jacket,wife dresses a little more upsacle frilly blouse nicer slacks, Like going into Manhattan upscale resaturant.In GRD a little more cassual no jacket. But thats us .

Designer clothes? I'm pretty sure someone designs the clothes at Walmart...;) Betsy favors LL Bean, I get some of my wrinkle-free stuff from TravelSmith, and both of us pick up bargains that look really nice at Sams Club, Bealls, etc. I wear chinos or somewhat dressy slacks and either a collared polo shirt, moderately tasteful Caribbean shirt (camp shirt), or button-down dressy shirt, depending on my mood. I also wear boat shoes a lot with the Dockers and Blazer look, and never wear socks with them. We had a big debate on this forum about socks with boat shoes a couple of years ago, and the overwhelming opinion was that no one should wear socks with boat shoes.

On occasion, sometimes for Polo or Toscanna, I'll wear a jacket, dressy shirt and slacks and loafers (with socks -- which I consider "formal"). I just got a TravelSmith Microfiber black sports coat that I can wear with matching black slacks for a formal night on those ships that still have costume parties, or with contrasting slacks for a more casual look. I can roll it up in the suitcase and it's washable.

Betsy will wear anything from dressy capris with a complmenting top and dressy sandals to pants suits to skirts and tops and sometimes a fairly dressy dress, but never anything super dressy. At 5' 9", she never wears heels, anywhere. She has scarves and other accessories to vary the look, but none of them have a "name" designer.

In 57 nights aboard Oceania, we have never looked out of place.

Based on our experience, the folks in the Oceania ads are over-dressed. On the other hand, I have never seen someone try to wear inappropriate clothes to the dining rooms, as I hear so much on other cruise line forums. Oceania seems to have found a sweet spot between costume parties (formal nights) and grunge, and everyone respects it.

Hi Everyone,

When I go cruising, I like to dress up. I really do not go for the 'casual' dressing in the evening at all. Would Oceania be for me or should I avoid. I have read some of the threads and think that this looks a good cruise line but as this is my holiday of the year, I would be so upset if I did not enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Consider it this way - it's YOUR cruise and the fact that you like to "dress for dinner" should in no way deter you from choosing Oceania. Their web site and the brochures say nothing to deter you from this, all they do is to "suggest" a certain decorum in the dining venues. It is simply a way of suggesting that everyone simply use good judgment in dress and avoid looking like something that was "dragged in from the dock!"

On all the cruises we have taken with Oceania, we have NEVER seen anyone dress inappropriately and everyone, without exception, has looked wonderful. However, as FDR has said in the past, if anyone chooses to put on a tuxedo at night, do not be surprised if they are handed a stack of menus and told to seat people at their tables!

Go enjoy yourselves!! :D

People seem to fret too much about what clothes they should wear. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw many, many years ago. I believe it was in the New Yorker magazine (can't believe that I use to read it when I was an undergraduate!). Shows a lady of the night leaning against a street post. The caption read "public opinion no longer bothers me".

That's how I feel about what I wear on board ship.

Designer labels don't mean a thing, it's fit that matters, but that is beside the point. IMHO, if you can afford to be on the cruise then you belong there, regardless of what you chose to wear or public opinion. No, do not fret about where you buy your clothes or what the label, that only you can see, says. Relax, and your fellow travelers will enjoy your carefree company.

On the last night of our 35 day O cruise a handsome silver-haired man did wear a tuxedo, I had to smile when he said "my wife made me bring this and, darn it all, I am going to wear it!". Shortly thereafter, he removed the jacket. He did look handsome, but I don't think he will bring it again. Yes, people dress nicely and you don't have to bring extra suitcases to carry the "evening clothes". The only persons I have seen not be allowed into the Grand Dining Room for dinner was a couple in shorts - nice ones, I'm sure, but they were discreetly asked to change or go up to the Terrace Cafe. And they should have been.

Designer labels don't mean a thing, it's fit that matters, but that is beside the point. IMHO, if you can afford to be on the cruise then you belong there, regardless of what you chose to wear or public opinion. No, do not fret about where you buy your clothes or what the label, that only you can see, says. Relax, and your fellow travelers will enjoy your carefree company.

Jacquie,

Well said. I totally agree with you.

See you soon,

Esther

I was getting concerned after reading the post about Macy's, Target and Kohl's clothing being "inappropriate" attire for dining on Oceania. My concerns were laid to rest after reading the rest of the thread. I shop at Nordstrom, Saks - even Barney's on the rare occasion. I also shop at Wal-Mart, Target, Macy's etc. for clothing. One of my favorite casual dresses is from Land's End - on sale, $24.99. And I'm bringing it with me. And I'm wearing it in the DR. Accessories can make inexpensive outfits look elegant. A simple dress with knockout accessories is always appropriate no matter what label is on the inside.

What is scary we don't even have anything in our town as nice as Macys or Kohls. We have a Wal Mart, Penneys and Sears and Christopher Banks. We have a country club also. We have been hit so bad since 2004 with economy issues. Every industry we had left town. Only 2 houses have been built in 3 years. To get to a Macys we would have to drive 200 miles. Don't belong to the "club" but now am wondering what they wear as designer clothes. If you have the money honey they will accept you as long as your covered and without holes I would imagine. I have never seen anyone turned away from a dining room on any cruise line I was on

What is scary we don't even have anything in our town as nice as Macys or Kohls. We have a Wal Mart, Penneys and Sears and Christopher Banks. We have a country club also. We have been hit so bad since 2004 with economy issues. Every industry we had left town. Only 2 houses have been built in 3 years. To get to a Macys we would have to drive 200 miles. Don't belong to the "club" but now am wondering what they wear as designer clothes. If you have the money honey they will accept you as long as your covered and without holes I would imagine. I have never seen anyone turned away from a dining room on any cruise line I was on

I think the whole thing has been overexaggerated. If you are comfortable and dressed appropriately for any restaurant other than a fast food type restaurant, there should be no problem. My DH brings a jacket with him which he wears to the GDR but that is his choice. I wear what I want, usually a pair of blck pants and a dressy top with sandals. Jogging suits and running shoes are not acceptable but I have seem them in the GDR.

You will see all sorts of clothes, shoes, accessories. I used to say you would see Methodist Church clothes to Fredrick's of Hollywod. DH and I sort of keep a running list of "outstanding dressers". Gives old married folks (40 years August) something new to talk about.

Hey Librarian. I got my MLS from U of I Champaign in 1971. I was a school librarian in both Champaign district #4 and Urbana district #116. I usually do not wear my "read" T-shirts (Got Books? Share books with Friends etc) but I have worn my orange-checked Librarian shirt on board with no evil consequences.

:cool: Besides the Washington Post says Wal-Mart is going more upscale and Tarr-jay is French for Me Too.

Archived