Dressing themes on Oceania??

GODIVA28

Just came back from a Med. cruise. Had gotten my dh some slacks and dressy shirts (linen) at Marshalls' and Costco. Not a problem.

Holly

Have never sailed on Oceania but am booked for 2010. Now I am worried. Do all of you agree with agnesd that "designer" clothes is required? I admit that I love Kohl's. When we sailed Seabourn this February, I wore my Kohl's dresses to dinner every night but the formal nights. I did not feel underdressed. We are from small town USA and do not even have a country club within an hour's drive. The only country club I have been to was for a wedding reception in Hilton Head. Does everyone at country clubs wear designer clothes? If sailing on Oceania means I have to buy all new clothes, we will cancel. Thanks for the help.

:eek: On Oceania at Dinner????

Jeans are not allowed in the dining room for dinner after the first day. My wife's luggage was misdirected. She did go to the Grand Dining Room in Jeans until her luggage was delivered to the ship in Malta. The Oceania Staff was quite accomodating!

Jeans are not allowed in the dining room for dinner after the first day. My wife's luggage was misdirected. She did go to the Grand Dining Room in Jeans until her luggage was delivered to the ship in Malta. The Oceania Staff was quite accomodating!

If you have extenuating circumstances I can see them allowing jeans or whatever the first day or so. That is understandable.

A lady on our last cruise her luggage was missing 5 days but she did buy some things on shore.

Just wondering since PONDNANA mentioned seeing jogging suits in the GDR if it was at dinner.:confused:

I guess people could travel in jogging suits so it may be their only outfit if their luggage was delayed.

Lyn

Thank you all. We will not be cancelling our cruise. When we sailed on Silverseas, we were not aware that men are required to wear jackets after 6 pm. They do NOT serve a man after 6 pm if he does not have a jacket on. Needless to say, we will not sail with them again. When we travelled around the world, we were limited to two suitcases each. We took old clothes and left them at hotels to make room for souvenirs. We choose to spend our money on seeing the world instead of clothes.

My husband and I sailed on the Miami/Barcelona Transatlantic this past March. We do like to dress up in our formal attire when we can. We made a special night of our 35th anniversary, dressed in our finest and sat at an intimate table for 2 in Polo. We didnt care what others thought, as a matter of fact, didnt much notice anyone else at all! It was a memorable meal and an evening we will likely never forget.

My husband and I sailed on the Miami/Barcelona Transatlantic this past March. We do like to dress up in our formal attire when we can. We made a special night of our 35th anniversary, dressed in our finest and sat at an intimate table for 2 in Polo. We didnt care what others thought, as a matter of fact, didnt much notice anyone else at all! It was a memorable meal and an evening we will likely never forget.

That is a nice thing about Oceania. You have the flexibility of dressing formally without feeling out of place. I didn't bring a tuxedo for my Roman Revalations cruise due to the hot weather and not wanting to pack more luggage. I do, however, like to wear a tuxedo and would not feel uncomfortable wearing it to the Polo Grill.

That is a nice thing about Oceania. You have the flexibility of dressing formally without feeling out of place.

Precisely. You also have the flexibility of dressing fairly informally if you prefer in fitting into the "country club casual" requested attire. I either wore black or white slacks with various dressier tops to dinner the entire trip, and always felt comfortable. My spouse left his sports jacket home this time, but always wore a dress shirt and some Docker-type slacks to dinner and also felt comfortable at all times.

Those who preferred jeans, shorts and other sports attire for dinner enjoyed Tapas for dinner.

Very easy packing, as someone mentioned earlier.

Enjoy your trip!

I understand the dress requirements for dinner, but what about breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. Are shorts and t-shirts acceptable, clean and in good taste, of course?

Bruce

I understand the dress requirements for dinner, but what about breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. Are shorts and t-shirts acceptable, clean and in good taste, of course?

Bruce

Of course ..

no swimwear allowed at anytime in GDR;)

Lyn

Well, I checked out O's website to see what they say about onboard dress.

Country Club Casual is about it with no definition of what that is.

So I can't see how they could stop anyone from wearing whatever they wanted wherever they wanted. And with folks really not caring or purposefully liking to bend all the standards, then we most likely will see whatever whenever. JMHO.

Actually, it's a bit more comprehensive. In their Frequently Asked Questions, it says:

Q: Is there a dress code?A: Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.
That stops the "anything goes" about which you expressed concern. As for "...folks really not caring or purposefully liking to bend all the standards, then we most likely will see whatever whenever...", that happens on mass market cruise lines. In my experience and according to all the reports, that has never been a problem on Oceania.

Actually, it's a bit more comprehensive. In their Frequently Asked Questions, it says:

That stops the "anything goes" about which you expressed concern. As for "...folks really not caring or purposefully liking to bend all the standards, then we most likely will see whatever whenever...", that happens on mass market cruise lines. In my experience and according to all the reports, that has never been a problem on Oceania.

at dinner? all over the ship including tapas?

I agree not a problem, however I still think that if someone wanted to push it they could. Suggested and requested leave the door open.

So I can't see how they could stop anyone from wearing whatever they wanted wherever they wanted. And with folks really not caring or purposefully liking to bend all the standards, then we most likely will see whatever whenever. JMHO.

Most people that cruise on O do dress appropriately unlike on some mass market lines with "freestyle" .

There are always some that like to push the envelope but have not seen many on Oceania.

Lyn

I probably didn't explain it right. What I meant to say is that it isn't as casual as some cruise lines. I, also, didn't have designer clothes or felt intimidated by others but wanted you to know that it wasn't a "cocktail dress atmoshere." It was better described as a "smart look".

I'm not sure what the smart look or smart shirts are. I"m afraid my shirts might all be dumber than a sack of hammers.

OK, this was the funniest thing I've read since the packing list for men and women.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone answer my question shown in the above title???

I probably didn't explain it right. What I meant to say is that it isn't as casual as some cruise lines. I, also, didn't have designer clothes or felt intimidated by others but wanted you to know that it wasn't a "cocktail dress atmoshere." It was better described as a "smart look".

Archived