Second thoughts- have I done something stupid???

Kayelache

I just booked a Frontier flight from Phoenix to SEA/TAC, arriving at 12:35 PM. I did so because the price dropped almost $100 overnight.

Our ship (HAL) sails at 5 PM from pier 91. If we miss it, we are in HUGE trouble, as we have 8 sea days before reaching Japan. I had two choices of airlines, Alaska that would have arrived SEA/TAC at 9:30 AM and this one. I chose the Frontier flight because there is no charge for checked luggage. It's a 35 day cruise, so it will be two large suitcases each- $15 for the first one, and $25 for the second, that's $40 each way or $80 RT. But I am VERY concerned about the short connection time. I have a reservation with Sunny for transportation from the airport to the pier. How long should that take?

My question is this, should I pay the $150 fee to change the reservation to the day before and also pay for an overnight hotel, or take a chance- with huge consequences if it backfires- on (a) the plane getting in on time, and (b) our luggage arriving in a "timely manner" and © having a smooth connection from the airport to the pier. What would you do?

I just booked a Frontier flight from Phoenix to SEA/TAC, arriving at 12:35 PM. I did so because the price dropped almost $100 overnight.

Our ship (HAL) sails at 5 PM from pier 91. If we miss it, we are in HUGE trouble, as we have 8 sea days before reaching Japan. I had two choices of airlines, Alaska that would have arrived SEA/TAC at 9:30 AM and this one. I chose the Frontier flight because there is no charge for checked luggage. It's a 35 day cruise, so it will be two large suitcases each- $15 for the first one, and $25 for the second, that's $40 each way or $80 RT. But I am VERY concerned about the short connection time. I have a reservation with Sunny for transportation from the airport to the pier. How long should that take?

My question is this, should I pay the $150 fee to change the reservation to the day before and also pay for an overnight hotel, or take a chance- with huge consequences if it backfires- on (a) the plane getting in on time, and (b) our luggage arriving in a "timely manner" and © having a smooth connection from the airport to the pier. What would you do?

It's only stupid if you miss the ship. :)

However, you've set yourself up for it and I STRONGLY advise you to re-book for a flight much earlier or better, the day before. You've got way too much at stake and too many things that can go wrong and no time to fix them to cut it that close.

We always arrange to arrive at least a day ahead unless we're leaving from our homeport (which is 50 miles away...and even then we tend to be out the door by 9:30am). There's Murphy's Law, which doesn't care if it screws up your vacation. Why stress yourself out? Plus, if you forget something, you have some time to go on a shopping trip.

I would have flown in the day before the cruise. We always do. There is always risk the plane will be canceled or delayed and you will miss the cruise. There is just too much that can go wrong from weather related items, to mechanical issues, to security issues.

Keith

I am all about saving money, but IMO the money you are saving by not flying in the previous day is just not worth it. Figure the cost of missing the ship vs your savings and you will see what I mean. Plus, I like getting in a day early since it makes the vacation a bit longer and it allows me to settle in for the cruise and not be rushed.

DaveOKC

OP- This is strange, I do not see any Frontier (F9) flights arriving at 12:35. When are you traveling? I may not be looking far enough ahead.

As you know you will be connecting through DEN. If you're going in winter there can be bad delays at times when the occasional blizzard blows through. It happens a few times every season.

The good news is F9's PHX-DEN and DEN-SEA flights have a fairly good ontime track record. But if you miss your connection or the flight to SEA is cancelled, the next flight will not get you to the ship in time. I believe F9 tickets are not endorsable to other airlines, so you can only be accomodated on other F9 flights (could stand corrected on this, it's true with other discount airlines like Southwest).

I'd change to the day before as others recommend, there's just too much at stake. If you're traveling in winter, consider switching to a totally different airline and either get a nonstop or connect through the LA or SF area, SAN, PDX, or SLC. One rather offbeat suggestion is Long Beach (LGB); USAirways has flights from PHX and Alaska goes to Seattle from there. Find out what you can do with your F9 ticket if you change airlines; most likely you will get a credit (less $150) for future travel. New travel must be booked within a year of the date the orginal ticket was issued. Since you can book up to 330 days in advance, that gives you almost 2 years if you stretch the deadlines.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Hi, I'm the OP-

Well, I got back on the Southwest website, and there was a place to change reservation. I figured it would cost me, but knew it was the sensible thing to do. I changed the departure date from 9/24 to 9/23, and you won't believe this! That flight was $50 less, and we weren't charged for the change! So we have a $25 credit each for future flights! Whew!!!

Now to find a hotel reasonably. Think I'll look for one downtown, near Pike Market. We'll have all afternoon and evening to see some of Seattle.

Thanks for the input- I knew trying to fly the day of the cruise didn't make sense as soon as I booked the flight.

Hi, I'm the OP-

Well, I got back on the Southwest website, and there was a place to change reservation. I figured it would cost me, but knew it was the sensible thing to do. I changed the departure date from 9/24 to 9/23, and you won't believe this! That flight was $50 less, and we weren't charged for the change! So we have a $25 credit each for future flights! Whew!!!

Now to find a hotel reasonably. Think I'll look for one downtown, near Pike Market. We'll have all afternoon and evening to see some of Seattle.

Thanks for the input- I knew trying to fly the day of the cruise didn't make sense as soon as I booked the flight.

I'm really confused now...In your OP you were flying frontier...now Southwest?

Hi, I'm the OP-

Now you can check out our beautiful city the day before your cruise and not be stressed about missing your ship.

Enjoy.

You booked Frontier because there was no charge for luggage, saving $80 round trip and now you want to pay twice that to change your flight?

Sorry to confuse everyone. It was originally Southwest, not Frontier, that I booked with. And it's Southwest for the new reservation. At any rate, I have a new confirmation for a day earlier, there was no penalty for the change, and it costs less than the original booking. Now, we'll not have to worry about a delay that could be disasterous.

Figure it's win-win all the way around. Now to find a hotel in Seattle.

Hi, I'm the OP-

Why I love Southwest!! :D Gotta love an airline that understands that plans change and you need luggage. I check our flights daily and anytime you see a drop you can rebook the same flights and you will get the credit good for 1 year from your original booking date to use it.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You made the right choice to change flight to an earlier time.

If cost is an issue, you can get Seattle hotels at heavily discounted prices via Hotwire/Priceline – less than $100 for many people, some at less than $50/night. Do some research on these boards and you will see that you are not paying that much more for peace of mind by coming in one night earlier.

As point of reference, there’s a very lively discussion on the Celebrity board (100 replies in 3 days) on a family that had their flight canceled and as a result, missed their boarding of the Millennium north bound Alaska cruise and due to the Jones Act, they were not allowed to board the ship anywhere in the US ports. So their entire vacation is ruined. You don't want to chance that.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1026648

You're going to love Seattle. Been there three times, and the last time I got to introduce my hubby and daughter to the city, pre and post-cruise, and they enjoyed it too.

I have read on CC of people who have booked their air through their cruiseline (Princess) and the flights were incredibly crazy (a few stops, difficult connections, etc.). And some of them have missed their cruise as the ship won't always wait for you, even if you have cruise air. And as noted above, if you miss the embarkation, you are basically screwed.

Sorry to confuse everyone. It was originally Southwest, not Frontier, that I booked with. And it's Southwest for the new reservation.

You are flying Southwest to go to the Northwest? Do you fly Northwest when you want to go to the Southwest?

You are flying Southwest to go to the Northwest? Do you fly Northwest when you want to go to the Southwest?

LOL!! With Eastern, Western, Southern, North Central, Northeast, and soon Northwest all part of airline history, there's not many "compass" choices left for airlines. I've always had a rule (half joke, half serious) to never invest in a company whose name is on a sports venue. Maybe another is never invest in an airline with a "directional" name...Southwest being the exception! :)

Hi, I'm the OP-

Southwest Air is a wonderful thing. I hate getting nickle-and-dimed by cruise lines, airlines and anyone else for that matter. I once booked the wrong flight dates on Southwest. I was able to change it for no cost. I also like the fact that they don't charge for the first two pieces of luggage. On a cruise, that packing light stuff is for the birds.

Hi there,

Check out Cedarbrook Hotel near Seatac Airport, they have an airport shuttle to the Hotel, I have booked it for an overnight in September,its not far from the City centre too, and comes highly recommened through reviews I have read.

Have a lovely time.

Hi there,

Check out Cedarbrook Hotel near Seatac Airport, they have an airport shuttle to the Hotel, I have booked it for an overnight in September,its not far from the City centre too, and comes highly recommened through reviews I have read.

Have a lovely time.

IMO, I would recommend an airport hotel (in just about any city) if you had an early flight the next morning.

IMO' date=' I would recommend an airport hotel (in just about any city) if you had an early flight the next morning.[/quote']Why, will the plane come and pick you up? I might have to try that out, I think it would be neat.

Why, will the plane come and pick you up? I might have to try that out, I think it would be neat.

I was my typing my answer and got distracted by hubby who was warning us that it was getting too hot to use the computers (we are having a problem with our AC so we can't use that).

Anyway, what I was responding to was the suggestion of staying at an airport hotel. As you know by some of the LAX threads, many people go ahead and book a hotel near an airport. Sometimes it's to save money as hotels near airports are often lower than ones in a city. In my opinion, that's fine if you have an early morning flight the next day and staying at a hotel that will shuttle you over. Easier to make your flight.

But if you want to go see the local sights or want to have a decent meal (and you're not just looking for a place to stay the night before a flight), why not stay in the city (in decent areas)? In the case of Seattle, SeaTac is a major distance away. If you plan to sightsee, you'll have to rent a car (which costs more to rent at a SeaTac office anyway) or use taxi services. Plus the time involved in getting up to Seattle. Any money you're saving at an airport hotel may be eaten up by transportation costs to get away from that hotel.

Besides the Port of Seattle is up in Seattle, not near the airport.

Actually, what I did was get on Priceline. I've never used it before, but with prompting from the wonderful CC members, it was easy. I bid $65 for a 3.5 star hotel in the Pike Market area, and got Mariott Renaissance Seattle, which came to around $80 with the taxes. I cancelled my reservation with the limo, and we will take the Grayline Airliner bus for $11 each, which stops right at the hotel door. Then we will have all afternoon to explore, have a good dinner and a comfortable night Sleeping in Seattle. Next morning, we can walk to Pike Market, have breakfast there, and look around the area. Then leisurely back to the hotel to check out, and take their shuttle ($6 each) to the pier.

BTW, in a dollar and cents way of putting it, it cost us almost nothing. The limo would have been $54, the bus and shuttle come to $34. The $80 hotel is offset by the $50 we saved by changing the plane reservation. But, most important...Peace of Mind- Priceless!

This started out terrifying me- at best it would have been a rush situation with the knowledge that we could very well miss the ship and end the whole cruise. Now it has turned into joyful anticipation. An "bonus" shore excursion! A new city to get to know!

I am estatic!! Thank you everyone who responded. I couldn't cruise without CruiseCritic!

I was my typing my answer and got distracted by hubby who was warning us that it was getting too hot to use the computers (we are having a problem with our AC so we can't use that).

Anyway' date=' what I was responding to was the suggestion of staying at an airport hotel. As you know by some of the LAX threads, many people go ahead and book a hotel near an airport. Sometimes it's to save money as hotels near airports are often lower than ones in a city. In my opinion, that's fine if you have an early morning flight the next day and staying at a hotel that will shuttle you over. Easier to make your flight.

But if you want to go see the local sights or want to have a decent meal (and you're not just looking for a place to stay the night before a flight), why not stay in the city (in decent areas)? In the case of Seattle, SeaTac is a major distance away. If you plan to sightsee, you'll have to rent a car (which costs more to rent at a SeaTac office anyway) or use taxi services. Plus the time involved in getting up to Seattle. Any money you're saving at an airport hotel may be eaten up by transportation costs to get away from that hotel.

Besides the Port of Seattle is up in Seattle, not near the airport.[/quote']

I like it better if the plane comes and picks me up. :)

Archived