New ship?

RickEk

I speculated on this a few weeks ago and now it seems closer to fruition. This article summary is from travelweekly.com:

Carnival Corp. may place a ship order for a North American brand in the near future, with Princess Cruises likely at the top of the list, according to a Wall Street analyst. In 2008, Carnival Corp. put the brakes on ship orders for North American brands, citing the sagging dollar and increased shipbuilding costs at the European shipyards. UBS equity analyst Robin Farley said this week that shipbuilding prices in euros are currently at the same level that they were five years ago, and that Carnival has ordered ships at these prices in the past. Princess hasn't placed a ship order since the Ruby Princess, which entered service last year, (www,TravelWeekly.com, 7/28)

I speculated on this a few weeks ago and now it seems closer to fruition. This article summary is from travelweekly.com:

Carnival Corp. may place a ship order for a North American brand in the near future, with Princess Cruises likely at the top of the list, according to a Wall Street analyst. In 2008, Carnival Corp. put the brakes on ship orders for North American brands, citing the sagging dollar and increased shipbuilding costs at the European shipyards. UBS equity analyst Robin Farley said this week that shipbuilding prices in euros are currently at the same level that they were five years ago, and that Carnival has ordered ships at these prices in the past. Princess hasn't placed a ship order since the Ruby Princess, which entered service last year, (www,TravelWeekly.com, 7/28)

Thanks, I think the deal is alot further along then they say it is.

That's nice hope it is either of the Island/Coral or the Diamond/Sapphire class or even Grand, Star or Golden.

If it would be like the extra deck ones then we could care less.:eek:

Jack

for the lovely

Shogun discussed this on his "live from" post (the Crown I think??) Said he had seen all the plans and was told about the new ship from the crew, so I think it is likely. Of course, Shogun himself could paint a far clearer picture than my vague mutterings written here :D

Shogun discussed this on his "live from" post (the Crown I think??) Said he had seen all the plans and was told about the new ship from the crew, so I think it is likely. Of course, Shogun himself could paint a far clearer picture than my vague mutterings written here :D

Actually I talked about it too on my Golden Alaska live. Captain Foster said that the ship was to be like the Ruby but 90 feet or so longer. It is already in the builing stages as it was supposed to be a Cunard ship?

Getting old can't remember what happened in May!! :eek:

If the ships keep getting bigger and bigger, pretty soon they are not going to have any place to go. Invading some of the ports with 5000+ passengers at one time is a crime. I think the Coral/Island size is perfect.

Barbara

Actually I talked about it too on my Golden Alaska live. Captain Foster said that the ship was to be like the Ruby but 90 feet or so longer. It is already in the builing stages as it was supposed to be a Cunard ship?

Getting old can't remember what happened in May!! :eek:

Sorry, Colo! I only joined the boards in May, so I guess I missed your Golden live thread, I'm sure it was fantastic, though :) Think I might go and do a search for it now :)

If the ships keep getting bigger and bigger, pretty soon they are not going to have any place to go. Invading some of the ports with 5000+ passengers at one time is a crime. I think the Coral/Island size is perfect.

Barbara

I don't think Princess will go there with the huge ships.

I for one would love to see a whole new class of ship for Princess. If they do make it larger, I'm OK with that, but would hope that the space ratio would improve rather than get worse as it has with recent Princess newbuilds.

Thanks, I think the deal is alot further along then they say it is.

My contact at Princess sez that the deal is certainly farther along than this story suggests...

And while I would certainly like to see another vessel in the Coral/Island class, that's definitely not going to happen. As was mentioned, she'll more than likely be a stretched version of the Crown-class ships.

Colo .... the only ship i can recall that is in build is for Cunard and will be the New Queen Elizabeth .... the only other one currently ongoing is the Azura for P and O which is the same as Ventura and Ruby !! if its currently being built who has the contract and where? as you know the Carnival dream was the last ship fincantieri built before Azura.

Fincantieri order book until 2012 shows no ship orders for princess!

From what I understand, no contracts have been signed, so, of course Fincantieri doesn't have an order on their books... but that order is supposed to be imminent...

I am guessing that if the new ship is for Princess, it will just be a variation on the current Princess theme and not too different from their latest ships. Captain Tony Yeomans mentioned on the inagural cruise of the Ruby that Princess seems to have found a winning decor and design that they will stick with it for future vessels. Now, of course, whether that is true or not will be seen if Princess does indeed have a new ship.

Archived