All cash tips to crew must go into a pool ?

zodiacman

If you leave the automatic charges in place and tip additionally with envelopes, the person receiving the extra tip will put your name and cabin number on the envelope. They get the UNOPENED envelopes back once it is verified that you have not removed the autotips. Otherwise they go into the pool.

If you leave the automatic charges in place and tip additionally with envelopes, the person receiving the extra tip will put your name and cabin number on the envelope. They get the UNOPENED envelopes back once it is verified that you have not removed the autotips. Otherwise they go into the pool. :D

We always leave automatic tips in place, additionally we tip the room steward at the beginning of the cruise with cash(not in envelope) as well as at the end. We always get excellent service. Is he/she able to keep the cash or must it be turned in???

When we were on the Ruby TA this past April our waiter told us they had to turn in extra tips even though we had not taken off auto -tips. We specifically asked the maitre d' the same question, and he confirmed that all tips go into a pool. He said nothing about the waiters getting the tips back after the record was checked to be sure we kept auto-tips in place. He did, however, write our name and cabin # on the envelope. I hope he got the extra money back because we were not happy to think that he couldn't keep the whole amount. It was for his excellent service that we gave it to him!

This is an interesting thread and I hope someone can "put the subject to rest." I cannot imagine that our cabin steward did not get to keep our cash tip as we did not remove the auto tipping. But I'd really like to know if that is the case.

I encountered one lady at the front desk removing her tips, and also wanting to remove them for her female traveling companion. The desk told her the other lady would have to personally come down. I played a little dumb with the lady and said I hadn't realized you could actually remove the tip from your bill. She said something to the effect it was ridiculous to pay $10.50 a day in gratuities and she preferred to tip in cash. Yeah right. This lady was fascinated that the desk person had a whole bunch of coins spread out in front of her that she was counting (donated by passengers for charity, poor kid was trying to figure out what country they were from.) The awful passenger lady was fascinated and kept asking who would get the money - I honestly think she hoped the girl would hand her some!

For the second time...

If you leave the automatic charges in place and tip additionally with envelopes, the person receiving the extra tip will put your name and cabin number on the envelope. They get the UNOPENED envelopes back once it is verified that you have not removed the autotips. Otherwise they go into the pool.

For the second time...

Seriously are you telling me, if you left either cash or cash in an envelope and handed it to a member of staff without others around they would hand it in. Pull the other it has bells on!!

xx

Seriously are you telling me, if you left either cash or cash in an envelope and handed it to a member of staff without others around they would hand it in. Pull the other it has bells on!!

xx

There is strong pressure amongst the crew to do so....not to mention the fact that failure to follow the rules could cost your job.

Yes, I'm sure the "occasional" amount gets pocketed. But from talking to crew, I doubt it happens often.

xx

Turning it in might be about self preservation. In a tipping environment, your boss will assume you are not doing your job, which is why the patron refused to tip. Of course that's not necessarily the case. If the passenger gave the stewards cash but removed the auto tip, their performance might be questioned. They might not know if the cash was extra or it replaced the recommended amount. As a waitress, when I complained about customers not tipping, my boss first words were, what can "you" do to change that.

Additionally if crew members do not abide by the pooling of the tips they are cheating their co workers. They all have room mates, friends and associates that would not be happy to be cheated and would turn them in.

they might steal once or twice from the rest of the crew, but most likely not for very long.

Remember, all the crew have contracts that they sign and agree to abide by.

xx

Seriously I am telling you that their job is on the line if they do not comply.. Also rumor has it that from time to time anonymous travelers from corporate are on board checking on all kinds of matters including declaration of tips by employees.

Seriously I am telling you that their job is on the line if they do not comply.. Also rumor has it that from time to time anonymous travelers from corporate are on board checking on all kinds of matters including declaration of tips by employees.

I apologize to you all and I stand corrected:eek:. Faith in the human race restored.

However please never mention I was wrong to my husband, I told him years ago I could never be wrong.:D

Christine

For the second time...

Do you have first hand knowledge of this? Your experiences are greatly appreciated.

So is there any way to financially reward a steward without getting them in trouble. Do they definitely get the unopened envelopes back? If i don't have an envelope and hand them cash, do they put it in an envelope themselves and turn it in? Looking foreward to your response

For the second time...

This is correct. No matter what, whether you tip in cash or in an envelope, they must turn it in to the pool. Once it's determined that the auto-tip hasn't been removed, they get it back.

Sorry to disillusion you but this is correct. If they are caught not turning it cash or extra tip, they could be released and have to pay their own way home. Plus, they'll never have another job on Princess or probably any other cruiseline. That's a pretty big incentive.

It's hard to believe that a room steward would write the name on every envelope who gave it to him. It's also hard to believe that Princess is going to take these envelopes and try to go through the computer to see if they took their tips off or not. I have asked many stewards that I have given cash too and they all say they keep it. The bartenders have told me the same. I guess, if other employees went above and beyond the call of duty, they would not have to worry about getting tips from someone else's excellent service.

Do you have first hand knowledge of this? Your experiences are greatly appreciated.

So is there any way to financially reward a steward without getting them in trouble. Do they definitely get the unopened envelopes back? If i don't have an envelope and hand them cash, do they put it in an envelope themselves and turn it in? Looking forward to your response

By leaving the auto-tip in place, they get to keep any $$ extra. If you give them an envelope with any extra tip they will write your name and cabin number on it in case you forgot. If you give them cash without an envelope, they will put it in an envelope and write your name and cabin number on it. The envelopes are turned in to their supervisor at the end of the evening shift. If, at the end of the cruise, you did not remove the auto-tip, the envelopes are returned to the person you gave it to. If you removed the auto-tip, whatever $$ you placed in the envelope will go into the pool.

Archived