Kauai - Fern Grotto vs. Waimea Canyon

Solara

We are just going to be in Kauaii from 9-5. Wondering if you have to choose between the Fern Grotto & Waimea Canyon which you would choose & why. It would be a really long day on a bus if we went to both. Have never been to Hawaii before so would appreciate opinions.

Thanks

After having done both (on separate cruises), I would definitely go to Waimea Canyon, which is spectacular. We took a Roberts tour, and the guide was most knowledgeable, and made it a fun trip.

Fern Grotto is a very ho-hum sort of trip, and I wouldn't waste any money on doing it again. Was sorry we did it in the first place.

I agree with Cuz'n Couple 100%. I have been to both places twice and there is no comparsion; Waimea Canyon is the place to go again, and again. If you drive a rental car, be sure to drive all the way to end to of the road for a great view of the Na Pali Coast Line.

i'm also in total agreement with the previous posters. the canyon is the way to go. and if you rent a car you can make stops along the way at the kauai coffee plantation and poipu (spouting horn is interesting) and there are some cute old-hawaii style towns on the way also. we were able to see the canyon and wailua falls in the same day. if we'd known about the na pali view from the end of the canyon road we would have skipped the falls and continued up the road (we stopped at the first overlook). thanks for that info!!!!:D

i'm also in total agreement with the previous posters. the canyon is the way to go. and if you rent a car you can make stops along the way at the kauai coffee plantation and poipu (spouting horn is interesting) and there are some cute old-hawaii style towns on the way also. we were able to see the canyon and wailua falls in the same day. if we'd known about the na pali view from the end of the canyon road we would have skipped the falls and continued up the road (we stopped at the first overlook). thanks for that info!!!!:D

I second DIY and rent a car, and also like the others the Canyon. I would suggest you drive alll the way to the top, beyond where the road ends and becomes a beat up old road. If you do this you can beat all the other people/tours coming up and stopping at the middle stops and if you get to the top have a beautiful late morning view almost all to your self. It is also easier to manage your stops going back and time.

All the other stops mentioned above by the other poster are well worth it and doable in a day.

Enjoy

Waimea Canyon is really breathtaking. The only thing I would add here is that sometimes the canyon is overcast and rainy. [it does get more rain here than anywhere else in the USA]. I've been twice. Once it was sunny and awesome and the second time it was rainy and foggy and you couldn't see 25 yards. Therefore, if you can get some indication from someone on the day of your arrival as to the weather at the canyon, it might make a difference in your decision.

It was a clear day when we arrived in Kauai, and when we got up to the canyon, it was all overcast, and fogged in. We then drove over to Fern Grotto, and it was not much to write home about. Definitely do the canyon. Even with the clouds over the lookout area, it is still amazing just to drive up and see the sights along the way. There are several stops along the way that are some great photo ops.

We did the Fern Grotto tour when we were on our most recent Hawaii cruise in 2008, and, though it was pretty, and the boatride on the river was pleasant, the Grotto itself was disappointing. The closest one could get to it was a viewing platform in front of it. It is no longer considered safe to go into it, because of storm damage several years ago has made some parts of it unstable. Also, that storm destroyed someof the ferns, so they were a little sparse in places.

I have not seen Waimea Canyon yet, but am thinking about it for the 2010 cruise.

Ditto, ditto, dittto all the other responders. The canyon is the way to go, and if you have a car, definitely go up higher. as the other poser said, it is a pretty bumpy and pot holed filled road, but it's well worthy the ride. Absolutely gorgeous views.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2932496590056896458kUdKtK

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2389133470056896458gBZUcY

We did both in April. Go with the canyon, you won't be sorry. We also went to the Fern Grotto because it was part of the tour we took. But it is not much to see, nice but not worth the time or money. See the canyon!

charlie

Of course it's much more expensive, but if you're worried about the fatigue of all that driving, and on bumpy roads, perhaps you could consider a helicopter ride which will also show you the canyon, the NaPali coast and the water falls and only takes an hour or so.

FYI there is an internet special going on right now at islandhelicopters.com: $178 total including fuel surcharge per person. This is the same outfit that does the landing at a waterfall and the movie tour portion in the air. Plus, they will pick you up at the pier free of charge (as opposed to on Maui where they will not do this). It really is a "steal." We booked it for December.

Hi..just got back yesterday from our 25th anniversary Hawaiin vacation & NCL cruise. I would definately do Waimea canyon. Renting a car is the best way to go. Go farther than the first stop & you will get beautiful views. Go early as the canyon often fogs in around 11am-12n.Will post a complete review as soon as I recover from jet lag:D

Archived