Bringing a 9 month old on the Legend

Hi Everyone,

We are booked on the Legend 9/6 out of Tampa for 7 nights. Off the ship - what can we do? Do we bring the car seat and take taxis?

How strict is Carnival about letting her go in the pool if she has swimmers on?

Thanks everyone!!

I copied and pasted this from Carnival's website regarding the pool:

Use of the pools :

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

Here's the link:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Restrictions_on_Board.aspx

I would bring the car seat with me. Better to be safe than not. Also, it depends on what you are wanting to do. In Grand Cayman, if you are just walking around the shopping area, you wont need it. Same for Cozumel. I have heard that a lot of the seat belts in the taxi's in Cozumel do not work. Still, it might be better to have your little one inbetween you and your husband and you both holding the seat down. Belize, I dont think I would venture out and have a taxi take me around. I would either stick with a tour, or just walk around the shopping area. If you stick with the shopping area, you wont need it. Roatan, well, I havent been there yet, so I cant offer any advice there. This is all just my two cents worth! :) Have fun.

If you have the type of car seat that snaps into a stroller, bring them both. Believe me, the stroller will be a godsend. We took a family cruise to Cozumel with our 10 month old granddaughter and used the stroller on the ship and in the port. Have fun. We are two weeks behind you on the Legend.

I've heard of people bringing little blow up pools for kids who weren't allowed in the pools. Now, you wouldn't be able to set that up by the pools on the Legend because those areas are super packed but you might be able to find an area with a little space and let the baby swim.

camps are opened from noon til 2 so you and the baby can have play time- use their toys and climb on stuff.

We used the camps-- then went for a nap.

Strollers is a must- long trips down those long halls-- you want something as small as a umbrella type stroller as the halls are narrow-- with the cabin steward and his cart it makes manuvering around quite hard.

You want to reconsider using the pools- they are salt water. and for others safety it is a health hazzard to let your baby swim in the pool.

Dinner with our baby was fabulous- take those throw away sippy cups, utensils and what nots.

The high chairs are not the kind that have the tray-- they pull up to the table and sit very low to the table. (

My PERSONAL opinion is that the o.p. is pretty selfish bringing a 9 month old baby on a cruise. The O.P. should consider other passengers on board, and a screaming 9 month old in the dining room, not to mention the o.p. trying to get the kid in the pool so it can crap in it, and then the pool will have to be drained and cleaned, preventing the other passengers from using the pool.

Use some common sense people. A cruise is not the place for a 9 month old baby unless it's a private cruise, and you are the only one on the ship.

Hi Everyone,

We are booked on the Legend 9/6 out of Tampa for 7 nights. Off the ship - what can we do? Do we bring the car seat and take taxis?

Thanks everyone!!

If you plan on getting in any cars or buses, bring the car seat. I would definitely bring a stroller.

They will not let a child in the pool with swimmies. If you bring her in anyways, they will have to empty the pool, clean it, and refill it and that's not right to the other pax or crew.

Poster above me- not all 9 month old children are screamers and the family may or may not be planning to eat in the MDR. Maybe they were going to order room service every night for dinner. You don't know and I think your comment was a little rude.

Hi Colleen and Danny,

I do not have any info on the car seat, but just wanted to welcome you to cruise critic.

We are on the same sailing with you. Please join us on the roll call section.

Do not listen to the dingbat, who says you are being selfish bringing your 9 month old on board. Hope you have a great family cruise.

On past crusies the way some of the adults act after a few drinks, I would rather have a bunch of screaming babies on board....at least you know after a while they will eventually fall asleep.

My PERSONAL opinion is that the o.p. is pretty selfish bringing a 9 month old baby on a cruise. .

my PERSONAL opinion is that there are several mainstream cruiselines that are for families--- and a 9 month old is part of a family.

Do people with babies not take vacations until kids are older?

We took vacations not based on what kids can remember but to have quality family time.

When we cruise --no without kids-- i hope the people that do take kids are not the kind of people that allow babies to scream and hollar not only in the dining room but the show rooms etc.

(older kids can be just like that too--it isnt only about babies)

and lets not even talk about drink seniors who think they can croon like Frank Sinatra. :eek:

My PERSONAL opinion is that the o.p. is pretty selfish bringing a 9 month old baby on a cruise. The O.P. should consider other passengers on board, and a screaming 9 month old in the dining room, not to mention the o.p. trying to get the kid in the pool so it can crap in it, and then the pool will have to be drained and cleaned, preventing the other passengers from using the pool.

Use some common sense people. A cruise is not the place for a 9 month old baby unless it's a private cruise, and you are the only one on the ship.

Wow - this post was totally non-responsive to the OP. She's taking the kid...didn't ask opinions as to whether she should or not.

Wow! Harsh!! OP came in with innocent questions because she didn't KNOW the answers to them. Exactly what folks are supposed to do - ask! Your response is exactly the sort that discourages people from coming back here! Matter of fact, your post didn't help her at all; didn't answer a question - only hurled hateful judgment. Oh, and in MY personal opinion, YOU are the selfish one - believing that YOU and what YOU want should be considered by others over what THEY want. :cool:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone!!

We did the Legend out of Tampa in 2008 (I should also note that we did many of the same ports the previous year on the Valor)- my youngest was just shy of 4, so in the US, he would require a car seat. But to be honest, I didn't lug one around. I just belted him in on the buses we took. If you have one of those snugglies, and could secure baby to you, that might be my choice.

Since the baby is just going to go with the flow (I think, contrary to other posters, that traveling with children makes them more flexible inlightened adults), I would chose reasonable excursions that appeal to you. Only you know your baby and how flexible baby can be. Here's what we did:

Grand Cayman - Island tour and sting rays. This is about a 4 hour tour, so if baby naps still in the morning, might not work out so well. My DS ended up being afraid of the rays, so he got back on the boat with my mom. If you want to see them, it would be very easy for mom and dad o take turns in the water.

Roatan - Gumbalimba park (my boys loved seeing and holding the monkeys), but my recomendation would be go to Tabayana beach. It is just lovely and you get great views of the island on the drive over.

Belize - the town is very small, beyond that is a little rough. Most excursions center on water. Goff's Caye is a great snorkeling spot where they take you out in a boat, and you can get off and spend your time on this island. It was great for my then 2 yo who could just run around in the shallows. You take a boat straight from the ship - no car seat needed!

Cozumel - we did Chankanaab park for a dolphin encounter. Probably not the best for baby and I don't know what to tell you here - the streets were packed with shoppers. I was glad to be out of town.

Hope something in this post is helpful to you!

Thanks everyone for your tips! In response to CarnivalCruiseLover - I hate screaming 9 mo olds too but unfortunately babies are unpredictable just like some adults. For instance, I was not expecting a comment like yours. WOW.

I think I'm just going to have to do more research on what there is to do at the ports. I've seen many posts that say don't bother getting off at Roatan unless you do have a planned excursion. My parents and grandparents are coming with us as well so we not only have to consider the 9 month old but the couple in their 80s.

Anyway - thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

Thanks everyone for your tips! In response to CarnivalCruiseLover - I hate screaming 9 mo olds too but unfortunately babies are unpredictable just like some adults. For instance, I was not expecting a comment like yours. WOW.

I think I'm just going to have to do more research on what there is to do at the ports. I've seen many posts that say don't bother getting off at Roatan unless you do have a planned excursion. My parents and grandparents are coming with us as well so we not only have to consider the 9 month old but the couple in their 80s.

Anyway - thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

We cruised with our son when he was 11 mos old . . . the trip was fantastic but not as relaxing as the rest of the cruises have been as we had no time to ourselves. so it is great that you will have parents with you that can help out with the babysitting so you can enjoy some time as a couple.

We brought the stroller into dinner and after he ate, he went back into the stroller with a bottle and fell asleep. Evenings we would stroll around and enjoy the ship before putting him down to bed. We even strolled him into the back of the balcony so we could enjoy the shows while he was sleeping.

Have a great cruise with your child . . . which is what cruising is all about . . . enjoying your family!

My son is 18 months old and is getting ready for his 3rd cruise. We recommend the stroller and car seat for his safety and comfort. We never do the pool on the ship since we live in Florida and have one in the backyard, but I will comment here that I notice adults who sit in the pool for hours drinking all day and NEVER get out to go potty - and they worry about the babies in the diaper!

Regarding the dining room, we always eat in the main dining room and the baby behaves. If he doesn't, we excuse ourselves, just like we do in a restaurant. Also, we always get a private table because we realize that not everyone wants to dine with a baby.

Lastly, this is Carnival, not the Queen Mary. This is the family ship, for all walks of life, and I for one really do not care what the naysayers have to say about the babies on a ship. We work hard so we can play hard and as long as my 18 month old is being charged the same price as any other 3rd guest in the cabin, we are going to see to it that we, and he, has a good vacation.

One of our cruises was with friends who brought along their two kids... a 5 year old, and one which was almost 2. It was going to be "all good" though as they were also paying for the grandmother to come along to take care of the kids so that the 4 of us could take part in a few adult activities (dancing, drinking, gambling). As it turned out, it would have been a better idea to leave the kids with the grandmother ON SHORE, as the grandmother was too preoccupied with her "new boyfriend" which happened to also be on the cruise (another story) - and the parents ended up doing their own babysitting.

As a result, we did not see them much - and we still had a great time! :D

Moral of this story - it takes a lot to be a (good) parent, and going on a cruise with small children is no different. If you are willing to devote a lot of your vacation time fulfilling those obligations - more power to you, you will have some great family memories.

Tom

Kids under 5 should not be on a cruise period.

Well I wondered whose job it was to make up the rules for everyone. Now I guess I know. :cool: But why in the world have you waited nine whole years to begin telling us all what we should and shouldn't do?!

...but I will comment here that I notice adults who sit in the pool for hours drinking all day and NEVER get out to go potty - and they worry about the babies in the diaper!

While I don't condone urinating in pools, there is a HUGE difference between urine and feces and the health risks to others that they pose. This is a no brainer.

Archived