Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

Not obvious to me. The ruling was in place when George Smith fell overboard. Those that believe that the ban is to save us from ourselves are welcome to believe that, personally, I believe it's all about the bottom line.

Any proof for this? IIRC the new alcohol policy went into effect after the Smith case happened, but I´m ready to admit I´m recalling it wrong if you show me.

But leaving the timeline aside it´s quite obvious that the numbers of missinig persons on RCI ships went to zero up until today, while other lines still have many missing persons every year.

Any proof for this? IIRC the new alcohol policy went into effect after the Smith case happened, but I´m ready to admit I´m recalling it wrong if you show me.

But leaving the timeline aside it´s quite obvious that the numbers of missinig persons on RCI ships went to zero up until today, while other lines still have many missing persons every year.

No, you are completely correct the alcohol policy did not change to well after the George Smith case.

I thought that was the timeline. Does it help RC's bottom line? Yes, but it also shows that they are trying to being a responsible cruise line.

This is a subject that has been debated and will continue to be debated until eternity. I am not going to get into the pros & cons, since they have been covered in so many other threads.

If you don;t like what a particular line is doing or not doing, then there are cruise lines for your choosing.

Me, I would rather save the space in my luggage for additional undies, rather than hauling around wine or liquer.

This is "MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING"!

I do believe that the alcohol policy is part bottom line and part self defense. I remember one member reporting that an RCI (land based) rep told her that pax were no longer allowed to bring wine or to purchase in the duty free and pay the consumption fee was because "We (the cruise line) need to be able to control your behavior and can't allow you to drink in your cabins anymore." Well, obviously that's not true because you can order wine for your cabin or take wine from dinner to your cabin or go to the bar/get a drink/take drink to your cabin or even order from room service. Then there's the "some people are irresponsible and get drunk and fall overboard, so we must treat all passengers like children" argument. Okay, but there seem to be just as many reports of drunk pax on cruises now as there were before the fully restrictive rules were in place, so that doesn't fly either.

While there is certainly some truth to the CYA theory, especially in light of the fact that the cruise line has been sued when an adult pax has gotten drunk and fallen overboard or has injured himself/herself, there's no denying that it improves RCI's bottom line significantly. Of course the families of these pax blame the cruise line and don't expect their loved ones to have any responsibility for their own stupid and reckless behavior. I believe that reasonably intelligent adults should be held responsible for their own actions. Silly me...

beachchick

I believe that reasonably intelligent adults should be held responsible for their own actions. Silly me...

beachchick

Twas not always the case.

We have become far too litigious a society.

Responsibility lies in equal part with opportunistic lawyers, opportunistic public and stupid laws.

...Then there's the "some people are irresponsible and get drunk and fall overboard, so we must treat all passengers like children" argument. Okay, but there seem to be just as many reports of drunk pax on cruises now as there were before the fully restrictive rules were in place, so that doesn't fly either.....

Well the fact that there was no person missing from RCI ships since 2007 does fly with me.

My stupid quiestion would be what is vacation mean and I always bring extra undies especially for my husband due to previous colonscopy in past so he even gets extra undies. If something happens and low on it, than I would use the service only if I really have to. If you do not want to bring EXTRA, than cut your vacation shorter.

Perhaps, taking your "whine" about the wine and laundry elsewhere is the best solution. Cancel the upcoming cruise now and book on another line that suites your needs or wants as they may. I am sure the other people on that cruise will be grateful.

It is always amazing to hear people just get so wound up over something so small.

If you need to budget down to the penny, then cruising is obviously not your type of vacation.

No, you are completely correct the alcohol policy did not change to well after the George Smith case.

If you are referring to not being able to take bottles purchased from the onboard store back to your cabin that policy started 8/5/2005. George went overboard 7/5/2005.

###

I managed to read thru 4 pages of posts and decided that I had seen enough so I didn't complete all 7 pages. My only remark is this.....I normally bring plenty of clothes for a week. I could probably go 10 days with no problem. Much beyond that I would need some things washed. After taking almost a 4 week tour of a number of countries along with a cruise I learned to wash clothes at the end of the day (when necessary). Hang them up in the shower. On a lengthy cruise laundry would be necessary and I would send clothes out. My only complaint is that I miss not being able to use an iron. I had a small ironing board along with a travel iron that I used to take on all our cruises. It was a blessing!!!!! I certainly understand why they are not allowed but do miss it.

I managed to read thru 4 pages of posts and decided that I had seen enough so I didn't complete all 7 pages. My only remark is this.....I normally bring plenty of clothes for a week. I could probably go 10 days with no problem. Much beyond that I would need some things washed. After taking almost a 4 week tour of a number of countries along with a cruise I learned to wash clothes at the end of the day (when necessary). Hang them up in the shower. On a lengthy cruise laundry would be necessary and I would send clothes out. My only complaint is that I miss not being able to use an iron. I had a small ironing board along with a travel iron that I used to take on all our cruises. It was a blessing!!!!! I certainly understand why they are not allowed but do miss it.

Don't worry. Pages 5, 6 & 7 just duplicated the first four pages. :D

The thing to do is to take the worst pairs of your undies along wear and then throw them away!.

Really ??? You do realize that your room steward and the garbage patrol people have to sort through everything, right :eek: Good Gosh, I always wash my old undies before I throw them out...

###

Although the title of this post drew attention, I think it sparked good conversation.

If RCI does indeed read these posts, then nothing is more valuable than candid feedback.

I would think my opinion matters to them even if the RCI cheerleaders on this board tell me to take my business elsewhere. I'm glad they're not running the company !!

I often wonder that, if RCL DOES read here (which MANY say they do), how thrilled they must be, reading their prized clientele telling people to sail on the competition!

If they were employees, they'd be fired!

I see many suggesting to wash clothes by hand. Who goes on a cruise to wash clothes by hand? Is that the way to spend a vacation?:)

Let's see you soak and swish a few undies in the sink, rise, hang on line in tub, 10 minutes, can do it in my PJs at anytime. Going to the laundromat takes way more time than that.

I have managed to sail 10,12 and 15 day cruises and never had to do laundry. Opps....I lie, once we had jeans washed after a horseback riding excursion (stinky) and the cost was reasonable.

Buy extra undies and no issues.

Me, too. I've never done laundry on a cruise..no matter how long. I've been known to handwash a few undies in the sink but, beyond that, no way.

Even when my status with my favorite cruise line includes free laundry, I don't take advantage of it. I'm too busy doing other things - who wants to stop and mess with a bunch of dirty clothes.....not me....HA!

• 2 months later...
As I recall, Norwegian cruises have the same policy in regards of bringing wine on board.

this may have been listed in another post, I may not be able to read all 11 pages.

Just FYI - NCL has a corkate fee ($15 per 750 ML bottle.

Think outside the box people

the problems are...

1 ~ no self service laundry

2 ~ no bringing your own wine on board.

the solutions...

1 ~ bring grapes

2 ~ bring red clothes

3 ~ stomp the grapes with your clothes to wash and make wine at the same time

4 ~ triple the room stewards tip to cover the clean up of red stains.

I didn't read through all these pages of posts, but it seems everyone has an opinion! I also prefer to bring a bottle of wine (legally!) onboard and I like the self-service laundry facilities. Why? Because I like certain wines they may not offer and because my husband and I like to work out and make use of the great gyms on these ships. A weeks worth of stinky, sweaty workout clothes can make the room start to smell.... HOWEVER, (before you start throwing darts at me), that wouldn't stop me from taking a cruise if I liked the ship, the price and the itinerary. If they had no laundry service and no wine available onboard, now THAT would be a different story! :)

Archived