Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

[quote name='brett08']I'll put my two cents in. I am going on an RCCL cruise because friends of mine wanted that cruise. Later I found out they had no laundry facilities and you couldn't bring wine onboard the ship. I have been on Princess about 7 times and NCL 2. They both have laundry facilities and irons and ironing boards in those facilities. I like it because I can press my clothes myself and I feel better in freshly pressed clothes. On Princess I've always had a Penthouse Suite and NCL similar. Those suites get free laundry service with the room. With Princess, I can also bring onboard my wine. I usually cruise out of FLL, go to that wine store everyone goes to down there, pick up a 6 bottle carry on of wine and have a ball because it is wine I have selected and know. Some bottles I buy may go for $60 to $90 per, and I gladly pay the $15 corkage fee in the dining room. But, these are my selections. RCCL has a bad selection of wines, perhaps two or three have merit, but they charge over 200% of what one can pick them up for in a good wine store. Many people are very loyal to RCCL, so I'll give RCCL the benefit of the doubt and see what they're like. I will enjoy my vacation and not let these things irk me. I'm in a Owner's Suite, so at least I'll get free cocktail hours. I think I'll probably go back to Princess though.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I can't wait for the folks to get back from the Island Princess Canal cruise they are doing in October.

Ridiculous is what you call RCCL's wine selection. They have mainstream garbage on there and for some to suggest that is good enough is presumptuous at best. There are those of us who like to take what WE LIKE on board. Why is that so unreasonable. I always sneak it in under their nose anyway, but I should not have to. And some people may feel like doing laundry!

I find it funny how RCCL sticks it to these people and they keep on cheerleading for them.

On a more positive note - RCCL's ships are beautiful, staff is good, food is hit or miss depending on the ship.

[quote name='brett08']I'll put my two cents in. I am going on an RCCL cruise because friends of mine wanted that cruise. Later I found out they had no laundry facilities and you couldn't bring wine onboard the ship. I have been on Princess about 7 times and NCL 2.[/quote]

Well, I'm glad to see you've already decided you'll have a miserable RCI cruise. You know, there is a Princess and NCL board also. :rolleyes:

I hate that I can't bring on my Boone's Strawberry Hill! Rum runners work just fine, but really, they take away from the aroma and the sweet taste that my refined palate has come to love; I am VERY picky. And at 2 for $5, you can't beat it! :D:D

Princess, here I come!

[QUOTE]Those SIGNIFICANT fees the OP states are completely compatible with what we pay at home - and probably most people in larger urban areas. [/QUOTE]
We live in a very small urban area and the prices on RCI are more than competitive with where we live. I never have my tux pressed or cleaned at home, I wait until we cruise. Better prices and great service.
[QUOTE]RCCL has a bad selection of wines[/QUOTE]
Fortunately I'm a person that isn't a wine connossieur and I find their selection more than adequate for my plebian palate. As to price, I'm not lugging wine around in my checked luggage to save a few bucks, I'd rather use the space for more underwear.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Ridiculous is what you call RCCL's wine selection. They have mainstream garbage on there and for some to suggest that is good enough is presumptuous at best. There are those of us who like to take what WE LIKE on board[/QUOTE]

I want what I want when I want it. Geez. :rolleyes: Yes, their wine list is not as strong as Celebrity for example. It is what it is. If the wine quality is vastly important to you, no one is FORCING you to cruise this particular line. Find one that you prefer. As for the prices, their prices are in line with a restaurant - not a liquor store. That is the more valid comparison.

What is presumptuous is to imply that because someone's opinion differs from yours they are inferior. The vast majority of posters here find it silly that someone said they will not return to RCCL because of the lack of laundry facilities and the inability to bring their own wine. If that is the criteria for an outstanding cruise, please do the research that will lead you to booking the appropriate cruise line. RCCL is obviously not it.

Many of you have said that RCI and other cruise lines monitor these boards. if they do then here's my message to them....

Change your wine policy !!!

It's apparent that many people love RCI's service, ships, etc. I'm VERY much looking forward to my first cruise with them shortly.

However - PLEASE let me bring a couple of good wines of my choosing onboard.

I'm not bashing RCI - just hoping to promote a small change in policy.

[quote name='Andy C']Sue, she was venting and rightfully so. My whole household is Diamond and I cancelled a D1 on Liberty for July 18 and the folks are going Princess (they are Diamond +) in October for 10 days. We are tired of RCCL's nickel and dime and their changes to the CRAP AND ANCHOR Society. It is ridiculous that you can't bring your own wine - have you not noticed that the vast majority of wine they sell is sub-par? Perhaps you are not used to drinking what I drink - but I don't typically find Mondavi's of the world acceptable for my taste.

Has it also occured to you that this lady's desire for a laundry facility is PERFECTLY REASONABLE and maybe she does NOT feel like taking 7 pair of undies on the cruise.

Let her vent and stop defending RCCL's ridiculous policies.

Some people will actually find her points useful and chose another cruise based on their needs.

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns OP and don't pay attention to the flamers and RCCL cheerleaders.[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you have against me that you singled me out out of hundreds of posts but I still stand by my statements. No one is forcing ANYONE to sail any particular line.
If you don't want to sail RCCL , DON'T, no one is making you ,nor the OP. I don't drink wine so it really doesn't bother me and I will just pay for my drinks as it is part of our budget for the cruise. Sorry but I would rather sail a line that I enjoy with a staff that so far has been nothing but wonderful, on gorgeous ships and in our experience excellent food, then worrying about laundry. I don't have any issue at having my laundry done if I needed it , but for me very easy to bring the right amount of clothes or budget in any dry cleaning that might be needed. If you don't like their policies sail whomever floats your boat.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Sue L']Not quite sure what you have against me that you singled me out out of hundreds of posts but I still stand by my statements. No one is forcing ANYONE to sail any particular line.
If you don't want to sail RCCL , DON'T, no one is making you ,nor the OP. I don't drink wine so it really doesn't bother me and I will just pay for my drinks as it is part of our budget for the cruise. Sorry but I would rather sail a line that I enjoy with a staff that so far has been nothing but wonderful, on gorgeous ships and in our experience excellent food, then worrying about laundry. I don't have any issue at having my laundry done if I needed it , but for me very easy to bring the right amount of clothes or budget in any dry cleaning that might be needed. If you don't like their policies sail whomever floats your boat.:rolleyes:[/quote]
Was no one even the least suspicious of the fact that the OP chose two very "hot" topics that have been discussed ad nauseam, for his or her first posts, despite being registered with CC for over a year? I think we were roped into yet another pointless discussion by the OP.

[quote name='Andy C']Sue, she was venting and rightfully so. My whole household is Diamond and I cancelled a D1 on Liberty for July 18 and the folks are going Princess (they are Diamond +) in October for 10 days. We are tired of RCCL's nickel and dime and their changes to the CRAP AND ANCHOR Society. It is ridiculous that you can't bring your own wine - have you not noticed that the vast majority of wine they sell is sub-par? Perhaps you are not used to drinking what I drink - but I don't typically find Mondavi's of the world acceptable for my taste.

Has it also occured to you that this lady's desire for a laundry facility is PERFECTLY REASONABLE and maybe she does NOT feel like taking 7 pair of undies on the cruise.

Let her vent and stop defending RCCL's ridiculous policies.

Some people will actually find her points useful and chose another cruise based on their needs.

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns OP and don't pay attention to the flamers and RCCL cheerleaders.[/QUOTE]

The whole tone of your post seems very contradictory to me. Expectation of a certain level of service while complaining of a lack of self service venue???

I always have my suit and shirts laundered on the ship and have always found it to be very reasonable. If the cost of laundry is going to break the bank, then I think there are bigger underlying problems there.

[quote name='Captain Jake']You can also bring your old worn out underwear,wear then one last time and Toss
:cj[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that's what my DH does on long cruises. He buys a few packages of them at Walmart in some port along the way. He had a hard time tossing them on one cruise: the cabin steward kept getting them out of the garbage!!! Guess he got the point when we left. Not that I go around checking or wondering what our cabin stewards' underwear looks like, but I had to wonder when DH's boo-boo undies kept showing up like bad pennies!!! :D:D

Although the title of this post drew attention, I think it sparked good conversation.

What's wrong with RCI knowing many passengers would appreciate laundry facillities and the ability of a customer to bring onboard wine?

If RCI does indeed read these posts, then nothing is more valuable than candid feedback.

I'm a great example of a relatively young cruise client that is giving RCI their first shot at possible long term business.(in Jr or full suites I might add)

I would think my opinion matters to them even if the RCI cheerleaders on this board tell me to take my business elsewhere. I'm glad they're not running the company !!

[quote name='cruzincurt']Turning my stuff over to the ship's laundry, I would be concerned that my undies would get mixed up with someone else's. I don't want my boys where someone else's boys have been.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't know if they were yours or not? :D

[quote name='BecciBoo'][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/RynnyGG/Hyena-laughing.jpg[/IMG]
This has to be one of the best...:D[/quote]

You got that right.We enjoy lots of things about RCCL but needless to say they need to improve several things in several areas though I admit its a pretty good bang for the buck

[quote name='jbond']We live in a very small urban area and the prices on RCI are more than competitive with where we live. I never have my tux pressed or cleaned at home, I wait until we cruise. Better prices and great service.

Fortunately I'm a person that isn't a wine connossieur and I find their selection more than adequate for my plebian palate. As to price, I'm not lugging wine around in my checked luggage to save a few bucks, I'd rather use the space for more underwear.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Though some of their laundry service is a bit high I agree jacket/suits/tux are very reasonably priced as is the 20 buck laundry bag

[quote name='Scotto97']Although the title of this post drew attention, I think it sparked good conversation.

What's wrong with RCI knowing many passengers would appreciate laundry facillities and the ability of a customer to bring onboard wine?

If RCI does indeed read these posts, then nothing is more valuable than candid feedback.

I'm a great example of a relatively young cruise client that is giving RCI their first shot at possible long term business.(in Jr or full suites I might add)

I would think my opinion matters to them even if the RCI cheerleaders on this board tell me to take my business elsewhere. I'm glad they're not running the company !![/QUOTE]

I hope you do enjoy your RCI cruise and go back for many more. I think most people would like the wine policy changed--I for one would love to bring my own--but I also think that the thing about cruising is that there are many lines and you can find what works for you at each price point. Some people don't like the dress code issues on certain lines, some prefer the food on others, some would rather be able to do their own laundry. I think you find what matters to you most and you pick your cruise accordingly. I think RCI values all of our opinions, even those of us not lucky enough to be in suites.

[quote name='bluegirlum']I hope you do enjoy your RCI cruise and go back for many more. I think most people would like the wine policy changed--I for one would love to bring my own--but I also think that the thing about cruising is that there are many lines and you can find what works for you at each price point. Some people don't like the dress code issues on certain lines, some prefer the food on others, some would rather be able to do their own laundry. I think you find what matters to you most and you pick your cruise accordingly. I think RCI values all of our opinions, even those of us not lucky enough to be in suites.[/quote]

You are right.I have friends who love to sail and they like having the option to do laundry on board.My DW and I would rather not spend a couple hours doing laundry on the ship. I would enjoy bringing a bottle for the room but its against RCCL policy so I live with when I sail RCCL.While Celebrity and Carnival the other lines I have sailed certainly have things on RCCL,RCCL has things over those lines.I'm sure theres a line out there that deserves a mark of A Plus but I have not sailed it yet
:cj

I too don't like that you can't bring a bottle or two on board... they have a corkage fee don't they.... oh, that's for wine you buy on board or someone buys for you and you take to the dining room....

to me this makes no sense... so I will only sail them to Caribbean or Alaska but certainly not in the Med where I would be getting wine in Italy,Spain and France...:D

Just my 2 cents to this ramblin thread

CC

[quote name='wolfganghowell']I want what I want when I want it. Geez. :rolleyes: Yes, their wine list is not as strong as Celebrity for example. It is what it is. If the wine quality is vastly important to you, no one is FORCING you to cruise this particular line. Find one that you prefer.[COLOR=red][B] As for the prices, their prices are in line with a restaurant - not a liquor store. That is the more valid comparison. [/B][/COLOR]

What is presumptuous is to imply that because someone's opinion differs from yours they are inferior. The vast majority of posters here find it silly that someone said they will not return to RCCL because of the lack of laundry facilities and the inability to bring their own wine. If that is the criteria for an outstanding cruise, please do the research that will lead you to booking the appropriate cruise line. RCCL is obviously not it.[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more. Last week at a reputable and expensive restaurant here in Montreal, the Mondavi Merlot was going for the same price as onboard RCI at $36 CAD as opposed to the price at the liquor store at $15 CAD. I have sailed with Princess and I find that both lines have good to great wines. But tastes are subjective. I for one would rather have a sweet Asti Spumante than a Dom Perignon and the spumante costs far less then the champagne. The Amarrone Valpolicella goes for about $60 CAD at the liquor store and runs to over $150 CAD at most reputable restaurants here in Montreal but I don't like the wine. Does that make my opinion of wines inferior?

[quote name='HMSDingy']Couldn't agree with you more. Last week at a reputable and expensive restaurant here in Montreal, the Mondavi Merlot was going for the same price as onboard RCI at $36 CAD as opposed to the price at the liquor store at $15 CAD. I have sailed with Princess and I find that both lines have good to great wines. But tastes are subjective. I for one would rather have a sweet Asti Spumante than a Dom Perignon and the spumante costs far less then the champagne. The Amarrone Valpolicella goes for about $60 CAD at the liquor store and runs to over $150 CAD at most reputable restaurants here in Montreal but I don't like the wine. Does that make my opinion of wines inferior?[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Now here's the meatier discussion. RCCL has a broad wine list, but nothing tooo high brow. They can hardly get people to pay their prices for the lower quality stuff not to mention the higher quality stuff. However, wine, like food is so highly subjective, it is hardly worth debating. Every palette is different. I am no wine snob...right now we are on quest for 2004 vintages, which I am told is because of a wet year world wide. Expressly $13-$15 a bottle Chateau St. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot from the Columbia Valley in Washington state and Sebastiani Merlot same year. 2004 was a great year for any merlots in the states. Smoother than silk going down...but alas, RCCL did not include. That being said, we also like Oak Leaf Cab from Wal-Mart that is only $4 a bottle as well as RCCL house wine La Terre, a decent cab also. So from the afore mentioned somewhere in the $15 vacinity to the $4 Oak Leaf....there can be no snobbery if you really like wine. It's all good baby...whatever floats your boat:cool: or tickles your tongue. We have never found it worth the coin to purchase anything above $15 to $20 a bottle at home so why on the ship.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But to put others down because they don't consider $45 a bottle a good investment is just pure nastiness dude. Lighten up wine snobs:rolleyes: BTW, Mondavi wines are great!:D[/SIZE]

Archived