Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

I have a young child and I will say that having self service laundry available on a ship is a nice feature for families. Believe me I don't WANT to do laundry on my vacation!! My son still has "accidents" and come to think of it DH gets an awful lot of stains on every t-shirt he wears but fear not, I will manage: "over pack", bring laundry soap to hand wash in the bathroom sink, and send out items to be laundered if necessary. (Our cruise is only 6 days - do they do an all you can stuff inside laundry bag on the shorter sailings?)

We're going on our first RCCL cruise in Feb, and since I've had my son we've only sailed on Disney and Carnival (both of whom offer self-service laundry). That being said, laundry is not a deal breaker for me and I knew when I booked that there wouldn't be self service laundry on the IOS. But it is nice to have the ability to spend $6 and do my own load wash/dry if we're running too low on necessities so I do appreciate those lines that offer self service as an option to passengers.

My experience:

Carnival --no BYOW we had been touring & left wine bottle with security at pier, since it would have spoiled in FL heat in car. Almost forgot to pick it up. I don't think there was any self-service laundry--but it was a short cruise

Princess had self service laundry & free irons & boards which came in handy on long cruise. Don't remember BYOB policy.

Carnival allows passengers to bring wine onboard. And I think their ships have self-service laundries, but since I've only sailed on a couple of 3-nighters on Paradise I haven't paid attention.

Princess also allows wine and champagne to be brought onboard.:)

Maybe you should hire the attorney from the other thread. Then you could go after RCCL for having a "political agenda" to keep their passengers in dirty undies for the week. :D

BTW, what did happen to our new lawyer friend? I can't seem to find the thread today.

The thread was poufed and so was her screen name. She was a one shot wonder and never came back so I guess when they pouf her only post.........................

On the longer cruises we take now, I always inventory undies and sport socks with 5 days to go since it takes over a day to dry. If short I handwash in the sink and hang on the shower cord. As a man, even I know how to do that. ;)

Maybe you should hire the attorney from the other thread. Then you could go after RCCL for having a "political agenda" to keep their passengers in dirty undies for the week. :D

I always said there was a lot of crap in politics. ;)

A person could use those additional undies to wrap around the smuggled booze to cushion the bottles?:rolleyes: What luggage inspector would want to deal with bottles that have someone's undies wrapped around them?

That's basically how we do our iPod smuggling! (yes, we are allowed to buy iPods in the US and bring them home, however, you "have" to fill out a custom declaration form. And pay taxes. And then it's not cheaper anymore.

Wrap the box in dirty underwear, smuggle iPods!

Oh, and if you spend a lot of time onboard in swim suits, you need way less undies!!! 2 half days in swim suit => only 1 pair of undies needed to cover the other 2 half days ;)

[quote name='sandravb79']That's basically how we do our iPod smuggling! (yes, we are allowed to buy iPods in the US and bring them home, however, you "have" to fill out a custom declaration form. And pay taxes. And then it's not cheaper anymore.
Wrap the box in dirty underwear, smuggle iPods!

Oh, and if you spend a lot of time onboard in swim suits, you need way less undies!!! 2 half days in swim suit => only 1 pair of undies needed to cover the other 2 half days ;)[/quote]

I do get a chuckle when opening the suitcases AFTER a vacation and I see the little love note from TSA saying they have opened our bag and searched it when it is full of dirty laundry :eek:. Do feel sorry for them sometimes. Would hate that job.

[quote name='bluegirlum']I know! I have always found that those who are unhappy about something are much louder than those who are happy. It's just life. I think most on here try to find the positives in things and we're happy to be lucky enough to cruise. I think it takes a lot more energy and effort to be miserable than it does to be happy.[/quote]

Hi,

I feel the same way about the above quote. Well said.

Happy Sailing,

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

[quote name='crusinmama06']Maybe you should hire the attorney from the other thread. Then you could go after RCCL for having a "political agenda" to keep their passengers in dirty undies for the week. :D

BTW, what did happen to our new lawyer friend? I can't seem to find the thread today.[/quote]

Probably pulled.We have no way of knowing whether that was someone using that attorneys name as Cruise Critic does not verify the idenities someone uses.There was a report where someone used a the name of a major league baseball manager on Twitter and made an appalling comment.The poster in question in the CC thread may have been stealing an idenity since they were using a real name

Cost saving? I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

Taking any time away from enjoying my cruise to do my own laundry would be a bigger waste of my money. The money spent for my time on board is paid in full. I'm not getting any of it back. What I choose to do with that time is on me and I will happily let someone else relieve me of two hours worth of laundry.

I paid for my week on board to exploit every thing there is to offer and that definitely does not include separating the colors from the whites while everyone else is having a cocktail by the pool.

And for the record.... I wouldn't sit in a pubic laundromat at the beach waiting for someone else to get there whites out of the dryer either. ;)

Thank you to each and every one of you, I have truly enjoyed reading this entire thread and at one point, was laughing so much, I had tears in my eyes. I needed that good laugh, so again, I thank you all.

I always pack extra undies and socks and always put the dirty stuff on top of my luggage.. lol.. a special present for the TSA..

A little common sense goes a long way, doesn't it???

[quote name='Fury1995']Cost saving? I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

Taking any time away from enjoying my cruise to do my own laundry would be a bigger waste of my money. The money spent for my time on board is paid in full. I'm not getting any of it back. What I choose to do with that time is on me and I will happily let someone else relieve me of two hours worth of laundry.

I paid for my week on board to exploit every thing there is to offer and that definitely does not include separating the colors from the whites while everyone else is having a cocktail by the pool.

And for the record.... I wouldn't sit in a pubic laundromat at the beach waiting for someone else to get there whites out of the dryer either. ;)[/quote]

Well said - my thoughts exactly!!! I'm not on vacation to do anyone's laundry.

Those SIGNIFICANT fees the OP states are completely compatible with what we pay at home - and probably most people in larger urban areas. We use the service on every cruise and the prices and service are top notch. As for undies, that's what a sink, a clothesline and a travel bottle of Woolite are for.

As for the wine, as a shareholder if EVERY PASSENGER smuggled their booze on, the cruise lines would go broke. If you can afford a cruise, you should budget to buy their booze. To me, the nickel and diming argument goes both ways. You spend at LEAST a couple of thousand to cruise then complain about the cost of the alcohol - which again is pretty comparable to most restaurants/bars in larger metropolitan areas.

*and no, I really don't care if someone brings on a bottle or two but whining about the policy is ignorant. Don't like it - go to another line. Just that simple.

[quote name='akcruz']I do get a chuckle when opening the suitcases AFTER a vacation and I see the little love note from TSA saying they have opened our bag and searched it when it is full of dirty laundry :eek:. Do feel sorry for them sometimes. Would hate that job.[/quote]

They deserve it. If I could figure out some way of putting feces full clothing into my suitcase w/o contaminating everything, I would.

There is nothing that is bad enough for the TSA Gestapo goons.

DON

Sue, she was venting and rightfully so. My whole household is Diamond and I cancelled a D1 on Liberty for July 18 and the folks are going Princess (they are Diamond +) in October for 10 days. We are tired of RCCL's nickel and dime and their changes to the CRAP AND ANCHOR Society. It is ridiculous that you can't bring your own wine - have you not noticed that the vast majority of wine they sell is sub-par? Perhaps you are not used to drinking what I drink - but I don't typically find Mondavi's of the world acceptable for my taste.

Has it also occured to you that this lady's desire for a laundry facility is PERFECTLY REASONABLE and maybe she does NOT feel like taking 7 pair of undies on the cruise.

Let her vent and stop defending RCCL's ridiculous policies.

Some people will actually find her points useful and chose another cruise based on their needs.

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns OP and don't pay attention to the flamers and RCCL cheerleaders.

[quote name='Sue L']Bring enough undies for 7 days and no laundry and you can buy wine.

If you don't want to cruise RCL again just cancel, no penalties for doing so.

Curious, when in June were you on and how was the weather???

It amazes me what people consider important.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Andy C']Sue, she was venting and rightfully so. My whole household is Diamond and I cancelled a D1 on Liberty for July 18 and the folks are going Princess (they are Diamond +) in October for 10 days. We are tired of RCCL's nickel and dime and their changes to the CRAP AND ANCHOR Society. It is ridiculous that you can't bring your own wine - have you not noticed that the vast majority of wine they sell is sub-par? Perhaps you are not used to drinking what I drink - but I don't typically find Mondavi's of the world acceptable for my taste.

Has it also occured to you that this lady's desire for a laundry facility is PERFECTLY REASONABLE and maybe she does NOT feel like taking 7 pair of undies on the cruise.

Let her vent and stop defending RCCL's ridiculous policies.

Some people will actually find her points useful and chose another cruise based on their needs.

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns OP and don't pay attention to the flamers and RCCL cheerleaders.[/quote]

Why single out SueL? She stated what most everyone else stated - if they are unhappy with Royal - then cancel their reservation and go elsewhere. Why should they suffer another cruise without laundry service?

As far as the D+ changing - why? Their rewards haven't changed. Kind of foolish at that point to go from D+ to a nobody on Princess.

[quote name='donaldsc']They deserve it. If I could figure out some way of putting feces full clothing into my suitcase w/o contaminating everything, I would.

There is nothing that is bad enough for the TSA Gestapo goons.

DON[/quote]

I disagree - if someone should get the feces contaminated clothing it is the higher ups who come up with these ridiculous rules - not the working stiffs who have to carry them out.

I'll put my two cents in. I am going on an RCCL cruise because friends of mine wanted that cruise. Later I found out they had no laundry facilities and you couldn't bring wine onboard the ship. I have been on Princess about 7 times and NCL 2. They both have laundry facilities and irons and ironing boards in those facilities. I like it because I can press my clothes myself and I feel better in freshly pressed clothes. On Princess I've always had a Penthouse Suite and NCL similar. Those suites get free laundry service with the room. With Princess, I can also bring onboard my wine. I usually cruise out of FLL, go to that wine store everyone goes to down there, pick up a 6 bottle carry on of wine and have a ball because it is wine I have selected and know. Some bottles I buy may go for $60 to $90 per, and I gladly pay the $15 corkage fee in the dining room. But, these are my selections. RCCL has a bad selection of wines, perhaps two or three have merit, but they charge over 200% of what one can pick them up for in a good wine store. Many people are very loyal to RCCL, so I'll give RCCL the benefit of the doubt and see what they're like. I will enjoy my vacation and not let these things irk me. I'm in a Owner's Suite, so at least I'll get free cocktail hours. I think I'll probably go back to Princess though.

Archived