Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

Bring enough undies for 7 days and no laundry and you can buy wine.

If you don't want to cruise RCL again just cancel, no penalties for doing so.

Curious, when in June were you on and how was the weather???

It amazes me what people consider important.

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

If you're not due to sail until 2010, you can cancel now without penalty. If you check some of the other lines, some others are also strict when it comes to wine. Personally, laundry is the last thing I want to be doing on vacation.

Why take a 2nd cruise with RCCL if you were so unhappy with the 1st? You are way before the penalty phase..why not cancel & book with a line you prefer?

I noticed on your other post you actually have 2 more cruises booked with RCL... sounds like pure torture to me.......

I agree with the previous posters, if having a self serve laundry and the ability to bring your own wine are such deal breakers, cancel your booking for next year. Still plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

Personally the things you mention don't bother me, while things some of the other line do have an impact. Every cruise line is not for everyone. If everyone loved one line we would all be in trouble.

Does Royal Caribbean have the special for laundry where you stuff a bag full of unmentionables and they wash them for you for a flat fee?

I never do laundry on vacation so I simple don't understand the desire for laundry services. And I fly to port and never want to worry about wine breaking in my luggage.

Was there something else about your cruise that you didn't like. Those are two things that are far from deal breakers in my book.:confused:

Did you not discover these policies until you boarded the ship? They are both well publicized and have been the subject of discussion on these boards for years. If doing laundry on a cruise and bringing wines onboard are priorities for you and your family, you are totally justified in choosing to sail with another cruise line. You should be aware that some other lines have similar restrictions (NCL recently eliminated all its self-service laundries and Celebrity doesn't offer them either), so I recommend that you do some investigation to make sure that whatever alternative line you choose doesn't also have policies that will cause you difficulty. No one line is perfect for everyone and it appears that RCI is not right for you, though perhaps on reflection you will consider that perhaps some of the other things which RCI does offer (service, food, facilities etc.) outweigh its shortcomings.:)

Having only had minimal experience cruising in the last couple years, once on the Disney Magic (7 days), and once on RCI Mariner of the Seas.

I was very pleased with both services provided.

Disney of course is Awesome, and Mariner of the Seas was more than we expected. Oh don't get me wrong, My minor complaints were on RCI you have to buy a soda card, but, I lived. And RCI, can improve their deserts in the main dining room not that great, but, I found the deserts on the Promenade compensated.

YES, I will sail RCI again, they have to many things I love. Over-all food quality, cleanliness, entertainment.

I guess as I get more experinced in cruising, I will find other benefits to this new found hobby.

Sorry that two "minor" things turned you off RCI.

Later

I love it when I am on vacation......I am able to stuff all the dirty clothes into a little bag and the laundry fairies take it away and then it's like "poof" it comes back nice and cleaned and pressed!!!! I actually pay the $25 dollars to fill the bag - cram as much into it as possible and pack it away to take home. Less laundry to do on my return - and I HATE laundry! The last thing I want to do on vacation is do laundry and make my bed!

Does Royal Caribbean have the special for laundry where you stuff a bag full of unmentionables and they wash them for you for a flat fee?

I never do laundry on vacation so I simple don't understand the desire for laundry services. And I fly to port and never want to worry about wine breaking in my luggage.

Was there something else about your cruise that you didn't like. Those are two things that are far from deal breakers in my book.:confused:

We had it on the AOS - $25 for the bag - and I believe it was on the Wednesday of the cruise that began on Sunday and clothes were returned the following morning

Bring enough undies for 7 days and no laundry and you can buy wine.

If you don't want to cruise RCL again just cancel, no penalties for doing so.

Curious, when in June were you on and how was the weather???

It amazes me what people consider important.

"Bring enough undies or cancel your reservation"? You done missed the point! My travel agent would be long gone on those comments!

I agree with the previous posters, if having a self serve laundry and the ability to bring your own wine are such deal breakers, cancel your booking for next year. Still plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

Personally the things you mention don't bother me, while things some of the other line do have an impact. Every cruise line is not for everyone. If everyone loved one line we would all be in trouble.

Amen to that. And guess what washing your undies in the sink is easier than dragging them someplace else to be done. That is why there is a clothesline in the shower. Take the sample size detergent packets with you.

The VERY SIGNIFICANT fee you mention- would that be the $1.20 they charge for picking up, laundering and returning to your cabin one pair of underwear? I think that's a bargain.

Hint- you are only onboard for 7 days, it's easy to pack enough undies...

"Bring enough undies or cancel your reservation"? You done missed the point! My travel agent would be long gone on those comments!

Well I never said bring enough undies or cancel, you totally misquoted my statements. I said bring more undies then you don't have to do laundry and if you dont want to keep you bookings you are under no obligation to do so.

You sounded like you regretted having future bookings but no one is MAKING you keep those bookings so cancel them if you don't want to go. If you don't want to have to do laundry then buy extra stuff. What is the problem with my statement?

Your TA should have told you that RCCL doesn't have any self service laundries and that no wine could be brought, these are BOTH very well documented on the website.

Did you not discover these policies until you boarded the ship? They are both well publicized and have been the subject of discussion on these boards for years. If doing laundry on a cruise and bringing wines onboard are priorities for you and your family, you are totally justified in choosing to sail with another cruise line. You should be aware that some other lines have similar restrictions (NCL recently eliminated all its self-service laundries and Celebrity doesn't offer them either), so I recommend that you do some investigation to make sure that whatever alternative line you choose doesn't also have policies that will cause you difficulty. No one line is perfect for everyone and it appears that RCI is not right for you, though perhaps on reflection you will consider that perhaps some of the other things which RCI does offer (service, food, facilities etc.) outweigh its shortcomings.:)

Thank you! The only rational response received. We're out of this Cruise Critic forum for now. Bunch of folks that have more fun demeaning others than discussing facts of life and facts of cruises.

I am kind of curious as to what politics have to do with laundry and not allowing wine to be brought onboard:confused:

Thank you! The only rational response received. We're out of this Cruise Critic forum for now. Bunch of folks that have more fun demeaning others than discussing facts of life and facts of cruises.

In defense of Sue, she is one of the most respectful posters here.

I have to agree with the other responses, you should of done your homework before choosing Royal. There are volumes of great information to be found here at CC and I for one am greatful for all that I've learned.:D

flounce

Archived