Probably our Last Royal Caribbean Cruise - Laundry & Wine

I'm always amazed how people are able to cruise (or vacation in general) but don't even own 7 pairs of undies or enough t shirts to cover the week.

Heck, I can even fit 3 weeks worth of clothes in my suitcase!

Also, I haven't spent that much time on the RCCL boards yet, but I'm also amazed at the whine-threads that get started by low-post count posters. As if they can not find these boards to do their research, but when there is something to whine about, they find them.

I think it's really a contest between the RCCL and HAL boards for complainers. Don't seem to see as much on Princess, Celbrity, or Carnival.

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

We have sailed Princess and do like the self service laundry, especially on long cruises of 10+ days. Are there any other cruise lines offering self service laundries?

Having said the above, we will for sure sail Princess again, but also have to stress that, at least for us, there are other positives that out weigh that amenity. We like RCL's product, and especially Celebrity's and both do not offer self service laundry.

For ex. we are on Celebrity for a 15 day cruise this coming January. Took Princess on similar cruise in 2008. I hope you look at itinerary and other positive features vs just self service laundry. Assuming it cost you another $100, that would be a shame to rule out most other cruises due to lack of self service laundry.

Anyway, which ever cruise you take, have a great one! :)

Our first Royal Caribbean (RC) cruise was the Mexican Riviera with or son and DIL in June 2009. The cabin & food service was good. However, we discovered that RC does not provide laundry facilities for guests. If you want your "undies" washed, they'll be glad to accommodate you for a VERY SIGNIFICANT fee. Not so with some other cruise lines, such as Princess. The same goes for trying to bring on your own wine for consumption during the cruise. RC will not allow you to do so. Other cruise lines will. These are obviously "profit centers", which we do not hold against RC. Nevertheless, we are a"cost-saving center" family that chooses to avoid those conditions. We naively made reservations for a second cruise on RC for a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 before taking our first RC cruise in June 2009. It will be our last RC cruise due to their established policies that go beyond reasonableness for the sake of either profit or political agendas.

Just curious...when in June 2009 did you go to Mexican Riviera? We were scheduled for that cruise but we were diverted to PTW....

Just curious...when in June 2009 did you go to Mexican Riviera? We were scheduled for that cruise but we were diverted to PTW....

The OP isn't telling...they've been asked that at least 2 times...:rolleyes:...but it seems they were successful in their "pot stirring" agenda....

Between this issue and the law student form Baltimore who will never sail with RC because her plane was late and they didn't bring passports, it just makes me laugh. If either party had taken 5 minutes to research either on CC or the RC we site, they would have had their questions answer.

Me, after speding an hour on on CC after booking our first cruise, I learned that you don't take an iron, always take your passports, whenever possible, fly in a day ahead of time. Also, my mother always told me to always have clean underwear, so I bring an extra set of a delay in our travel plans.

Between this issue and the law student form Baltimore who will never sail with RC because her plane was late and they didn't bring passports, it just makes me laugh. If either party had taken 5 minutes to research either on CC or the RC we site, they would have had their questions answer.

Me, after speding an hour on on CC after booking our first cruise, I learned that you don't take an iron, always take your passports, whenever possible, fly in a day ahead of time. Also, my mother always told me to always have clean underwear, so I bring an extra set of a delay in our travel plans.

Don't agree withyour Ma-in-Law Joe on the last item.

Goin commandocan be quite liberating;):D

Maybe the OP is a XXXXXXL.

That's what I was thinking! I'm no skinny minnie, but when it comes to packing, underwear takes up the least room, and I always bring twice as much as I need. Maybe switch to thongs? :eek:

Seriously, though, I think most people are in agreement that the issue is that these policies are pretty evident if you take the time read up on your cruise ahead of time. It's unfortunate that these issues took away from the enjoyment of your cruise, and perhaps it will be best to try another line that will fit your needs.

. It's unfortunate that these issues took away from the enjoyment of your cruise, and perhaps it will be best to try another line that will fit your needs.

Do you think so bluegirlum?

I think that if the OP would not have had the laudry and the wine to moan about he would have found something else.

There are people who thrive on moaning and aren't happy unless they havesomething to complain about.

For the most of us we work incredibly hard to earn enough money to pay for our holiday and the last thing we want or need is a moaning old git spoiling our holiday.

You can bet your life the OP let all and sundry know on his cruise his displeasure.

Do you think so bluegirlum?

I think that if the OP would not have had the laudry and the wine to moan about he would have found something else.

There are people who thrive on moaning and aren't happy unless they havesomething to complain about.

For the most of us we work incredibly hard to earn enough money to pay for our holiday and the last thing we want or need is a moaning old git spoiling our holiday.

You can bet your life the OP let all and sundry know on his cruise his displeasure.

I know! I have always found that those who are unhappy about something are much louder than those who are happy. It's just life. I think most on here try to find the positives in things and we're happy to be lucky enough to cruise. I think it takes a lot more energy and effort to be miserable than it does to be happy.

I know! I have always found that those who are unhappy about something are much louder than those who are happy. It's just life. I think most on here try to find the positives in things and we're happy to be lucky enough to cruise. I think it takes a lot more energy and effort to be miserable than it does to be happy.

Couldn't agree with you more, some people thrive on being miserable. Why waste so much energy on the negative when there are so many fun things to do on a cruise!

I will never understand doing laundry on a vacation. I have traveled my entire life and have always brought enough underwear or outfits for that matter, for however many days I'm gone.

But I feel the same about cell phone and laptops. Yaking on a phone or sitting behind a computer doesn't seem like much of a vacation, so doing laundry falls into the same category for me. Yeuch. :D

My experience:

Carnival --no BYOW we had been touring & left wine bottle with security at pier, since it would have spoiled in FL heat in car. Almost forgot to pick it up. I don't think there was any self-service laundry--but it was a short cruise

Princess had self service laundry & free irons & boards which came in handy on long cruise. Don't remember BYOB policy.

I will never understand doing laundry on a vacation. I have traveled my entire life and have always brought enough underwear or outfits for that matter, for however many days I'm gone.

But I feel the same about cell phone and laptops. Yaking on a phone or sitting behind a computer doesn't seem like much of a vacation, so doing laundry falls into the same category for me. Yeuch. :D

Totally agree! I can do laundry and surf the net at home. When I am on vacation, I want to do something fun......laundry is definitely not on my fun list.

Maybe you should hire the attorney from the other thread. Then you could go after RCCL for having a "political agenda" to keep their passengers in dirty undies for the week. :D

BTW, what did happen to our new lawyer friend? I can't seem to find the thread today.

I think it was pulled because of my swimming comments. :D

Archived