Princess Tux pricing

chisoxfan

I know that I will probably be accused of being a 'cheap skate ' but while I was looking at tux rentals I was surprised to find that for identical rental of classic tux Costa was 75, Disney and Hal were 85 and Princess was 92- black and white was 95. Also shoes were 3-5 dollars more. Princess is no doubt extracting this extra charge from the supplier. While I agree that it is not much money in the overall cruise cost, I am a bit perturbed by the concept of kicking in extra dollars in this fashion. I would think Princess would want to promote passengers wearing formal wear. Might rethink the tux exercise.

I know that I will probably be accused of being a 'cheap skate ' but while I was looking at tux rentals I was surprised to find that for identical rental of classic tux Costa was 75, Disney and Hal were 85 and Princess was 92- black and white was 95. Also shoes were 3-5 dollars more. Princess is no doubt extracting this extra charge from the supplier. While I agree that it is not much money in the overall cruise cost, I am a bit perturbed by the concept of kicking in extra dollars in this fashion. I would think Princess would want to promote passengers wearing formal wear. Might rethink the tux exercise.

Great money maker for Princess and that's what it's all about. Rent the overpriced tux and then purchase the beautiful overpriced photo of you wearing your tux. Cha ching $150. BYOT (Bring your own tux)

Great money maker for Princess and that's what it's all about. Rent the overpriced tux and then purchase the beautiful overpriced photo of you wearing your tux. Cha ching $150. BYOT (Bring your own tux)

Yeah, I hate getting nickel and dimed when it is so flagrant. They should have at least made something seem different about the rental so you could tell yourself you weren't getting ripped off.

I thought the tux Princess offered was a bargain compared to what I had to pay for my son's prom tux :eek: x two because his girlfriend goes to a different school!

I just looked on all three sites and found that they all use the same company and their pricing is the same. Maybe I'm not seeing what you are. :confused:Where are you seeing this difference?

If you go to Princess Formal Wear Site- men's apparel then look under different lines and compare you will see the same product selection at different prices. (I was looking at basic tux package and shoes which is what I was interested in) I just checked again- the Costa cruise selection shows a basic tux or a white dinner jacket for 75 plus ten for shoes 85 bucks.The same item(s) under Princess is 93 or 95 plus 15 for shoes. So for a Princess white jacket combo 110 bucks for Costa 85. I am not commenting on the 'value' or convenience of the rental-just wondering why Princess should charge more than any other line for the same thing.

If you go to Princess Formal Wear Site- men's apparel then look under different lines and compare you will see the same product selection at different prices. (I was looking at basic tux package and shoes which is what I was interested in) I just checked again- the Costa cruise selection shows a basic tux or a white dinner jacket for 75 plus ten for shoes 85 bucks.The same item(s) under Princess is 93 or 95 plus 15 for shoes. So for a Princess white jacket combo 110 bucks for Costa 85. I am not commenting on the 'value' or convenience of the rental-just wondering why Princess should charge more than any other line for the same thing.

Thanks. I see it now.

So if you don't like the cost of rentals, buy your own. If you don't wear tuxes often, then rentals are, regardless of rental cost, a better deal. You can always spend more money for a different cruise line and then the $10 or $15 bucks don't mean a thing!

You can always find anything cheaper.

It is convenient. I don't havce to pack it and the airlines can't count it as luggage weight. I also get one for my son and figure it's cheaper or the same as buying him a suit that he will outgrow before he could wear it again.

And don't forget to deduct the $70 in baggage fees you save by being able to leave the garment bag at home...

Cost of the pix are the same whether your rent or not.

For everyone its a choice. I carry my own shoes and rent the tux. So that's $10 savings.

But for me, the dressing up is for the ladies. If my S.O. wants to do it, Its worth the extra money..

And don't forget to deduct the $70 in baggage fees you save by being able to leave the garment bag at home...

Cost of the pix are the same whether your rent or not.

For everyone its a choice. I carry my own shoes and rent the tux. So that's $10 savings.

But for me, the dressing up is for the ladies. If my S.O. wants to do it, Its worth the extra money..

I agree; the convenience is worth the price, and saving luggage room is very much worth the cost. He's always had a great fit and the quality is good.

I don't see my DH in a tux that often, and I love that he rents one when we cruise.

One thing that has always surprised me is that the rental charge does not seem to change based upon the length of the cruise. Renting a tux for a fifteen day cruise is the same as renting one for a seven day cruise.

I'm wondering if the tux rental company basis their rates on the average length of all cruises by a cruise line. Princess does seem to have more cruises of 10 or more days than some of the other cruise lines. Could this result in higher rental fees?

You can get a beautiful tux or dinner jacket on ebay for less than one rental.

You can get a beautiful tux or dinner jacket on ebay for less than one rental.

And then you have to pack the tux, all the accessories, and shoes. We rent for the convenience and saving luggage space for things we'll use more than 2 or 3 times. Plus it's pressed and ready to wear when you arrive. It's waiting in your cabin, and after the last formal night your steward takes it away. No muss, no fuss.

The idea of buying formal wear is okay for guys who are going to use it again. However, there are men who do not wear and do not own a suit, have not worn a dinner jacket in many years. So for them, renting is a great idea! (Especially if their spouse has been begging them for 5 years to dress up!);) Okay??:D

So if you don't like the cost of rentals, buy your own. If you don't wear tuxes often, then rentals are, regardless of rental cost, a better deal. You can always spend more money for a different cruise line and then the $10 or $15 bucks don't mean a thing!

You can always find anything cheaper.

Gee, sorry that I brought it up. I was just questioning why HAL, Disney, and Costa have a lower price for the same rental from the same rental wear company. Not sure how that equates with being worth the extra not to cruise Costa or a discussion about the pros and cons of rentals. I actually have my own tux and was looking at the rental as an option because of the convenience as pointed out. I wasn't trying to save money. I could maybe understand if the pricing was consistent with the quality (price) of the line but it is hard to argue that HAL or Disney are inferior to Princess. I agree that you can always find anything cheaper but in this case I am talking about the same thing.

Again, not a big deal just rubbed me wrong way.

Gee, sorry that I brought it up. I was just questioning why HAL, Disney, and Costa have a lower price for the same rental from the same rental wear company. Not sure how that equates with being worth the extra not to cruise Costa or a discussion about the pros and cons of rentals. I actually have my own tux and was looking at the rental as an option because of the convenience as pointed out. I wasn't trying to save money. I could maybe understand if the pricing was consistent with the quality (price) of the line but it is hard to argue that HAL or Disney are inferior to Princess. I agree that you can always find anything cheaper but in this case I am talking about the same thing.

Again, not a big deal just rubbed me wrong way.

Also sorry, guess I didn't understand your first post.

Archived