taxes and fees: wow!

jp45atcc

Three family members will be sailing on Brilliance of the Seas in October. Taxes and fees for EACH of us are $395. When I asked about this at Royal Caribbean, there was a soft response: Taxes are the same for everyone; it's the fees that get you. Is there a way to get a detailed list of specific fees and to find out if every single passenger is paying exactly those? Is this truly for taxes and fees charged by the ports? That's a chunk of money, but if that's the way it is for everyone, that's the way it is. We'll still enjoy the trip immensely!

I think it could be based on the several things:

1. Type of cabin (suites cost more, perhaps fees are based on cabin-type)
  2. Itinerary (European/Alaskan cruises are more costly than most Caribbean cruises)
  3. Length of cruise (longer cruises generally have more taxes/fees)
  4. number of ports involved (some port fees are more costly than others)
  5. Number of pax in each cabin (if only one pax in each cabin, the single supplement is usually listed as a fee)

While $395 does seem steep, I'm sure there is an explanation for it.

Different agents list things differently on the receipts. I have had them break down each component separately and I've had them lump the fare and fees together and list the port charges separately. I checked some old receipts and did have a couple of 10 day cruises with over $300 in fees listed. It just depends on how they break it down. As long as your total fare is what was quoted, that's all that matters. There are certain itineraries that will be more (like Panama Canal).

There are certain itineraries that will be more (like Panama Canal).

This is true...we were in Panama in 05...were told that the Coral Princess had just passed thru (full transit) the canal....paid in excess of $250,000. in fees to do so.

State of Alaska is charging $50. pp in addition to the individual port fees assessed.

Itemized fees would be good tho...just to see if your TA is enhancing his commission in this lump sum. (trust but verify)

Happen to have an invoice in front of me so I checked it.

We are doing a 13 night Caribbean on the QM2 in November in a balcony and the gov't taxes and fees are only listed at $51.77 (Canadian) each.

I had never checked that before, wow, what a difference for sure!

Happen to have an invoice in front of me so I checked it.

We are doing a 13 night Caribbean on the QM2 in November in a balcony and the gov't taxes and fees are only listed at $51.77 (Canadian) each.

I had never checked that before, wow, what a difference for sure!

Just checked my cruise ticket for a 12 night Transatlantic leaving Setember 2nd and the taxes and fees are 102 Canadian dollars each.

Makes yours seem high for sure. I would ask for a breakdown.

Three family members will be sailing on Brilliance of the Seas in October. Taxes and fees for EACH of us are $395.

$395 per person is steep. How long is the cruise and how many ports are there? I do not believe my fees have ever topped $200 per person, even on my Med. cruise. Usually it's around $115 or so on a 7 nighter.

From my invoice for 9/9/09 Nautica Istanbul to Athens trip:

$1,322.00 Port tax/fees plus $661.00 US tax on cruise.

Add $98 Turkish Visa fee (found out too late could get it for $40 myself)

Add $345.60 taxes and surcharges on flight. Also hotel taxes, taxi fees, restaurant tax. Nothing optional and tourist gets NO vote.

I think they now do fairly well at listing all the costs seperately because they want you to think that THEIR part is not so bad it is that pesky government! AND yes our area (District of Columbia) has more ways to tax those who are visiting than you can shake a stick at. Read your car rental agreement and govt./airport get more than Avis almost.

I also think it depends on whether you are booked with the cruiseline or thru a TA. My TA's taxes are fees are ALWAYS substantially higher than what the cruiseline's website states, but the base fare is significantly lower. I'm not sure why it's broken down this way but the bottom line is that our TA is generally lower overall. A few examples are:

• 12-nt Med cruise - $251.31 w/TA vs. $98.69 on NCL
  • 7-nt Mex. Riviera cruise - $209.08 w/TA vs. $69.36 on NCL
  • 7-nt Alaskan cruise - $335.21 w/TA vs. $97.37 on Princess

Again, not sure why RCI is charging so much unless it is indeed thru a TA. I did check various cabin types to see if that made a difference and it did not appear to. I would check the RCI website ad compare it to some of the online TA's that allow you to do a mock booking so that you can see if the $395 adds up. If the bottom line is still reasonable, I wouldn't worry too much.

TA's often list the port fees in with the taxes, as they are both non-comissionable items. TA's are only paid commision on the base fare.

However, cruiselines are only allowed to advertise prices WITH the port fees included; so their advertised fare is the base fare plus the port fees.

TA invoice:

Base fare A

Port and Taxes B +C

Airfare D

Insurance E

TOTAL A+B+C+D+E

Cruiseline:

Fare A+B

Taxes C

Airfare D

Insurance E

TOTAL A+B+C+D+E

I also noticed that the taxes and fees are substantially higher this year (over $300) when I booked with a TA vs $150 last year when I booked through Princess for the exact same cruise... HOWEVER, the total is cheaper this year through the TA.. so I am not concerned about it at all..

Just checked my cruise ticket for a 12 night Transatlantic leaving Setember 2nd and the taxes and fees are 102 Canadian dollars each.

Makes yours seem high for sure. I would ask for a breakdown.

The difference is this: On a transatlantic voyage, there aren't any ports except departing and arriving. Hence, lower port fees and taxes.

The difference is this: On a transatlantic voyage' date=' there aren't any ports except departing and arriving. Hence, lower port fees and taxes.[/quote']

Most transatlantics do stop at a few ports, the exception being a few crossings of the Queen Mary that go direct from NY to Southampton.

Archived