Say Cheese!! (CLICK! CLICK!)

scomar

Does HAL take photos like on Carnival? Especially on formal nights, I liked all the stations with different backdrops like Carnival cruises do.

Don't forget to say cheese when you answer:D

Thanks

Scomar

Yes, they do formal portraits. Seems to pretty much clog up the Atrium area and traffic flow there.

The ship photogs also try for way too many shots at dinner, at port disembark, etc.

Most are mediocre at best ... and way overpriced.

We've reached the point of telling them: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Maybe I'm jaded, but I also don't feel that the contract photogs are really all that good.

I recognize the above is pretty negative, but they're my feelings about the whole hoopla.

If you have a good camera, you can likely do much better at a significantly lower cost.

Just my CHEESEY opinion ... click click click.

Yes, they do take pictures...as you get on, again as you get off at each port. And at formal nights, etc. etc.

We had a good laugh at some of ours, thinking to ourselves "who ARE those people?":eek:

Some of the photographers weren't very good.

We bought just 2 pics, so our mothers would be happy to receive them as presents as we haven't had a formal picture taken of us in many many years.

But, as mentioned, they are VERY overpriced.

Say cheeeese....:D

When I was on Carnival I saw this guy taking pictures with his own camera of the pictures that Carnival had taken of him. I almost took a picture of him taking a picture of a picture of him, just because well it was a great Kodak moment:)

I don't they are as pushy on Holland as they are on Carnival. One person put on a post a few years ago that the photogrophers were like head lice. They were always getting in the hair. I find they are most respectful of your wishes.

The original company that HAL used -- the photograghers were very pushy.

The new seem to understand the work "no".

They also take pictures while you are eating in the dining room on formal nights.

We have also noticed that the photographers will set up on some smart casual nights on some ships.

Prices for pictures -- HIGH.

We do our best to avoid the photographers whenever possible, and I also get annoyed when they clog up the atrium with all their equipment, and folks standing in line for photos. Given the size of the ship, you'd think there'd be a less congested place to set up shop!

The one time we DID want a photo -- we were with a group and there was a group shot made -- when we went to the desk to buy it, the guy running the shop didn't have any idea what we were talking about, or where to find it..so we ended up not getting one.

They're way overpriced for the end result.

We don't bother with the formal photos any more. Our last couple of cruises we have just asked a fellow passenger to take a couple of photos of us in the atrium, with our own camera, in our formal gear. This has worked out well for us - in fact the last few we had taken we thought were better than the professionals had taken in the past.

I don't care if the photographers take photos or not. That is up to them. We are extremely unlikely to buy any of them and if they want to waste their time taking our photos why should I care. We have drawers full of all these photos at home and certainly don't need any more.

Actually, I find the photographers very funny. They always say, "Miss, miss, you want your picture taken?" Then they suggest all these crazy poses, like your arms crossed as you are reclining on the floor in your formal gown! They make me feel like Miss America. It really does make me laugh out loud.:)

When I was on Carnival I saw this guy taking pictures with his own camera of the pictures that Carnival had taken of him. I almost took a picture of him taking a picture of a picture of him, just because well it was a great Kodak moment:)

I took the photo for you

yeager3.jpg

Sometimes it's kind of fun to look at the walls of photos, just to see people you know. But no, we don't buy the photos unless there's a really great one (and that doesn't happen often!!)

I don't like how they congest the atrium area either, and we try hard to avoid that area.

On my last 3 Oosterdam trips with my daughter they had a studio room on formal night that had props and better backgrounds than normal cruise stuff. Some came out, some not. No sitting charge like on land. Best day to buy is the last day as your getting off the ship.

On my last 3 Oosterdam trips with my daughter they had a studio room on formal night that had props and better backgrounds than normal cruise stuff. Some came out, some not. No sitting charge like on land. Best day to buy is the last day as your getting off the ship.

Why is that the best day to buy a pic??

I guess I'm in the minority, but I LOVE to have my photo taken, especially on a ship with DH. I was disappointed that the photographers seemed to have taken photos of everyone on the Rotterdam except us when we visited the Great Pyramid. Yes, the prices are getting very steep, so we didn't buy every photo on our last cruise. On our first cruise I think we bought every single one. It's easy to be photogenic when you're having the time of your life.

Mrs Muir,

I agree with you. My husband and I are both photographers. But I like to have photos of the both of us without having to impose on people all the time. Also, we don't have a strong flash on our cameras. And many of the photos don't turn out as nice as I would like them (even after I have corrected them or changed the settings for the lightening). We don't buy all the pictures. But we have purchased quite a few on each of our trips so I quess, we are in the minority with you.

Why is that the best day to buy a pic??

You'll be on a long cruise, and probably won't want to purchase every single picture. So, in order to get the best of the best, look at your pictures as they are put out, then keep them all together.

Ask the manager to keep them in a folder, or in a specific place. Then, on the last day, go through all of them, and select the ones you want to purchase.

Yes they do have the photographers who take your photos.

One thing that I liked on my last cruise that you had the option of taking the embarkation photo. Also the photographers last year wasn't really pushy. If you told them no, that was it.

Now on my 2007 Maasdam sailing, the photographers were some of the most pushy people!! We were at dinner and even if you told them no thanks, they still wanted to take photos.

I only purchased pictures off of my very first cruise. Once in a while I will buy a photo. But I will admit that I'm not a photogenic person and when I come across a nice photo, I will buy it.

They are often set up near the dining room and bars.

I also found them to be most helpful on board. I was having some problems with my camera and went by the photo area hoping that they could help me. The guy help me and gave me some great tips.

Happy sailing!!

----------------

Now playing: Marcus Miller - Behind The Smile

via FoxyTunes

You'll be on a long cruise, and probably won't want to purchase every single picture. So, in order to get the best of the best, look at your pictures as they are put out, then keep them all together.

Ask the manager to keep them in a folder, or in a specific place. Then, on the last day, go through all of them, and select the ones you want to purchase.

Ruth....I am looking at the packages that are offered 'pre-cruise'. One is a package of and 10 (10X7) sheets containing 2 photographs each. Do you know if these are 2 DIFFERENT photos on each sheet or if they are duplicates? The package is $99 if ordered ahead.♠

Actually, I find the photographers very funny.

Due to the genes I inherited from my parents (and a box of Clairol!), I look younger than I am. Almost every photographer has tried to put my (adult) son and me in "husband-wife" poses (eg, him standing behind me, leaning in, with his arms around my waist). We, of course, look at them like they've lost their minds -- it still catches me by surprise -- and cracks us up.

Thanks for all the replays and suggestions. So what I have gather so far is to have a lot of money for pictures or bring a tripod or ask someone to take our picture and hopefully they will tell us to say "CHEESE!!!" before they take the picture. :D

THANKS!! CC Peeps

Ruth....I am looking at the packages that are offered 'pre-cruise'. One is a package of and 10 (10X7) sheets containing 2 photographs each. Do you know if these are 2 DIFFERENT photos on each sheet or if they are duplicates? The package is $99 if ordered ahead.♠

I can only guess---and that guess is that it's the same pose.

On the Noordam I had several formal photos done. Each sheet contained one 8x10, one 5x7 (I think that was the size), and two wallet size. All were the same pose.

I asked about purchasing only one of the sizes, but they didn't sell them that way. I ended up buying several more photos than I wanted, just to get the one size I did want. :rolleyes:

Archived