What are the "must buy" items in Kusadasi and Istanbul

Turkey produces beautiful ceramics and pottery. They are also known for leather goods. Gold jewelry is more reasonably priced than in some other Med ports, but I would exercise caution in buying expensive jewelry as there have been some scams reported.

Cheaper items include apple tea (didn't do much for me but many love it), Turkish delight, inexpensive shawls/scarves, and costume jewelry (including evil eye bracelets).

Other than rugs?

Rugs :eek: Unless you plan to spend 1/2 day selecting and negotiating and upwards of 5 figure sum I can't see wanting to bring a rug home. If you do make sure you go to a very reputable stores.

Others might say leather, if you are into high end well tailored leather they do have deals, but you are talking above 300 bucks, again not really worth it unless you get the really high quality stuff.

In reflection the only thing we wished we brought more of was the fresh Turkish delights, not the prepackage ones but the ones that they box for you fresh. ymmmm :D

Rugs :eek: Unless you plan to spend 1/2 day selecting and negotiating and upwards of 5 figure sum I can't see wanting to bring a rug home. If you do make sure you go to a very reputable stores.

My DW bought a rug in Kusadasi and it was a lot of fun, and definitely not 5 figures ...

The tour of the carpet factory is very interesting in any case, whether or not you plan to buy. We saw how the silk is unwound from the cocoons, the weaving in process, the training of the weavers, and an collection of antique items. Then we sat down in the showroom as they began tossing hundreds of carpets out for us. My DW finally narrowed it down and then began the bargaining!! (In Morocco one dealer called her a "Berber woman" because they are renowned for their cheapness ... uh, I mean bargaining skill!) She had a lot of fun bargaining and finally wound with a wool living room size rug in the upper 3 figure price range. The whole process took about 3 hours. The rug was shipped to us and arrived in about six weeks in good condition.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hmmmm we bought -

Istanbul -

Pashminas in the Grand Bazaar. 3 cheaper ones and 1 not-so-cheap one for mil. Gorgeous thing !

Silver earrings for dd and sons girlfriend. Adorable dangly filigree ones.

Pillow cover (slip on w/zipper) hand embroidered

(I thought G. Bazaar prices were really high)

Kusadasi - actually did our shopping in Sirince village.

gorgeous silver bracelet with small sapphire, ruby, tourmaline etc. stones from jeweler who did all the design and manufacturing of jewelry/headpieces etc. for the movie Troy (with Brad Pitt) great prices.

beautiful hand embroidered tablecloth and napkins for sil.....

wine

turkish delight (yuk - didnt care for it)

apple tea

There are some incredibly beautiful ceramics as posted already. Also gorgeous glass lamps (think Aladdin style) and of course rugs.....didnt want to hassle with shipping tho. Kept our shopping items to small things.

My DW bought a rug in Kusadasi and it was a lot of fun, and definitely not 5 figures ...

The tour of the carpet factory is very interesting in any case, whether or not you plan to buy. We saw how the silk is unwound from the cocoons, the weaving in process, the training of the weavers, and an collection of antique items. Then we sat down in the showroom as they began tossing hundreds of carpets out for us. My DW finally narrowed it down and then began the bargaining!! (In Morocco one dealer called her a "Berber woman" because they are renowned for their cheapness ... uh, I mean bargaining skill!) She had a lot of fun bargaining and finally wound with a wool living room size rug in the upper 3 figure price range. The whole process took about 3 hours. The rug was shipped to us and arrived in about six weeks in good condition.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We also went to a carpet factory tour near Kusadasi last week and I bought a lovely, hand made 6'x9' wool rug for about $400, shipped home for free. Of course there were also much more expensive ones, but they also had less expensive ones, in the $300 range.

Another interesting item I found there was a picture that is hand painted on the back of an old manuscript page. I bought a small one of Noah's Ark, already framed between 2 pieces of glass for 40 euros, but they have many different subjects and sizes, some framed, some not. Divan Ottoman Minatures sells them. Their store was on the first street to the left as you enter the Bazaar, about 2 blocks up on the right.

My husband had a ball buying MANy items, esp. name brand shirts.Well, guess what, they all shrank to nothing when washed and were NOT the great bargain he thought.So beware, many fakes.But it sure was fun to shop Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and steet markets in Kusadasi. Just have a good time,but for expensive items....save your money.:(

Well, guess what, they all shrank to nothing when washed and were NOT the great bargain he thought.:(

Know exactly what you mean :D My sons bought all the 'designer' labels stuff in sizes bigger than they needed and now they've been washed they fit them just right. Not sure how they'll fit them after a few more washes though :rolleyes:

My husband had a ball buying MANy items, esp. name brand shirts.Well, guess what, they all shrank to nothing when washed and were NOT the great bargain he thought.So beware, many fakes.But it sure was fun to shop Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and steet markets in Kusadasi. Just have a good time,but for expensive items....save your money.:(

This picture says it all :D

A response to why I personally don't think of buying a rug is a smart or a must purchase beyond the conversational and souvenior aspects.

A quality hand woven rug you are talking serious money and very personal ( trust me I've done it 4 times now and have taken hours, the more time you take the more special the whole experience is ). As such, being in port for a day seems a pity to be using your time for such a purchase. At best for a 500 dollar rug, if you are lucky you save 200 bucks, or if you are unlucky get a 100 dollar cheap imitation for your valuable time. If you are there and want to get a 5 figure type rug on discount I got to ask is there a disconnect, on a multi port cruise spending thousands with only 8-10 hours in Kusadasi or Istanbul and what you want is a rug, probabl get flamed but just MHO :D

30517779_0910_Genuine_SouveniorsinKusadasi.jpg.122c52827866347582208c36f61a4288.jpg

I disagree. If you have your mind set on buying a rug while in Turkey the most important thing is to 1) educate yourself before you go. Fiber, type of dye, weave technique etc..... and 2) go to a reputable place.

We visited a government co-op (where many tours go including our private tour) and enjoyed the presentation of how they get the silk from the cocoons, watched the women weave etc. and then were shown an array of beautiful rugs from kilims (cheaper ones) up to gorgeous silk ones ($$$$) DH almost bought a huge one after bargaining down to $4800.00 ( I think they would have gone lower) but I managed to pull him out......as he loves the style but they are not particularly to my taste. At least not in the house we are in now.

Some people think they will get one dirt cheap......but remember you get what you pay for.....some of these rugs take 7 months to weave :eek: so alot of labor goes into one. They are heirlooms for sure, to be passed down and even though you might only save a bit.... it is a souvenier also of visiting a beautiful and unique place. Shipping is free btw. They will also have you sign the back of the rug so you know it is the one you chose when it arrives at your home in the States.

I disagree. If you have your mind set on buying a rug while in Turkey the most important thing is to 1) educate yourself before you go. Fiber, type of dye, weave technique etc..... and 2) go to a reputable place.

We visited a government co-op (where many tours go including our private tour) and enjoyed the presentation of how they get the silk from the cocoons, watched the women weave etc. and then were shown an array of beautiful rugs from kilims (cheaper ones) up to gorgeous silk ones ($$$$) DH almost bought a huge one after bargaining down to $4800.00 ( I think they would have gone lower) but I managed to pull him out......as he loves the style but they are not particularly to my taste. At least not in the house we are in now.

Some people think they will get one dirt cheap......but remember you get what you pay for.....some of these rugs take 7 months to weave :eek: so alot of labor goes into one. They are heirlooms for sure, to be passed down and even though you might only save a bit.... it is a souvenier also of visiting a beautiful and unique place. Shipping is free btw. They will also have you sign the back of the rug so you know it is the one you chose when it arrives at your home in the States.

I guess if that is the purpose of your whole stop, no disagreement. I guess I just bought if from a dealer I know well n Vancouver BC and skipped the factory stuff. Personally I thought the better and larger rugs take more then 7 months ;) I probably paid a bit more, but I know for the 20 hours I was in Kusadasi and Istanbul the sights were worth more then any rug :D

I guess if that is the purpose of your whole stop, no disagreement. I guess I just bought if from a dealer I know well n Vancouver BC and skipped the factory stuff. Personally I thought the better and larger rugs take more then 7 months I probably paid a bit more, but I know for the 20 hours I was in Kusadasi and Istanbul the sights were worth more then any rug

Just FYI: We were in Kusadasi from 9 am until midnight. Took a private tour with Ekol - jeep 4X4 into the mountains all morning, then to Sirince, then for lunch, then carpet demo, then private tour of Ephesus and Terrace Houses....back to ship, shower, change and back onshore for nice dinner. Don't think I could have filled the day with much more ;)

We only spent approx. 30-35 minutes actually looking at carpets....... I guess if you feel like you have to go to multiple places and haggle at each one....then you could spend alot of time messing around with buying a rug. Me - I shop differently. Find something I like - haggle the price to where I want and buy. I won't waste alot of time haggling and will walk away. Have had more than one shop owner follow me down the street going lower and lower the further away we get from his store :rolleyes: The carpet guy actually followed us out into the parking lot with the rug he wanted to sell dh - finally realized "the wife" did not want it and gave up. :o I'm sure he thought the husband had final say - HA

some of these rugs take 7 months to weave :eek: so alot of labor goes into one. They are heirlooms for sure, to be passed down and even though you might only save a bit.... it is a souvenier also of visiting a beautiful and unique place.

Bingo! That is it exactly. Every time somebody walks across our rug in the living room we manage to mention how much fun it was bargaining for it in Turkey! :D

If you somehow think you are getting a great deal and saving thousands of dollars ... well, they also have a nice Bridge over the Bosphorus that they will be happy to sell you ... ;)

I've been in Istanbul for the past week and will be here another 4 days or so. I don't see any "must buys" as I move about. I live in Chicago and I can buy, for mostly cheaper prices there, anything I'm seeing here. Lots of this "stuff" is made in China, or other coutries - other than Turkey. Maybe a spice grinder or small copper coffee pot for cooking purposes at home - making sauces, melting butter, etc.

There are no must buys, I guess, but I could have bought more, had I extra funds and space! I bought some ceramics - little dishes & egg cups, a few pashminas, & DH got a Turkish coffee set-a copper bottom pot with six ceramic cups in copper holders, plus a tray (Istanbul). There are also lovely glass tea sets. Got a lovely embroidered tablecloth in Sirince from a sweet older woman, who also gave me a serviette. Got a camel style carpet bag. Bought a zippered pillow cover; found these in other countries. You can have a nice assortment of decorator pillows when you return from your cruise, with very little weight or space needed. Oh, and a ceramic teacup from the ceramic factory in Kusadasi, special, since it was our anniversary.:)

Bought a zippered pillow cover; found these in other countries. You can have a nice assortment of decorator pillows when you return from your cruise, with very little weight or space needed.:)

OMG...thought I was the only one who bought those pillow covers :D

Was this the little old lady in Sirince ?

364845359_EuropeanVacation2009830.jpg.c0051a5324b0f4d2f405039ecd426320.jpg

Archived