Weather in Alaska Now

NANCYR2

We are in Denali Princess Lodge this morning waiting to take the train to Fairbanks. We got off the Sapphire Princess on Sat after 7 days of rain on the cruise. The dome train ride from Whittier to Deanli was a sunny and pleasant trip in which we experienced wonderful and clear views of Mt McKinley. The weather certainly was not in our favor this trip.

Nancy

We were on the Regent in Alaska sailed on August 19 and we experienced the same weather. Two of the excursions we so looked forward to were cancelled. The helicopter to the glaciers and the float plane to see bears. In fact we saw no bears at all. Very disappointed. Oh well. sorry the weather was bad for you as well.

On the next to last night of the cruise, the production show was cancelled due to the high seas in the Gulf of Alaska. The captain announced that it was too dangerous for the dancers to perform due to the weather conditions.

You book a trip during the wet season and then you're disappointed when the historic averages are true? If you want to dramatically increase the odds of sunshine, come in late May or early June next time. We had a record-breaking-beautiful summer but it couldn't last forever.

It's the cruise lines fault. They push the season out on both ends and mislead people about the seasonal weather. People look at those pretty pictures in the brochures and make their decisions.

Every business does the same thing - show you the best without showing the downsides. Offering a discount for going in times of probable poor weather is still common in some tourist-related businesses but not particularly in cruising.

This is really normal advertising which is a bit deceptive. Another good example is airlines advertising purchasing a seat on an aircraft to Hawaii. They show you a paradise of sand, sun and palm trees. They never show what you’re actually buying, a cramped seat in the cattle car.

It's the cruise lines fault. They push the season out on both ends and mislead people about the seasonal weather. People look at those pretty pictures in the brochures and make their decisions.

Hummm. I think it really is the responsibility of the individual, or if using one, the TA to do research when planning a cruise. I'm headed up to Anchorage next week and know the odds aren't in my favor, but I'm willing to take a chance and have an adventure. Personally, I feel the most misleading cruises are the New England/Canada Fall Foliage cruises. Unless you book the very last cruise of the season, the chances of seeing the spectacular colors shown in the brochures are slim to none. We did one the last week of September and even in Nova Scotia, everything was still pretty green. Still, it was a great cruise as I expect my upcoming Alaskan cruise will be regardless of the weather.

You book a trip during the wet season and then you're disappointed when the historic averages are true? If you want to dramatically increase the odds of sunshine, come in late May or early June next time. We had a record-breaking-beautiful summer but it couldn't last forever.

This is so ironic. We have had record breaking cold weather here in Ohio this summer. One of the reasons I planned this trip for Sept was because it is usually so hot and steamy in August, that I thought the cold weather in Alaska would feel great. Really got my seasons switched this time! LOL!

It has been so hot and steamy here in Florida this Summer I wish I was in Alaska.

We went mid June 2004 High of 94 in Fairbanks we were there for Summer Solctice,We were looking to cool off.Lol

LOL...too funny:D:)

I leave for Seattle on Friday and am soooooo ready for

some cool weather:) I sail from Vancouver on Sunday!!!!!

Several years ago these cruises used to be given away. That is when I used to sail them. But then the discounts got where they were not significant any longer, so I stopped going. These last sailings were always my second trip (one time third ) of the season. Always the earlier trips were better.

Now with the reduced availablity, and prices going up, maybe people will be more selective and these last cruises will again be the bargains??

I like your attitude!! I leave next Monday out of Vancover. I have checked the weather for the week and it looks like rain most of the week. Would I like sunshine? Well yes, but I know I will have a fantastic time even if it does rain. I can hardly wait, have packed my bag, weighed it for the airline (in good shape, left room to bring stuff back) and then unpacked. Will do my final packing Saturday. According to my research this is the rainy time of the year for Alaska but I will just enjoy being on the ship and being pampered.:)

We leave on Wednesday and I don't care what the weather is! Someone will be cooking for me, making my bed, and there's a jacuzzi! Time with my hubby with no children in tow is excellent, no matter the weather!

I couldn't agree more!!! :p

Gee

I was on the same cruise as Nancy. We left Vancouver in glorious sunshine. People were in the pools. Next day cloudy but don't remember rain. In Ketchican it did rain, anywhere from a drizzle to some pretty good rain. Juneau started off nice in the morning but rained pretty heavy in the afternoon. Skagway was overcast and drizzly in the morning but the afternoon was great as we were on the White Pass Railway. Glacier Bay was cloudy and cool with some rain. Yes the production show was cancelled but frankly I was expecting the ride to be worse than what it was. Didn't see anyone getting sick or complaining. Another cloudy,cool and drizzly day in College Fjord. Got in to Whittier and about half way to Anchorage we were in partly sunny conditions. Wouldn't call it 7 days of rain. About what I expected it to be maybe a little cooler than I expected the last 2 days.

On the next to last night of the cruise, the production show was cancelled due to the high seas in the Gulf of Alaska. The captain announced that it was too dangerous for the dancers to perform due to the weather conditions.

It could be worse. A few years ago I was on a cruise that went from Hawaii to Victoria. On the way we hit 20 swails and 50 knot winds. This sort of thing does not bother me, and I had no trouble finding a table for dinner.:)

We are headed to Alaska on the 13th and knew going in what the risk of the weather can be. Last time we were there we ran into mostly light fog & drizzle. I would be greatly happy with that, but will enjoy anything we get.

We leave on Wednesday and I don't care what the weather is! Someone will be cooking for me, making my bed, and there's a jacuzzi! Time with my hubby with no children in tow is excellent, no matter the weather!

TravelBel,

I couldn't agree with you more!! NOTHING is going to put a damper on this trip!

Wishing you a great time!

-Michelle

We booked our first cruise - all we heard and saw was that it should be a bit cooler this time of year - the guidebooks did not show Sept being a rainy time of year - in fact other months showed a higher raincount.

We expected to be a bit cooler, but the temperature difference was supposed to be like 10 degrees different from the averages in the summer. The cruise was not any cheaper. It's 'off peak' which is how we prefer to travel - we look for less crowds. We picked it because we usually vacation around our wedding anniversary in October, so we planned a trip in sept to still be close to that timeframe.

The tone from some experienced cruisers makes me a bit uncomfortable (as a first time cruiser) to ask for help...there is no indication from any tourbook I have read (and I got all the majors) that even possibly mention any problem with September. I do not know any 'serious' cruisers, other than people just saying how beautiful it was on their one and only cruise...

I feel like that 'somehow' I should know better than to book a cruise in a season that is 'somehow so widely known' to be horrible...So, yes, I will not be thrilled if it rains every day on my cruise, and it will change my experience if I have to be completely drenched and soggy.

We booked our first cruise - all we heard and saw was that it should be a bit cooler this time of year - the guidebooks did not show Sept being a rainy time of year - in fact other months showed a higher raincount.

We expected to be a bit cooler, but the temperature difference was supposed to be like 10 degrees different from the averages in the summer. The cruise was not any cheaper. It's 'off peak' which is how we prefer to travel - we look for less crowds. We picked it because we usually vacation around our wedding anniversary in October, so we planned a trip in sept to still be close to that timeframe.

The tone from some experienced cruisers makes me a bit uncomfortable (as a first time cruiser) to ask for help...there is no indication from any tourbook I have read (and I got all the majors) that even possibly mention any problem with September. I do not know any 'serious' cruisers, other than people just saying how beautiful it was on their one and only cruise...

I feel like that 'somehow' I should know better than to book a cruise in a season that is 'somehow so widely known' to be horrible...So, yes, I will not be thrilled if it rains every day on my cruise, and it will change my experience if I have to be completely drenched and soggy.

Sorry you are not getting the posts you prefer, but "help" is always available. The issue with the "guidebooks", is the very general weather stats, which are skewed. If you look at an Alaska map, the cruise portion is an extremely small area. This "area", inside passage, is a rain forrest. AND the weather is very different here compared to interior Alaska, which, in my opinion- holds out later- reason, I recommend northbound cruises in Sept.

Weather reports- are Averages, and what you are seeing on this board is accurate over many years. I've been sailing Alaska since 1994, 26 trips, Yukon lives in the area.

Being well prepared in your attire, and good planning of your shore time, will make ALL the difference. Averages- temps 40-50, 3 days of rain, dusk 7pm, mid Sept. Take whatever you get, it beats staying home and work!!! and enjoy it all!!!!!

Alaska is huge. Most people have no idea how big. I travel to Alaska as late in the cruise season as I can book a ship. I like the change of weather and prefer to be in Alaska into October. Several of my family members work as guides for hunters and fishermen, people who want rafting and such and are very busy during the tourist season.

Every trip I run into people who are totally unprepared for the weather in Alaska and expect, believe in fact, that the Midnight Sun will greet them in Sept. The Land of the Midnight Sun advertising campaign really took root in the minds of many people, but Alaska also has the dark of winter to varying degrees by location.

It isn't Disney World but the cruise lines sell it as if it was. Some people are very disappointed.

Personally, that's a large part of why I don't bother posting. I search the boards for the information I want, and then move on. The friendliness/helpfulness is a sliding scale. Sometimes people are in a good mood and willing to help out those of us that aren't as experienced as they are. Other times they get impatient because they get the same questions and posts all the time. Completely understandable for them to feel that way, but also a little intimidating when you're just trying to gather information. Sometimes there's too much out there, and you're just trying to get the expert opinion. Of course, that comes with its own challenges as you've pointed out.

Hope your trip goes well, regardless. I also hope that this doesn't discourage you from asking if you need help or information that you're just not able to find.

Jeff and Pam - I don't believe most people here intentionally try to intimidate first time cruisers, but I think a lot of first timers book cruises and then find CC and discover, for whatever reason, they might not be as happy with their choice as they first thought based on member's responses. Personally, I would never recommend Alaska as a first cruise. I know many do and are thrilled with their trips, but IMHO, there are just too many variables that can make or break the experience for some. Even with the rock bottom cruise prices this year, Alaska continues to be an expensive place to visit and for that reason alone, I would do as much research as possible before I booked a trip. Please continue to visit CC and ask questions; this really is a great place to gather information. I hope you have a great cruise - even if the weather isn't what you expected, you will still have a wonderful time on the ship.

Oh, and one other thing - you simply can't second guess the weather. It used to be a standing joke between my husband and me that if it was raining , we must be on vacation since we had a string of some dicey weather for a few years in a row. One year we went to the Baltic in June and actually had on heavy jackets in Stockholm. It was blustery and very cold. We had a wonderful day there!

Archived