Trump's changes to Cuba travel from US

VidaNaPraia

It might be helpful to post dates, both of booking and of departure.

Seems like conditions may be slightly different for 1) those who booked before the June 16 announcement, 2) those who book and depart before the new regulations are issued (3 months?) and 3) afterwards.

I agree. On top of the usual variability in answers when you call a cruise line, we've got these three categories of passengers' situations.

Right now, the BIG divide is before and after the new rules come out. Any cruise sailing before those rules are published will go on as before. Until there are new rules, the old rules should apply. BUT I would follow those rules and be very careful about documentation in case audits are stepped up. Remember, the old rules didn't say "just go and do whatever you want." Cruise lines may have allowed passengers to self-certify, but those passengers were supposed to engage in approved "people to people" activities.

I don't think the passenger's booking date is going to be the issue because that will be so difficult for the ship to manage. I think rules will apply to entire cruises, based on some to-be-decided factor, like whether booking had opened before June 16, or whether final payment deadline (or cancellation date) is before or after the new rules come out. If you read that list of Treas dept faqs, cruises appear last, almost as an afterthought. All it says is that cruises will still be allowed to go, details to follow. The fact that they didn't use the June 16 "line in the sand" tells me that they're still trying to figure this one out.

From what I've seen, cruise lines haven't updated info/faqs on their websites. I don't expect to see any changes on websites until the new rules come out.

• 2 weeks later...
Russia has been in for 50 years. JFK had that problem with Russia all those years ago. Remember your history.

Russia is the one who makes all those parts for our classic cars people love in Cuba. Yes JFK was the one who authorized the Pay of Pigs invasion. Forcing Castro to seek protection with Russia from the US. In 1963 that was the closest this world has come to total nuclear war.

Bold is mine! Couldn't agree more!

I think Trump wanted to get rid of the entire people to people category but didn't want to take on the airlines and cruiselines. He's cutting off individual travel because individuals can't fight back, but he still appears to be striking a blow for the Cuban people. Ironically, the individual p2p traveler was probably interacting with Cubans more than people on the "approved" land and cruise tours did. Probably spending more money with them, too.

It makes no sense. But that's politics, isn't it??? :rolleyes:

I agree with you. My trip 5/29th to Cuba, I did 2 private tours. OldCarTours.com. They were fantastic and I had a guide each day. I paid 240CUC for 2 tours in a classic car of my choice. That does not include the tip I gave. If I had more people with me, it still would be same price. I was a solo female traveler and was treated like a princess. This seems to still be within the parameters set by DJT.

I got to know more people by the stops we made and the people I talked to and visited with. I got to know the guides really well. When I got home I bought some gifts for my guide's grandson, he told me about how he and his 4 yr. old grandson spend time on the Malecon.

Sounds like you had a great time.

I got to know the guides really well. When I got home I bought some gifts for my guide's grandson, he told me about how he and his 4 yr. old grandson spend time on the Malecon.

Out of curiosity, have you already sent these gifts by post to Cuba from the US?

(Or are you Canadian?)

I was shocked by the prices to mail small things to Cuba. The USPS explained that they can only send by 1st class for packages to be accepted on the other end.

Sounds like you had a great time.

Out of curiosity, have you already sent these gifts by post to Cuba from the US?

(Or are you Canadian?)

I was shocked by the prices to mail small things to Cuba. The USPS explained that they can only send by 1st class for packages to be accepted on the other end.

I did send the package. No, I am not Canadian. I didn't send it to Cuba. Had a different address to send it to.

I think I know the answer to this first question, but I'll ask it anyway: Can anyone venture a guess as to when the regs will be finalized/issued?

Also, I'm in a worse situation in that I'm on a cruise line that has not yet gotten permission to stop in Cuba. My cruise is in early December. Soon I'll have to make a decision on whether to cancel or not. (The other ports are not very interesting.) Has anyone heard how long it took their cruise line to obtain permission to go to Cuba?

Can anyone venture a guess as to when the regs will be finalized/issued?

In (or just after) the original DJT announcement on June 16, the date given for each agency involved to issue "guidance" was "within 90 days", making that September 16, 2017. "Venturing a guess" is about it......

I was on the NCL sky July3 to Cuba. We hireda private guide who was awesome, He sent all the documents via email including our exact itinerary with a note that only the taxes on the cars would be going to the Gov. one thing I found very interesting was the sign in the lobby of the ship that most people did not see (wasnt printed in any dailies or other information). It stated that "pirate" tours arranged at the pier, nor hop on hop off bus tours would not satisfy the educational people to people visa. I know I went before any changes but saw many Americans hiring tour guides at the pier. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gee, I was on the same cruise and completely missed that sign. So, my question is, why is it that doing an excursion through NCL satisfies the requirements, but doing the exact same thing privately hired doesn't? Does that mean that since I made my own reservation and hired a cab to go to the Tropicana instead of paying NCL's exorbitant price I was doing wrong? And here's another idea-maybe NCL could come up with some more interesting excursions. I had kind of a hard time choosing not because there were so many, but because there were so few and those offered didn't sound like something I'd be interested in-especially since half of them were stopping at cigar factories. BLECH. The art tour we took was ok, but half the time was taken up by a stop at the Mercado San Jose, which besides the fact that I'd already walked there the day before and the tour description didn't say they were doing this, is only marginally related to art. There is a section that has artists with art for sale, but it's mostly souvenirs.

I wouldn't try to make sense out of the changes. They're only being made to reverse what a former president did.

I don't suppose NCL offered any evening excursions like dinner at a restaurant, did they? If we are policed by our cruise line (NOT NCL, but just trying to get a sense of what might be available) I hope they at least offer more than a trip to a cigar factory or a Mercado stop. I hate the fact that most cruise line excursions seem to have an obligatory shopping stop built in - although I also realize that some people LIKE these stops.

NCL offered evening excursions-to the Tropicana and also a couple of other shows in other places-it's much cheaper and easier to do these on your own, though-make reservations through their website and they'll let you pay cash (CUC) when you get there (take a cab-we paid 35 CUC each way to the Tropicana and weren't beholden to a bus schedule). I think you can get a package for the show that includes dinner there. Of course, all that's assuming the cruise lines (due to gov't rules) haven't started forcing you to take an excursion in order to get off the ship. NCL also offered a walking tour in the evening.

The obligatory shop stops seemed to be a part of every excursion-an hour of the "Ultimate Havana" tour was spent at a shop selling cigars and rum-it could have been better spent seeing more of the city. And the "Fabrica del Art" tour spent an hour at the Mercado San Jose-not noted in the description or I wouldn't have walked there myself the day before. I think it's because they think absolutely everyone that goes to Cuba is just dying to get their hands on the cigars and rum.

Gee, I was on the same cruise and completely missed that sign. So, my question is, why is it that doing an excursion through NCL satisfies the requirements, but doing the exact same thing privately hired doesn't? Does that mean that since I made my own reservation and hired a cab to go to the Tropicana instead of paying NCL's exorbitant price I was doing wrong? And here's another idea-maybe NCL could come up with some more interesting excursions. I had kind of a hard time choosing not because there were so many, but because there were so few and those offered didn't sound like something I'd be interested in-especially since half of them were stopping at cigar factories. BLECH. The art tour we took was ok, but half the time was taken up by a stop at the Mercado San Jose, which besides the fact that I'd already walked there the day before and the tour description didn't say they were doing this, is only marginally related to art. There is a section that has artists with art for sale, but it's mostly souvenirs.

The sign was in a large placard next to guest services. I only saw it because I lost my key and had to get a new one before disembarking on the second day. Im looking for a picture of the sign because I think I took one.

I was on the NCL sky July3 to Cuba. We hireda private guide who was awesome, He sent all the documents via email including our exact itinerary with a note that only the taxes on the cars would be going to the Gov. one thing I found very interesting was the sign in the lobby of the ship that most people did not see (wasnt printed in any dailies or other information). It stated that "pirate" tours arranged at the pier, nor hop on hop off bus tours would not satisfy the educational people to people visa. I know I went before any changes but saw many Americans hiring tour guides at the pier. Very interesting.

Can you tell me who you used? We are on the NCL SKY Aug 7th. Thanks

Can you tell me who you used? We are on the NCL SKY Aug 7th. Thanks

We used Blexi. Blexie100588@gmail.com. He was awesome. He will email you back within a day or two! I highly recommend him. We hited him for July 4th and tried to convince him to work for us on the 5 th but he couldnt. Say hello from Mary!

Thank you so much, I have sent an email and am looking forward to a response from him. Can you tell me a little about your itinerary and price? I assume he speaks english? We took spanish in high school a long time ago so our vocabulary is limited to 'cerveza' and 'el bano' por favor. LOL ....Jeanne

Thank you so much, I have sent an email and am looking forward to a response from him. Can you tell me a little about your itinerary and price? I assume he speaks english? We took spanish in high school a long time ago so our vocabulary is limited to 'cerveza' and 'el bano' por favor. LOL ....Jeanne

Blexie speaks English wonderfully ( he used to teach English at the college level but tour industry is more profitable). The tour was $130 cucs before tip and included everything plus more than the ship tours. We met at 10:00 and were out until after 5. Price includes old cars for a few hours. You can also customize but his itinerary was all we wanted plus more. We only paid for our drinks and lunch. (Drinks @$5 cucs and lunch @$20 cucs). If you book him please bring him adult gum as he loves it and cant get any in Cuba,and kraft mac and cheese. We wish we knew before our tour but he mentioned that it was his favorite US food that he tasted once and cant get. So funny how cheap things mean something to others. And of course a tip is not included.

The Miami Herald has gotten a copy of what he will say tomorrow. Changes are to be in place in 90 days.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article156337129.html

In my opinion no Americans should want to travel to Cuba until that country returns criminals who are residing in Cuba . I am referring specifically to those responsible for the death of NYC Police officers .

Ayayay.

Just when we were all doing so well steering clear of personal politics......and sticking to factual travel questions, just like on other forums.

Some of us think the best way to resolve the situation with Cuba (maybe even before a certain 67 year old woman ceases to be part of the equation) is to get to know individual Cubans and let them get to know us.

If you don't want to go to Cuba.....don't go.

If you insist on inflicting your political opinions on others here on the forum, you will get at least as good back. So let's not start it up again. It's gotten old already and I think most of us here have covered it in previous posts/threads.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Blexie speaks English wonderfully ( he used to teach English at the college level but tour industry is more profitable). If you book him please bring him adult gum as he loves it and cant get any in Cuba,and kraft mac and cheese.

We are booked with Blexie next week. Anything on your itinerary that we should make sure we don't miss? We will take gum and Kraft Mac & Cheese. Any idea what adult gum he prefers? Thanks!

We are booked with Blexie next week. Anything on your itinerary that we should make sure we don't miss? We will take gum and Kraft Mac & Cheese. Any idea what adult gum he prefers? Thanks!

So happy he was available. Here is a screen shot of our tour. It was perfect. We added a stop at a cigar shop for some cigars and rum. Im sure hed like any gum that is nit bubble gum for kids. We had "extra" and he was pleased and even shared with car driver. Feel free to ask any other questions. 350e2b8281cf721df89353de060248bc.jpg

So happy he was available. Here is a screen shot of our tour. It was perfect. We added a stop at a cigar shop for some cigars and rum. Im sure hed like any gum that is nit bubble gum for kids. We had "extra" and he was pleased and even shared with car driver. Feel free to ask any other questions. 350e2b8281cf721df89353de060248bc.jpg

My friend just told me it was dentyne that he said he loved.

My friend just told me it was dentyne that he said he loved.

Thanks for all the info. We booked with Blexie 2 months ago and he was only available the second day. Will will see Old Havana, museums and El Morro area with another tour guide the first day.

With Blexie we will head out to Muraleando. Did you see the Colon Cemetary? Was the trip to the forest interesting? We would like to learn more about Santeria after seeing the PBS Weekend in Havana coverage of it.