Mexico All-Inclusive Alcohol... This is a tad alarming.

sweetpee_1993

I hope this is okay to post. I'm kind of surprised it's not already posted. I saw the same article posted by a local news outlet different than this one. I guess if it's not okay it'll get taken down. Worth a shot because it's definitely worth discussing considering how popular all-inclusive day passes and beach clubs are. My friends & I were going to do an all-inclusive in Cozumel in October. I may rethink that. We're 3 ladies alone. Granted, 1 doesn't drink so she could always keep an eye on us but still. This is quite scary to think about particularly as a woman who cruises with friends without our fellas fairly frequently.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2017/07/20/all-inclusive-resorts-mexico-suspected-drugging-tourists/490429001/

I wonder if there's a way to test the drinks. What if you paid the all-inclusive but brought a bottle of liquor picked up on the way from the ship?

Just want to mention, I make an effort NOT to be one of those paranoid travelers. I've had wonderful days walking around Nassau. Been to Cozumel many times and seem some amazing places. Even ventured on my own away from the Costa Maya cruise port. I'm realistic. I don't go to sketchy places. I'm aware of my surroundings. But this, this is different. Definitely making me think about things.

The link worked for me.

I hope everyone is careful while drinking. It is always possible that someone could be given a tainted drinks but it more likely that someone would over drink. But young ladies do need to be extra careful in Mexico but also in their own hometown. I am often telling my daughter this.

Based on the article, it appears that the only resort noted on Cozumel was the Iberostar. Not a typical place for day cruisers to hang out. And it does appear that most of the women interviewed were staying at the resorts. Not sure which resort was the one involved in the opening sequence, but could have been up in Cancun.

However, it's never a good thing to let down your guard and go overboard when drinking at an AI. The result can make you a pier runner or worse.

This is widely reported on the travel forums and happened at the Ibero Paraiso complex in the RM. The kids were drinking shots with others and had a high toxicology level and were apparently alone when something happened but the details are unclear and the family is investigating.

From what I read, these people were more than likely drugged not drunk. This happened to a friend of mine. He had one drink and woke up the next day on the beach minus $40. He was with friends and the same happened to them! Predators can spot a tourist a mile away and they are targeted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The percentage of unregulated alcohol cited is like 40-something percent. Reported by what looks like the equivalent of our IRS. I searched the name of the source and, honestly, it looks like just the government tax agency. So I'm not 100% sure what they would have to do with alcohol sales or regulation aside from taxed alcohol sales. It's not like a liquor board or ATF, etc. Untaxed "illegal" alcohol could simply be normal bottles not reported. Does that make sense? I've also been searching high & low for more info about any of this. I'm not turning up much of anything. Not saying it did or did not happen, just I cannot find anything.

I wish I could converse with some locals or people in the know. Get their take. It's not just about cruise excursion AI interests, hubby & I were planning to do an AI for our 25th anniversary next year.

I appreciate the input & thoughts of others. Again, I'm not the typically paranoid type. I'm usually more of a skeptic when it comes to journalism since we all know a sensational spin sells. ;)

SweetPea I also would like to know how safe things are as we will be doing Mr Sanchos all inclusive beach break in September Hopefully by then we will have more information as to if we should be concerned.

Cozumel has anywhere from 5-10 thousand tourists per DAY visiting. The island relies on them. No way they want to blow it by having a scandal like this. If there is one bad bartender, who does something bad, he wouldn't have a job long. The locals are the nicest people you can meet on ANY island in the Caribbean. Period. They love the tourists...or they don't eat or feed their families.

Seriously everyone....try not to start a panic over an article with little proven facts.

Well, there's now a mention of this issue in the US state Department's travel information/warnings. If you go to the Safety & Security tab HERE & scroll to the blurb about Alcohol:

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of tainted or substandard alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

I still feel like the wording is very careful not to be too solid. I read some even more recent articles last night that said since the original article went mainstream the news agency that originally wrote it has been contacted by more than 3 dozen people with similar stories. I still cannot find additional info. Maybe this is the first time people have all started realizing it wasn't just some freak thing that happened to them. I don't know. Perhaps the government decided they'd better at least mention it in a warning of sorts.

I do know there are some things in life that the consequences are bad enough that you just don't take the chance to begin with. While most of these stories seem to point more at AI resorts that host vacationers on dedicated trips, there IS an Iberostar that sells day passes in Cozumel. There are many all-inclusive day resorts that something of this nature would impact their business model. I don't think I want to be the person who finds out the hard way. My friends I'm traveling with & I are looking at options for our Cozumel port day in October that don't include drinking alcohol. My husband & I have decided to push off the trip to Playa or Isla Mujeres we were planning for to swim with whale sharks in Sept 2018. We just don't feel like it'd be as enjoyable or relaxing if we were constantly looking over our shoulders.

I will continue to watch for more info. Information is always a good thing. Eventually I do want to swim with those whale sharks!

SweetPea I also would like to know how safe things are as we will be doing Mr Sanchos all inclusive beach break in September Hopefully by then we will have more information as to if we should be concerned.

Concerned about???

And yes, information is excellent, and sweetpea I know you added a "caveat". But there are now a ton of these threads, mostly on land-based travel forums, and the amount of speculation and biased feedback like above has become overwhelming. Just so much guessing about what happened to these kids at the Ibero Paraiso and many of the known facts are conveniently omitted.

Enjoy your day on Coz eedee. Common sense is a good trait, and if you disregard the hype surrounding this one event and the reference to other supposed similar events you'll be much happier. We've been to the Riviera Maya 7 times in the past 2.5 years staying at both AI resorts and condos and have seen many instances of over-drinking and wild play in shallow pools. As mentioned, some folks do drink too much and don't take responsibility for that. I'm sure there are isolated instances of foul play, just as anywhere, but the current hysteria on these forums is just nuts IMHO...

My boss' wife was in Mexico last month. Don't know the resort, but on the mainland. Went to a swim up bar. Ordered a drink, had a few sips. Had to be taken to her room in a wheelchair. Don't remember anything that day. Recovered.

I think the places on Cozumel would watch out for anything like this. One or two reports and all the cruise ships would pull out. The locals have too much at stake to attempt anything that might ruin their living. My opinion.

My friend and I already booked an AI beach day at Chankanaab before all these stories broke out and we honestly are a little worried but I've been telling myself the same thing many of you mentioned. They thrive off of cruiselines visiting the island and cruises wouldn't stop there or list excursions to places if they didn't feel they could guarantee our safety. Still a little sketched out, but going to try and enjoy myself regardless.

These threads pop up whenever there is a story that people can grab on to, often with their own questionable or unconfirmed stories from friends or from other threads they read like this, and it just escalates. Since this is based on a land vacation and a resort in the Riviera Maya there are tons of these threads on TA and other travel forums. It really shouldn't be on this site...

These will start to go away once the hype evaporates, and of course this and other resorts are quite busy as the original story had nothing to do with the resort.

I was also a little concerned about this. We will be in cozumel and costa Maya in Sep. I read an article on yahoo (through cbs/NBC/ABC) about it not necessarily being a bad bartender but there are places that by black market/bootleg alcohol that is not alcohol. It has the same taste and smell. The establishments that purchase it because it is about 1/2 the cost and they avoid the heavy taxes on the liquor. I am not concerned about a bad bartender as much as I am concerned about establishments purchasing the black market alcohol. In this same story (I will try to post a link later) it referenced another victims who was a cruise passenger who did not recall how they made it back to their cabin. I have been to Mr. Sanchez 3 times and was planning on going back in Sep. I was thinking about their all inclusive package but may opt to just pay as we go and avoid non-bottled beverages.

Once the terrible story of the young girl dying came out, several other similar stories (although none involving a death) came out and were corroborated in the mainstream news media. These were not "a friend of my grandmother's hairdresser's boyfriend" type of stories. That is enough to be a concern and to justify posting a discussion thread.

I don't feel that places like Mr. Sancho's or Nachi are at high risk for similar incidents - and I plan to drink at Nachi when I am there in April, but I will be with my husband, who doesn't drink.

I wouldn't necessarily boycott Mexico AI's (although not my scene) but I would strongly discourage my 23 y.o. daughter from going to one. If spiking drinks is happening, a group of young women would be particularly vulnerable.

I was also a little concerned about this. We will be in cozumel and costa Maya in Sep. I read an article on yahoo (through cbs/NBC/ABC) about it not necessarily being a bad bartender but there are places that by black market/bootleg alcohol that is not alcohol. It has the same taste and smell. The establishments that purchase it because it is about 1/2 the cost and they avoid the heavy taxes on the liquor. I am not concerned about a bad bartender as much as I am concerned about establishments purchasing the black market alcohol. In this same story (I will try to post a link later) it referenced another victims who was a cruise passenger who did not recall how they made it back to their cabin. I have been to Mr. Sanchez 3 times and was planning on going back in Sep. I was thinking about their all inclusive package but may opt to just pay as we go and avoid non-bottled beverages.

Please bear in mind that most of these took place up in Cancun. And most at one of a chain for AI vacations in various locations around the area. The same chain was implicated in Cozumel. So, for most cruiser oriented day places, like Mr. Sanchos, Nachi, Paradise Beach, et.al. you'll probably not be finding an issue. If there ever was one, the word would be out and they place would most likely shut down.

While it pays to be careful and observant, there's no need to get panicky.

I don't read most of the links and posts that a few folks feel the need to share as most are from reports that are 1) unsubstantiated, and 2) just plain nuts. The resort in question is a favorite of many and part of a larger complex closer to Maroma Beach and well south of Cancun and even Puerto Morelos. This death is an isolated incident - there are no reports of this happening at other sister properties or at other resort chains that I am aware of (other than the couple that drowned at a resort when the husband had a heart attack and his wife could not escape from under him and drowned). That too was blamed on staff or another guest until the investigation showed otherwise. Speculation becomes rampant when anything like this is reported. One of our favorite resorts is a sister property in Playacar, and their Coz property is just ok. But these are very safe resorts and not as many are describing them.

Yes there are people who are coming out of the woodwork and accusing a bartender or another guest of wrongdoing for an incident that they can't recall. Many of these "reports" have the same degree of credibility as a purported UFO abduction just because there is no objective evidence of wrong doing, and the person cannot remember anything except they were drinking! This incident reportedly included drinking shots and jumping in shallow water, and the many posts blaming the staff or another guest are premature, at least, if not downright vindictive.

We have vacationed many times in Mexico at all inclusive resorts. In 2001 we were vacationing in Puerto Vallarta at Mislamoya Bay. Our first night there we both ordered a margarita, it totally knocked us out, we don't remember the walk back to our room, but we woke up the next morning in bed. It was bizarre and at the time confusing. We had never experienced anything like that previously and I can tell you we were not drunk.

We have vacationed many times in Mexico at all inclusive resorts. In 2001 we were vacationing in Puerto Vallarta at Mislamoya Bay. Our first night there we both ordered a margarita, it totally knocked us out, we don't remember the walk back to our room, but we woke up the next morning in bed. It was bizarre and at the time confusing. We had never experienced anything like that previously and I can tell you we were not drunk.

I'm sure some of these black outs are real and I'm not saying there aren't incidents of foul play for whatever the reason. Just the rampant speculation over this one incident is a bit much...

I recently went to Nachi this June. I didn't drink at all until right before we were about to leave. The bartender fixed me a rum punch. By the time we walked through the Carnival shops to the boat I was heavily intoxicated and spent the rest of the night vomiting in the bathroom. I hadn't eaten that day and blamed my empty stomach on my intoxication. The next 2 days I had severe pain in my chest and stomach. I just assumed it was from falling off the paddle board and taking in so much salt water while at Nachi but in the back of my mind wondered if somethings wasn't in that drink. Guess I just didn't want to assume the worst and kept blaming my issues on other things. These recent articles def scare me.