Happy with Airfare through Princess

geoherb

I booked a cruise for the British Isles in August a couple of weeks ago. Before booking, I made sure the airfare was going to be reasonable. The backup plan was to book a flight from Dulles, which is about five hours away for us, instead of our local airport. The prices I was getting on a major travel website showed that we could save $1,500 between the two of us by making this drive. I called Princess directly to get a quote, which was just a little bit more than the flights from Dulles--but well worth not having to drive. But after booking the cruise the next day, I found even better fares on the Princess website from our local airport. We paid less than half the price I saw previously during my research.

Totally agree about Princess EZ Air. We got first class tickets from Tampa to London using Princess EZ Air for $1300 each. I then checked several other online sites and the same exact flight was $6000 for first class. I do not know how Princess does it, but they are wonderful.

Delta changed our flight times twice which made our connection impossible. Both times Princess took care of it for us, even though Delta wanted to raise our price one of the times, when it was Delta's cause.

Totally agree about Princess EZ Air. We got first class tickets from Tampa to London using Princess EZ Air for $1300 each. I then checked several other online sites and the same exact flight was $6000 for first class. I do not know how Princess does it, but they are wonderful.

Delta changed our flight times twice which made our connection impossible. Both times Princess took care of it for us, even though Delta wanted to raise our price one of the times, when it was Delta's cause.

You might want to look into that a bit more. No airline has non-stop from TPA-LON with a first class cabin.

Not sure what the Delta reference is about but if you're flying DL that'll be business class via ATL, most likely.

You might want to look into that a bit more. No airline has non-stop from TPA-LON with a first class cabin.

Not sure what the Delta reference is about but if you're flying DL that'll be business class via ATL, most likely.

The poster you are quoting doesn't say they are flying nonstop, they mention connection. But, you're right that DL doesn't appear to have a first class cabin, TPA-LON, only business class.

I hope all your flights go as planned. But, just in case, since you'll have to go through EZair if things go sideways instead of directly with an airline, do some "just in case" planning to have alternative flights already in your folder to reference so you don't get stuck with what you are offered.

Remember: just because you booked through Princess, it does not mean they will get you on the "next" flight - they will get you on the next "available flight with seats available based on your fare basis" flight. If you go in with your eyes wide open and not blindly trusting Princess, you'll be fine.

You are correct 6rugrats. We are flying Delta business class from Tampa to Atlanta. Then first class on Virgin Atlantic Airways to London. As to my original comment, nobody could come anywhere near the EZ Air price. Let me see $1300 from EZ Air or $6000 to $6500 from the other sites. We feel this was a no brainer.

You are correct 6rugrats. We are flying Delta business class from Tampa to Atlanta. Then first class on Virgin Atlantic Airways to London. As to my original comment, nobody could come anywhere near the EZ Air price. Let me see $1300 from EZ Air or $6000 to $6500 from the other sites. We feel this was a no brainer.

Virgin Atlantic does not have a first class cabin. Upper Class, their top cabin, is a business class product.

The DL flight from TPA-ATL will be first class though.

Virgin Atlantic does not have a first class cabin. Upper Class, their top cabin, is a business class product.

The DL flight from TPA-ATL will be first class though.

Yep, no First Class but business. And, their Upper Class cabin layouts are very strange, not what I'd call good for couples. Now, if traveling solo, pretty good as all are separate pods.

To the couple flying Virgin - take a very close look at the seating chart for the aircraft you have for the TATL leg. It looks like you do not want to choose the same "row", but the row in front or behind to be next to each other.

I've got two friends who spend 3 years saving up all kinds of FF miles and are almost finished with a RTW-in First Class trip (250,000 miles each and they took 2 weeks to do it). The best First Class they had was the Singapore Airlines 1st class SUITES on the 20 hr flight from Singapore to Frankfurt!!! I may save my miles to do this in a few years!!!

The best First Class they had was the Singapore Airlines 1st class SUITES on the 20 hr flight from Singapore to Frankfurt!!! I may save my miles to do this in a few years!!!

It's certainly one of the best all round products in the world.

The SIN-FRA flight is nowhere near 20hrs though. 12.5-13hrs is nearer the mark. In the SQ Suites I'd rather it be 20 though...time for a nice dinner, then sleep in the double bed (with real mattress) then another decent meal. With lashings of Krug and DP, naturally.

The best First Class they had was the Singapore Airlines 1st class SUITES on the 20 hr flight from Singapore to Frankfurt!!! I may save my miles to do this in a few years!!!

I am curious as to what type of miles they used to book this. A transfer of credit card miles? Singapore releases very few, if any, award seats in F and then only to their FF using KrisFlyer miles.

I am curious as to what type of miles they used to book this. A transfer of credit card miles? Singapore releases very few, if any, award seats in F and then only to their FF using KrisFlyer miles.

I only went by what they posted on their travelogue for that 20 hours. Mea culpa.

I'm not sure what they did miles-wise. She said they played the credit card game to accrue miles, along with all the miles accumulated flying home to AK and around the world as an athlete. Their route is: SLC-LAX-ICN-TPE-HKG-BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK-PTY-ATL-SLC. Seeing how some of the travel is on DL and there's that Singapore flight, they had to do some segmentation. They are both very experienced fliers and spent 3 years figuring this one out. They very well could have transferred miles to a KrisFlyer account to get that First Class suite experience. They coupled that flight with a night at the Marina Bay Hotel in Singapore - the rooftop infinity pool photos were amazing - imaging having the nighttime fireworks across the bay at eye-level!!!

Be it Princess, Celebrity or HAL, we've ALWAYS found that using their air in conjunction with a TA or European cruise was considerably less $$$$$, regardless of class of service. The last time we flew 1st class, there was no such thing as business class. We've always used business and find it more than adequate.

Even more curious, as DL and Singapore are not even in the same alliance. Just wondered if there was some trick I was missing.

Sounds like an amazing trip!

I know. Not sure how they did it all. They are from an airline family (NW/DL), so maybe they have some insider info.

They are through to the PTY leg now. spending a few days visiting friends before finishing ATL-SLC.

All I know is that I want to fly any class to Singapore so I can stay at that hotel - her photos of that infinity pool and the view it has over the harbor are amazing!!!

Was $1300 one way or round trip business class?

• 2 weeks later...
Even more curious, as DL and Singapore are not even in the same alliance. Just wondered if there was some trick I was missing.

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Finally found out how my friends did the RTW trip. 3 years of planning, multiple sets of points from different sources. It was planned around doing the Singapore Suite flight. All were one-way tickets to their locations. The reason they said the Singapore segment was as long as they said was because it was SIN-FRA, then back on the same plane for FRA-JFK. 13 days from start to finish!

We think that Princess has done a pretty decent job with their EZ Air web site. It makes it relatively easy to check many different options and find the best deals. A recent example is that we booked a Princess cruise from Singapore to Vancouver and needed 1 one air from the East Coast to Singapore. I started searching every airport within a few hours drive (from our home) looking for something special. It turned out that Princess had a great deal out of JFK (not my favorite airport) that would save DW and I about $3000 on two business class tickets. This deal is not available from other airports in our part of the country...so we were happy to book. Compare this to HAL where they have no information online. You have to call your cruise agent (or cruise air office) and sit on the phone while they can look at options. But if one wants to check many different airport options...this is hard to do on the phone thru another party.

Hank