What is the BEST specialty dining on NA?

LMaxwell

Which restaurant, in your opinion, offers the best specialty dining experience on Nieuw Amsterdam? is HAL still a flat cover charge for specialty dining? On a 4 day cruise is it worth bypassing the MDR one night to try specialty, or save the money and stick to MDR (never cruised HAL to MDR would be new for me there too). Do they ever offer onboard discounts or promotions?

Tamarind is a great choice if you have to pick just one. Both are flat rate. I'd do PG and Tamarind, as I think both are great values. Or you can do lunch in the PG on a sea day, if there are any on a 4-day cruise (not being snarky). Obviously it's not the dinner menu, but a superb lunch with service to match.

I agree with those suggesting the Tamarind. It would be our first choice. Second choice is the Canaletto, despite it being in the lido. Since the menu changes in the Pinnacle Grill I find this choice not as appealing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems to be pretty well unanimous. The Tamarind is our favorite, too. In fact, we almost didn't book our next cruise because its on the Veendam, which doesn't have a Tamarind. I appreciate the various restaurants, especially on long cruises.

I too, prefer the Pinnacle (slightly), but my bride loves the Tamarind. It's kind of an apples and oranges thing, though - Asian fusion versus a steak house. I look forward to either, as they are both exceptional. My DW also enjoys the PG, but she "has more choices" at Tamarind as she seldom eats red meat.

How difficult is it to make reservations once on board?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the majority of the passengers have free promo dinners, it gets tough. I always make reservations well in advance of boarding to assure our desired time and night. If I have a free dinner, I go as soon as I board and have them put the freebie in my prepaid time slot and they credit the cost to my on board account. I don't think it's as critical on longer cruises.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam we love the Tamarind.

Second choice is the Pinnacle.

We alternate between the two.

We do not care for the Canaletto.

We gave up the MDR several years ago.

And I always pre-book all specialty restaurants.

Some times it is hard to get a reservation for the Pinnacle because many people get the Explore4 promotion and many people they get a free Pinnacle dinner.

Which restaurant, in your opinion, offers the best specialty dining experience on Nieuw Amsterdam?

I recommend Tamarind.

Pinnacle isn't bad but if you've eaten steakhouses on other lines, it won't be too impressive. I would actually rate it in the middle when comparing other lines' steakhouses.

Which restaurant, in your opinion, offers the best specialty dining experience on Nieuw Amsterdam? is HAL still a flat cover charge for specialty dining? On a 4 day cruise is it worth bypassing the MDR one night to try specialty, or save the money and stick to MDR (never cruised HAL to MDR would be new for me there too). Do they ever offer onboard discounts or promotions?

I would try all the specialties. But, then, we rarely dine in the MDR. We think the MDR on all the cruise lines are too loud and too crowded. It doesn't matter whether it's HAL or Princess, we prefer the specialties.

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in November. How far in advance do you make reservations for the specialty restaurants?
As soon as we know which night we want.

for PG lunch you can only reserve once onboard, right? Is there a set time for lunch?
Yes, and time is typically 12:00 to 13:00.