Royal or Regal Princess - Dimensions for a standard balcony

cruise101

I was hesitant about booking Royal due to the small balconies, but honestly, they did bot bother me as much as I thought. Would I like a bigger balcony?...sure, but we loved the rest of the ship! So it is a tradeoff that we are willing to make.

I will say however, that the shower has to be the smallest I've seen since our first cruise on Celebrity Meridian, a ship built in the 60s. Both showers require a deep knee bend if you drop the soap! And what's with the shower curtain?!

Still, we loved Royal Princess!

We also sailed on Meridian in the early '90s to Bermuda. Our first Celebrity cruise and we fell in love with the cruiseline! Many changes since that time. We also love Royal Princess and we've booked her for 2019 on her first time to have a home port on the west coast.

Thank you! Just personal preference, I would like to be angled forward, if we don't get blown away!

And, yes, like these standard balconies, these Princess Bathrooms are beyond TINY! And, that shower....

Hey, can you remember if the bed in that room was on the left wall, also facing 'forward'?

It seems like the bed was on the right side as you come into the stateroom.

We also sailed on Meridian in the early '90s to Bermuda. Our first Celebrity cruise and we fell in love with the cruiseline! Many changes since that time. We also love Royal Princess and we've booked her for 2019 on her first time to have a home port on the west coast.

Meridian to Bermuda was the ship that got us hooked on cruising in 1996. We stuck with Celebrity for many years since then, but their emphasis on suite passengers, coupled with other cutbacks, have us leaning towards Princess now. I realize that all lines are cutting, but not being as familiar with Princess hasps blissfully unaware of the changes here!

We had a special anniversary and booked a suite on the Royal. We were very disappointed that the balcony was about the size of the one pictured on this thread but twice as long. We've also been in a balcony and a club class mini on the Royal and they were almost the same as the picture. We had to have an accessible cabin so not much choice on location. We were on the first bump with the mini, which was a little tiny bit bigger. We will not book that class of ship again! I think Princess made a mistake with balcony sizing, but the ships are lovely. We have been sailing Princess for many years but our next cruise is on HAL which we haven't been aboard for 20 years........guess we'll see how different it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a special anniversary and booked a suite on the Royal. We were very disappointed that the balcony was about the size of the one pictured on this thread but twice as long. We've also been in a balcony and a club class mini on the Royal and they were almost the same as the picture. We had to have an accessible cabin so not much choice on location. We were on the first bump with the mini, which was a little tiny bit bigger. We will not book that class of ship again! I think Princess made a mistake with balcony sizing, but the ships are lovely. We have been sailing Princess for many years but our next cruise is on HAL which we haven't been aboard for 20 years........guess we'll see how different it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That was one of my major dislikes the first time we sailed on the Royal but have come to really like all the other features the ship has to offer over the older classes.

It may not be for everyone but we've found our home.

When its only the two of us cruising, the Royal balconies are just fine for us as we only use them for reading, coffee/wine, looking at the horizon and listening to the waves. If we're traveling with pals, the bump-out with the larger balconies would be our choice.

I have read on several reviews that the balconies on standard balcony cabins on the Royal & Regal class vessels are very small. In fact one poster had stated that if you are sitting on the balcony chairs, your back will be touching the balcony door and your knees to the railing. So, wanted to know the actual dimensions of the balcony for a standard balcony cabin on the Royal or Regal ships. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Yep, the standard balconies are smaller than on the Grand Class ships. If you position the chairs at a slight angle, there will be more room. If you spend that much time on the balcony looking straight out, then book one of the premium balcony cabins. We spend a fair amount of time on the balcony and have not seen that as a problem during any of our 7 voyages on either the Royal or Regal.

The other great features of this class ship more than makeup for this loss of one foot of depth in the balcony.

Our first cruise was on the NCL Majesty which is no longer in service. We had an ocean view. The whole cabin was 109 square feet. There was only room for one very small nightstand. There was no lip at the bottom edge of the shower-just a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor-so the floor was almost always wet. We had one small closet that came right up to the end of the bed. You literally had to crawl out of bed if you had the side jammed up against the side wall of the cabin.

So every time I feel like my Princess cabin is small I just think back to that first cruise back in 2001 and am thankful I have some room to turn around.

I know this thread is about balconies but it's also about feeling cramped. I think I would be ok with the Royal/Regal balcony but I have yet to try one. When we were on the Royal we were in an inside. I did really like the Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't wait to be on the Regal !

Want to book one of these mid-ship cabins mentioned.

But, on a budget, looks like we will choose the cheapest balcony cabin, the very first (closest to mid-ship) balcony in the forward section. Have to pay for the Sanctuary, Excursions, etc!!!!!

So, even thought we might book far enough out to get one of the more coveted cabins onboard... we might not!

Unless you book one of the standard balconies on the "hump." We were in D424 on Royal and the balcony was more than 65 square feet. We could have had 4 to 6 persons on the balcony with plenty of room.

We have D410 on an upcoming Regal cruise. It's a Deluxe Balcony at the opposite end of the hump from D424...the balcony should be a mirror image of yours. We chose the cabin specifically for the oversized balcony and the location.

We also like big aft balconies, and the ones on Baja and Dolphin are half covered. For our upcoming cruise We decided since there's the potential for weather/rough seas (Atlantic in October), mid-ship was best.

We have D410 on an upcoming Regal cruise. It's a Deluxe Balcony at the opposite end of the hump from D424...the balcony should be a mirror image of yours. We chose the cabin specifically for the oversized balcony and the location.

We also like big aft balconies, and the ones on Baja and Dolphin are half covered. For our upcoming cruise We decided since there's the potential for weather/rough seas (Atlantic in October), mid-ship was best.

Cindy,

If the brochure pictures are at least somewhat accurate, D410 should be at least 65 sq ft.

They are more like an oversized window ledge than a balcony. I booked the forward facing obstructed deluxe balcony on the lido deck which has a very large balcony. At the time it was less expensive than a standard balcony port or starboard . I usually book an ocean view so even if I can't sit on the balcony when at sea due to the wind, at least I have a larger room and a window view. An inside doesn't work for me and my wife.

They are more like an oversized window ledge than a balcony. I booked the forward facing obstructed deluxe balcony on the lido deck which has a very large balcony. At the time it was less expensive than a standard balcony port or starboard . I usually book an ocean view so even if I can't sit on the balcony when at sea due to the wind, at least I have a larger room and a window view. An inside doesn't work for me and my wife.
Yes, us too! Cabin L101 is our absolute favourite on Royal. Love being on Lido!