Crazy Kind of Question- Bringing a musical instrument onboard.

cloudninecat

One of the guest I'm taking on the cruise with us wants to bring a Ukelele (tiny guitar) and he asked me if it were possible it would be taken away. I can't for the life of me imagine that it would but thought I'd ask to be sure as he doesn't want to lose it. It's small enough to pack in his suitcase. He wants to be able to play it on his balcony. We have practically the whole back of the ship booked so the likelihood it would disturb someone not part of our group is low and he would quit playing if asked. Just want to know if it's allowed. TIA

One of the guest I'm taking on the cruise with us wants to bring a Ukelele (tiny guitar) and he asked me if it were possible it would be taken away. I can't for the life of me imagine that it would but thought I'd ask to be sure as he doesn't want to lose it. It's small enough to pack in his suitcase. He wants to be able to play it on his balcony. We have practically the whole back of the ship booked so the likelihood it would disturb someone not part of our group is low and he would quit playing if asked. Just want to know if it's allowed. TIA

I don't see it on the prohibited items list.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4090/kw/prohibited

Hi

It is usually the case that if nobody complains then there is no problem. It is always good to be considerate and aware if there is the possibility that someone may be disturbed. You don't mention how well this person plays...that often will influence others reaction. :D

Just wanted to mention that during the day there are very often many lounges or other types of venues that will be empty for hours at a time. Your friend would certainly be able to play in an area like that as well. If unsure at all just ask someone around or at guest services.

have a great cruise

We were on the Triumph last Thanksgiving and there was a teenage boy (probably around 13 or 14) who had a guitar. He held court in the elevator lobby on the 3rd floor every night around 8 or 9 for a small group of dedicated fans (other teens). Never saw anyone bother him and he did it for 5 nights. FYI, no one tipped him either. So tell your friend not to hold out hope for extra spending money.

Its addressed on this page: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDk4NjkxMjExL3NpZC9mVUs2cWxicW5PTTBLV19mY2hrTXZmd3ljbHdEcXhraGJZd0FaWW5ycW1GMXBSaDdkcllMU0VJOVhzdFV1OVFyVFJ6dE94OTlsN09GNFhDT05kcmZ2JTdFaHpVUDF6YVlSRldnVUNEVzhQbElZTndYOE9zaFdWZ09BQSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Specifically

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments on board, however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I haven't heard him myself but others have and say he's good. He's a good kid and I know he'll be considerate of others but as we have 3 aft balconies in row with them in the middle I don't think it would disturb anyone. He's not looking to make tips. He wants to surprise my daughter with a serenade on sail away. He's romantic like that. :-) I'm hoping he'll someday be my son in law. ;-) Yes parent likes the boyfriend (imagine that).

I haven't heard him myself but others have and say he's good. He's a good kid and I know he'll be considerate of others but as we have 3 aft balconies in row with them in the middle I don't think it would disturb anyone. He's not looking to make tips. He wants to surprise my daughter with a serenade on sail away. He's romantic like that. :-) I'm hoping he'll someday be my son in law. ;-) Yes parent likes the boyfriend (imagine that).

With their balcony location, it looks unlikely they will be a bother, unless it is in the middle of the night.

With their balcony location, it looks unlikely they will be a bother, unless it is in the middle of the night.

But are there balconies above or below him? I know I would not want to hear anyone playing an instrument while I am out there.

If he just wants to do 1 serenade...I would think that would be fine...just not every night or for hours if I am above or below :)

But are there balconies above or below him? I know I would not want to hear anyone playing an instrument while I am out there.

If he just wants to do 1 serenade...I would think that would be fine...just not every night or for hours if I am above or below :)

I don't think he plans on every night. He said he wanted to surprise *all* of us at sail away so I'm wondering if he doesn't have something else up his sleeve as well. They've been dating over 3 years now and he knows we all love him. :D

Save

I don't think he plans on every night. He said he wanted to surprise *all* of us at sail away so I'm wondering if he doesn't have something else up his sleeve as well. They've been dating over 3 years now and he knows we all love him. :D Save

I honestly doubt that it will be any issue at all. His singing and playing a ukulele will not likely be louder than people talking. Honestly you couldn't hear the kid on the Triumph unless you were in the elevator lobby or on the stairs at that level. I was surprised by him more than once because we didn't even hear him in corridor.

I honestly doubt that it will be any issue at all. His singing and playing a ukulele will not likely be louder than people talking. Honestly you couldn't hear the kid on the Triumph unless you were in the elevator lobby or on the stairs at that level. I was surprised by him more than once because we didn't even hear him in corridor.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Especially on sail away. Also, the aft balconies are cantilevered so they aren't directly on top of one another like they are on the sides of the ship so it's unlikely anyone above or below would hear either.

I don't want to be rude because everyone is entitled to like their own music, but I would hate to be accosted with ukulele playing when out on my balcony.

I think a better place for it would be one of the outside decks or public areas. That way if it is bothering anyone they can walk away or know exactly where the offending noise was coming from.

If he plays on his balcony and the surrounding balconies hear it, they might have a hard time discerning from whence the music is coming from therefore unable to register a complaint other than shouting out generally "please knock it off". Also I think the balconies are where people go when they want a little peace and quiet away from the crowds and noise. At least for us that is how we utilize our balcony. It is an oasis of peace and quiet.

I have been out on my balcony and smelled cigarette smoke and was unable to see anyone smoking. So all I could resort to was making loud comments of "there is no smoking allowed on the balcony!" And just hoping it was heard by the offending party. The same thing might come into play with a ukulele player. Others might not be able to discern who was doing it, as it is hard to see into the other balconies with the dividers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think he plans on every night. He said he wanted to surprise *all* of us at sail away so I'm wondering if he doesn't have something else up his sleeve as well. They've been dating over 3 years now and he knows we all love him. :D

Save

After your cruise I hope you come back on here and let us know how the surprise went!

After your cruise I hope you come back on here and let us know how the surprise went!

I'll let you know. :hearteyes:

And, I'll let him know to be mindful of other's peace. I enjoy the quiet solitude of my balcony as well. Trust me, he won't be out there all the time as I wouldn't like it either. I seriously think its going to be just the once for a short time at sail away. Just long enough for one song.

Aww so sweet!

My parents love my SO as well and are hoping for an engagement in the near future (as am I! haha). You'll have to keep us informed if there was an extra "surprise" up his sleeve! :D

My husband brought his guitar one time back in 2006. He was talking to the Lido deck band and they told him go get your guitar and come play with us. After he started playing the lady at the bar next to me (who happened to come from our home town) said they definitely sounded better after he started playing with them.

As long as he is respectful ( and it sounds like he is) you will be fine. Have a great time.

Candi

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I'm back to tell what the results were. He started playing shortly after sail away a song he wrote. He plays very well and it was actually quite fitting for the event. It was relaxing. Sort of like a Caribbean island theme song. They are engaged but he didn't propose with the ukulele. That was just the prelude. He did it in private so we didn't get it on video. :-( They plan on having a long engagement as they are waiting until they are both out of college. I'm glad for that but happy to have him as a future son in law. My daughter couldn't have chosen a better guy. I'm very proud of her. No one complained and I only heard him play that one time. If he played any other times I didn't know.