Poll About Airport Transfers To Ship Upon Arrival - All Lines/Itineraries

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:05 AM.
Madison, WI
453 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hoping to do a poll of folks who have taken varying itineraries with different companies. Curious to see how this varies.

Company:
Arrival Airport:
Arrival Ship Location:
Year of Trip:
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat?
How many people were with you on the transfer?
What sort of vehicle was provided?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
7/1/17 - Sensations of Southern France (Emerald Liberté)
11/17/18 - Splendors of Egypt & The Nile

Sailed:
12/20/15 - River Orchid & Vietnam/Cambodia land tour (blog)
09/07/14 - River Ambassador (review & blog)

Check out my travel blog: http://www.grosstravelchronicles.blogspot.com
Madison, WI
453 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I'll start with my answers and then provide the context as to why I'm asking the question

Company: Uniworld
Arrival Airport: Vienna
Arrival Ship Location: Vienna
Year of Trip: 2014
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? Maybe 25 minutes
How many people were with you on the transfer? About 8
What sort of vehicle was provided? 10-passenger van
----
Arrival Airport: Hanoi
Arrival Ship Location: Hanoi (hotel)
Year of Trip: 2015
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? 0 minutes. Instant, driver was waiting
How many people were with you on the transfer? Just us
What sort of vehicle was provided? Sedan
----
I just got our documents for our Emerald trip. We're flying into Nice (NCE) and meeting the boat in Arles, which is apparently a 2.5 hour drive. From what I can tell in the documents, the only transfer provided is at 2:00 p.m., and my travel agent is making me think it will be a coach transfer. Our flight arrives at 12:20 p.m., so we'll need to sit around in the small arrivals area until we're to meet the Emerald representative at 2:00 p.m. Looking at the flight schedule at NCE, other passengers could certainly be arriving at 9, 10, or 11 a.m.. I wonder if they're expected to sit around all day waiting for the transfer.

I realize this arrangement may be because of the distance from the airport to the docking location, but it's a big difference from what I was used to with Uniworld. I'm curious to know if others on a similar itinerary have had this transfer experience.

I'm now going to research if I'll be able to access any of the airside lounges upon arrival with my Priority Pass so we have a relatively calm place to spend our 90 minute wait.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Sailed:

Albany, NY
3,937 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Arrival Airport: Basel
Arrival Ship Location: Basel
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? 10-15 minutes
How many people were with you on the transfer? maybe 6-8
What sort of vehicle was provided? Bus (coach)

Arrival Airport: Delhi
Arrival Ship Location: NA (Kolkata, but a week later)
Year of Trip: 2017
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? None; drivers were waiting
How many people were with you on the transfer? just us
What sort of vehicle was provided? BMW 7-series (Transfer was by Oberoi Hotel on Uniworld's behalf).

For our other two Uniworld cruises we did not use the included transfers upon arrival.

Ewizabeff, why are you flying into Nice and not Marseilles? Nice is so far from Arles. Marseilles would be about an hour's drive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)

Future bookings:

Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017

Past:

River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013(flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...
Madison, WI
453 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Because the itinerary said to fly into Nice, the travel agent (who I will never us again) didn't mention Marseille as an option until well after I booked the air, and all the Emerald literature said Nice. I knew nothing about this area when I booked and didn't think to look for an alternate airport. I learned later on from the TA that they also offer transfers from Marseille, but this was not in the literature or on the website.

As you know, I usually research itineraries extensively before I book them. I considered this one for all of 3 hours when a friend from a past cruise emailed to tell me he got a great group deal we could join (it is a great deal).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Sailed:

Jacksonville, FL USA
47,877 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by ewizabeff
Hoping to do a poll of folks who have taken varying itineraries with different companies. Curious to see how this varies.

Company:
Arrival Airport:
Arrival Ship Location:
Year of Trip:
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat?
How many people were with you on the transfer?
What sort of vehicle was provided?
Airport AMS
Ship Location? Downtown
Year 2016
I did not take a transfer......got a cab from the airport to the hotel
I did use the transfer at the end of the cruise though....it was great....me and 1 other couple
were taken from the ship to the airport in a bus

This was on AMA Waterways..........out of Amsterdam.
FL
14,264 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Company: AMA
Year of Trip: 2012
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? 10-15 minutes
How many people were with you on the transfer? 11 all in our group traveling together from Berlin
What sort of vehicle was provided? Van

Company:AMA
How many people were with you on the transfer? Private
What sort of vehicle was provided? Sedan

Company: AMA
Arrival Airport: Porto
Arrival Ship Location: rto
Year of Trip: 2016

Company: Scenic
Arrival Airport: Bordeaux
Arrival Ship Location: Bordeaux
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Crystal Esprit, February 2018

AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017
Canada
478 Posts
Joined Oct 2012

We're flying into Nice (NCE) and meeting the boat in Arles, which is apparently a 2.5 hour drive...
Hello Ewizabeff,
I am nit going to be much help but I thought I would share with you the following: I created a land-tour for my husband and I and another couple with the help of "my boyfriend" Rick Steve's (we never met but he is my boyfriend!). I should explain he us a famous American author that has been travelling to Europe for over 40 years. I just love him, we travel exactly like him...

We drove from a Paris to Normandy, to Mont-St. Michel, to Le Loire, to Sarlat (Dordogne), to Carcassonne, to Arles then Nice. All places were small except Paris and Nice. Sarlat was the highlight (canoeing in the Dordogne river). Arles was also GREAT. From Arles, we visited "Pont du gard", Orange, Avignon (sur le pont d'Avignon, on y danse, on y danse, sur le pont d'Avignon, on y danse tout en rond).
It is really too bad you are not arriving at least 4 days before your cruise to discover Nice and area. It is very nice, particularly Antibes. You don't need a car in Nice...

Have a wonderful cruise.
The Canadians!
Nashville, Tennessee USA
869 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Company: Avalon
Arrival Airport: Paris
Arrival Ship Location: Paris hotel
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? 45 minutes--waiting for two other couples arriving about the same time. We were met almost immediately as we left passport control.
How many people were with you on the transfer? 6 total including us
What sort of vehicle was provided? full sized bus

Company: Avalon
Arrival Airport: Nice
Arrival Ship Location: Cannes/Arles
Year of Trip: 2017
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? 30 minutes--driver and host were waiting for us, but we had to wait for two other couples who had checked luggage--we just had carry on. Trip to Cannes was about 30 minutes.
How many people were with you on the transfer? 6 total including us
What sort of vehicle was provided? small bus/large van.

Our situation in Nice was different since we spent a night in Cannes before being bused to the ship in Arles. Interestingly, Avalon had it set up so that the same buses that carried us to Arles had just deposited passengers at the hotel who had completed a southbound trip on the Rhone.

Don't remember all the details on 3 Viking cruises (arrivals in Paris, Budapest, and Amsterdam), but we were always met promptly in arrivals area. I don't think that we ever waited over an hour.

For the Rhone cruise, if I had it to do over again, I would have done the cruise only portion of the trip, flown into Paris and taken the train to Arles. Cruise ships dock a couple of blocks from the train station. Also, if you need to pick up any last minute snacks (I needed Diet Cokes for the week), there's a Monoprix very close to the docking area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FuelScience

2017: Burgundy & Provence, Avalon Poetry II (April)
2016: Canals, Vineyards, and Paris, Avalon Affinity II
2015: Switzerland & the Heart of the Rhine & Moselle, Vantage River Navigator
2014: Tulips & Windmills, Viking Atla
2013: Romantic Danube, Viking MS Vienna (leased)
2012: Cities of Light, Viking Sky

Madison, WI
453 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Thanks everyone that has contributed - most of these answers seem to confirm that my past experience was standard. Having a scheduled 1 hour 40 min wait between landing and transfer is a bit annoying to me.

Just checked the website and Emerald is still advising all travelers fly to Nice rather than Marseille.

Cashmere - I'm very familiar with your "boyfriend." I read his guides before any trip. He'd be my Uncle Rick. We have limited vacation time, so adding time in Nice is not an option for us. We will, however, be doing 4 nights in Paris post-cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Sailed:

Here and There
441 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Arrival Airport: Schipol
Arrival Ship Location: Amsterdam
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport post baggage claim and customs and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? Immediately upon clearing Customs
How many people were with you on the transfer? 10 or fewer
What sort of vehicle was provided? Coach

Will be on a Tauck Budapest to Amsterdam cruise later this year and will be arriving 2 days early in Buda. and staying 2 days longer in Ams.. I'm not using Tauck hotel package but they have still agreed to the airport transfers! I would assume we'll be in a van or car. Has anyone had a similar experience with Tauck?
England
682 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Five completed tours with Scenic three air and two Eurostar, transport in all cases was waiting for us, some car a couple were people carriers. No hold ups no fuss. Limo collection us at 6 tomorrow morning fingers crossed for no challenges, at least it should be cooler at that time of the morning. CA
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailing 19.06.2017 Scenic, Jewels of Europe.
Nashville, Tennessee USA
869 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Thanks everyone that has contributed - most of these answers seem to confirm that my past experience was standard. Having a scheduled 1 hour 40 min wait between landing and transfer is a bit annoying to me.
Hopefully the time will go quickly. By the time you get through passport control and get your luggage it shouldn't be too bad. I'm anxious to hear how Emerald compares to Uniworld!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FuelScience

2017: Burgundy & Provence, Avalon Poetry II (April)
2016: Canals, Vineyards, and Paris, Avalon Affinity II
2015: Switzerland & the Heart of the Rhine & Moselle, Vantage River Navigator
2014: Tulips & Windmills, Viking Atla
2013: Romantic Danube, Viking MS Vienna (leased)
2012: Cities of Light, Viking Sky

Toronto, Ottawa Valley ON, and Dunedin FL
14,123 Posts
Joined May 2001
Arrival Airport: Cairo
Arrival Ship Location: Four Seasons Cairo for pre-cruise portion (ship was boarded in Luxor after another plane flight)
Year of Trip: 2015
How long was the wait in between your arrival at the airport and the time you boarded your transfer to the boat? Was met in arrival lounge, got visas, cleared immigration and we were off.
How many people were with you on the transfer? just 2
What sort of vehicle was provided? minivan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
⚓ Upcoming Cruises:
Paul Gaugin Cook Islands & Society Islands, October 2017

Azamara Journey, Norwegian Fjords, Edinburgh - Copenhagen, July 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014