I use a walker & I can't get a disabled cabin

billy10

Thank you everyone for your replies I went through a travel agent he said one might come available closer to final payment if not I can cancel if I want to can't call celebrity because I booked with an agent

I have called and talked to X even when I book through an agent. There are some things they can still help with. Also, you should get in touch with the Special Needs department - I think they call it the Access Dept. now. Discuss with them what you need and what they can do for you. Maybe they even have a special wait list for HA cabins? I have gotten shower chairs before, and they are a blessing and a curse - nowhere to put it when the non-mobility impaired person showers.

Sorry, totally disagree, a walker won't fit between the cabin wall and the end of the bed, nor between the bedside closest to the wall and the wall, and some won't pass through the bathroom door.

I think you are confusing staterooms. The reply you commented on was about an accessible stateroom. And a walker will fit there!

Booked one for our parents (mum uses a walker) and they had a dance floor... lots of room. Even the balcony door is made with a ramp.

I think you are confusing staterooms. The reply you commented on was about an accessible stateroom. And a walker will fit there!

Booked one for our parents (mum uses a walker) and they had a dance floor... lots of room. Even the balcony door is made with a ramp.

Um no, the quote I replied to said "a normal cabin" an accessible cabin is fine a normal cabin isn't.

Originally posted by cb at sea Yes, you will be fine in a normal cabin. The HC cabins are set up for wheelchairs and turning radius that they need. With a walker, you'll be fine.

Um no, the quote I replied to said "a normal cabin" an accessible cabin is fine a normal cabin isn't.

You are correct! Now the previous answer even confused me :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Accessible stateroom will be fine for a walker. Regular stateroom - never!

You are correct! Now the previous answer even confused me :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Accessible stateroom will be fine for a walker. Regular stateroom - never!

I've had to use one in an ordinary balcony cabin, had an accident the day before we left, it just doesn't work, there isn't enough room.

I'm curious as to why you say not to ask your travel agent this question?

I'm sure a travel agent could talk with Celebrity about the room layouts, but that is one extra layer of people. I want to hear it straight from a celebrity representitive- so that when I board they can't try to blame the travel agent. The room layout- as I've said before is poor. I've been in both types of cabin- one with the bed by the main door and one with the bed by the balcony door. The one closer to the balcony door is better- makes it easier to walk around. (but the coffee table is a pain in the neck either way).

Personally- If I had a walker, I'd prefer to have an outside cabin with twin beds on either side of the window. That way there is plenty of floor space to turn around.

I've had to use one in an ordinary balcony cabin, had an accident the day before we left, it just doesn't work, there isn't enough room.

So we are saying the same thing. A walker will never work in a regular stateroom!

I'm sure a travel agent could talk with Celebrity about the room layouts, but that is one extra layer of people.

My TA can see in her reservation system which are "bed near door" or "bed near balcony" so no need for her to call Celebrity.

We happen to prefer "bed near door" and that's what we've gotten each time. But I do understand what you mean about the blame game, they do seem to like to pass the buck.

We are on that cruise too and it seems to be booked except for lower cabins.I use a walker too and since my experiences in the handicapped room on the Summit I am okay with a regular cabin. The only saving grace on the handicapped cabin was being able to go to the special restaurant, Luminae. It was supposed to be a suite, but we rarely saw the butler and only once did we ask for an afternoon snack and he forgot. The toilet was Okay but the shower was so slippery that I used it once and from then on hand washed every morning.I asked for a mat but they told me to use slippers. The balcony was very small. The thresh hold into the bathroom kept lifting up. Taking all this into consideration, I think we are better off in a regular cabin. :mad:

To the OP - I just checked inventory and they following catgories have available ADA accessible rooms:

A2 AquaClass Balcony - 1524

08 Oceanview - 3103, 3104

09 Interior - 9196, 9202, 9206

10 Interior - 8164, 8170

If you are booked in a category that has ADA accessible rooms in it you can have your TA contact Celebrity and they can waitlist the rooms for you

We are mobile but we always move the coffee table....with bed by bath we put it between the veranda door and sofa and with bed by balcony, we slide it partially under the vanity. I agree it is a pain in the neck in terms of moving around the cabin easily.

If one is unable to lift the coffee table, it is very easy to slide to where it is most convenient for you.

upward U.K,

That is not a walker it is a small scooter.

I am handicapped and use a scooter or walker. I have taken over 30 cruises and a walker doesn't work in a regular cabin. The 4" step into the bathroom, can 't get into it, getting to the balcony with a walker is hard. It doesn't matter where the bed is, with a walker you can't get to the top of the bed.

Don't get me started on people that book handicapped cabins and aren't handicapped.

It is wrong, there are only a minimal amount of ADA cabins, so many more of other categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for looking up cabins for me we are in a c3 balcony my agent told me about the aqua class cabin but there was a big price difference

Have your TA call Celebrity's Guest access department and request to be waitlisted for ALL 4 category C3 ADA accessible cabins. If someone cancels then you would be auto-moved to the waitlisted room. General res can only do 1 room, but I have had the guest access team waitlist more than one room due to the limited availability of these cabins

My DH and I have sailed on the S class ships since 2012 with both a rolling walker and a small mobility scooter. In the last 5 sailing, I have had 2 HC Cabins, plus 2 regular balconies and an Inside regular. I never had a problem storing my rollator behind the drapes near the balcony and my scooter on / at the end of the desk. You won't have a problem. Actually, the inside non he was the best layout and most spacious.

upward U.K,

That is not a walker it is a small scooter.

I am handicapped and use a scooter or walker. I have taken over 30 cruises and a walker doesn't work in a regular cabin. The 4" step into the bathroom, can 't get into it, getting to the balcony with a walker is hard. It doesn't matter where the bed is, with a walker you can't get to the top of the bed.

Don't get me started on people that book handicapped cabins and aren't handicapped.

It is wrong, there are only a minimal amount of ADA cabins, so many more of other categories.

In order to book a HC cabin all cruise lines require a form signed by a dr attesting to their disability. How does a non HC person book one of these cabins without documentation?

Not all cruise lines require a form. I have sailed on Carnival, Princess, Royal, Norwegian, Holland and Celebrity. One or two ask when you book to affirm you are handicapped and if they find out your not they move you from the room. One asked me to fill out a form saying I was handicapped and the others didn't ask for anything. Not one asked for a doctors note. Legally they can't ask for that.

In order to book a HC cabin all cruise lines require a form signed by a dr attesting to their disability. How does a non HC person book one of these cabins without documentation?

While that might be true in an ideal world, it simply isn't the case for all cruise lines.

I use a walker and have wheelchair assistance to and from port docks. I do not need the walker in the room as there is plenty to hold onto as I make my way around. I can see you needing a special room for a wheelchair. We rent a 'scooter' to be placed in our room prior to sailing, as I cannot walk for any length of time to get to buffet, etc., due to heart condition, so the scooter is a must. The company picks up the scooter after we disembark.

Has anyone used a walker in a regular balcony cabin on S class ships ? Can I get by the bed with a Walker? Seems all disabled cabins are taken

I have found that a lot of non-handicapped people book handicap cabins.

If you get a letter from your doctor and bring it with you on the ship you should be able to get a handicapped cabin.

Though the most cruise lines require any individual booking an Accessible cabin complete a Special Needs Form , a Doctor is not required to sign the form nor is a passenger required to obtain a letter from a Doctor attesting to one's disability.

No where on Celebrity's Special Needs Form does it require a Doctor's signature nor does it ask for a letter to be attached by Doctor. Check for yourself lhttps://secure.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-special-needs-form

For both RCCL and Celebrity the attestation for such cabin is done by that passenger during the on-line check-in process by checking a box certifying that an individual booked in that cabin has a mobility disorder and or other disability that requires the features available in an accessible cabin. That box only appears in the on-line check-in process if it's an accessible cabin.

How does a non HC person book one of these cabins without documentation? They falsified information required on the Special Needs Form.

Note though if it's determined by the cruise line that the individual(s) falsely attested to the need for an accessible cabin the cruise line removed them from that cabin during the cruise as well as black list them for any future cruises. Case in point there was an incident that an individual barged at dinner how they always book an accessible for the space because they didn't want to pay the price for a non accessible suite. Well they should have looked at their fellow dinners closers as there 2 individuals at the same table both disabled. To add further insult one of the individual was not to get an accessible . The other table mates reported the matter to guest services and the couple bragging about it never returned to the table the rest of the cruise.

Not all cruise lines require a form. I have sailed on Carnival, Princess, Royal, Norwegian, Holland and Celebrity. One or two ask when you book to affirm you are handicapped and if they find out your not they move you from the room. One asked me to fill out a form saying I was handicapped and the others didn't ask for anything. Not one asked for a doctors note. Legally they can't ask for that.

All but NCL requires a special needs form completed. :

Celebrity https://secure.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-special-needs-form

RCCL https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Princess https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess-Mobility-Questionnaire.pdf

HAL https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-planning/SRI_Form.pdf

Carnival https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/special-requirements-information-form-pdf.ashx

NCL does not have a form but does state on it's website " Please make every effort to contact our Access Desk well in advance of your cruise – at least 90 days for interpreters and 30 days for all other requirements"

I know about these forms and have filled all of them out. If you read each of them they only ask what accommodations you need, Wheelchair, hearing impaired appliances, raised toilet seat,etc.

Not one asks for a physician's signature. Legally they can't ask for one.

Believe me I have been cruising with a disability for 10 years.

Has anyone used a walker in a regular balcony cabin on S class ships ? Can I get by the bed with a Walker? Seems all disabled cabins are taken

I do not know what ship or cruise you are on but you might want to checkout Pilgram70's post - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511130. He booked a disabled cabin even though he did not need one just because it was less expensive than a comparable normal cabin. Several of us have told him what we think of doing that although we are not affected by his decision. You can give him your opinion from one who is affected.

DON

If you get a letter from your doctor and bring it with you on the ship you should be able to get a handicapped cabin.

I don't believe this is true. If there are no handicapped cabins available, they are not going to move one person that needs it to accomodate another passenger who didn't book a handicap cabin, just because they have a letter from their doctor. One should not play the odds thinking that someone who didn't need a handicap cabin booked it.