Political Instability N Korea, Asia, Pacific

lizinvan

Thailand is safe. Like always though, you have to be aware of your surrounding and not do anything silly. We have spent three of the last four winters travelling in Thailand. We booked our first trip on a whim-ten days out. There was strife in Bangkok at the time. Demonstrations, red shirts. News reports were not good. Then we got in touch with an American expat blogger who gave us accurate info as opposed to the CNN hysteria. We had a wonderful trip. Yes, we saw a few redshirts demonstrating at a bridge by our hotel. But we never saw any on our month long trip through the country. Not much difference than our experience in Greece during their demonstrations. We are going back again in January as part of our winter sojurrn.

LIkewise, we have never experiences issues or challenges in Cambodia, Vietnam,or Malaysia. Going to Philippines for a month. Some bad press but the locals and those familiar are giving us great info as to where to focus our travels.

We did 3 days in Hong Kong and then a great Mekong river cruise with Vantage on a delightful ship (not sure they are chartering from same company this year)... There were no instances when we felt unsafe. Wandered about in Hong Kong by ourselves quite a bit and some in Phnom Penh, Saigon and Hanoi. It was a great trip!! BUT if you have an opportunity do the Irrawaddy River before the area become saturated with tourist and the wonderful people loose some of their genuine hospitality!

Two winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent two months working our way through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam

Never felt unsafe for a moment...especially late at night in Hanoi, Saigon, on Phom Phen.

Three winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent two months going south down the coast. Through Malaysia, then to Australia. We never felt unsafe.

Four winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent a month travelling through Thailand. Again. No issues, we never felt unsafe.

All independent travel. Air, buses, trains ferries etc. No problem, everyone extremely friendly, Bo safety issues. That is why we are going back this winter. Wonderful people, great beaches, interesting sights, fabulous (and healthy) food.

Highly recommend this part of the world. It really does open your eyes to many different things.

Now NK is firing missles *over* Japan. Yowza. Still not canceling my trip unless and until the State Dept warns its citizens from traveling to Japan; or bans its citizens from travel to Japan--unlikely; but in that case, my decision will have been made for me. Boy would I be pissed. I fly to Japan first, then onward to Maui. If it were the other way round, I might be able to salvage some of the trip. Interesting to discuss, but again, not canceling. If Tokyo goes *poof* while I'm there, at least I won't have to worry about the performance of my 401k. :-) The world itself would be in a world of hurt at that point anyhow. Cooler heads, or random chance, should prevail.

Two winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent two months working our way through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Never felt unsafe for a moment...especially late at night in Hanoi, Saigon, on Phom Phen. Three winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent two months going south down the coast. Through Malaysia, then to Australia. We never felt unsafe. Four winters ago we started in Bangkok and spent a month travelling through Thailand. Again. No issues, we never felt unsafe. Highly recommend this part of the world. It really does open your eyes to many different things.

Appreciate ALL of these great comments and follow-ups. Yes, very helpful and enlightening. Glad to read these detailed background info items. Keep up the great sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Corrections - there are no recent, major demonstrations or civil unrest in HKG (unlike 2014 - where many of the "troublemaking" leaders for independence finally faced justice, getting short prison terms instead of just doing community service ... to the cheers of the majority, local citizens). HK reverted - returned to China 20 years ago, on July 1, 1997. Please cite source for claims of any recent protests. :rolleyes:

The new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal (formerly old HKG airport) continued to see more cruise ship traffic ,,, one of my older (retired) cousin just sailed on Royal's VOS several days ago among a small group of 8 friends to Vietnam.

Thailand has its shared of unrest due to military governance, threats & dangers to visitors & foreigners aren't specific nor targeted - situational awareness are advised. One can always stay onboard the ship while docked ... don't many do that while visiting Nassau, Bahamas. (Or, how about recent US advisories about travel to Mexico ...)

Still, historic landmark & religious sites in Thai remained popular with tourists, especially travelers from other parts of Asia.

Vietnam ports as a whole are welcoming the mighty tourist dollars (and Euro, pounds, RMB, etc.) - cautions are merely for the usual tourist "traps" and know how to negotiate & bargain prices while shopping.

Myanmar (Burma) is experiencing unrest lately, largely due to internal religious conflicts but it is less frequented by cruise ship passengers.

South Korean's ordinary citizens have been living with unrest and remained, technically at war, with NK for the last 75 years - and, continue to live, work & play ... business as usual. They've lost their Won against Chinese tourism, especially from duty-free shoppers when Beijing imposed restrictions & bans, no thanks to the U.S.

One of the key is to blend and mix in among the locals, not easy if one looked obviously different but unwise to wear clothing or baseball caps to loudly annouce one's nationality and/or favorite sports team traveling abroad, i.e. NY Yankees.

Major demonstration in Hong Kong, November 6, 2016 protesters moved on with tear gas.

Let's see. The western Pacific Ocean is an expanse of 100's of thousands of square miles.

A cruise ship has a footprint of a few hundred square yards.

A North Korean ICBM is 60 feet long and 4 feet in diameter.

Question: Even if missiles are flying in that area, what are the odds of a ship being hit by one at sea?

Answer: 0.000

Question: If the North Koreans actually aim one of their missiles at a cruise ship in the Western Pacific Ocean, what are the odds of being hit?

Answer: 0.000001

Even though as I said earlier, it wouldn't put me off, you're not always sailing. i.e. your ship could be in Yokahama port the same day an attack hit Tokyo, so it's not 'risk-free' as implied by the above.

Interesting!

Could you provide a link to where this information came from? Is it from a news report? Announcement from a cruise line? Statement from the Chinese government?

HAL Volendam and Amsterdam are no longer going to South Korea this fall on the way to Beijing and Shanghai and this is the reason given.

If you google you will find newspaper reports from last March.

On ships instructed by the mainland Chinese (PRC) authorities to skip or bypass ports in South Korea, that policy has been in effect since this March - mostly related to economic/trade dispute between China & SK tied to U.S. intervention & deployment of defense systems in/around Seoul - as a form of "punishment" ^ trade sanctions against SK businesses, especially duty-free purchases by Chinese travelers.

It applies to cruiselines with ongoing homeport operations on mainland China, affecting Carnival and RCI & Norwegian which also has its newest ship, the Joy at Tianjin (Beijing) & Shanghai. This is where PRC has leverage as these ships would then not be allowed to use mainland homeports - not necessary, IMHO, directly related to threats and security, but more of geo-political-economic tension.

http://gcaptain.com/cruise-giants-skip-south-korea-amid-missile-defense-system-deployment/

If there is a newer guidance and/or official restrictions, I have not come across it. Ships that sailed from or making port calls in Hong Kong are not affected as it has its own SAR system (Special Administrative Region) and free trade/open port policies ... visa free for most travelers on stays of up to 1 month or longer, including U.S. citizens.