Favorite Food

chloe kitty

I never miss schnitzel when it's served at lunch in the Lido.

I also like the bran muffins in the Lido at breakfast (they may be the same muffins available in the Dining Room/Room Service, but I only eat breakfast in the Lido).

I like the wafer cookies that come with the ice cream desserts in the Dining Room, and always ask for extra -- often the waiters will bring me 5 or 6 cookies. Though I doubt the wafer cookies are made on board.

In the Dining Room, I am more likely to get excited about side dishes -- the kitchens usually do a great job with the little bits to round out the plates. One time neither my brother nor I could not find anything we liked for dinner, and the waiters asked us what we wanted and we told them what we really wanted as a plate of the side dishes offered with the mains that night. The waiters whisked away our hardly touched main course plates and bought use plates of only the assorted side dishes we had requested.

Ohh, and the Challah/Brioche loaf (I'm not sure which it is) in the Lido at Breakfast/Lunch is great.

Escargot, prime rib, Crab's Legs, the wonderful salads, 'sexy' buns (raisin) at breakfast, made to order omelets and sandwiches and paninis, anitpasto to name just a few:) Many adore the bread pudding in the Lido.:D

and of course, the fresh squeezed orange juice just makes my mornings!

I've only been on HAL's Rotterdam, but loved the Room service Chocolate Croissants with coffee on the balcony...ahhh.

And yes, I also loved the Bread Pudding in the Lido. Can't wait for that- do all the ships still have daily bread Pudding? Specifically the Veendam?

Escargot!! :D

DSC09919.jpg

YES!!!! My favorite also. The chocolate purse was my favorite dessert from the last cruise. A few other favorites are the crab cakes, and Penne Alla Vodka, and Madagascar dessert in the Canaletto.

I don't much care about the escargot but just look at that photo of the table setting!!!!

That is one of the things that defines HAL dining for us.

No matter what they serve has to taste better when served on such a beautifully set table. :)

**** Darn, for some reason I can't copy the photo into my post. I tried "quote" and "post reply" but the photo didn't show up. I even tried copy and paste.

I loved the orange juice and the pineapple juice in the Lido at breakfast time. Not excited about the chocolate croissants.

The lemonade and the iced tea have become my replacement drinks instead of coke while on board. Coke in Europe just isn't the same.

Dh and I absolutely loved anything that was braised in the MDR for dinner.

Nachos and melted cheese from the Terrace grill beside the Lido pool.

Chocolate chip cookies from the ice cream station. I think I had ice cream once in 20 days in Europe.

The Greek salad in the MDR.

Amazed that neither dh or myself gained any weight on the 20 day cruise.

YES!!!! My favorite also. The chocolate purse was my favorite dessert from the last cruise. A few other favorites are the crab cakes, and Penne Alla Vodka, and Madagascar dessert in the Canaletto.

Oh yes, the crab cakes!! I got the recipe at one of the cooking demonstrations and have made them several times. Yum!

Not excited about the chocolate croissants.

Neither am I. But if you ever find yourself at breakfast in the Lido on the Prinsendam, give them another try. They are the best! The Prinsendam keeps the chocolate croissants under a heat lamp, so the chocolate stays soft and yummy. So much better than that hard bar of chocolate in the crossants on the other ships.

Got to agree with Ruth C. The chilled soups are great, especially the sweet ones which are my absolute favorite; and someday I'm going to order another bowl for my dessert. The vichy soise is also very good, but the gazpacho a little less.

For appetizers I really love prosciutto with honeydew/cantaloupe.

Escargot, prime rib, Crab's Legs, the wonderful salads, 'sexy' buns (raisin) at breakfast, made to order omelets and sandwiches and paninis, anitpasto to name just a few:) Many adore the bread pudding in the Lido.:D

and of course, the fresh squeezed orange juice just makes my mornings!

King Crab Legs as you remember them are not available this year.

They make crab cakes out of them :mad: Head chef told me it's because of poor crabbing season last year. I didn't believe him for a minute - just HAL being cheap. You can find them in greater Vancouver for a reasonable price - so much for his story about a poor season. Wish they wouldn't lie like that. I love the escargo.:)

Bread pudding, chocolate chip cookies, eggs benedict, escargot, Steak Diane in the Pinnacle, liver and onions, crab cakes and the fresh dinner breads & rolls. Yummmm. Making ourselves hungry and we don't get on a HAL ship until 9/22/12.

Jane and Gary

Archived