Bad Cabin Choice??

Brosiesmom

I am going on my first cruise this April and my cabin is R516 on the Crown. After reading several posts it looks like this was a very bad choice (although when I booked there were only a couple of cabins left). :( Has anyone else had this cabin and how bad was the noise? Also, is the balcony very small?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Welcome to CC Brosiesmom. We almost always have our cabins on the Caribe deck which is very quiet. I think you will get mixed opinions on the levels of noise you will experience. Most noise is generated during the daytime when you will probably be out of the cabin. It appears that you will be below a row of deck loungers so the activity there would seem to be limited. It also may be more quiet simply because there will be fewer kids running amok in April than the summer months.:p

I hope your first cruise experince is a good one.

Larry

We stayed on the Riviera deck on the Caribbean Princess and never found noise to be a problem. The size of balcony was also fine for us!

It really depends on your location. If you have an area above with lots of early morning & late night traffic it can mean a big difference.

I'm going to steal from a phrase relating to another subject which shall not be discussed on this forum. Some members may recognize it though ...

The best cabin for your cruise is the one you've already booked.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am going on my first cruise this April and my cabin is R516 on the Crown. After reading several posts it looks like this was a very bad choice (although when I booked there were only a couple of cabins left). :( Has anyone else had this cabin and how bad was the noise? Also, is the balcony very small?

I can only reply re our experience. We had R334. The noise was horrible. Starting at about 5am the dragging of lounge chairs across the deck began. This was followed by constant running. Getting this cabin on a guarantee cured us from ever going with a guarantee ever again. But I'm sure you will find lots of folks who love the Riviera deck. Only you will know for sure. Balcony is the same as all decks except Caribe.

There are many reports of terrible noise on the Riviera deck. I would book another cabin if you can. I stayed underneath the Lido deck on one cruise and I wish someone had warned me. I was right under the buffet and could not sleep past 4:00 a.m. due to the preparation of the breakfast service. I have never stayed under the Lido deck again. If you are booking a balcony cabin, I recommend the Caribe deck because the balconies are twice as large and you have cabins above and below you so it will be quiet.

Stayed in R621 on the Crown twice and loved the location. Heard "some" noise early in the morning (6am ish) from above but that was it. A noisy neighbor on our 1st trip was more bothersome.

Next trip on Ruby we are the last cabin on caribe as recommended by a cc member for a change of pace.

I am not a light sleeper and was bothered by noise a few times in R615 on the Caribbean Princess, especially early morning with chairs being dragged across the deck. This was a guarantee booking. I booked another cruise guarantee on the Caribbean and ended up on the Riviera deck again, eventually cancelling that cruise.

I'm finding when booking guarantee regardless of category or ship, I end up on the deck right underneath the outside deck. I'm not booking guarantee anymore as it's really no a good deal for me.

I can only reply re our experience. We had R334. The noise was horrible. Starting at about 5am the dragging of lounge chairs across the deck began. This was followed by constant running. Getting this cabin on a guarantee cured us from ever going with a guarantee ever again. But I'm sure you will find lots of folks who love the Riviera deck. Only you will know for sure. Balcony is the same as all decks except Caribe.

I second that.

Cabins right under a pool deck or right above a cocktail lounge are one reason I always specify No Upgrades on my reservation. Their idea of an upgrade and mine are not the same.

Experience is a good teacher and although it's not totally foolproof for me, the ideal cabin is one with passengers above, below, and across the hall.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a person on this board that recently got upgraded to a suite on the Riviera deck that was so discussed with the noise that they would have accepted an inside cabin if it had been available.

Thanks for the information. We are going to keep our R400 suite reservations. Happy Travels.

What dates will you be on the crown? We're sailing April 15

Your cabin is directly beneath the Horizon Court which is carpeted. You won't hear the same noise as the cabins beneath open deck. You are also not directly beneath the food prep or serving areas. You might hear noise but I don't think it'll be as bad as under the deck.

Always look at the deck plans of the ship you wish to cruise on.

Make a pretend booking on the Princess web site.

When it shows you cabin availability for the kind of cabin you wont check with the deck plans first. Then you can't go wrong.

It is always a gamble to guarantee a cabin you could win, or loose out to a bad position .

Your cabin is directly beneath the Horizon Court which is carpeted. You won't hear the same noise as the cabins beneath open deck. You are also not directly beneath the food prep or serving areas. You might hear noise but I don't think it'll be as bad as under the deck.

I think R516 is under the deck area of the Calypso Pool

Here is a really great website for deck plans...it is easy to read and understand and you can flip from one deck to another to see what is above or below.

cruisedeckplans.com

To the OP...enjoy your first cruise and hopefully there will be many more to follow.

Archived