Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Hi there-

We're booked on the Legend of the Seas (11 days cruise ending at Stockholm) and will be docked at Stockholm on June 28 (stay over) and then disembark on June 29, 2014. I'm having trouble finding out where in Stockholm we will be docked (someone on CC roll call mentioned Frihamnen). I need to know what kind of public transportation there might be to get us from the dock to Gamla Stan.

Second, I need some suggestions for where to stay on June 29 that would be convenient to see a little more of Stockholm and afford easy transportation (public preferably) to the airport ARN on June 30 morning (flight at 10am). We've been to Stockholm just once (a beautiful city) 7 years ago, but we took the train to Copenhagen then. This time we'll be flying out of Stockholm and would like to situate ourselves for the flight out.

Thanks for your help!

-Victor

Hello!

You are right the ship vill dock at Frihamnen. Just take bus 76 from Frihamnen which goes directly to Gamla Stan, just remember to buy the ticket before you get on the bus because the driver does not sell tickets.

I usually take the train to the airport, it is quite expensive but fast and convenient, they also usually have some discounts during summer https://www.arlandaexpress.com/.

One can also take the bus which is cheaper but takes longer http://www.flygbussarna.se/en

Hi there-

We're booked on the Legend of the Seas (11 days cruise ending at Stockholm) and will be docked at Stockholm on June 28 (stay over) and then disembark on June 29, 2014. I'm having trouble finding out where in Stockholm we will be docked (someone on CC roll call mentioned Frihamnen). I need to know what kind of public transportation there might be to get us from the dock to Gamla Stan.

Second, I need some suggestions for where to stay on June 29 that would be convenient to see a little more of Stockholm and afford easy transportation (public preferably) to the airport ARN on June 30 morning (flight at 10am). We've been to Stockholm just once (a beautiful city) 7 years ago, but we took the train to Copenhagen then. This time we'll be flying out of Stockholm and would like to situate ourselves for the flight out.

Thanks for your help!

-Victor

Some hotel recommendations in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41188508&postcount=1548

There also other hotels closer to the central station, hotels such as Radisson Blu and Sheraton Stockholm.

These are the hotels I know of that are relatively close to the central station.

There are some constructions going on around Centralstation l for a new railway tunnel but I don't much how much it affects the surrounding area noise wise.

The hotels locations on google maps, A is the entrance to Central station and H is the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Centralplan,+Stockholm,+Sverige&daddr=Radisson+Blu+Royal+Viking+Hotel+Stockholm,+Vasagatan,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Sheraton+Stockholm+Hotel,+Tegelbacken,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rex+Hotel,+Luntmakargatan,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotels,+Rica+Hotels,+Kungsgatan+47,+111+56+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotel+Stockholm,+Rica+Hotel+Stockholm,+Sl%C3%B6jdgatan+7,+111+57+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotel+Gamla+Stan,+Rica+Hotel+Gamla+Stan,+Lilla+Nygatan+25,+111+28+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Slottsbacken+2,+Stockholm,+Sverige&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.331942,18.066373&spn=0.02016,0.066047&sll=59.326217,18.074924&sspn=0.003564,0.008256&geocode=FaxOiQMdwZATASnzbMV-YJ1fRjGWSMVDAArCyw%3BFWRTiQMdhYsTASHVkcFAfK_ADClVvjaMYJ1fRjHVkcFAfK_ADA%3BFXtKiQMdA5oTASHbY2uueXH4SCllKIq9X51fRjHbY2uueXH4SA%3BFWl6iQMd5pATASF0Ccf-xpAI3CktAR9xaJ1fRjF0Ccf-xpAI3A%3BFaVgiQMdr5YTASn5rvYftb1RRjFeSzN3vdHfeA%3BFRBdiQMdR5wTASmTM8_5XZ1fRjEvc-PlWRoYCw%3BFbYyiQMdobkTASltuKEB43dfRjGykHXNNojfuw%3BFeE8iQMdTMATASmtNduA4ndfRjGWkIsomNldjw&oq=Slottsbacken+2,+Stockholm,+Sverige&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15

Edited by Desdichado62

Hello!

You are right the ship vill dock at Frihamnen. Just take bus 76 from Frihamnen which goes directly to Gamla Stan, just remember to buy the ticket before you get on the bus because the driver does not sell tickets.

I usually take the train to the airport, it is quite expensive but fast and convenient, they also usually have some discounts during summer https://www.arlandaexpress.com/.

One can also take the bus which is cheaper but takes longer http://www.flygbussarna.se/en

If you are studying the maps both the Train (Arlanda Express) and the Bus (Flygbussama) depart from nearly the same location Central Terminal just north of Gamla Stan.

For the record, neither is covered by the Stockholm Card, even though the Card covers other transportation around Stockholm, so if you thinking about buying the Stockholm card, you need to take that in account.

Expedia sometimes offers a discount for Flygbussama vouchers. At least they did for our Summer visit in 2013. The Arlanda Express site sometimes offers 2-fer specials but even so, the cost is somewhat higher than the bus. I didn;t think the time savings (roughly 1/2 hour compared to 1 hr) justified the cost difference.

If you are studying the maps both the Train (Arlanda Express) and the Bus (Flygbussama) depart from nearly the same location Central Terminal just north of Gamla Stan.

For the record, neither is covered by the Stockholm Card, even though the Card covers other transportation around Stockholm, so if you thinking about buying the Stockholm card, you need to take that in account.

Now, if you are planning to buy Stockholm card (which gives free travel on public transport, some boat rides and free admission to many museums), there are a good and cheap way to get to Arlanda airport. Stockholm card is valid for all travel with SL (Stockholm Public Transport) and since a few months back, there is a commuter train that goes to Arlanda airport(This is not ArlandaExpress which is a speedtrain), but the train to Arlanda airport requires buying an additional passenger ticket for 75SEK and the train takes about 40min and leaves 2 times an hour from the Central station.

Edited by Winters Gate

I am double booked now in Stockholm. I have SPB Tours and Princess Stockholm on your own. I will cancel one of them.

I could use some advice for the do on your own day. Princess charges $59 roundtrip from Nynashamn and I assume you get a priority tender as well. Adding in the Stockholm Card for $75, cost for the day, before lunch is $134. While SPB is $125 (closer to $120 after early booking and multiple port discount), I believe you get an additional 45 minutes doing it on your own AND obviously call your own itinerary. As I am not a big fan of churches, I think we'll do on our own.

Questions:

1. If anyone can advise for a first time visitor as to a choice between the historic canal boat ride or the royal canal boat ride, I would appreciate it. Both are 50 minutes and you get a choice of one with the Stockholm card.
  2. If we set aside 1 hour for canal ride and 1.5 hours for Vasa Museum, and 1 hour for lunch, does 2 hours do justice to a walking tour of Old Town, and also a tour of City Hall?
  3. I suppose Skansen is off the table considering I may be doing too much above. Would you eliminate something above in favor of Skansen?

Thank you for anyone who cares to weigh in here.

I am double booked now in Stockholm. I have SPB Tours and Princess Stockholm on your own. I will cancel one of them.

I could use some advice for the do on your own day. Princess charges $59 roundtrip from Nynashamn and I assume you get a priority tender as well. Adding in the Stockholm Card for $75, cost for the day, before lunch is $134. While SPB is $125 (closer to $120 after early booking and multiple port discount), I believe you get an additional 45 minutes doing it on your own AND obviously call your own itinerary. As I am not a big fan of churches, I think we'll do on our own.

Questions:

1. If anyone can advise for a first time visitor as to a choice between the historic canal boat ride or the royal canal boat ride, I would appreciate it. Both are 50 minutes and you get a choice of one with the Stockholm card.
  2. If we set aside 1 hour for canal ride and 1.5 hours for Vasa Museum, and 1 hour for lunch, does 2 hours do justice to a walking tour of Old Town, and also a tour of City Hall?
  3. I suppose Skansen is off the table considering I may be doing too much above. Would you eliminate something above in favor of Skansen?

Thank you for anyone who cares to weigh in here.

1. I don't know which is the best but I think both are nice,

2. Two hours in Gamla Stan should be ok. I have no experience from the City Hall tour so I can't give you any feedback on that.

3. I'd say no. Skansen can be really nice (especially if the weather is nice) but even if you would skip any of the above you still wouldn't have time to do Skansen properly.

1. I don't know which is the best but I think both are nice,

2. Two hours in Gamla Stan should be ok. I have no experience from the City Hall tour so I can't give you any feedback on that.

3. I'd say no. Skansen can be really nice (especially if the weather is nice) but even if you would skip any of the above you still wouldn't have time to do Skansen properly.

May I chip in here and ask how long we should comfortably allocate for a visit to Skansen please? I know we could probably spend all day there, but we also want to visit Gamla Stan and see the Changing of the Guard at the Royal Palace.

May I chip in here and ask how long we should comfortably allocate for a visit to Skansen please? I know we could probably spend all day there, but we also want to visit Gamla Stan and see the Changing of the Guard at the Royal Palace.

I was there the past summer and it took us about 4-5 hours to see most of it.

We took it pretty slow though but didn't enter every craftsman's workshop.

That also includes a break for fika and food.

We stopped at café Petissan for coffee, I don't remember where we ate but i think it was Stora Gungan - The Big Swing Taverne,

but there are plenty of other options since there a pretty good selection of restaurants at Skansen.

A map of Skansen: http://www.skansen.se/sv/artikel/interaktiv-skansenkarta

On Tuesdays from June 24th to August 12th there is Allsång på Skansen and even if it is in the evening those days are usually extra crowded.

Edited by Desdichado62

I was there the past summer and it took us about 4-5 hours to see most of it.

We took it pretty slow though but didn't enter every craftsman's workshop.

Two years ago I visited Skansen with the idea to take pictures with my digital camera (I have been there before several times so I did not enter any workshops or houses this time).

By a way there is a English variant of the map here: http://www.skansen.se/en/kategori/english

Taking the escalator from the main entrance up to the town quarter I continued clockwise around Skansen past the Rose Garden, Makalös, the reindeers, bears, wolves, Skåne farmstead all the way to the Hellestad belfry where I turned north walking to Bredablick tower. Then I continued to do the inner part of Skansen counterclockwise (summer pasture farm, forestry center, herb garden, market street, Skogaholm manor etc. and past the aquarium back to the main entrance. The route took 2 hours 10 minutes, walking all the time with only VERY short stops to take pictures with a DSLR (360 in total). Hope this, together with Desdichado's info, can give you some better idea about the time you would need.

By leaving off the northwest part of Skansen and going from the town quarters straight to the market street up to Bredablick tower to the zoo sector and then back along the east part and south part of Skansen I think those in a rush should be able to get at least some idea of Skansen in two hours. But of course Desdichado's way to do it properly is preferable.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Many thanks to both of you, so very helpful and so much appreciated.

We visited a similar place in America a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so we would like to visit Skansen if possible. Maybe we could allocate about 3 hours and hope to see most of what would interest us. We thought we might use the HoHo boat to get around, so that could possibly save a bit of time as Stadsgarden where our ship will dock is on the route.

Many thanks to both of you, so very helpful and so much appreciated.

We visited a similar place in America a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so we would like to visit Skansen if possible. Maybe we could allocate about 3 hours and hope to see most of what would interest us. We thought we might use the HoHo boat to get around, so that could possibly save a bit of time as Stadsgarden where our ship will dock is on the route.

Ok have in mind that the HoHo boats take approximative 30 minutes from Djurgården to the Royal Palace+walking time from Skansen entrance to where to HoHo boat docks c:a 5 min).

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Skansen,+Djurg%C3%A5rdssl%C3%A4tten+49,+115+21+Stockholm+(Skansen)&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.324622,18.098286&spn=0.002113,0.008256&sll=59.323743,18.097288&sspn=0.002113,0.008256&geocode=FQg4iQMd9DIUAQ%3BFdc2iQMdcRoUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=18&z=18

So an option could be to go by tram/bus which takes about 20 min from Skansen entrance to Slottsbacken stop at the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Skansen,+Djurg%C3%A5rdssl%C3%A4tten+49,+115+21+Stockholm+(Skansen)&daddr=Skeppsbron&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.328549,18.087316&spn=0.0169,0.066047&sll=59.327202,18.091929&sspn=0.008451,0.033023&geocode=FQg4iQMd9DIUAQ%3BFVw_iQMdvc0TAQ&oq=Slott&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F03%2F25&time=11:00&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=walk&mra=ls&z=15&start=0

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/en?SID=A%3D1%40O%3DSkansen%20%28Stockholm%29%40X%3D18100894%40Y%3D59323960%40U%3D74%40L%3D300101405%40B%3D1%40p%3D1392968361%40&ZID=A%3D1%40O%3DSlottsbacken%20%28Stockholm%29%40X%3D18075311%40Y%3D59325937%40U%3D74%40L%3D300101342%40B%3D1%40p%3D1392968361%40&

11:06 From: Skansen

11:27 To: Slottsbacken trm_s_pic.gifbus_red_pic.gif

21 min

1. 11:06 Skansen
    trm_s_pic.gif Spårväg City tram 7 towards SERGELS TORG T-Centralen
    11:08 Liljevalchs/Gröna Lund
    11:10 Nordiska museet/Vasamuseet
    11:11 Djurgårdsbron
    11:13 Styrmansgatan
    11:15 Nybroplan
  2. approx. 11:21 Nybroplan

bus_red_pic.gif Bus 76 towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen
    11:23 Kungsträdgården (på Kungsträdgårdsgatan)
    approx. 11:25 Karl XII:s torg

approx. 11:27 Slottsbacken

You can also change from the tram to the bus at Djurgårdsbron stop but I don't know how good or not good time wise the

tram passes Djurgårdsbron stop in relation to when Bus 76 passes the same stop.

Edited by Desdichado62

Some hotel recommendations in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41188508&postcount=1548

There also other hotels closer to the central station, hotels such as Radisson Blu and Sheraton Stockholm.

These are the hotels I know of that are relatively close to the central station.

There are some constructions going on around Centralstation l for a new railway tunnel but I don't much how much it affects the surrounding area noise wise.

The hotels locations on google maps, A is the entrance to Central station and H is the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Centralplan,+Stockholm,+Sverige&daddr=Radisson+Blu+Royal+Viking+Hotel+Stockholm,+Vasagatan,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Sheraton+Stockholm+Hotel,+Tegelbacken,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rex+Hotel,+Luntmakargatan,+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotels,+Rica+Hotels,+Kungsgatan+47,+111+56+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotel+Stockholm,+Rica+Hotel+Stockholm,+Sl%C3%B6jdgatan+7,+111+57+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Rica+Hotel+Gamla+Stan,+Rica+Hotel+Gamla+Stan,+Lilla+Nygatan+25,+111+28+Stockholm,+Sverige+to:Slottsbacken+2,+Stockholm,+Sverige&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.331942,18.066373&spn=0.02016,0.066047&sll=59.326217,18.074924&sspn=0.003564,0.008256&geocode=FaxOiQMdwZATASnzbMV-YJ1fRjGWSMVDAArCyw%3BFWRTiQMdhYsTASHVkcFAfK_ADClVvjaMYJ1fRjHVkcFAfK_ADA%3BFXtKiQMdA5oTASHbY2uueXH4SCllKIq9X51fRjHbY2uueXH4SA%3BFWl6iQMd5pATASF0Ccf-xpAI3CktAR9xaJ1fRjF0Ccf-xpAI3A%3BFaVgiQMdr5YTASn5rvYftb1RRjFeSzN3vdHfeA%3BFRBdiQMdR5wTASmTM8_5XZ1fRjEvc-PlWRoYCw%3BFbYyiQMdobkTASltuKEB43dfRjGykHXNNojfuw%3BFeE8iQMdTMATASmtNduA4ndfRjGWkIsomNldjw&oq=Slottsbacken+2,+Stockholm,+Sverige&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=15

What is the area around the Central Train Station like? Is it a seedy area? :confused:

How is the Nordic Sea Hotel for a one night stay and the Crooked Leg Restaurant for dinner? They offer a Lazy Sunday package that is quite reasonable.

Also, what is the best way to get from Frihamnen to the Central Train Station area on a Sunday? Does the bus (#1) have room for luggage? How much would a taxi cost?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Ok have in mind that the HoHo boats take approximative 30 minutes from Djurgården to the Royal Palace+walking time from Skansen entrance to where to HoHo boat docks c:a 5 min).

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Skansen,+Djurg%C3%A5rdssl%C3%A4tten+49,+115+21+Stockholm+(Skansen)&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.324622,18.098286&spn=0.002113,0.008256&sll=59.323743,18.097288&sspn=0.002113,0.008256&geocode=FQg4iQMd9DIUAQ%3BFdc2iQMdcRoUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=18&z=18

So an option could be to go by tram/bus which takes about 20 min from Skansen entrance to Slottsbacken stop at the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Skansen,+Djurg%C3%A5rdssl%C3%A4tten+49,+115+21+Stockholm+(Skansen)&daddr=Skeppsbron&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.328549,18.087316&spn=0.0169,0.066047&sll=59.327202,18.091929&sspn=0.008451,0.033023&geocode=FQg4iQMd9DIUAQ%3BFVw_iQMdvc0TAQ&oq=Slott&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=14%2F03%2F25&time=11:00&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=walk&mra=ls&z=15&start=0

Thank you so much! We plan to do Gamla Stan and the Palace in the morning and then make our way to Skansen for as long as possible before returning to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding taxis:

which company would you recommend

Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir and Taxi 020.

It is very important that you look very carefully before you enter the taxi that it is from one of these companies

since there is a problem in Stockholm with unreliable freelancers that impersonates these companies.

The Freelancers will rip you off severely if you go with them.

All Swedish taxi's are required to use yellow license plates so if it does not have a yellow plate its not legit.

Some older posts about Taxi in Stockholm:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34167478#post34167478

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39009493#post39009493

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1326158&highlight=stockholm+taxi

I would like to add:

As an last control, all taxis has a yellow decal on the rear seat windows with a lot of small text/prices plus one price in large bold letters. That's the highest compare price.

For a decent taxi the latter should be somewhere between 300 and 350 Kr. Beware of taxis that shows much higher prices (400 Kr or more)

You can see how a typical decal looks like here (to the right) : http://www.taxistockholm.se/en/Fare-and-payment/

or do a Google picture search under "Stockholm taxi jämförelsepris" to see some really nasty "rip off" samples.

Edited by Ultima Thule

should we use taxi at stockholm port to go to hotel or hire car in advance

thank you

\

barbara

Do you mean if you could just grab a taxi when you have disembarked or order a taxi in advance?

In that case I don't know but I would assume that it would be more convenient to order

a taxi in advance since I would guess that there will be many others wanting a taxi as well.

Edited by Desdichado62

can you recommend car service or taxi service to reserve in advance?

thank you

As for taxi use: Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir or Taxi 020.

As for car service, a quick google returned a few hits but it's hard for me to know how reliable/what their reputation are.

This one seems pretty reputable though: http://www.freys.se/ it seems they are a "Royal Warrant Holder of the Swedish court".

http://www.hovlev.se/index_e.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Purveyors_to_the_Court_of_Sweden

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful information ! - Too bad that the search function is not working - I apologize if this has been asked/answered previously:

Can you tell me if it is reasonable to disembark in Nynashamn (Princess ship ) and make our own way to the closest Ho Ho Bus - to take a "city" tour of Stockholm ?

Thank you

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful information ! - Too bad that the search function is not working - I apologize if this has been asked/answered previously:

Can you tell me if it is reasonable to disembark in Nynashamn (Princess ship ) and make our own way to the closest Ho Ho Bus - to take a "city" tour of Stockholm ?

Thank you

I am not sure what you mean/ask.

However I can tell you what docking in Nynäshamn means.

1. Nynäshamn is located 60km south of Stockhom City
  2. Getting from Nynäshamn to Stockholm requires a journey for about 1 hours or so by either shuttle bus or commuter train.
  3. Your ship will not do sail in/out through Stockholm archipelago.
  4. There is no Ho-Ho bus available in Nynäshamn.

If this is reasonable or not it's not for me to tell you but rather for you to decide for yourselves.

Let me know if you have more questions.

yes, it's really unfortunate for us on Princess that have to dock in Nynasham. but them's the breaks and I think the rest of the positive aspects of this cruise more than make up for this one cruddy one.

here is my plan, but it's open to change if there seems to be a better option upon arrival in Nynasham... 15 minute walk to train then 1 hour trip to Stockholm. Vasa Museum first thing. then walk over to Gamla Stan and see all the main sites. City Hall, Royal Palace (for the armory), Ice Bar if time.

Some dates of importance for Stockholm cruise pax:

• May 29th Ascension day, public transport uses Sunday schedule, most major attractions is open as usual.
    Stores might have different opening hours.

• May 31st. Regular Saturday however the annual Stockholm Marathon is held this day.
    It will affect the public transport in large parts of central Stockholm. Use subway, harbour ferries and HoHo-boats to get around.

• June 6th, Sweden's national day, red day, public holiday. public transport uses Sunday schedule,
    most major attractions is open as usual. Stores might have different opening hours.

• June 10th H.R.H. Princess Madeleines birthday. Possible some minor celebrations at the Royal Palace.

• June 11th: Archipelago boat day. A day when the old traditional type of Archipelago passenger boats are celebrated with a
    ship procession from Strömkajen in central Stockholm to Waxholm.
    However its doesn't take place until the in the early evening (18.15/6.15pm).

• June 20th-21st Midsummer. Major public holiday, lot's of people leave the city and many stores and museums are either closed or have limited opening hours.
    For Public transport: Midsummer eve uses Saturday schedule, Midsummer eve uses Sunday Schedule.

• July 14th, H.R.H Crown Princess Victoria's birthday, not sure if there will be celebrations at both the Royal Palace or if it is at Öland only.
    There will however be a cannon salute in Stockholm.

For more info on Midsummer see this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1936943

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=49227946

Also on Saturday mornings between March 29th and December 27th there is a photo/walking tour at Djurgården.

I is a walking tour that starts at dawn and takes you across Djurgården's nature parts where you will have a

traditional Swedish breakfast while watching the sub rise (if the weather is good enough).

The walking tour is about 7km long and will take about 3½ hours.

http://www.evenemang.se/djurg%C3%A5rden-with-swedish-breakfast.html

• 2 weeks later...
I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Our travel agent is saying that she can arrange transportation from our hotel, Freys, to the cruise ship for $30 per person. In 2014 is that reasonable?

Thanks so much.