Rome Hotel Recommendations

ITGuyMD

Thanks, this gives me an idea for prices.

Any idea the price to thr airport?

Pretty sure it was 80E, definitely cheaper to the airport since that circuit is closer, more common, more likely to get a return fare.

You can try this website too looks like their prices are a little cheaper and they're a tripadvisor company so they should be reputable, but again I would book in advance if you are shopping online, don't wait until you are on the boat to try and price shop and book things due to spotty internet.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Civitavecchia-Private-Transfer-Central-Rome-to-Civitavecchia-Cruise-Port/d511-5476ROMHTLPRT

As you can see the prices get cheaper with more people, 2 people is a bit cheaper than the prices I quoted.

• 2 weeks later...

We re looking for a "reasonably" priced hotel near the Trevi Fountain and close to shopping for the last week in May, 2018. The hotel must also have an elevator/lift and offer twin beds and a private bathroom.

We will also need transportation from the hotel to the cruise port.

Any suggestions?

We re looking for a "reasonably" priced hotel near the Trevi Fountain and close to shopping for the last week in May, 2018. The hotel must also have an elevator/lift and offer twin beds and a private bathroom.

We will also need transportation from the hotel to the cruise port.

Any suggestions?

What is your idea of 'reasonably priced'? And when you say shopping, what kind of shopping do you have in mind? Top end designer shopping like via Condotti? Souvenir shopping? Food markets?

What is your idea of 'reasonably priced'? And when you say shopping, what kind of shopping do you have in mind? Top end designer shopping like via Condotti? Souvenir shopping? Food markets?

Yeap not sure if there are any reasonably priced around Trevi, all very high end shops around the via Condotti, we saw Dwayne Wade, Gabby Union and his family strolling through.

On the way to the Pantheon are tons of souvenir shops and food though and may be cheaper hotels while still being close to Trevi and via Condotti shopping.

One other suggestion.

We have been to Rome several times before and after cruises so have stayed at a range of places. Also was there on business.

We are staying there again later this year.

I did a search on this board and pulled up the most recent two years of people asking where to stay.

If hotels got a strong recommendation I wrote each one out.

I then went to Trip Advisor to read reviews but also visited the hotels own web site.

Using Trip Advisor I looked at maps to see where each one is located.

I also looked for hotels on Trip Advisor as if I hadn't seen recommendation on this board because certainly there are hundreds and hundred of hotels that no one has mentioned.

In time I was able to narrow it down to a handful and then kept reviewing them.

I also used a few other on line resources.

What I am trying to say is this is one great source for input but I would also use other tools.

Keith

I would prefer to be no more than a few walking blocks from Trevi. I can get top end designers here in the US, so that is not important. We love browsing local clothing and jewelry shops and finding local places to eat. Someone mentioned the Realis?

I would prefer to be no more than a few walking blocks from Trevi. I can get top end designers here in the US, so that is not important. We love browsing local clothing and jewelry shops and finding local places to eat. Someone mentioned the Realis?

Do you mean Relais? That is the name of a chain of hotels. If so, then you probably are referring to the Relais Fontana di Trevi. I have no experience to this particular hotel but it is very close to Trevi. In fact, maybe too close. It will be very crowded in the vicinity -- read reviews carefully regarding noise.

Shops around Trevi are going to be touristy for the most part.

There are high-end Italian designers in the streets around via Condotti as well as chains. Luisa Spagnoli, for example, is known for lovely knits. And Sirmonetta gloves at the base of the Spanish Steps provides traditional, high-quality leather gloves (and a fun experience to be "fitted" for them....)

In streets around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona (both nearby) you'll find a mix of touristy places and interesting local things, including ceramics, jewelry, etc. There is a branch of the wonderful (and wonderfully expensive) "Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella" (a Florence tradition since 1612) with perfumes, soaps, hand creams, etc. based on traditional formulations of monks. (More here: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/rome/shopping/officina-profumo-farmaceutica-di-santa-maria-novella/a/poi-sho/390185/359975)

Also, near the Pantheon there is a wonderful shop selling antique prints, some hand-tinted. They usually have a nice selection of famous Rome sites as well as many different plates from antique books -- birds, flowers, maps, etc.

.....and I am not even much of a shopper!

Do you mean Relais? That is the name of a chain of hotels. If so, then you probably are referring to the Relais Fontana di Trevi. I have no experience to this particular hotel but it is very close to Trevi. In fact, maybe too close. It will be very crowded in the vicinity -- read reviews carefully regarding noise.

There are high-end Italian designers in the streets around via Condotti as well as chains. Luisa Spagnoli, for example, is known for lovely knits. And Sirmonetta gloves at the base of the Spanish Steps provides traditional, high-quality leather gloves (and a fun experience to be "fitted" for them....)

In streets around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona (both nearby) you'll find a mix of touristy places and interesting local things, including ceramics, jewelry, etc. There is a branch of the wonderful (and wonderfully expensive) "Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella" (a Florence tradition since 1612) with perfumes, soaps, hand creams, etc. based on traditional formulations of monks. (More here: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/rome/shopping/officina-profumo-farmaceutica-di-santa-maria-novella/a/poi-sho/390185/359975)

Also, near the Pantheon there is a wonderful shop selling antique prints, some hand-tinted. They usually have a nice selection of famous Rome sites as well as many different plates from antique books -- birds, flowers, maps, etc.

Thank you!

!

Thank you--so good to know. :D

Really getting lots,of,great info on these sites. We are coming into Rome the day before our cruise. Looking for a good centrally located hotel. Not looking to spend a fortune on a one night stay.. have been researching and reading like crazy!! As for our plan, we hope to get to the hotel by 1:00 . Wondering if a night tour would be a better idea for us after,flying all night? Then the next day looking at either Rome in Limo or Rome cabs for a half day tour and then transfer to the port. Any suggestions? I may try to find someone to split the transfer with on the roll call boards. Everyone has been so helpful already!

Really getting lots,of,great info on these sites. We are coming into Rome the day before our cruise. Looking for a good centrally located hotel. Not looking to spend a fortune on a one night stay.. have been researching and reading like crazy!! As for our plan, we hope to get to the hotel by 1:00 . Wondering if a night tour would be a better idea for us after,flying all night? Then the next day looking at either Rome in Limo or Rome cabs for a half day tour and then transfer to the port. Any suggestions? I may try to find someone to split the transfer with on the roll call boards. Everyone has been so helpful already!

What seems to work best for most people (and almost all US flyers are flying all night) is to NOT take a nap during the day after arrival, or at most maybe a 30-minute "power nap". It's better to keep going, hard as it may seem. A lot of people swear by getting outside and into the natural light as much as possible -- it seems to help re-set your internal clock to the correct time. (So visiting the Colosseum or Forum might be a good idea, or just visiting some of the iconic sites like Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon on foot.)

Keep going until dinner time, and then sack out early after that. By morning, you should be a lot more acclimated to the new time zone.

Regarding a hotel, it's hard to recommend something without a good idea of price range -- and be warned that hotel prices are considerably higher in the peak season than off season, so knowing the general time of your stay also is helpful.

Hi Cruisemom, I have been enjoying your posts! We are arriving on October 18th and leaving for our cruise on the 19th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hotel Navona is a well-located Hotel near Piazza Navona but on a quiet street. It's on several floors of an old palazzo but the rooms have been fully modernized. I looked at prices and they have a double for about $160/night when I checked -- very reasonable price for this area...

You might want to consider the airport Hilton as it is attached to the airport and has a free shuttle into,Rome. You could drop your luggage and head into town, then when you go to the port it is not as far. We have had great luck with Stefanos Rome cabs.

Hotel Navona is a well-located Hotel near Piazza Navona but on a quiet street. It's on several floors of an old palazzo but the rooms have been fully modernized. I looked at prices and they have a double for about $160/night when I checked -- very reasonable price for this area...

I have really researched Hotel Navona and Hotel Smeraldo. I feel I will probably pick one today. I was trying to find out one more piece of information . Both hotels listed a cruise ship terminal shuttle as part of their perks, but I can't find out any details, like price! And time!

Has anyone done that? :confused:

I have really researched Hotel Navona and Hotel Smeraldo. I feel I will probably pick one today. I was trying to find out one more piece of information . Both hotels listed a cruise ship terminal shuttle as part of their perks, but I can't find out any details, like price! And time!

Has anyone done that? :confused:

Many (if not most) hotels will be able to arrange a transfer service to/from either the airport or the port. But it is NOT free.

If you want to do this, you would just need to arrange with the hotel concierge (or by email in advance). I would certainly check the rates with other recommended private transfers though. It may be no bargain. The only "perk" about it is that they do the arranging for you.

Transfers to Rome from FCO airport or vice versa are generally around 50 euro. A taxi costs 48 euro flat fee. So not much difference either way.

There is a wider variance on transportation to/from the port. A shared shuttle service may cost 70 euro per couple, while a private transfer with one of the more frequently touted companies here might cost 120 to 140 euro per couple.

P.S. Absent a really compelling reason to stay at the airport (i.e., a 6am flight out), I would strongly recommend a hotel IN Rome and not at FCO.

Oh I expected it to be a fee based transfer. Just seemed convenient. Actually we may book a half day tour and transfer combo through Romein cab or Rome in Limo, hope to find another couple to split that with or do a shared one. Our friends are meeting us at the ship on embarkation day. Thank you for all your help!

Cruisemom. Thank you again for your insights . I booked Hotel Navona for a really great rate. They did email me the price for their arranged transfer and we may just take a cab. Now I can enjoy planning my sightseeing route in a short time and then actually looking at the cruise ports and excursions!

Hello All,

We are first time cruisers set to sail in June on Oceania on a Rome to Rome cruise, and we are planning to stay an additional 4 nights in the Eternal City at the end of our cruise. We were looking for some hotel recommendations in Rome as well as any other advice on planning and timing.

At this point, our last major planning point is deciding where to stay in Rome and how much time to allot for each area we wish to visit. Any hotel recommendations are greatly appreciated, our goal is to stay at $250-300 (or less!) per night for a nice place in the forum area. We want to stay in a place that has some character/soul that is still clean with modern amenities, not some pasteurized business hotel full of Ikea furnishings.

Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

Day 1) Disembark 8am, 3 hours transfer to Rome and check-in to hotel. If it is close to Roman Forum, tour main Roman Forum, Coliseum and anything else we can fit in 6 hour period.

Day 2) Vatican Tour. I looked over this briefly, we want to try to see everything, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Gardens (which should be amazing in June), any specific Vatican packages that cover it all is appreciated.

Day 3) Pompei/Vesuvius - I've read this is doable for a day trip and a 2 hour or so ride away from Rome.

Day 4) Anything left in Rome we didn't cover on Day 1. Relax if saw it all, maybe visit Forum again.

I guess we are mainly looking for positive reviews and suggestions for hotels. I think I would enjoy a home base in the Forum area, I saw a hotel called Forum Hotel that looked interesting with some charm that also had some beautiful views. We figure we can arrange for transport to everywhere else, but we really want to be in an area that isn't any other city block in any other busy city in the world.

Here's link to the hotel we were looking at: http://www.hotelforum.com/

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks !!!

My husband and I have stayed at Hotel Colosseum after a September cruise. We loved it so much we're staying again in a few weeks. It's walking distance to the Colosseum, the Forum etc. Yet it's off the beaten path and pretty quiet at night. It's a typical Italian Hotel. Great breakfast, staff and a wonderful rooftop deck. And it was pretty reasonable:)