Bringing a pill box for meds?

racetech

take pictures of the 'scipt labels with your phone ....... produce as needed

unless your drug is 'controlled substance' I can't imagine a problem, note that decongestants like Sudafed are now controlled since a component in them is used to make meth'

and even here ..... if ASKED / QUESTIONED the issue will come to amount. If you are on a 7 day trip and have 7 day supply ... no problem. being careful and you have a 14 day supply .... should be no problem.

Going on a 7 day trip and have 500 doses ........ could be a problem ......

btw, I was once one who searched for 'drugs' and later supervised teams who did the same .....

btw, TSA has nothing to do with cruise ships

boarding security is independently contracted by the cruise line. Their security must pass muster of USCG (else boarding stops) but use of local police is NOT required ... federal officers might be around ICE / USCG but this is for general port security NOT specific to the boarding process.

at the debarc' ICE is there for immigration and customs issues and CG for port security and customs (all CG 'officers' are customs officers, by law)

Edited by Capt_BJ

The authorities who matter are the local police here in USA. All 50 states require ALL PRESCRIPTIONS to be carried in the container they were delivered in and the label be in a legible state. Not saying this is enforced 100% of the time, but it's possible

That is not correct.

While they don't show a name brand, in my experience all prescription medication - even generic - has a unique combination of color, shape and embossed or printed numbers/letters that gives positive identification of the medication and strength.

But would all Customs Agents understand the symbols sifficiently to be able to identify?

But would all Customs Agents understand the symbols sifficiently to be able to identify?

You should expect them to know. You might be surprised to discover that there's an app for that.

Or if like me, you are a Luddite and don't have the app, Google (probably any search engine) is your friend. "Beige capsule teva 3019" = Amoxicillin 100 mg.

Edited by CPT Trips

We typically travel for two-three months at a time. DW takes a number of pills. We only travel with carry on. We put them all together in one container.

During the past five years of international travel, 3-5 months a year to North American, South/Central American, Australian, African, European, and Asian destinations we have never once been questioned about this container. Never even had it taken out of our carry on for inspection even though the carry ons have been inspected several times.

I suspect that a prescription label on a container is absolutely meaningless to the inspectors. It is just a label. Anything can be substituted in the container.

at the debarc' ICE is there for immigration and customs issues and CG for port security and customs (all CG 'officers' are customs officers, by law)

ICE has nothing to do with entering the country. That is CBP.

It used to be Immigration and then Customs, but that part of Immigration was moved to CBP, along with the Dept of Agriculture food sniffing dogs.

I have traveled internationally, with daily meds, for about 24 years.

I carry my meds in one of the pill boxes. NEVER had an issue.

Now maybe I don't travel enough. But I am a million miler on two different airlines, have visited 140 countries, and am typically on the road about 40% annually.

In my experience (watching, not to me), is if there is any question, they bring a drug dog over. So if you have prescription pain relievers (codeine, morphine, etc.), I would carry in original bottle, WITH a letter from my doctor about my need for that particular medication at that time. And only carry enough for the trip, with a bit of extra for travel delays.

Sudafed is controlled due to being a meth re-cursor, but if you have a few, you would have to make the customs people really mad to get arrested. Yes, try to enter with several hundred pills, and you may have some problems.

From what I have read lately, you do need to be careful with certain drugs and certain countries. sounds like things as vitamins, Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. are usually OK, but who knows what is a controlled substance in some countries as this poor woman found out: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britsih-woman-egypt-painkillers-prison-sentence-jail-any-key-names-locations-court-case-a8051696.html

From what I have read lately, you do need to be careful with certain drugs and certain countries. sounds like things as vitamins, Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. are usually OK, but who knows what is a controlled substance in some countries as this poor woman found out: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britsih-woman-egypt-painkillers-prison-sentence-jail-any-key-names-locations-court-case-a8051696.html

In that case, the pills were an opiod (a controlled substance in most countries), it was a largish quantity (300 pills) and they weren't prescribed for her - she was bringing them to her husband - three factors that would make it more problematic.

Last year, I attended a meeting in Singapore and before going there was an email discussion with concerns about bringing in medications as it's known for being pretty strict. Here is their description of what's allowed including when a license is needed:

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

BTW, if you notice that Psuedophedrine is mentioned. The limit on amount would allow for around 700 of the usual 30 mg dose pills.

We went through Singapore in January. Our carry on was put through the scanner. No questions about meds, drugs, anything.

I also haven't been asked questions about that both times I've gone to Singapore. My point in posting the link to their rules was that it is different for large quantities (more than 3 months supply) and for controlled substances. Normal vacation amounts of the usual maintenance medications aren't an issue.

Our norm is 2 1/2 months supply for a two month trip just in case we extend. We have had the same experience going into Australia several times-no issue, no questions, no comments. Just waved us through....but did ask once if we were smuggling in any maple syrup.

I like to combine my daily vitamins and my allergy pills into those bitty-bitty ziplock baggies (sold at the drug store). This means I can take the daily small baggie to breakfast and take the pills ... then trash the baggie.

For over-the-counter pills -- asprin, Sudafed, Tums, whatever else -- I like to put a couple pills into a SuMTWRFSa container /write on the plastic "2 every 4" or whatever's appropriate.

Never had any problem. Might have to do with carrying small quantities and looking like a middle aged Sunday School teacher.

Not my idea, but I think I'm going to borrow it. From the "Life Hacks" Cruise Edition thread:

attachment.php?attachmentid=417172

This is my “hack”. I made a multi brand medicine case from a typical pill case. It’s so easy to take several kinds of meds in one case. I take it everywhere I travel.

Thinking about taking what I need for the cruise and coming off the ship with none left. No issues then

I took 11 days worth for a seven night cruise and Hurricane Harvey hit on Day 6. On Day 10 we were in Miami (had to go locally and get more meds) and arrived back at port on Day 13 of a 7 night cruise.

Moral of the story: NEVER go with an exact number of meds. Always take spare. Was a headache to call from the ship to pharmacies at home to get scrips sent to Miami, and then to go and get it.

I took 11 days worth for a seven night cruise and Hurricane Harvey hit on Day 6. On Day 10 we were in Miami (had to go locally and get more meds) and arrived back at port on Day 13 of a 7 night cruise.

Moral of the story: NEVER go with an exact number of meds. Always take spare. Was a headache to call from the ship to pharmacies at home to get scrips sent to Miami, and then to go and get it.

I used to take one extra day worth. More recently, I've been taking 3 or so extra days worth - a bit less if traveling to someplace close (because there would be a low chance of anything delaying my return more than a day, a bit more for trips farther away). So far, I've never had my own return delayed by more than a day but I've been on trips where others were delayed by more. E.g. a March blizzard in Washington DC that stopped all flights - I made it out before flights ended but some of those who couldn't get their Friday flight were delayed until Monday because there wasn't enough unused capacity for all the people from cancelled flights.

Nothing I take would be life or heath threatening to miss a day or so (though I'd be pretty miserable if I ran out of my non-prescription allergy medicine). I might take more extra if it was.

We take more than needed to Europe. I’ll never take less than 2 weeks with me again. We don’t take a lot but it’s anti-arthritic for me and blood pressure meds for him. The worst was a mom who didn’t have enough anti seizure meds for her child. Not stuff you can go to Walgreens and get. She had to call ahead and go to a children’s hospital in Miami to get it. I’ll just take plenty and no worries.

When we flew to London, I took my prescription medicines in their originally dispensed bottles. I took my vitamins in a baggy. They're not absolutely essential to my health liked my prescriptions are, and they could be replaced easily if confiscated. On cruises out of the U.S., I have packed my weekly pill box as usual and taken the extras I'll need to restock it.

The other option, use a big chain drugstore.

I was in FL over the Christmas/New Years time. I had a severe sore throat and went to a doc in the box.

Script was called into local CVS. They called me up in their system, filled, charged my insurance, and I was on my way.