How easy is Capri on your own?

Bunnycake20

Hello,

My wife and i will be arriving in the port of Naples this my on our Norwegian cruise and are thinking of doing the Capri on our own excursion from offered by the ship. Has anyone ever done Capri on their own? How easy is it to get around on Capri? Any must visit spots?

I’ve done Capri on my own. Very easy. Island is small and easy to walk. I don’t recall specifically where we went but there was a cliff side trail we walked up to (but not down) and a ski lift type ride to get to an overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Capri on your own is very easy - search this forum for lots of great advice. The dock for ferries to the island is next to the cruise ship dock. One piece of info we found useful was not to buy a return ticket as different ferry operators have different schedules. So we booked on the first ferry as we got to the Naples dock and as soon as we arrived on Capri booked the return ticket that suited our timings - it turned out to be a different company but didn't matter. There is a kiosk that sells tickets for all ferries.

Our day consisted of taking the funicular from Marina Grande up to Capri Town and had a look around and the most expensive coffee ever! Then the bus to Anacapri for a wander round and lunch. Then the cable car up Mt Solaro - and return the same way. It was a spectacular day and for a fraction of the cost of ship tours.

There is absolutely no need to pay the cruise line for this, they're just going to charge you an extra fee to put you on a public ferry. You can do that yourself as the ferry pier, Molo Beverello, is adjacent to the cruise port.

Fully agree with the above.

Here's a good site for information on Capri, including how to get there, how to get around, and what to see and do:

http://www.capri.net/

• 3 months later...

We are also doing Capri on our own. We were thinking of taking a taxi to AnaCapri, and then working our way down. Is it hard to get a taxi? I know the walk from AnaCapri to Capri is downhill, but is there anything that makes it a difficult walk, or difficult to find the way down?

We are also doing Capri on our own. We were thinking of taking a taxi to AnaCapri, and then working our way down. Is it hard to get a taxi? I know the walk from AnaCapri to Capri is downhill, but is there anything that makes it a difficult walk, or difficult to find the way down?

There are public buses to go down. No need to walk.

It´s mainly steps and pretty steep. At the main square in Anacapri follow the signs to the Villa San Michele. Right after passing the Villa the Scala Fenicia starts. You can see photos here. I would not suggest the Scala Fenicia to anyone having walking problems and especially knee problems.

As for the taxis .... there are plenty in port but usually wanting to be rented for a round trip or a day. There´s a public bus (supposed to run every 15 min). We use that one. At the end of the port just walk right and you will see the bus station. There´s also a ticket booth there. Tickets are valid for all busses and the Funicolare.

If you don´t walk down you can take the bus from Anacapri to Capri town and there the Funicolare down to the port.

We usually buy all tickets we need in advance.

steamboats

Capri on your own is very easy to do, the ferries to Capri are right beside where the cruise ships dock. In Capri you can get a bus, taxi or funicular from the port to the town. We went for a walk down the main shopping street ( window shopping only, comically expensive, we just laughed at the prices ) towards a public park which had great views.

Got off the Symphony of the Seas 2 weeks ago. We went over to Capri. The fast ferry terminal (Molo Beverello) is across the car park as you leave the cruise terminal. We got the 8.05am ferry across to beat the majority of visitors and it was a great idea to do that. Leave the ship no later than 7.30am to get that ferry. We also bought funicular tickets from the little cafe next to Molo Beverello to save time queuing for them on Capri.

On arrival at Capri we used the funicular to go up to Capri Town and immediately got the bus (2€) up to Anacapri for the chairlift up the mountain (11€ return). It was a lovely relaxing trip up with amazing views. At the top is a bar but we just walked around taking photos of the spectacular views before descending back down to Anacapri. It was very quiet but on our way down every chairlift seat going up was taken. Anacapri is a lovely place so we had a wander around and stopped for a coffee. It was beginning to get really busy and the little buses arriving from Capri Town were jam packed, so we decided to head back down towards the port.

We weren't overly impressed with the funicular as most people have to stand and the views out aren't that great, so we decided to take a taxi. They're all open top and it's a much nicer way to go back to the port. It cost 20€ for four of us. It was 12pm when we arrived at the port and it was heaving with tourists. We bought return ferry tickets and took the 12.40pm ferry back to Naples.

I'd advise anyone staying later in the afternoon to buy their return ferry ticket either before leaving Naples or as soon as you arrive on Capri to ensure that you have a seat booked on the ferry you want. Once all seats have been sold that's it, you can't get on.

We had a lovely morning on Capri leaving before it got too crowded.

Got off the Symphony of the Seas 2 weeks ago. We went over to Capri. The fast ferry terminal (Molo Beverello) is across the car park as you leave the cruise terminal. We got the 8.05am ferry across to beat the majority of visitors and it was a great idea to do that. Leave the ship no later than 7.30am to get that ferry. We also bought funicular tickets from the little cafe next to Molo Beverello to save time queuing for them on Capri.

On arrival at Capri we used the funicular to go up to Capri Town and immediately got the bus (2€) up to Anacapri for the chairlift up the mountain (11€ return). It was a lovely relaxing trip up with amazing views. At the top is a bar but we just walked around taking photos of the spectacular views before descending back down to Anacapri. It was very quiet but on our way down every chairlift seat going up was taken. Anacapri is a lovely place so we had a wander around and stopped for a coffee. It was beginning to get really busy and the little buses arriving from Capri Town were jam packed, so we decided to head back down towards the port.

We weren't overly impressed with the funicular as most people have to stand and the views out aren't that great, so we decided to take a taxi. They're all open top and it's a much nicer way to go back to the port. It cost 20€ for four of us. It was 12pm when we arrived at the port and it was heaving with tourists. We bought return ferry tickets and took the 12.40pm ferry back to Naples.

I'd advise anyone staying later in the afternoon to buy their return ferry ticket either before leaving Naples or as soon as you arrive on Capri to ensure that you have a seat booked on the ferry you want. Once all seats have been sold that's it, you can't get on.

We had a lovely morning on Capri leaving before it got too crowded.

What time did your ship dock? We dock at 7 AM and I am wondering if I will be able to make that 8:05 ferry.

Capri on your own is very easy! If you are good at walking, you can reach nearly every interesting place, or you just take public transport; small buses did the longer distances for me, when I stayed overnight last year, and I think 24 hours on the island is the minimum. Capri is sooo beautiful, I shot wonderful photos on the island, and I will never forget the impressions ...

Yes, we docked at 7am and we left the ship just before 7.30am. I thought about buying the ferry tickets online in advance but decided against it. There's a hefty booking fee to do it. Also, I wanted to see what the weather was like on the day and how we felt about how long to stay on the island. Buying on the day keeps your plans fluid and your options open. Although my husband wasn't ecstatic about being dragged out of bed so early he admitted that it was the best thing to do. We avoided the crowds and queues and had plenty of time to relax on deck back on the ship in the afternoon.

Yes, we docked at 7am and we left the ship just before 7.30am. I thought about buying the ferry tickets online in advance but decided against it. There's a hefty booking fee to do it. Also, I wanted to see what the weather was like on the day and how we felt about how long to stay on the island. Buying on the day keeps your plans fluid and your options open. Although my husband wasn't ecstatic about being dragged out of bed so early he admitted that it was the best thing to do. We avoided the crowds and queues and had plenty of time to relax on deck back on the ship in the afternoon.

How long did you stay on Capri? It is suggested by almost everyone to buy a return ticket right away so that they don’t get sold out, but I’m not sure of a reasonable amount of time to study if we wanna walk around and have lunch. I will not be doing any shopping.

We were on Capri by 9am and went straight up to Ana Capri for the chairlift then worked our way back down after a stop for coffee. We got an early ferry back (lunchtime) as by 12pm Capri was really really busy. It was great getting there early, we did everything we planned to do without battling through hordes of people. As we knew we wouldn't be staying all day we just bought our return ticket back to Naples at the marina. No queue for tickets and we sat up on the open air deck as the ferry was only half full. Great fun! We've been to Naples before so just went straight back to the ship, had lunch and then sunbathed on deck.

How long did you stay on Capri? It is suggested by almost everyone to buy a return ticket right away so that they don’t get sold out, but I’m not sure of a reasonable amount of time to study if we wanna walk around and have lunch. I will not be doing any shopping.

When you arrive on Capri you get off the boat on a long pier. As you walk off there is a small ticket office (on your right unless they have moved the place). We have long suggested stopping at that office, checking the schedule and immediately buying your return ticket. Why do a few of us suggest doing this instead of buying a return ticket in Naples? Because there are two companies running the jetboats and they do not accept each other's tickets. In Naples they are at separate windows and folks sometimes find it difficult to run around trying to find the various company schedules. But there is only one ticket office on Capri and they have a unified return schedule posted. Just make sure you buy a return ticket on a boat that is going to "Molo Beverello" at Naples. There is a 2nd Naples ferry pier (Mergellina) which is some distance from the cruise port and not where you want to be.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Capri yesterday. We disembarked the ship at 7:10 AM and walked right over to the ticket office and the 8:05 AM ferry was already sold out. Thankfully I purchased our tickets ahead of time online. I would’ve been upset if I had to wait until the 9:10 AM ferry, so even though I paid a service charge, I was very happy that I had I reserved on the earliest ferry. When we got over to Capri, we immediately Took a taxi over to AnaCapri, and our driver told us he thought we were the first ones there! It was very beautiful and peaceful. We then went to Capri town which was still relatively quiet. We found a beautiful spot called Capri rooftop bar and lounge which had the most magnificent view that you could imagine, and at that point in the day was still very quiet and calm. Later in the day things did get extremely crowded in Capri, but we took the advice we had gotten on the boards and I had booked the second to last ferry That would enable us to make our ship, which was at 3:25 PM. That gave us plenty of time to see everything we wanted to see. For me booking ahead of time made For a much more pleasant and relaxing day.

When you arrive on Capri you get off the boat on a long pier. As you walk off there is a small ticket office (on your right unless they have moved the place). We have long suggested stopping at that office, checking the schedule and immediately buying your return ticket. Why do a few of us suggest doing this instead of buying a return ticket in Naples? Because there are two companies running the jetboats and they do not accept each other's tickets. In Naples they are at separate windows and folks sometimes find it difficult to run around trying to find the various company schedules. But there is only one ticket office on Capri and they have a unified return schedule posted. Just make sure you buy a return ticket on a boat that is going to "Molo Beverello" at Naples. There is a 2nd Naples ferry pier (Mergellina) which is some distance from the cruise port and not where you want to be.

Hank

Great advice.

Hank,

That´s why I usually check the schedule ahead of time and chose the times with one company so I can buy the return ticket in Napels.

steamboats

Certainly an option but it does limit your return times. There are often times when using two different companies will best suit one's schedule. If course one could certainly walk around the Molo Beverello ticket area, read multiple schedules (from multiple companies), decide what works best, and then line up at one or more windows to purchase tickets. For us its just easier to get a ticket to Capri on the next boat (regardless of company) and then quickly purchase our return tickets as soon as we arrive on Capri. The nice thing about the ticket window on Capri is that they have a simple unified schedule (which combines the return times from multiple companies) so its just a matter of choosing your desired return time and buying the ticket.

We have long been puzzled why the two main companies do not sell a slightly discounted round trip ticket...in order to keep folks from doing a return on their competition. But lots of European travel experience has shown us that round trip (or return) discounts are not the norm.

Hank