Stupid question

Maya1234

NCL just mailed me luggage tags for my upcoming trip. But there are no directions and I have no idea how to put them on my luggage.

Are the supposed to just be stuck flat in the middle of my luggage? looped around a handle? ( they are self adhesive).

Can you tell I’m a newbie?

If you are going to use the porter, use those luggage tags by looping around a handle. Both times that I cruised, I carried my 1 bag of luggage along with my purse. It was not too heavy, but it was definitely inconvenience taking it to Garden Cafe for lunch before they make an announcement that the stateroom are ready. If you are going straight to the pool, which some people do - put the swimming wears in your carry on bag along with anything that are important (keys, passport,etc). Those luggage bags wont be delivered til late evenings.

Loop them around a handle. Do not put them flat on the bags, they will probably come off.
I actually bought some plastic holders as well that have a steel cable that screws closed. Placed the tags they gave me on one handle and printed out the tags as well and slid those into the plastic. That way if one got damaged or torn off there would be a second. And spare ones I had left I put inside the bag as a third one as extra protection.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

NCL just mailed me luggage tags for my upcoming trip. But there are no directions and I have no idea how to put them on my luggage.

Are the supposed to just be stuck flat in the middle of my luggage? looped around a handle? ( they are self adhesive).

Hi Maya,

If you are flying to the embarkation location, I wouldn't put the luggage tags on until you are heading to your ship.

We use clear packing tape and after looping the luggage tags through the handle, we use a few pieces of the packing tape to ensure that the tag can't be torn off the luggage.

We have also stapled the tags a few times ( borrowed stapler from hotel front desk) when we forgot to bring the packing tape.

As far as a tip goes, any tip is appreciated, whatever you feel comfortable with. $2.00 - $5.00 per bag, again that is a personal preference.

Enjoy your cruise

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

1. Do not put the cruise luggage tags on if you are first flying to the port. They may be taken off by the airline or accidentally ripped off by the baggage handlers of the airlines.

2. Put your luggage tags on the morning you go to the ship. Loop them around a handle. Since you have the self adhesive ones, you're all set. If you don't have those, the easiest way to do this is to ask to borrow a stapler at the hotel front desk. Alternatively, you can buy a small roll of wide, clear shipping tape at a drugstore and use that.

3. Tip the porters at the port $2 to $3 per bag.

NCL just mailed me luggage tags for my upcoming trip. But there are no directions and I have no idea how to put them on my luggage. Are the supposed to just be stuck flat in the middle of my luggage? looped around a handle? ( they are self adhesive). Can you tell I’m a newbie?

Remove 2" of backing from both ends of the luggage tag. So, you now have adhesive tape exposed at both end of the tag. Loop the tag through the handle of your suitcase. Press the two adhesive surfaces together.

Hand your bag over to the porters. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR PASSPORT IN YOUR HANDCARRY.

Tip the porters a couple of dollars per bag.

Hang out until you see the porter place your bags on a cart (so noone walks off with them).

Hi I’m on the escape right now and the cruise is much better with unlimited drinking and internet - I had a backpack and 2 spinners and tipped either $9 or $10. I print my labels on adhesive labels and then wrap them around but also affix one to the bags

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

This is great advice! Thank you all! One thing though these seem to be a very different shape than what Amazon sells as NCL appropriate luggage tag holders. These are 8.5 inches by 2( approx) inches. In other words long and thin. Is this new?

yes, you have it right, just loop over the handle and you are set. The luggage will arrive at the door to your cabin anytime from about 3pm to 7pm. We always carry one smaller piece onto the ship ourselves with a change of cloths just in case the luggage gets lost which is extremely rare. i will add, like someone mentioned, you can actually just wait til you get to the port and let the porters tag your luggage. That is what we do and it has always worked well.

We made a copy of the tags, and placed the copies inside the luggage right on top of the clothes.....if it gets lost, or misplaced, they can open the luggage and see where it goes.....just an extra precaution.

• 1 month later...

I realize this is going to sound like a "novice" cruiser question but I never encountered this until my printer broke and I had to rely on someone else to print my luggage tags. Do they have to be done on a printer that does color? My tags state "maroon" but they are just printed with black ink. Do the porters rely on color coded tags to make certain they go to the correct deck??? Thanks so much

The color doesn’ t Matter. We have stopped printing luggage tags online. When we arrive to the port we ask the porters for the generic tags they have. The write your cabin number on it. They are much stronger than the paper ones you print off.

A more simple solution: 1. Give your bags to the porter. 2. Show the porter your cabin number. 3. Watch the porter write your cabin number on tags they attach to your luggage. 4. Tip the porter. 5. Continue to check-in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I realize this is going to sound like a "novice" cruiser question but I never encountered this until my printer broke and I had to rely on someone else to print my luggage tags. Do they have to be done on a printer that does color? My tags state "maroon" but they are just printed with black ink. Do the porters rely on color coded tags to make certain they go to the correct deck??? Thanks so much ����

B/W fine. The entire ship is the same color.