Something new for last minute bookings?

Hflors

After reading and re-reading the OPs post I have a simple question. Did they book direct with HAL...or through a travel/cruise agency. Not all agencies (and agents) are what I would loosely call reputable...and we would not be surprised at some agents steering a novice towards insurance (it increased their commission).

Hank

Good point........ yes, of course they get commission..... i Ithink in this instance there is a misunderstanding of who said what and what someone thought was said.

You are correct. However, the issue is not whether medical insurance is necessary. It is whether HAL's CPP is a good cancellation policy. It is not, as you pointed out, a medical insurance policy or even travel insurance. If one doesn't have medical insurance which covers you out of the country, which we do have, a med-evac policy is wise.

We need a cancel for any reason policy and a med-evac policy. We do not need a medical insurance policy.

Ifelt it worthwhile to post what I did as to HAL's cancellation policy as there are a great many people who come to this board who are on Medicare ane perhaps they might appreciate knowing just what they would be getting if they select that and not a third party policy. I would hate for them to learn by becoming gill and having an accident while out of the country and being hit with a huge medical bill..... I'd far rather take up the band width here and spell it out. Cancel for any reason is fine but it does not nearly go far enough and for it to provide so little in medical should be known for those on Medicare. when we were working and younger, our medical policy paid anywhere but Medicare does not.

I just pulled my CPP from March, 2017. See the other thread for more detail ( it is “bumped”).

The HAL CAR covers precruise (Section I). The remainder (Section II) is in effect only during the trip and is underwritten by Transamerica Casually Insurance Company. The medical and evacuation limits are low (one can supplement it with a separate policy), interruption is covered, baggage, etc. The limits may not be sufficient for everyone’s needs.

Getting back on track.... after all, this is about whether one now HAS to buy CPP if they buy a cruise after final.....😉

OP: On Page 17 regarding the CPP it says: “The purchase of this plan is not required in order to purchase any other travel product or service offered to you by your travel retailers.”

Again, this is from March, 2017 and the document is dated 1/2016.

I just pulled my CPP from March, 2017. See the other thread for more detail ( it is “bumped”).

The HAL CAR covers precruise (Section I). The remainder (Section II) is in effect only during the trip and is underwritten by Transamerica Casually Insurance Company. The medical and evacuation limits are low (one can supplement it with a separate policy), interruption is covered, baggage, etc. The limits may not be sufficient for everyone’s needs.

Getting back on track.... after all, this is about whether one now HAS to buy CPP if they buy a cruise after final.....😉

OP: On Page 17 regarding the CPP it says: “The purchase of this plan is not required in order to purchase any other travel product or service offered to you by your travel retailers.”

Again, this is from March, 2017 and the document is dated 1/2016.

good post, thanks.

We are constantly amazed at how many cruisers (we are talking across all cruise lines) will spend lots of money to insure a few thousand dollars of a cruise fare (their liability for cancellation is limited to the cost of the cruise) but not be very concerned about the UNLIMITED liability of medical issues. The HAL cancellation/medical policy truly sucks when it comes to the medical limits. While it is true that some elderly passengers have no other reasonable option, anyone under 80 does have other options to obtain much higher limit medical....for less then the cost of cancellation. Personally, we can eat the cost of the cruise (we were paying that money anyway) but no way can we afford to gamble on losing the big bucks for a major medical emergency (which can quickly cost over $100,000) or evacuation cost.

Hank

Wow! Thanks everyone for the discussion. Lots of good points here. My sis bought directly thru HAL. She told me about two days after she booked it that the rep said she had to buy their insurance. She asked me if I had ever heard of this before. Then again the subject of cruise insurance came up and she asked me again. I had no idea if this was something new or what so that is why I started this thread. Since I wasn't in on the conversation I can only relay what she said to me.

We are constantly amazed at how many cruisers (we are talking across all cruise lines) will spend lots of money to insure a few thousand dollars of a cruise fare (their liability for cancellation is limited to the cost of the cruise) but not be very concerned about the UNLIMITED liability of medical issues. The HAL cancellation/medical policy truly sucks when it comes to the medical limits. While it is true that some elderly passengers have no other reasonable option, anyone under 80 does have other options to obtain much higher limit medical....for less then the cost of cancellation. Personally, we can eat the cost of the cruise (we were paying that money anyway) but no way can we afford to gamble on losing the big bucks for a major medical emergency (which can quickly cost over $100,000) or evacuation cost.

Hank

Good point Hank. I remember hearing of a HAL pax that to be evacuated on a South Pacific cruise from Christmas Island to HNL. That's two pilots, one doctor and one nurse and a long range jet. Had to run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I've learned on here a long time ago that I can always eat the cruise cost but always insure what I can't afford out of pocket.

Just spent 750 with TG for insurance for upcoming South Pacific cruise and I pray it was a total waste of money.....

Hank

That is why we always buy separate insurance for health and medical evacuations.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the discussion. Lots of good points here. My sis bought directly thru HAL. She told me about two days after she booked it that the rep said she had to buy their insurance. She asked me if I had ever heard of this before. Then again the subject of cruise insurance came up and she asked me again. I had no idea if this was something new or what so that is why I started this thread. Since I wasn't in on the conversation I can only relay what she said to me.

That is really distressing. I will admit that we do not book with our PCC....because we can save 7-10% (and sometimes more) by using any of our favorite Cruise Agencies. But we have talked with our PCC and cannot imagine her trying to push insurance. But I must say that we have sometimes felt misled by HAL employees (both on the phone and when dealing with future cruise folks on cruises) when it comes to HAL policy. But this had nothing to do with selling insurance....but was rather some inaccurate info dispensed by HAL employees. But HAL is certainly no different then other cruise lines in that the employees do vary from totally amazing to near dismal....with most falling somewhere in between.

Hank

Hank

Thanks Hank for recognizing the point I attempted to make.

Thanks Hank for recognizing the point I attempted to make.

Sail, no one was arguing with you on that point, I clearly said that you were correct as to the need for medical and evacuation coverage. I was stating what my needs are; not yours nor anyone else's needs I don't understand this back and forth.

We are c The HAL cancellation/medical policy truly sucks when it comes to the medical limits.$100,000) or evacuation cost.

Hank

It sucks because it is not a medical policy and is not sold as such. It is a cancel for any reason policy which is designed to supplement medical and evacuation insurance. And that is what we use it for.

Sail, no one was arguing with you on that point, I clearly said that you were correct as to the need for medical and evacuation coverage. I was stating what my needs are; not yours nor anyone else's needs I don't understand this back and forth.

Whoa......... You don't understand my agreeing with Hank?? Okay, :cool:.

We looked at HAL's medical insurance. I think it was $10K limit.

I started to laugh when the CSR explained it to me. I thought at first maybe she meant $10K deductable. We declined. No cheese there.

We self insure for cancel for any reason because we usually book inside the final payment window. We buy a more comprehensive medical/evac policy.

We make a point of never buying insurance through a travel provider. We find that a policy direct with the insurance carrier yields better coverage for less cost.

Edited by iancal

I'm pretty sure there has either been a bit of miscommunication involved or more worryingly some rather dodgy 'up selling' ... There is no way you can be forced to buy insurance from a cruise line ...

I also always book last minute.

Maybe time to phone HAL and get the matter sorted out ?

I have never been required to take insurance (just booked yesterday for example).

Likely what the person was told was that since they were past final payment day, IF they wanted HAL insurance they HAD to take it that day (or it would not be available after that).

This is the most likely scenario :)

We just booked a last minute cruise, and did it ourselves online. The insurance is listed and I first thought it was required....thought HAL had figured out a new way to nickel and dime me. I even considered NOT continuing with my booking as it really irritated me a lot. Then I reread and saw that there was the option to decline, but it was confusing and I think it could easily be construed as required.

We are both 5 star, often book ourselves and never remember seeing this before.

Barbara

This optional step for insurance when booking on line is very, very common on many travel sites. We experience it more often than not. Even Hotwire has it now.

On some web sits the option to decline is less obvious and on others it seems to me that they disguise it a little in the hope that the customer will buy it without noticing until after the transaction (often non refundable) is complete.

Good to hear that this is not the case on HAL. But when booking on line one certainly has to read, review, and then review one last time prior to hitting the buy button.