How Would You Feel...

Cujo01

If your cruise (next week) depended on whether or not the government shuts down tonight? My wife’s leave, as a civilian working for the US Air Force will be cancelled. We’ve rescheduled three times for health reasons (me, cancer), now the government gets in the way. We are both retired USAF, I was a fighter pilot for 20 years, she was in intelligence. Her total service time is 36 years. Stunning. I appreciate you saying “Thanks for your service”, but for the first time in my life, I wonder if it was worth it. I’m so disappointed in our government.

I checked with my travel insurance, there is a clause for “military” leave cancellation. When I called CSA Insurance, “...for the tape, is she military or a civilian?” “You can submit your claim, but”... i’m Holding my breath.

If your cruise (next week) depended on whether or not the government shuts down tonight? My wife’s leave, as a civilian working for the US Air Force will be cancelled. We’ve rescheduled three times for health reasons (me, cancer), now the government gets in the way. We are both retired USAF, I was a fighter pilot for 20 years, she was in intelligence. Her total service time is 36 years. Stunning. I appreciate you saying “Thanks for your service”, but for the first time in my life, I wonder if it was worth it. I’m so disappointed in our government.

Bummer. Hope it all works out for you. Been there. 95-96 furloughed but got paid for time lost. AL not authorized. 2013 furloughed for 11 days and did not get paid for time lost. AL not authorized. Luckily I didn't have any AL pre scheduled during the furlough periods. Retired (2014) after 39 years as a Civilian working for the US Air Force. Agree AL for your cruise but can't be used during shutdowns. Not sure what scheduling 3x's for SL has to do with going on a cruise. Possibly I not understanding that part.

Edited by davekathy

If the government shuts down , won't she be "on leave" anyway?

No she won't. If Gov't shuts down her leave would be canceled. When I was working for DOD during the 1995 shutdown we had to show up on Monday, Mandatory, unpaid, even as an Essential worker. This even if I was supposed be on leave on a cruise. If similar situation OP can't take cruise. We were unpaid for while, can't remember how long shutdown was then but when budget was passed they did pay us later... Cujo01, hope it all works out for you...

As much as I wouldn't like it, it's one of those things that we all have to live with. For you it is a cruise. For many others if there is a shutdown, there is no pay, there are no benefits, basic services are non existent.

My husband was Federal govt, 32 years. Now retired. Son in the military as we speak.

It reminds me of the various reserve troops that love getting the pay and the benefits for their 2 weeks duty and monthly weekends - But, when called up for active duty, so many of them scream "unfair". They knew what they signed up for. As for essential civilian workers, you might not have know it on day one, but it should not come as a surprise by now.

Hope all works out for you. This Might have been a good case for cruise insurance.

I’m sorry to hear that, I know how much you probably need that break after your health issues. Hopefully your travel insurance does the right thing, mine covers ‘work reasons’, you might check yours vs trying to use the military coverage.

That really sucks. Hope that doesn’t happen. However, when we pick our careers, we weigh the pros and cons of what we’re getting into, and while working for the government gives great retirement benefits etc, you lose an extreme amount of control over your life. It’s like when people sign up for ROTC in order to get free college and then act surprised when they get called to duty...that’s what they signed up for, and that’s why there was a benefit attached to it.

I feel sorry for you, but you also signed up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exceedingly annoyed. I served, and my husband is still in. I don't know the exact dollar amount, but I've lost in the thousands of dollars due to cancelled and moved vacations. I've gotten smarter, but we recently had to move our cruise due to deployment, and it cost us $700 to move the flight ($200 per ticket change fee plus a $300 price difference). Nonrefundable flights just cost too much (twice as much). I hope it works out for you.

I feel your pain, my husband works for TSA so an essential employee. He will be working without pay and this means if it goes on too long we will be pulling money out of I-bonds and losing the interest invested in them. This situation comes up way too often and I don't understand why we are pawns in this big game between two parties that have for a long time now, had trouble agreeing on anything.

Thank you for your service and hopefully your cruise insurance will cover you, or perhaps there will be a last minute miracle.

It sucks to think there is a chance that my husband's activity duty pay won't come. We are lucky to be in an area with grocery stores at least. I would be livid if the inability to do their job in DC was the reason my vacation was cancelled. It looks like we are in for a bumpy ride until they manage to do their job and get the government running. Maybe it will only be a day, and your cruise can still happen.

28 days prior to a family vacation on a cruise to Hawaii, my son-in-law was one of the first reserve units activated after 9/11. We had planned it for over a year. Flights, cruise, pre and post hotel. We had cruised several times before, and my son-in-law didn't think travel insurance was necessary. That's the last cruise we took without travel insurance.

That really sucks. Hope that doesn’t happen. However, when we pick our careers, we weigh the pros and cons of what we’re getting into, and while working for the government gives great retirement benefits etc, you lose an extreme amount of control over your life. It’s like when people sign up for ROTC in order to get free college and then act surprised when they get called to duty...that’s what they signed up for, and that’s why there was a benefit attached to it.

I feel sorry for you, but you also signed up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Poster is Federal Employee not military, isn't same thing. They didn't "sign up for this". Situation is because Washington can't get their act together, again...