How Would You Feel...

Cujo01

I was on a cruise during the last shutdown. While I’m a nonessential federal employee, one of my traveling companions was an essential employee for a federal law enforcement agency in DC. Because she already had leave scheduled, she had to work it out with her supervisors, but she was able to go. Your wife should talk to her superiors about the situation. It’s possible she will still be able to go, especially if there are others that can cover for her, the way they would when it’s not shut down. Hang in there. You may still be able to work it out.

Brooke sent this from her iPad using Tapatalk

Hope you can work it out OP.

I'm non essential and have a B2B starting in a week. If it lasts 3 weeks I will be off for vacation and save 2 weeks annual leave. How nice that would be.

Both sides are to blame, our system is broken beyond repair.

Hope you can work it out OP.

I'm non essential and have a B2B starting in a week. If it lasts 3 weeks I will be off for vacation and save 2 weeks annual leave. How nice that would be.

Both sides are to blame, our system is broken beyond repair.

Sorry for your inconvenience. By the way how do both sides get there? But this reminds me of how the old cruises worked. We are treated like passengers in steerage. While the first class is schmoozing and eating the finest meals we are stuck in steerage with left over crumbs. Too bad the government doesn't have a governcritic.com website and actually listens to both their bosses and customers.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. It’s one thing to miss a vacation, but our hearts go out to all of those who may not see a paycheck in the coming weeks. With the new day comes perspective. We pray that our country can somehow heal.

If your cruise (next week) depended on whether or not the government shuts down tonight? My wife’s leave, as a civilian working for the US Air Force will be cancelled. We’ve rescheduled three times for health reasons (me, cancer), now the government gets in the way. We are both retired USAF, I was a fighter pilot for 20 years, she was in intelligence. Her total service time is 36 years. Stunning. I appreciate you saying “Thanks for your service”, but for the first time in my life, I wonder if it was worth it. I’m so disappointed in our government.

Hopefully you have already done this.....try to make a case with the USAF to still allow your vacation. Each agency does have some autonomy in this scenario, meaning they can still approve leave for things like a non-refundable pre-planned vacation. I work for the USCG as a civilian and the guidance we received yesterday did have a caveat for this exact scenario. Please look in to this and let us know how it worked out.

Hopefully you have already done this.....try to make a case with the USAF to still allow your vacation. Each agency does have some autonomy in this scenario, meaning they can still approve leave for things like a non-refundable pre-planned vacation. I work for the USCG as a civilian and the guidance we received yesterday did have a caveat for this exact scenario. Please look in to this and let us know how it worked out.

Thanks for this, she’ll definitely look into it on Monday.

I hope this worked out.

But if non-essential, you only have to show up Monday for 4 hours.

Even though leave is canceled, if you are on furlough, you are not working. And if the furlough is over, your leave should start.

I am Fed civilian (former A-10 driver) that is in a group that has a lot of Zero Year money, so we keep on working. No paid time off.

Yes, I do realize that the pay comes later, and that it could be a problem for some.

I hope this worked out.

But if non-essential...

I am Fed civilian (former A-10 driver) that is in a group that has a lot of Zero Year money, so we keep on working.

She is essential. We’ll find our more tomorrow I guess. Side note, I also flew Hogs at Myrtle Beach in the early 80’s. Thanks for the response.

Best to remember this come November.
Yeah, I wonder WHY we the people keep putting up with this stuff.

OP, I hope it works out for you. The people who protect us shouldn't be treated like this.

I would feel that this is something I signed up for. I would know that there is always a risk this could happen and if I didn't want to take this risk I would work in the private sector.

Really? You're saying that it's a military person's own fault because she knew the government could potentially shut down and cancel a previously approved leave? You really want to stick with that answer?

I would feel that this is something I signed up for. I would know that there is always a risk this could happen and if I didn't want to take this risk I would work in the private sector.

Actually, what I signed up for was to protect your right to free speech, regardless of how much I might disagree with it. Here’s hoping it lasts a long time.

Really? You're saying that it's a military person's own fault because she knew the government could potentially shut down and cancel a previously approved leave? You really want to stick with that answer?

I'm not saying its their fault. Im saying that each career we pick comes with certain risks, responsibilities, rewards, benefits.

If you don't want to be woken up at 3am to get called into the hospital then don't be a doctor. If you don't want to be shot at or spit on by criminals don't be a cop. If you don't want to run into burning buildings don't be a firefighter.

Doctors work hard as hell and have a tremendous amount of responsibilty. But they get paid well and their profession gives them a certain amount of prestige. Cops are under tremendous stress, but they get good benefits and can retire after 20-25 years. Firefighters are putting their safety at risk but they too have good benefits.

As another poster stated when you work for the government you usually have great benefits, better pay than the private sector and don't have to produce as much as in the private sector. But you also know that once every few years there is a chance the government will be shut down and you will have to miss out on your cruise vacation. Its a calculated risk. The OP knew there was a small risk this could happen. Its not like they had no idea.

Im sorry they have to go through this. I think our government is completely broken and our politicians are all crooked as hell. I hope things work out for the OP. I don't think they deserve this and i don't think its their fault. But the OP asked how would i feel. And i told them how i would feel. So not that its any of your business but yes that is the answer I'm sticking with.

Poster is Federal Employee not military, isn't same thing. They didn't "sign up for this". Situation is because Washington can't get their act together, again...

Anyone old enough to be an adult aware of government jobs in 95/96 knows that this is a possibility. And that’s not the only time this has happened. I was fresh out of grad school at my moms house during it. She had to go to work; stepdad the manager at the same “agency” did not.

So...anyone working in govt should be aware that this can happen.

Doesn’t mean it’s their “fault”, but it should temper the disappointment. My stepdad was paid quite well for his time starting in the OSS, and my mom was able to put me through nice college with just her salary. They had great insurance and other benefits. There were many upsides to get stepdad through however long that shutdown was back then. And I assume the OP has had some of the same benefits.

Anyone old enough to be an adult aware of government jobs in 95/96 knows that this is a possibility. And that’s not the only time this has happened. I was fresh out of grad school at my moms house during it. She had to go to work; stepdad the manager at the same “agency” did not.

So...anyone working in govt should be aware that this can happen.

Doesn’t mean it’s their “fault”, but it should temper the disappointment. My stepdad was paid quite well for his time starting in the OSS, and my mom was able to put me through nice college with just her salary. They had great insurance and other benefits. There were many upsides to get stepdad through however long that shutdown was back then. And I assume the OP has had some of the same benefits.

Exactly! No one said its the OP's fault. No one said we weren't greatful for their service. No one said they deserve this.

Actually, what I signed up for was to protect your right to free speech, regardless of how much I might disagree with it. Here’s hoping it lasts a long time.

I’m glad you posted this reply... and thank you for your service.

To answer your initial question - I would feel mad as hell!

The selfless “choice” you made to serve and protect should trump standard rules when it comes to situations like these needing refunds or rescheduling. I feel the same for all Emergancy Response PD/Firefighers etc.

(Before I get flamed for “where does it begin and end” - let’s start with putting your life on the line... we can go from there)

In fairness to the the post... until my own son enlisted about a year ago, I had NO understanding to the lack of deservingness that our Military does not receive and I may have said something as ignorant.

Proud AF Mom! HUA!

You asked for my opinion and I gave it to you.

Btw thank you for your service and i really do hope everything works out for you.

She is essential. We’ll find our more tomorrow I guess. Side note, I also flew Hogs at Myrtle Beach in the early 80’s. Thanks for the response.

And, it is over. :)

We should talk sometime. I was a guard baby with MDANG in the early 80s.

Too bad no PMs here. But you can find me on other forums as Pinecone.

And yes, I got THAT name in the Hog.

A hog, viper and Phantom driver all on the same page. Small world/sky indeed.

Thinking good thoughts.

You just don't want to be there if we meet up. :D

I had a fun few evenings in Lisbon last summer. Met a former A-6/EA-6B driver flying a privately owned jet. Then last night, joined by an F-14/F/A-18 guy.

It got a bit wild. :D