Flat iron incident

If not, it was a 110v unit plugged into the 220v outlet, and since the voltage doubled, the amperage doubled, and hence the wattage doubled (the power or heat).

No, the resistance would be the same and there for the amperage would be the same. But the power ("wattage") would double since Voltage x Amperage = Power.

No, the resistance would be the same and there for the amperage would be the same. But the power ("wattage") would double since Voltage x Amperage = Power.

Last I knew, Ohm's law says: V= I x R or I = V/R. Since V doubles, and R is the same, then I is double.

But I was incorrect, since both the voltage and the current doubled, the power is quadrupled. Thanks for making me search my memory deeper.

Last I knew, Ohm's law says: V= I x R or I = V/R. Since V doubles, and R is the same, then I is double.

But I was incorrect, since both the voltage and the current doubled, the power is quadrupled. Thanks for making me search my memory deeper.

Why would the R change?

Why would the R change?

If you look, I said that R is the same.

Examples: 100 ohm resistance.

110 volt/100 ohm = 1.1 amp

220 volt/100 ohm = 2.2 amp

110 volt x 1.1 amp = 121 watt

220 volt x 2.2 amp = 484 watt

:D I looked it up because my knee jerk reaction was maybe it was the meat packing district. Flat Iron is one of my favorite steaks. So it was for my own information as well.

I wonder where the Rump building is then?

Oh, Hang on, is it near Central Park's south west corner ?:D

No, a surge protector only protects against high voltage, like lightning strikes. Was the flat iron usable after the incident? If not, it was a 110v unit plugged into the 220v outlet, and since the voltage doubled, the amperage doubled, and hence the wattage doubled (the power or heat). Even if it was a "dual voltage" unit (rated for 100-240v), the power converter "brick" on the iron may be not quite right, and allowing too much current.

Surge protectors are prohibited on ships as a fire hazard.

Note: doubling both voltage and current results in quadrupling wattage!

Yes, I can't count the number of hair dryers, and other things (mainly electronics in the past) that were 110v and plugged into a 220v outlet using a plug adapter. Depending on how much plastic is in the hair dryer or flat iron, you usually end up with a fist full of melted plastic. All depends on how quickly the heating elements burn through and interrupt the circuit.

If you look, I said that R is the same.

Examples: 100 ohm resistance.

110 volt/100 ohm = 1.1 amp

220 volt/100 ohm = 2.2 amp

110 volt x 1.1 amp = 121 watt

220 volt x 2.2 amp = 484 watt

So if if plug my 110V waffle maker into a 220V outlet will it cook my blueberry waffles 4X faster? ;p

• 1 month later...

Do the problems with shorting out the ship's circuit or the appliance occur if you plug the type of plug that is standard in the US (2 blades or 2 blades and a post) directly into an outlet configured the same way? In other words is the problem created only if you must use an adapter/converter?

Thanks.

Vicki

Do the problems with shorting out the ship's circuit or the appliance occur if you plug the type of plug that is standard in the US (2 blades or 2 blades and a post) directly into an outlet configured the same way? In other words is the problem created only if you must use an adapter/converter?

Thanks.

Vicki

If you plug the type of plug that is standard in the US (2 blades or 2 blades and a post) directly into an outlet configured the same way you should have no problems.

If you have to use an adapter from a US plug then you need to be very careful to ensure the appliance or charger is a duel voltage one.

But there may be times when it is possible to put US plug directly into an outlet that is not a standard US one without an adaptor as some ships and hotels have universal sockets. Be very, very careful in this case. Make sure you know what voltage that socket delivers. If in doubt, don't plug the appliance or charger in unless it is dual voltage.

OP, On that cruise, did you use your fla t iron sucessfully prior to the hair burn incident ? If it worked fine prior, that might give a clue as to how you had the unhappy experience.

This was a different flat iron. The one I used before was the type where you could adjust the level of heat (just like a curling iron). I always kept the heat level more to the lower side. Maybe that ability caused it to overheat.

I'm just glad this one seems to work🙂