10:30 AM Flight out of FLL doable?

jonsmom

We’ve made flights that departed as early as 8:30am (we were going through airport security at 7:30am), but for our last cruise in July, we made it to our departure gate about 20 minutes before our 10:45am flight departed. Our ship arrived on time, we did self assist debarkation, but things were moving painfully slow clearing customs getting off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please also consider what would happen if you miss the flight. When is the next one? Would there be a fee for going standby on the next flight? What if the next flight and the one after and so forth are all full that day? That isn’t unusual on a cruise day.

Please also consider what would happen if you miss the flight. When is the next one? Would there be a fee for going standby on the next flight? What if the next flight and the one after and so forth are all full that day? That isn’t unusual on a cruise day.

And another thing to add to the mix. That is too early for luggage valet. If that is a service which is important to you book a later flight

We've made 10am flights with plenty of time to spare. Be sure to use Mobile Passport on your phone and you can bypass much of the customs line. And walk off by 8am. Airport is only 10 minutes away.

This assumes you're able-bodied and no problem walking your bags off yourself and grabbing a taxi or Uber.

One other thing is that I'm assuming you're arriving to Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale. If you're arriving at Port of Miami, all bets are off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We have made a 10:00 AM flight from FLL. We (and several hundred of our "closest friends") did the self disembark, there were two other ships in port, and we spent 30 minutes in customs, 10 minutes in the taxi line and made it to the gate by 9:20 AM.

BUT...

We did not sleep well the night before, in fact we spent the last day of the cruise fretting about making the flight. We had no other flight option as we needed to be back home at a specific date and time.

Now that we are both retired and have the flexibility to stay a day after the cruise we are able to enjoy the entire cruise, a leisurely breakfast and a relaxed disembarkment.

In short, yes, you can do it, but... good luck.

Too close unless everything goes exactly right. No idea why you would end a great vacation with that kind of stress.

I have a 945. But good travel insurance. Other trips did walk off at at airport 3 hrs prior to departure for 1130 flight. Keeping fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, if you self disembark amongst first group and having Global Entry and TSA precheck helps. We have done 1030 flights many times out of FLL

We also have done a 10:30 flight out of FLL. We do self-disembark (get in line early), have Global Entry and TSA precheck. And always do a taxi from the ship.

We have made a 10:30 flight in Ft. Lauderdale from Port Everglades with no problem.

BUT, that is if everything goes smoothly and there are no delays. I wouldn't do it unless there was no other good option--which for us that time there wasn't. Have a back-up plan if you try it.

I ran into this same problem today when flights opened up for our return trip from FLL back to Long Island. The flight times, stop-overs, and pricing made it so difficult to choose what would work for us. I wound up booking a 10:15am flight and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. My only hope is that because we will be PH guests that the Michaels club concierge can assist us in some way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There’s a post over on the Royal Caribbean site that says an 8:15 flight is doable. In fact one person said they made a 6:15 am flight. If you believe that, go fo it.

We made an 8:30am flight but I can’t see how a 6:15am flight is remotely doable, unless I’m able to be off the ship by 5:00am, or if the ship arrives the day before and we spend the night in port.

For the record, we would NEVER book a flight that early, but on the specific time we took an 8:30am flight we were planning on taking a later flight, but as we drove to the airport at 7:00 and I realized there was an earlier flight, I got on the phone and listed us for that earlier flight. We arrived at the airport and proceeded straight to the gate with all of our luggage (no checked luggage). It worked out that time, but otherwise I would’ve never attempted such a thing.

I have a 945. But good travel insurance.

Keep in mind that if you book a flight outside of the cruise line’s recommended times and miss it, any claim associated with a missed flight will be denied by most insurance companies. Read the fine print of your specific policy so that there are no surprises should you find yourself in that situation.

I think your decision has to be based on how well you and your spouse handle stress....I admit I do not handle it well and when I am stressed out I tend to make mistakes and "lose" things....like passports, boarding passes, ID...I was faced with same decision yesterday when I was booking our return flights from Silhouette in March. We had a choice between 10 a.m. or 5 p.m. DH suggested it would be better for both our mental health to take the 5 p.m....have b'fast on board, leave behind the madness...have a leisurely lunch at the airport and time for a quick dinner in BWI before our final flight. It's not for everybody.....but you're not everybody so do what you can live comfortably with.

BTW as an aside.....it you're arriving at the airport 4+ hours ahead of flight time check-in with the curbside check-in....they'll take your luggage when you get there....the airlines sometimes won't let you check in until 3 hours before flight (Southwest).

There’s a post over on the Royal Caribbean site that says an 8:15 flight is doable. In fact one person said they made a 6:15 am flight. If you believe that, go fo it.

So was the 6:15am flight the next day? There is no way that could even happen if it was day the ship returned as they usually aren't cleared for customs until 7 or so. I guess they will also be up for buying ocean front property in Arizona. Sometimes you just gotta laugh at some of the posts.

Just to be clear I am referring to the RC post stating the 6:15am flight, not the OP. We have done an 11:00am flight but never one before then. We have had no issue making the 11:00am, but if conditions are all perfect, 10:30am is doable. I just can't handle the added stress that it brings me so we normally do a leter flight or even stay a day or two after the cruise ends.

We've made 10am flights with plenty of time to spare. Be sure to use Mobile Passport on your phone and you can bypass much of the customs line. And walk off by 8am. Airport is only 10 minutes away.

This assumes you're able-bodied and no problem walking your bags off yourself and grabbing a taxi or Uber.

One other thing is that I'm assuming you're arriving to Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale. If you're arriving at Port of Miami, all bets are off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Mobile Passport wasn't working the last time we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale. The lines were horrendous! We got Global Entry for just that reason.