Primer?

vacationhappy

Hi - We are avid ocean cruisers but have never taken a river cruise. We usually book on Celebrity or Princess depending on itinerary. We understand that river cruising is slower and does not offer big boat activities but we are interested in giving it a go. I am looking for a starting point in terms of the companies that offer river cruises - there seem to be many. How does Viking compare to AMA or to Uni? Or others?

Hi - We are avid ocean cruisers but have never taken a river cruise. We usually book on Celebrity or Princess depending on itinerary. We understand that river cruising is slower and does not offer big boat activities but we are interested in giving it a go. I am looking for a starting point in terms of the companies that offer river cruises - there seem to be many. How does Viking compare to AMA or to Uni? Or others?

Everyone has an opinion on this issue. We've been very pleased with Uniworld (doing #3 with them next month); however Viking, AMA, etc., all have their cheerleaders. I'd start my research by which line offers what itinerary and go from there.

Happy research!

When I was beginning our search. I requested brochures from most of companies that seem to have good reviews on CC. Then we decided itinerary.

Finally, really evaluated price and product. Our TA really thought we would like Uniworld the best (this TA had put together other trips for our group)...and we thought so too especially because of their "all inclusive" pricing. However most in our group really wanted at least a large window that opened if not a french balcony in order to do that the upgrade on Uniworld's older ship (which was what they were using on our itinerary) it was a huge jump in price. We did not want pull down single beds so that left out Grand Circle.

Decided on Viking's Budapest to Amsterdam next September. Our group of 10 is pretty flexible and have traveled together frequently although there are compromises with Viking (no bikes onboard, early payment, not all-inclusive, no self- laundry) we are anticipating a great time!

Enjoy the planning.

Keep reading these boards and you'll get a pretty good idea of which line has many fans and which line doesn't. Viking seems to have the most postings and they range from "loved it" to "hated it" and everything in between. AMA seems to get consistently high marks. Vantage is my personal favorite and Uniworld seems to be more positive than negative. It can be very helpful if you read all the posts and trip reviews and then check out itineraries and things that are included before you make a decision. One thing we all agree on is that we LOVE river cruising!!!!

We chose Avalon because it was one of the very few who had the itinerary we wanted, with the lowest per diem rate with largest cabin size (and fridges in the cabins because one main reason we chose our itinerary is beer tasting:D)

I started reading this forum ~5 years ago and started in earnest earlier this year when we decided to finally book a river cruise. I'm still resistant - my husband is the one who's always wanted to do it - and we have 2 sets of parents who will be coming with us - my in-laws have done 5 river cruises and my mom has not done any. So it should be interesting:D

Edited by Hoyaheel

I started reading this forum ~5 years ago and started in earnest earlier this year when we decided to finally book a river cruise. I'm still resistant - my husband is the one who's always wanted to do it -

It was the other way around for us. DH was resistant, and I wanted to try it. I finally just said "we're going" - and let him pick the itinerary...

That was 5 years and 7 river cruises ago... and we have never looked back.

We have travelled with Scenic (x2), Uniworld (x 3), AMA and Viking. Our next cruise (June '14) is with Avalon - and just booked with Viking again for 2015.

For us --> We pick itinerary, then dates - then look for prices.

You need to know what type of traveller you are - and what is important to you in a holiday. Then you can start to narrow down your options.

Have fun with your planning!

Fran

vacationhappy ~ I can well understand "where you are" searching for info regarding River Cruising!! And I shouldn't even be answering since we've verterans of only one RC and packing for our second - leaving in 12 days (hurray!!) for a Viking Rhine Christmas Cruise!! But here's my "two cents!

In our case it was DH who suggested a RC. We had always enjoyed ocean crusing - being itinerary driven - the Baltic, the Mediterranean, etc. - mainly Europe as the Caribbean wasn't our "thing". Enjoying wine, we decided on a Rhone River cruise, mainly so we could visit Chateauneuf du Pape!! I went with an "open mind" but with a big ? as to how I could do without a spa? an indoor pool (love the Summit & Constellation!)? evening shows? Martini bar? big aft balcony?

But, I feel in love with RCing!!! I'll admit its not for everyone but I really did enjoy docking so close to the town/city and the fewer people and even the excursions - we had previously almost always taken small group (8-10 people) private excursions on the Ocean cruises. We came home and booked 2 more cruises - this one for 2013 and one to the Bordeaux for 2014, mainly since the ships are so small they sell out so quickly!

My suggestion, similar to others, is to look at itineraries, find something you think you'd enjoy. Then read comments about it here on CC. Then look at all the cruise lines that have the itinerary and compare here on CC. Unfortunately, just like ocean cruising, there's no perfect fit for everyone! We traveled Celebrity - except for one RCCL cruise - and just loved it! But others would say NCL or Princess was the only way to go. Same with RCing - most people have their favorite, in many cases because of loyality perks. And, BYW, we haven't rulled out further ocean crusing - I'd go away every month if we could afford it!!! But, again, our trips are itinerary driven and I'm saying that's right or wrong just our way of travelling.

Good Luck with your decision!!!!!

This time last year we had to make a decision on which cruise line and which river etc. After many many hours reading the good and bad about each cruise line and looking at dates that would suit, we picked Avalon Basel to Amsterdam.

Our decision was influenced by size of stateroom, French balcony, mix of passengers and only having free drinks at dinner. We believe we made the right choice as the trip was so good in July 2013 we have booked another cruise with them in July 2014.

The decision is even clearer after reading all the shocking stories on how people were treated on 2 - 3 of the very popular cruise lines, when the things go bad, like floods and lock issues. A lot of those issues or refunds have still not been resolved. I would never consider those lines after the way they treated 1000's of customers so poorly.

For my contribution if you're looking for a river cruise where after you pay the advertised price you're not going to have to put your hand into your pocket at cruise end then I recommend Tauck. Except if you choose to use their laundry service you will find them truly all-inclusive. It's rare that you'll see any harsh criticism about them because they are that good. I've sailed with them in the past and I'm booked to sail with them again next year. There are many companies to choose from and I'm pretty sure you'll find one that suits your needs. Welcome to the choosing phase.

In my opinion, only

Viking-Carnival, NCL

Vantage/GCT-Princess

Tauck-Silverseas/Seabourn

I am sorry, I cannot comment on Uniworld or AMA

Just out of curiosity, after looking at your trip list on the referenced website, interested on how you came up with this comparison.

Just out of curiosity, after looking at your trip list on the referenced website, interested on how you came up with this comparison.

I have not bothered to list the 40 odd cruises I have been on.

I have read all the reviews, along with the interview with the Viking people. I have looked at all the mailings I have gotten, and as I said, it is my opinion alone.

What you see is a list with my present wife, but I was married for 30 years to my late wife, and we did many river and ocean cruises.

For my contribution if you're looking for a river cruise where after you pay the advertised price you're not going to have to put your hand into your pocket at cruise end then I recommend Tauck. Except if you choose to use their laundry service you will find them truly all-inclusive. It's rare that you'll see any harsh criticism about them because they are that good. I've sailed with them in the past and I'm booked to sail with them again next year. There are many companies to choose from and I'm pretty sure you'll find one that suits your needs. Welcome to the choosing phase.

I just came back from my 4th Viking Cruise. They include everything also.

They take you on a tour every day and have champagne at breakfast and wine and beer with lunch and dinner. They pick you up at the airport when you arrive and take you back when you leave.

I think most people like what they are familiar with so they keep going with the same line.

After 17 river cruises--4 with Viking--I can truthfully say they are not all inclusive. The only way you get transfers is to take their air or pay about 100 dollars per person. They do include beer, wine and soft drinks at lunch and dinner--champagne at breakfast. Drinks at other times you pay for. Tips are not included. Right now the only lines that are truly all inclusive are Tauck and Scenic--Uniworld joins next season. There are many good lines out there, but research will find the right one for you. Good luck, but be careful river cruising can be addictive. Pat

After 17 river cruises--4 with Viking--I can truthfully say they are not all inclusive. The only way you get transfers is to take their air or pay about 100 dollars per person. They do include beer, wine and soft drinks at lunch and dinner--champagne at breakfast. Drinks at other times you pay for. Tips are not included. Right now the only lines that are truly all inclusive are Tauck and Scenic--Uniworld joins next season. There are many good lines out there, but research will find the right one for you. Good luck, but be careful river cruising can be addictive. Pat

That was well explained Pat. I realise that travelling with an all-inclusive line is not for everyone but it's the only way I'll travel these days. As an Aussie I'm very happy that the tips and everything else in paid for upfront. I'm waiting for the next change when all-inclusive includes laundry charges. The Viking family on these boards are very supportive of their line, as they should be but they have a long way to go before they can call themselves all-inclusive.

Viking also doesn't include all excursions. There is another thread asking if Rudesheim is worth $59 per person on their Viking cruise. On AMA (as I'm sure on Tauck, Uniworld and the other top lines) there were choices but all excursions on the cruise were included.

Viking also doesn't include all excursions. There is another thread asking if Rudesheim is worth $59 per person on their Viking cruise. On AMA (as I'm sure on Tauck, Uniworld and the other top lines) there were choices but all excursions on the cruise were included.

Unless AMA has changed, there were optionals available at an added charge after the included excursion was finished. Uniworld had the same as well - although that may change next year when it is truly all inclusive.

Most (if not all) have an included excursion. Not all have optionals.

Fran

. As an Aussie I'm very happy that the tips and everything else in paid for upfront. I'm waiting for the next change when all-inclusive includes laundry charges.

As past passengers of Uniworld, we get some laundry done on each trip (think it is one laundry bag for each week of the trip....). On our recent Scenic cruise, people in the suites did get laundry done (I *think*)....

Fran

Unless AMA has changed, there were optionals available at an added charge after the included excursion was finished. Uniworld had the same as well - although that may change next year when it is truly all inclusive.

Most (if not all) have an included excursion. Not all have optionals.

Fran

I haven't studied every AMA itinerary, but there were no optional excursions on our Enchanting Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) nor are there any shown on our upcoming Provence & Spain cruise (Lyon to Arles). Every tour was included.

We enjoyed Avalon and I just booked our 2nd riverboat cruise today. Avalon is Not all inclusive. Fine with us. We would rather not pay for something we don't need or want such as alcohol at lunch or transfer by large coach bus when we prefer car service. We enjoy river boats for the ability to be located in the center of small towns or large cities for touring. The travel between places is peaceful and enjoyable As for tipping you can prepay on Avalon and add that cost to the total price. I prefer to tip the guides based on their engagement with us. Transfers to the airport can also be prepaid. There are extra half day tours you can purchase but you also have the option of touring on your own or simply relaxing on the ship instead of going on a tour only because its already paid for. I'm far from cheap but I dislike wasting money too lol.

I haven't studied every AMA itinerary, but there were no optional excursions on our Enchanting Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) nor are there any shown on our upcoming Provence & Spain cruise (Lyon to Arles). Every tour was included.

We did the Blue Danube Discovery, and there were optionals in Budapest (trip to Puszta), Vienna (trip to the Schonbrunn Palace), Passau (trip to Salzburg instead) and Prague (folklore show). These are still listed for 2014.

Fran

We did the Blue Danube Discovery, and there were optionals in Budapest (trip to Puszta), Vienna (trip to the Schonbrunn Palace), Passau (trip to Salzburg instead) and Prague (folklore show). These are still listed for 2014.

Fran

Thanks. I haven't looked into that cruise (yet). I know from Ocean cruising that each line's definition of "all-inclusive" leaves some things out.