Air2Sea - my Trip delay experience

JuliaMS

I wanted to share my experience with Air 2 Sea with anyone considering using it.

My flight home was Aug 12 (This is not HurricaneHarvey related)

I booked my air with Air2Sea specifically because I was flying during hurricane season in and out of Puerto Rico. The flight home from the cruise was into DFW then change planes home to LAX. DFW Closed due to a thunderstorm and our AA flight did not have enough fuel to circle so we were diverted to Austin for fuel and to wait. By the time we landed in Austin, DFW was open again but now we had to wait for fuel. There was no way we would make our connection back in Dallas.

While sitting on the tarmac in Austin I called Air2Sea day of travel emergency number to see if they could help us rebook. I was told I had to contact the airline and do whatever they advised, they would not handle rebooking us or help us get a hotel. I asked about the cost of a hotel and again was told contact the airline. The airline rebooked us for the next day but because it was weather related there were no meal or hotel vouchers.

Once home I called Air2Sea thinking the person I talked to the day of travel could not be correct. I was told that because it was weather related “The delay was not caused by a failure of our system”it was the airline and the airport and they would not reimburse for my hotel,cab and meal. I asked about their guarantees and was told “we only promise to get you to your destination and we did the next day”. They said any delay caused by the airline, airport or FAA has to be taken up with the airline. I asked “So you guarantee to get us to our destination but not the expenses related to it” and they said that is correct. She said all they do is book the flight for us, any issues with travel are between me and the airline and not them.

I wanted to share my story for others to understand what they guarantee and what they don’t. I found their flight selections to be few and on more expensive flights but I booked it because I thought they would be there to help so I went ahead and booked the more expensive flight. The web site says “rest easy knowing we’re doing everything possible to ensure that your next cruise vacation takes off and lands smoothly from beginning to end.”. Evidently everything possible ends at telling you to contact the airline, it’s not their fault.

I do recommend outside travel insurance, the claim was easy to file and they covered the costs Air2Sea did not.

Also, a coupe weeks before the cruise they changed our flights. They changed all four legs and the airports we transferred thru (DFW instead of Miami). I called and they had no explanation as to why it was changed. The flight was not canceled because the airline was still selling seats on those flights. When I purchased the flights 7 months before the cruise I had carefully selected the flights taking into account total travel time, the traffic to and from LAX and our arrival time in Puerto Rico.

So lesson learned, I hope someone else can use this information in their decision making.

Edited by JuliaMS

I wanted to share my experience with Air 2 Sea with anyone considering using it.

I booked my air with Air2Sea specifically because I was flying during hurricane season in and out of Puerto Rico. The flight home from the cruise was into DFW then change planes home to LAX. DFW Closed due to a thunderstorm and our AA flight did not have enough fuel to circle so we were diverted to Austin for fuel and to wait. By the time we landed in Austin, DFW was open again but now we had to wait for fuel. There was no way we would make our connection back in Dallas.

While sitting on the tarmac in Austin I called Air2Sea day of travel emergency number to see if they could help us rebook. I was told I had to contact the airline and do whatever they advised, they would not handle rebooking us or help us get a hotel. I asked about the cost of a hotel and again was told contact the airline. The airline rebooked us for the next day but because it was weather related there were no meal or hotel vouchers.

Once home I called Air2Sea thinking the person I talked to the day of travel could not be correct. I was told that because it was weather related “The delay was not caused by a failure of our system”it was the airline and the airport and they would not reimburse for my hotel,cab and meal. I asked about their guarantees and was told “we only promise to get you to your destination and we did the next day”. They said any delay caused by the airline, airport or FAA has to be taken up with the airline. I asked “So you guarantee to get us to our destination but not the expenses related to it” and they said that is correct. She said all they do is book the flight for us, any issues with travel are between me and the airline and not them.

I wanted to share my story for others to understand what they guarantee and what they don’t. I found their flight selections to be few and on more expensive flights but I booked it because I thought they would be there to help so I went ahead and booked the more expensive flight. The web site says “rest easy knowing we’re doing everything possible to ensure that your next cruise vacation takes off and lands smoothly from beginning to end.”. Evidently everything possible ends at telling you to contact the airline, it’s not their fault.

I do recommend outside travel insurance, the claim was easy to file and they covered the costs Air2Sea did not.

Also, a coupe weeks before the cruise they changed our flights. They changed all four legs and the airports we transferred thru (DFW instead of Miami). I called and they had no explanation as to why it was changed. The flight was not canceled because the airline was still selling seats on those flights. When I purchased the flights 7 months before the cruise I had carefully selected the flights taking into account total travel time, the traffic to and from LAX and our arrival time in Puerto Rico.

So lesson learned, I hope someone else can use this information in their decision making.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This just makes me think I did the right thing by changing my return flight to the next day. We have the last flight out of Sydney at 11:30 am but dock at 6:30 am. I just don't want to put my mom thru the stress of rushing and will we make it or not. So this morning I had them change our flight.

Thanx Again!

The web site says “rest easy knowing we’re doing everything possible to ensure that your next cruise vacation takes off and lands smoothly from beginning to end.”. Evidently everything possible ends at telling you to contact the airline, it’s not their fault.

Well, that claim obviously isn't true.

Pretty sad when business lie to get your business. It happens so often many are used to accepting it. It still indicates a lack of integrity.

Thanks for sharing your Air2Sea horror experience. I do recommend outside travel insurance.

I wouldnt really call it a horror story but i would call it a complete failure to deliver on what they seem to be selling you.

.....................................Also, a coupe weeks before the cruise they changed our flights. They changed all four legs and the airports we transferred thru (DFW instead of Miami). I called and they had no explanation as to why it was changed.

This was most likely the airline's doing. It's happened to me twice recently with no third party involvement, especially when I book a good while in advance (months). Airline changes one leg so the connections no longer work and so it just ripples thru':(

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wonder how it would be different if the delay happened on the way out causing you to miss the ship?

Guess they talk about getting you there - but certainly don't mention paying for it.

I usually purchase trip insurance just for trip interruption/delays and emergency evacuation. I think most credit cards in which you paid for your trip will reimburse you for some of the costs. Worthwhile to check.

I wouldn't expect Air2Sea to cover extra expenses...they are effectively a travel agent, and they don't cover those type of expenses when there is a delay.

Truthfully, unless you have an individual travel agent who you have been working with for your whole trip I'd rather be one to make the changes in air myself.

When we travel by air, I have a list of alternative flights in hand before we even leave for the airport...especially if there is a connection involved. Something happens I'm on the phone right away while I'm waiting in line to speak to the counter agent to try and get the alternative I want before someone ahead of me in line gets it.

• Like 1

Well, their "service" is completely useless then. Anyone can book a flight with a scheduled time that works with the ship. That's trivial. It's when things go wrong that people may need help.

What do they do if you miss a connection on the way to the ship, tell you to buy a new ticket to the next port? /eyeroll

Independent travel insurance it is then, which you should probably have anyways for medical expenses.

Would you mind sharing your outside insurance company you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used Air2Sea twice. I won't go into my very unsatisfactory experience since I've written about it numerous times on CC. My last experience was just fine. I wouldn't expect the company to cover my delay costs. That is what travel insurance is for. That said, I only would use Air2Sea for my OW return flight back to the US, not the flight before my cruise. I only use them for OW transatlantics.

Would you mind sharing your outside insurance company you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use insuremytrip dot come to shop plans. I can select what's important to me then compare several companies side by side. I usually select one of the cruise specific plans from Nationwide.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wonder how it would be different if the delay happened on the way out causing you to miss the ship?

Guess they talk about getting you there - but certainly don't mention paying for it.

Not only would they not pay for it they would not even make the reservations involved. Told me to handle it myself with the airline and find my own hotel.

Got a call back from "The executive offices" following my complaint. She explained that what they can do is help in the days before sailing if the sailing changes and flights need to be rebooked." She said There is "Nothing we can do on day of travel because we do not have access to the airline inventory". I asked about the fact that this is being sold as "we will do everything possible" to resolve your problem 24/7 from beginning to end, when the truth is everything possible ends with handle it yourself. She just kept up with the usual kiss off that" I will pass on your concerns" and that they can't help on day of travel and that travel insurance from them would cover the costs but they don't help rebook flights or find hotels. She just kept repeating that they can't do anything on day of travel that the problem is because of the airline and has to be resolved with them.

I believe they did everything they could. You did get to the ship, right? The travel delay on the way home was related to weather. The airlines, when things go bad, are responsible for rebooking and rerouting you. Reservation systems are closed and only the airline can authorize a rebooking/rerouting for "free". Being at the airport and talking direct to the airlines is the best. (I know from experience on two different occasions).

Air2Sea is not an insurance company, so the hotel, taxi etc. can't be handled or reimbursed by them.

So, you made the ship, had a great vacation, had insurance, that paid for the delay, and you got home a little later than expected. What's the complaint? The weather?

I believe they did everything they could. You did get to the ship, right? The travel delay on the way home was related to weather. The airlines, when things go bad, are responsible for rebooking and rerouting you. Reservation systems are closed and only the airline can authorize a rebooking/rerouting for "free". Being at the airport and talking direct to the airlines is the best. (I know from experience on two different occasions).

Air2Sea is not an insurance company, so the hotel, taxi etc. can't be handled or reimbursed by them.

So, you made the ship, had a great vacation, had insurance, that paid for the delay, and you got home a little later than expected. What's the complaint? The weather?

That they sell it as "we will do everything possible from beginni g to end" I want people to know exactly what that means, that they will do nothing and you are on your own. So unless the problem is related to the sailing being changed and happens days in advance they dont help. People are buying this based on the service they advertise only to find out yhey do not deliver what they advertise.

We have used air2sea 7 times. Prices have always been far below anything else I could find for travel to Europe or South America especially for one way TA flights. Always found dozens of choices for airlines and flights. We had major problems when Hurricane Sandy hit New York several years ago. Our flight from CA. to Rome was cancelled by American Airlines the day of our flight. We called air2sea and they re booked us a new flight on Air France for that same day. Gave us a refund for admirals club and charged us nothing for the new flight which included a upgrade from economy coach to economy plus on the double Decker 380. Sorry you had trouble but I can not praise air2sea enough.

This was most likely the airline's doing. It's happened to me twice recently with no third party involvement, especially when I book a good while in advance (months). Airline changes one leg so the connections no longer work and so it just ripples thru':(

3 of my last 4 flights that I bought over 3 months before flight changed. Sometimes only 5-10 min, one was 3 hrs. OP's situation and Hurricanes, show you should always buy travel insurance.

• 6 months later...

don't use Air2SEA for flights they don't do much for you. you can't do yourself. notify much too late to get another flight caused use to miss three cruise days hours on the phone giving us false information about other airports that our friends flew out of with no problem never again