2017 Oceania Silversea fare comparison

meow!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2557731&page=3 posting #44

DISCUSSION

We had only been on four Silversea voyages, that would be miniscule compared to the rest of you. We do read various articles and comments on the web, and try to surmise the various facts and opinions.

Half a dozen years ago, we posted numerous times on the Oceania column, and complained about Oceania's pricing (though admitting that it was a good product, just too expensive). In those days, Oceania increased its price by some 20% every year. Also, Oceania built two medium large 60,000 tonnes, 1200 passenger ships in a row. We wondered about Oceania's ability to go on that track.

The years passed by, so far, we have not heard of any Oceania plan to build new ships, and their fares "flattened". They still have trouble filling their ships. We tried to compare Oceania pricing with Silversea pricing next year, and found a good example for comparison:

Oceania Marina PH1 mini-suite October 16 Barcelona to Venice 10 days $5549

Silversea Muse delux verandah September 29 Venice to Athens 10 days $8910

While Oceania Marina is relatively old, it was extensively refurbished last year. The mini-suite is 420 sq.ft. compared to the Muse's 387 sq.ft. The PH1 included unlimited priority specialty restaurant dining, and Oceania food was reputed to be the best. The Eastern and Western Mediterranean might have slightly different costs. But how would one justify a 60% price difference? (Of course the market decides).

Silversea has publicly committed itself to a second ship, the Silver Moon. It will have some more advanced features, like less vibration and less pollution, very commendable. But will the market support such a bold business move? The world economy could have peaked again, and the future looks uncertain. Only time will tell.

As compared to other luxury lines, we do not like the RSSC ships (mostly reconstructed hulls, and mandatory inclusion of shore excursions). We do not like Crystal (very expensive with small cabins and hinging everything on an unquantifiable called "service"). By what we have read, we wish to try Seabourn in the next few years if we can find a suitable itinerary (e.g. on the west coast if we can afford it and are still healthy enough to travel).

In the meantime, we will keep posting and talk with all of you nice folks.

We have recently wrote a report on our 14 days Montreal to Fort Lauderdale voyage aboard the Silver Muse. Those interested please read

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2557731

Of special interest to Oceania enthusiasts would be the posting on their price comparison (see quote above). Perhaps we can hear more comments from more perspectives. By the way, besides four voyages on Silversea totalling 46 days, we also had been on two Oceania R ships, Barcelona to Venice (14 days) and Venice to Athens (12 days).

Barcelona to Venice– Oceania Regatta April 2004

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16812 (Part I)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16814 (Part II)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16815 (Part III)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16817 (Part IV)

Eastern Mediterranean – Oceania Nautica October 2008

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=869685

Edited by meow!

Sorry, I not only don't understand the purpose of your post plus you've offered some price comparison on two different lines and the only commonality is they are both for 10 days. I see pricing variation on the very same itinerary on just one cruise line within weeks of each other so I think you need better apples.

What discussion are you looking for? A price or value comparison of O class vs. Silversea from recent cruisers on both?

Potential points to discuss:

* How and why fares of a cruise line change over the years?

* Between cruise lines, how would relative fare changes affect sales?

* How will building new ships, possibly over building affect a cruise line's prospects?

* Will the above considerations affect your choice of cruise lines?

* Is the choice of cruise line mostly decided by loyalty or value at any moment?

Perhaps these are "brainstorm" questions more interesting than "trivia" questions?

Read “topics” of discussion, waaay to deep for my limited retired brain on a forum for Oceania topics. Probably should move to a general discussion Forum.

But the present discussion is on Oceania versus Silversea development through the years.

But the present discussion is on Oceania versus Silversea development through the years.

Why is there any need for a discussion, when the outcome (i.e. that the all inclusive Silversea Cruise is about $3000 more than a vaguely comparable Oceania cruise) is EXACTLY what one would expect?

We are both O and Silversea fans. It is really hard to compare the two.

1) The Muse is a new ship and thus its fares are high as there is a huge demand and most voyages will sellout. Therefore their prices will be at a premium until Moon comes out -- very similar to what happens with any cruise lines new ship class (whether O, RCI or NCL). Then over capacity takes it toll.

2) The level of service and food are entirely different. SS is more inclusive.

3) O is having difficulties in filling its ships especially the larger Riviera and Marina -- having to use gimicks like PE for $179 and the O life. Pull the O life out and the air out to do the comparison.

4) We prefer the smaller SS ships like Spirit and Wind plus the ultra small Explorer.

5) I did a comparison for a combined Norway and Baltic cruise on Spirit (newly refurbished and enlarged) versus Nautica for 2019. On a per day basis SS was cheaper.

Sorry, I not only don't understand the purpose of your post plus you've offered some price comparison on two different lines and the only commonality is they are both for 10 days. I see pricing variation on the very same itinerary on just one cruise line within weeks of each other so I think you need better apples.

What discussion are you looking for? A price or value comparison of O class vs. Silversea from recent cruisers on both?

Sorry, but I don't understand or just don't get it.

I'm with this group. Plus I think you made some assumptions and stated them as fact that's probably not correct.

Do you have proof for this statement?

" and their fares "flattened". They still have trouble filling their ships."

I'm with this group. Plus I think you made some assumptions and stated them as fact that's probably not correct.

Do you have proof for this statement?

" and their fares "flattened". They still have trouble filling their ships."

There is no absolute "proof", just general observation, looking at Oceania's website from time to time. By the way, the same situation is true of most cruise lines.

On the contrary, do you have evidence that the majority of Oceania's sailings are full, and the majority of them are substantially more expensive now than a couple of years ago?

We are both O and Silversea fans. It is really hard to compare the two.

1) The Muse is a new ship and thus its fares are high as there is a huge demand and most voyages will sellout. Therefore their prices will be at a premium until Moon comes out -- very similar to what happens with any cruise lines new ship class (whether O, RCI or NCL). Then over capacity takes it toll.

2) The level of service and food are entirely different. SS is more inclusive.

3) O is having difficulties in filling its ships especially the larger Riviera and Marina -- having to use gimicks like PE for $179 and the O life. Pull the O life out and the air out to do the comparison.

4) We prefer the smaller SS ships like Spirit and Wind plus the ultra small Explorer.

5) I did a comparison for a combined Norway and Baltic cruise on Spirit (newly refurbished and enlarged) versus Nautica for 2019. On a per day basis SS was cheaper.

Thank you kindly for your objective observations. They are similar to what we are trying to say. There are still particular voyages where the small Oceania ships are more expensive than Silversea ships. While on the whole, the larger Oceania ships have become relatively cheaper through the years (and perhaps better value) than Silversea ships.

So for passengers, compare and consider before you buy. And for Silversea, it will be prudent to hold off the new Moon indefinitely to avoid "self competition" as Oceania did a half dozen years ago.

There is no absolute "proof", just general observation, looking at Oceania's website from time to time. By the way, the same situation is true of most cruise lines.

On the contrary, do you have evidence that the majority of Oceania's sailings are full, and the majority of them are substantially more expensive now than a couple of years ago?

Only personal perception of being on their ships 3 or 4 cruises a year for the past 5 years. They seem pretty full most of the time, but I don't ask for exact numbers from anyone. So I have no evidence, just observation. I have no idea what others pay for the trips. I have noticed quite a few people here observing that Oceania's fares keep going up every year. though.

I'm sure we can all find whatever anecdotal evidence to support our point of view.

A cruise is supposed to be a vacation, not a chore. If I took the time and trouble to make all these comparisons I'ld write off the whole thing. I want fun, not work.

Absolutely. While I appreciate those that love to do great reviews and comparisons, it's just not me. I spend my time just enjoying it as it comes along.

I have enough difficulty trying to compare value on paper - note: not price, between Celebrity, Azamara and Oceania, trying to compare Oceania with SilverSea is a futile effort. There is too much difference between a so-called ultra-premium cruise line vs. a luxury cruise line.

A cruise is supposed to be a vacation, not a chore. If I took the time and trouble to make all these comparisons I'ld write off the whole thing. I want fun, not work.

To some people, pre-cruise research can be part of the fun.

To some people, pre-cruise research can be part of the fun.

Researching the ports yes.

I too do not understand the purpose of this exercise. Moreover price is not my first consideration when I cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums