Anyone on Eclipse in last month? Anyone get sick?

Tarwood3

HI all. Myself, my partner, my mom and her best friend were on the May 20th sailing round trip out of Dublin to the Norwegian Fjords. The cruise was amazing, the fjords spectacular and weather couldn’t have been better. Only downside was that my mom’s best friend became sick on day 3 of 8 day cruise. She really never left her bed after day 3. She went to the ship doctor and was diagnosed with a “virus” and gave her an antibiotic. She continued to get worse. By time we disembarked, she needed a wheelchair thru the airports and once we wer back in Florida, she went straight to the hospital. She was diagnosed with Pneumonia caused by Legianella bacteria which is the cause of Legionnaires disease. I guess typically the source is air vents, water faucets etc. Apparently cruise ships are a major source of the transmission of Legianella bacteria. The health dept came to her hospital bed and interviewed her to do an investigation . She was hospitalized for 5 days. About a week later, she had to meet with a CDC doctor who told her he was fairly certain it probably came from the rain shower head in the bathroom?? Odd. But ok. I dont know if he narrowed it down to that because my mom didnt get sick and they were sharing a cabin and mom didnt use the rain shower head, she used the normal shower head only? To me, it sounds like the doctor was just making an educated guess since ships are the most common source apparently and because of the timing of when she started showing symptoms? To me. I’m a bit skeptical, perhaps the airplane, the hotel in Dublin, back home in Florida? But what do i know, I’m not a doctor. But it has been a back and forth thing and constant speculation ever since. I just thought I would see if anyone else came down with it while on the ship or has heard anything about anyone taking ill. They were in sky suite 2132 (12 th deck)....The rest of us were totally fine, so...just weird. Thanks for everyone’s time....

Legionella bacteria can come from all kinds of things, swimming pools, hot tubs(along with all kinds of other "bugs") cooling systems, fountains, standing water....you may never know where she contracted it...

I hope she is feeling better now...

So sorry to learn she took ill. Where did she go on days 1-3 before she stayed in her room? Any shore excursions? And where did you stay the day before the cruise? Don't discount those locations.

Yep, it could be anywhere. Thats what we have said. We were at the Westbury Hotel in Dublin for 2 days before cruise. Day 1 was on ship, day 2 was sea day and she did a facial and shopped and day 3 we were in Bergen...that was the last night she ate with us. By a.m. she never wanted to leave the room. I think incubation time is 2-10 days if I remember correctly. So its possible...

And, it's possible her immune system was compromised in some fashion, which is why the rest of you weren't affected.

Well, that is for sure. Me and my partner are very health minded, eat well, exercise a lot and my mom, for 70 is in great shape, her friend...not so much...so the weakened immune system has always been suspect.

While unlikely, if she got a facial with steam, she may have gotten Legionnaires from that? That specific bacteria likes to hang out in water, if I’m recalling correctly.

As a side note: We were on the May 10th sailing and none in our party of 4 came home ill. Speedy recovery to her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in the Eclipse 03/18/18 I and DW caught a flu with cough and phlegm, burning throat and fever, we were in cabin veranda 6264. When we got home we went to the doctor and prescribed antibiotics that took effect after a week , but we continue with the cough and phlegm. I'm going to go to the doctor again so they can check me well.

Coincidentally, I was on Eclipse in April for a two-week cruise and one day after my return I also came down with pneumonia, lower left lobe pneumonia to be exact! Most likely the time difference was too long to be related to your wife's illness, but still one has to wonder. I don't know how long viruses can hang around on a surface and still be nasty critters capable of causing illness.

I hope your wife has fully recovered. It took me nearly a month to feel like I was back to normal. Like you, my husband never fell ill and I'm really glad he didn't.

I just got off Eclipse and was on the May 28th-June 7th itinerary. We were in cabin #1552. I did come down with a cough (day 2) but not enough to prevent me from doing anything onboard or in ports. I did take over the counter meds. Luckily I always bring some with me. I also make sure I have current immunizations and that includes the Pneumonia vaccine now offered. You can never be too careful as you age to protect your health when traveling.

I was on the exact cruise May 20-28, Eclipse and also got very sick. I developed a bad cough about 3 days into the cruise and though a wonderful trip did not eat much breakfast and was in bed right after dinner each night. I also used a wheelchair waiting in the Dublin airport for 7 hours and was quite ill on the 7 hour plane trip to Boston. After 5 hours Home I went to ER and was told I had pneumonia. The next day I went back to to ER and was admitted for 4 days in infectious control unit diagnosed with FluB, whooping cough and community access pneumonia. I can’t believe with the gorgeous scenery, beautiful weather and meeting wonderful table mates from Finland, Scotland and USA that I felt I was dying. My husband and I were on the Eclipse March 14-30th to Southern Caribbean and the last 3 days he got sick and day after coming home had pneumonia. I wash my hands constantly after 29 cruises with Celebrity and was in room 9334.

We were on the Eclipse May 20-May 28. I have lung damage that leaves me very susceptible to colds, pneumonia and bronchitis. About 50% of the time following a cruise or airline flight, I end up with some kind of respiratory thing.

On this trip - nothing. Not from four plane rides, Dublin hotel or cruise. Sorry about your mom and hope she's feeling better soon.

I was on the exact cruise May 20-28, Eclipse and also got very sick. I developed a bad cough about 3 days into the cruise and though a wonderful trip did not eat much breakfast and was in bed right after dinner each night. I also used a wheelchair waiting in the Dublin airport for 7 hours and was quite ill on the 7 hour plane trip to Boston. After 5 hours Home I went to ER and was told I had pneumonia. The next day I went back to to ER and was admitted for 4 days in infectious control unit diagnosed with FluB, whooping cough and community access pneumonia. I can’t believe with the gorgeous scenery, beautiful weather and meeting wonderful table mates from Finland, Scotland and USA that I felt I was dying. My husband and I were on the Eclipse March 14-30th to Southern Caribbean and the last 3 days he got sick and day after coming home had pneumonia. I wash my hands constantly after 29 cruises with Celebrity and was in room 9334.

Thank you for sharing...certainly makes me wonder if something is going on with that ship. Obviously cruisecritic people represent only a small percentage of the total number of passengers. Makes you wonder how many people actually have a similar ailment but we will never know since they arent on social media....

HI all. Myself, my partner, my mom and her best friend were on the May 20th sailing round trip out of Dublin to the Norwegian Fjords. The cruise was amazing, the fjords spectacular and weather couldn’t have been better. Only downside was that my mom’s best friend became sick on day 3 of 8 day cruise. She really never left her bed after day 3. She went to the ship doctor and was diagnosed with a “virus” and gave her an antibiotic. She continued to get worse. By time we disembarked, she needed a wheelchair thru the airports and once we wer back in Florida, she went straight to the hospital. She was diagnosed with Pneumonia caused by Legianella bacteria which is the cause of Legionnaires disease. I guess typically the source is air vents, water faucets etc. Apparently cruise ships are a major source of the transmission of Legianella bacteria. The health dept came to her hospital bed and interviewed her to do an investigation . She was hospitalized for 5 days. About a week later, she had to meet with a CDC doctor who told her he was fairly certain it probably came from the rain shower head in the bathroom?? Odd. But ok. I dont know if he narrowed it down to that because my mom didnt get sick and they were sharing a cabin and mom didnt use the rain shower head, she used the normal shower head only? To me, it sounds like the doctor was just making an educated guess since ships are the most common source apparently and because of the timing of when she started showing symptoms? To me. I’m a bit skeptical, perhaps the airplane, the hotel in Dublin, back home in Florida? But what do i know, I’m not a doctor. But it has been a back and forth thing and constant speculation ever since. I just thought I would see if anyone else came down with it while on the ship or has heard anything about anyone taking ill. They were in sky suite 2132 (12 th deck)....The rest of us were totally fine, so...just weird. Thanks for everyone’s time....

I just contacted Celebrity customer service 844-418-6824 and told them I got flu and pneumonia from this cruise on Eclipse and they said no one else has put in a complaint. I ended up in isolation right from the ship.

On our first Eclipse trips a few years back I had 24 hours of flu like symptoms onboard followed by a cough that stayed with me for weeks afterwards. I read about “cruise cough’ mainly caused by the nasal passages drying out making you more likely to pick up a bug so started to use saline nasal sprays on cruises. This seemed to work until our Symphony Cruise last month when I got the exact same cough which is still with me.

I’ve read other ideas such as hanging a damp hand towel in your cabin at night to keep the air moist can help stop your nasal passages drying out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recirculated air on planes is terrible for spreading germs and bacteria, I caught chicken pox from a flight back from the USA in my mid 20s, I ended up with post viral fatigue. Hated plane travel ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We were on the Eclipse for both the Norway cruise and the Iceland cruise right before. We didn't encounter any illness during both cruises. Sorry to hear you had such a difficult time. Unfortunately, that is a high risk with cruises. Our friend who we cruise with a good deal, seem to always encounter some illness.

With 3000 passengers and over 1000 crew on every sailing there are going to be people who get sick. Could it be because of the ship, yes, but with that many people gathered ANYWHERE some people are going to get sick....when enough are sick to indicate a "sick" ship precautions are taken because the cruise line doesn't want it anymore than the passengers.....

We sailed on Eclipse for 2 weeks in April and never got sick, nor did anyone we travelled with...but I am sure there were others that did.

We sailed on Eclipse two weeks in January and then again two weeks in March with no issues. Last year we were on the same itinerary on her and ended up sick with bad cold viruses or some type of mild flu (never so bad we had to go to the doctor).

As has been said, with that many people onboard (passengers and staff) from all over the world, it is unreasonable to expect that no one will get sick. Statistically there will always be some. Last spring we traveled a lot on cruises all winter into spring, and in the 1st 6 months of the year we caught no fewer than SIX colds. Ugh. This year, we sailed even more (8 weeks total) and the only thing we caught was a mild cold on one of the trips.

If the CDC was involved, I am sure they worked with cruise line personnel to evaluate a possible link to the ship. The fact that no one has heard anything further about that leads me to believe the illness was not due to condition on the ship. These have happened before on ships (not sure if to Celebrity or not) - usually problems with the whirlpool.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, ohhbother said:

All, if you followed along on my Live thread, you know we loved our 12/1 cruise on the Edge. But there is one thing that really concerns me. The handwashing stations in Oceanview Cafe aren't going to cut it. The vast majority of people skipped handwashing entirely, and there are no Purell dispensers before you enter. It's either use the handwashing sinks or nothing. My husband and I liked the sinks -- better for our skin than using so much Purell -- and we washed our hands every time. But, as I said, A LOT of people didn't. We'd like to see Purell stands placed there in addition to the sinks. That way, maybe people would use one of the two.

I became quite ill on day 3 and had concerns about the very same thing.  Passengers are not washing their hands before entering Ocean View.